WS Desperate for filling shops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe florists should believe the hype. The statistics show that floral sales at florist shops have not risen for a few years now. That means that when you factor in inflation, sales are falling.

I think florists are so blinded with not filling wire orders that they are losing the consumer. Look at FTD and 800Flowers and Proflowers, these corporations are increasing their direct shipped sales. Those sales are sales not going to florists.

I can see not filling orders for ordergatherers, but by limiting the consumers choices to send flowers to family and friends, can backfire. We should be spending more time working to make sales grow instead of putting roadblocks on the flower buying public.

You guys missed the point. Too much talk about wire services is negative. The person that started this thread makes comments like...... " Many shops are caught in a mirage, and they are enthusiastic to fill WS direct to consumer and OG orders, not understanding the long term effect on the industry.
We're shooting ourselves in the foot if we keep filling the orders as they are sent to us. We must help other shop owners understand this. I recognize that some consumers will or may choose to spend their gift dollars on chocolates or other gift items. (this is a much spoken concern) The health of our industry should come first. The customers will follow."

This type of comment is out of focus. THE CONSUMER WILL NOT FOLLOW. They are the ones we need to stay in business. In order to be successful you have to give them what they are looking for. The original poster is a member of FTD. If he actually believes what he is saying, why belong at all? I agree that wire service specials are sometimes out of touch with practicality, but consumers still want these types of floral gifts. And to say that the health of our industry hinges on us not giving the consumer what they want is crazy. Now I am not saying fill orders for ordergatherers, but if those orders could only be purchased and filled by real florists, then they lose.

And the consumers willingness to purchase gifts other then flowers is real. And if we don't get with the program that they, the consumer, demand, then we will disappear, not the ordergatherers. FTD, 800Flowers will still be selling dropped shipped items, we will be the ones with empty shops wondering where did all the customers go.

Somebody call the butterfly net people - bloomz agrees with the Fox.

I think this makes a couple times now.

Scary

Those products that consumers want and buy in droves are very well researched. They're not promoting them because they don't sell.

Don't sell them if you don't want to - but I will.

I've got to change bloomz

Somebody call the butterfly net people - bloomz agrees with the Fox.

I think this makes a couple times now.

Scary

Those products that consumers want and buy in droves are very well researched. They're not promoting them because they don't sell.

Don't sell them if you don't want to - but I will.
Man, I'm going to have to change my way of thinking if you are starting to agree with me. Next thing I know you will be saying you're going to vote Republican!

While I work on my website, streamline my advertising, knock on local business doors, network, send out fliers to my customers and new potential customers, promote holiday specials, keep on top of my POS, bill my house accounts, I still fill wire orders. Until all of plan b comes together, that's just where I'm at. You want an order, large or small, I'm your shop. Six pink carnations, a truckload of baby's breath and a big a@@ bow, glad it's going to your house not mine, but I'll still make it. Don't have what you want, I'll get it for tomorrow. Some OG's and skimmers, I have learned to avoid, if you hassle me I reject it. For now that's the daily operating agenda.

Yes we can, yes we will, and when would you like it delivered?

Reactions: 5 people
And that's a darn good attitude, TCB.

While I work on my website, streamline my advertising, knock on local business doors, network, send out fliers to my customers and new potential customers, promote holiday specials, keep on top of my POS, bill my house accounts, I still fill wire orders. Until all of plan b comes together, that's just where I'm at. You want an order, large or small, I'm your shop. Six pink carnations, a truckload of baby's breath and a big a@@ bow, glad it's going to your house not mine, but I'll still make it. Don't have what you want, I'll get it for tomorrow. Some OG's and skimmers, I have learned to avoid, if you hassle me I reject it. For now that's the daily operating agenda.

What a great attitude! If you ever decide to move to sunny Southern California, I have a spot for you!

This is exactly what I mean when I state that bend-over-backwards customer service is one of our most potent weapons against the dot-cons

This is exactly what I mean when I state that bend-over-backwards customer service is one of our most potent weapons against the dot-cons

AND, we need to continue firing "warning shots" over their "bows"

This is just about the most definitive statement I have ever heard regarding customer service. This paragraph should be stapled up in every flower design room across the country!

I nominate Ivygreen for Florist of the Month.

Man, I'm going to have to change my way of thinking if you are starting to agree with me. Next thing I know you will be saying you're going to vote Republican!

It could happen - I did vote for Nixon back then.....

I'm not a Demoncrat - they're pretty dumb - well, second in dumbness only to the Republicantz.

Rock on!........

AND, we need to continue firing "warning shots" over their "bows"

This is just about the most definitive statement I have ever heard regarding customer service. This paragraph should be stapled up in every flower design room across the country!

I nominate Ivygreen for Florist of the Month.

Yes! Yes! And yes again! And two more times, yes!

sell what you want to send

When I take an order for out of town - I only sell designer's choice. I tell the client that it is the best way to get a nice arrangement, to let the florist on the other end use what is prettiest in their shop right now.

And I don't wire for strangers - only my good clients and corporate clients who are using me to save time. When a stranger calls and wants to send stuff out of town, I look up a local florist for them and tell them to call direct.

While I agree that customers should get a degree of customer service in direct proportion to what they are willing to pay for (no more--no less), and I would agree that most legitimate traditional florists would want to believe the above statement . . . the sad truth is that any florist who believes that statement just isn't paying attention to what's happening and probably has no clue about how to accurately make or effectively read a P&L Statement.

.Coms aren't using "bend-over-backwards customer service" to take retail florist customers away in DROVES ! ! ! They're using very well researched and well funded internet nationwide shotgun marketing techniques. And blind and stupid florists are not only letting it happen . . . they're in fact helping them do it.

Florists have a responsibility to themselves, as business people, to market their own business effectively in their own areas. Most don't. Or they do it ineffectively by marketing to thin air. Florists have a responsibility to themselves, as business people, to recognize competition and compete effectively against it. Most don't. They not only don't compete. They, in fact, do everything they can to help competitors take over their local markets by filling for them. Most florists are bending over backwards to give their own local markets away to these internet carpetbaggers free and clear and pretty much unchallenged. And all too many of them are blindly and stupidly using that "bend-over-backwards customer service" on their competitors' orders to help those competitors take over their own local markets.

So long as we not only refuse to recognize where we're getting our butts kicked and so long as we refuse to meet the competitor where he's doing the most damage, he will continue to do his damage and he will eventually put us out of business. I've got a bridge to sell to anybody who thinks otherwise.

We should be using our resources to butt heads with the .coms where they're living in our local areas. Too many of us, however, don't think that can be done or just don't know how so we prefer to waste any advertising money that we're williing to spend on obsolete methods targeting obsolete markets that no longer exist. Meanwhile, the .coms, who've spent millions figuring out who buys what, are well on their way to training America's REAL flower buyers on how to make them their flower and gift source. And they're doing it while florists who have pretty much no basis for their own marketing opinions and beliefs are sitting around in some self-delusional state and trying to fool themselves into thinking they can stay in business and compete because they're willing to give the farm away in the name of customer service.

That prevailing attitude, by itself, among florists is probably going to be sufficient to kill the industry. But if it isn't, those florists without a clue who think that they're doing the smart thing by continuing to fill for their biggest direct competitors who are good enough to send them wire orders so they can hang on a little longer may well finish the job.

Reactions: 1 person
It looks like we have done our job....... There is power in numbers:thumbsup I am an independent shop and they call me all the time to fill orders they cant fill . The last one at Thanksgiving the OG calls me at 7 AM not even open yet and wants me to deliver Web order ### 30 miles to delivery town. I told him it would cost $5.00 extra.

The last one at Thanksgiving the OG calls me at 7 AM not even open yet and wants me to deliver Web order ### 30 miles to delivery town. I told him it would cost $5.00 extra.
I'd have told them $25.00... $0.50/milelol

It looks like we have done our job....... There is power in numbers:thumbsup I am an independent shop and they call me all the time to fill orders they cant fill . The last one at Thanksgiving the OG calls me at 7 AM not even open yet and wants me to deliver Web order ### 30 miles to delivery town. I told him it would cost $5.00 extra.

Lemme see now . . .

60 mile round trip = gas cost $10.00 or more.
Driver time 1.5 hours = $15.00 or more.
Wear and tear, insurance, and taxes on vehicle = $5.00 or more.

Total cost, if you're lucky and nothing happens . . . $30.00.

Yep, you told him. Exactly what he wanted to hear.

Lemme see now . . .

You are so smart ......My point exactly that is why I did not fill the order!

I'd have told them $25.00... $0.50/milelol

Lemme see now . . .

No, IRS says or did say a while back 50cts per mile.

60 mile round trip equals $30.00

Delivery driver time $10 per hour (total cost) assume a pay scale of $7.50.

1.5 hours time equals $15.00

Total delivery cost $45.00

joe

Status
Not open for further replies.