Not open for further replies.

Theresa

Aug 30, 2006
Amanda
www.bloomingflowers.net
State / Prov
OH
Just experimenting with paper plates again...:smurf

Had a few leftover Easter flowers, and decided to make a wrist corsage. The base is made from a paper plate and Easter ribbon. Glued the leaves and flowers, the ribbon is wired. Posting photo's below.

I am wearing it today to see how it holds up, it is very light. It doesn't look bad and I am thinking clear plastic would work too.

Attachments

• base.JPG
    base.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 130
  • wrist corsage pink.JPG
    wrist corsage pink.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 164
Wow! Do I ever love this idea! Creativity is an awesome thing.:yourock:

fun to see what others are experimenting with. we've worked up something similar with felt, thought it would be softer on the wrists. Also just picked up some sequined trim at a fabric store. Getting out the sewing machine tonight to stitch this into a band for wristlettes. If it works I'll go back for all the colors, black, vivid blue, green, hot pink. Our kids love the colors and the glitz.

I've used the sequin elastic banding from the fabric store for several years and - works very well. Just watch your sewing maching needle stitching thru the sequins.

We have used fancy hair scrunchies as wristletts!
They work great!

how does she wear on wrist, do you have to tie ribbon around wrist, since there is no elastic wristband?

Yes, tie the ribbon around the wrist and make a nice bow.

The corsage is holding up well. Thought about tying it to my dog....oh well, maybe next time.

The Oasis glue will hold sequin trim onto the velcro wrist corsage band.

Thanks for sharing your design tips!

I took the flowers off to keep the pattern. the paper plate is not visible with the flowers, so I don't think it will receive any of the spray. I'll go spray the plate then put it in the cooler to see what happens. I think wax coated plates would work, they are a bit thicker too, but since we use lots of these things (I'm the dishwasher) I buy the cheap brand.

Experiment results: Sprayed the paper plate pattern with 3 shots of crowning glory each side from about 8 inches away. The plate pattern was very limpy, and would probably have ripped if worn right away. Stashed it in the cooler, and when it was dry, it was fine, and surprisingly stronger, since the crowning glory coated it.

I don't have orders for these, but may use them for those that want a lower cost wrist corsage, or just want a matching ribbon tie.

Future experimentation.... a small posy that traditionally would be wired....

I am so proud of myself, guys! You have to know my history. I've just spent 18 months working for a woman who wouldn't let me touch the flowers, except to clean them. I have been SO frustrated. I am working for her next week (delivering), and then I'm GONE, and off on my next adventure.

Well, I have 17 year old triplets, and two of them are going to the prom tonight. I made 2 boutonnieres and one wrist corsage this morning. I followed Theresa's idea, but instead of paper plate, I used an oval of those foam sheets they sell at Michael's, etc. It doesn't show at all beneath the flowers, but gave them a nice base.

Here are a couple of pics. I know this is old hat to most of you, but I gotta tell you, I'm THRILLED!!!! Oh, and I've since added a leaf to the "top" side of the wrist corsage... below the looped sheer ribbon, but above the wrist tying ribbon. After seeing it in the pic, I thought it needed that for balance.

So, should I continue in the floral biz, or should I give up (as I was considering) and try to get a job at my kids' school?

Beth :~)

Attachments

• Bourtonnierre Sm.jpg
    Bourtonnierre Sm.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Boutonnierre and Corsage Sm.jpg
    Boutonnierre and Corsage Sm.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 82
Thank you, Cathy!

She doesn't like the usual elasticized wristlets, so I made it with just a piece of grosgrain + sheer ribbon, and thought I might need more to build on that just the ribbon. Maybe I don't??

Thanks again,

That's so funny, I bought some foam too - the thicker type. I was concerned about the paper holding up in the cooler, and the homemade look of it. And your work is really lovely.

As far as continuing, or moving on career wise - is there no other shop you could try your hand at? Seems to me that you enjoy the business enough to suck it up at a place you didn't really want to be ........ so any other spot, if they let you touch the flowers, would be an improvement. I think you should look around some, get your resume in order with all the grunt work and better work you did. Check with your wholesalers, it's the first place I looked when I needed help, and they hooked me up with a designer.

good luck Beth!
tracy

Beth:

Keep it up!!!!!!!

They look good.

I do have one suggestion though, and this isn't a criticism. You may want to keep the boutiniere stems just a tad bit longer.

Again Good Job!
Joe

Thanks Tracy and Joe,

Great minds think alike, Tracy (re: the foam)! LOL Oh, great suggestion about talking to wholesalers! Thank you!

Joe, keep the stems longer? I can do that! Thank you! And I know I need to work on tapering the stems better, as well.

You guys are making me smile!

Thanks Tracy and Joe,

Great minds think alike, Tracy (re: the foam)! LOL Oh, great suggestion about talking to wholesalers! Thank you!

Joe, keep the stems longer? I can do that! Thank you! And I know I need to work on tapering the stems better, as well.

You guys are making me smile!

Beth,

Wanna know an even easier trick? Instead of wiring and taping the bout just gather the flowers you want to use in your hand and secure them with oasis decorative wire (the medium thickness). I wrap it around the neck of the flowers two or three times and then loop it up behind the flowers and then down the stem to the bottom. It looks awesome and literally takes ONE minute!!!

Beth,

Wanna know an even easier trick? Instead of wiring and taping the bout just gather the flowers you want to use in your hand and secure them with oasis decorative wire (the medium thickness). I wrap it around the neck of the flowers two or three times and then loop it up behind the flowers and then down the stem to the bottom. It looks awesome and literally takes ONE minute!!!

Very cool, Felicity! Did I see J do that on JTV? I'm not sure, but sounds familiar.

Beth, take your talent where it can expand even more...if you are limited by her "limitations" and she cannot recognize your ability and talent then start looking. Don't waste your talent..take it where it will let you expand what you already have...ever consider South Florida?????
You are articulate, friendly and obviously have the creative gene...her loss if you leave...
Sher

Status
Not open for further replies.