WS Member Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
when we all voted to sell.

....not all. I wanted to tear the check up when it came in from the
Perry Group, knowing the flower shop business as I knew it was history.

With almost twice the shops paying dues it should help Teleflora Order gathering business. Every day it seems teleflora calls trying to place a 29.99 total order. No doubt already rejected by another member. They like 800 and FTD are going after this low end order. From you flowers also pushes this price point.

Once again with more shops paying dues they may be able to improve there tech and catch back up to FTD. This would put more pressure on FTD member numbers.

I think with so many orders being direct shipped FTD is trying to create orders to keep members. With florist.com and florist express they hope to accomplish this and also go after flowers sent today who took all there orders to 800

The reason they push those price point is simply because in most of the country those are the price points that sell well. Everywhere except for maybe 5-10 miles out from a major city...I was in for a rude awakening when going from Brookline, Ma to Melrose, Ma in terms of what will sell for what price....I was used to selling nothing smaller than a 40.00 arrangement with averages being 75-100. Now I make 25-35 dollar arrangements on a daily basis...With my averages being 50-75. What we as an industry need to see is that not everyone wants to spend 40.00 plus delivery and it puts people off as flowers to send...We as an industry really need to listen to the customer and find out what it is they want to send and better help them to pick a price range...If someone wants a small thank you, generally they do not want to spend 40 buck plus delivery, however a husband sending to a wife may be willing to spend 75-100...

We need to learn what sells from all these master marketers and take back the bsiness we have lost by forcing the 40.00 or higher price points...We have done most of this to ourselves and continue to do it daily.

Reactions: 1 person
The reason they push those price point is simply because in most of the country those are the price points that sell well. Everywhere except for maybe 5-10 miles out from a major city...I was in for a rude awakening when going from Brookline, Ma to Melrose, Ma in terms of what will sell for what price....I was used to selling nothing smaller than a 40.00 arrangement with averages being 75-100. Now I make 25-35 dollar arrangements on a daily basis...With my averages being 50-75. What we as an industry need to see is that not everyone wants to spend 40.00 plus delivery and it puts people off as flowers to send...We as an industry really need to listen to the customer and find out what it is they want to send and better help them to pick a price range...If someone wants a small thank you, generally they do not want to spend 40 buck plus delivery, however a husband sending to a wife may be willing to spend 75-100...

We need to learn what sells from all these master marketers and take back the bsiness we have lost by forcing the 40.00 or higher price points...We have done most of this to ourselves and continue to do it daily.

I agree, someone sending something for a thank you really only wants something small and wants to spend between $20.00 and $35.00.

My most popular size that we do daily and sells the best is $25.00., it usually consist of some roses, alstro, solidago or buplureum with carns. I sells really well at that price point and its a cute arrangement. I try to keep that customer from walking out without anything at all. Yesterday I did three budvases that were $10.50, they were cute and the customer was satisified. That will keep them coming back.

When people want to send something out of town, most only want to spend $25.00 or $30.00., with most wire service minimums at $35.00 plus delivery it discourages the customer from sending.

I love the large orders where we can use a wider range of flowers and be more creative, but cute and simple is what sells for us on the daily average.

David - I do believe there are plans to open this up to everyone on the drawing board - an idea who's time has come.
For now we can send them either TF or FTD (or BN if you're a member) thru the direct network. stay tuned for more info or call me after the holidays and I'll fill you in with more I know about.

Thank you - that was my belief and thanks for confirming this - I think this will end up being good news also for the remaining teacious professional shops. Also - thank you for being one that understands what I mean when I talk about shops folding - I think some here think it's heartless of me - it will be good for the industry and as we know, it really isn't good for the industry to be full of hobbiests - it's a serious business that needs serious professionals to keep our image up.

I wish we had numbers in the US for that - maybe SAF would know. I'll call them when I get time.

Wanting businesses to close is not heartless....I had a florist shop open up about three blocks from me...It was called my secret garden and ebay flower shop...Not sure what that meant, I wandered in and it was definately a FWOAC. I gave them 3-4 months before they closed, I was close it was 5....I don't need shops like that in my market...I don't need shops that carry crap flowers, I don't need shops that can't design, I don't need shops that copy my windows because they can't do their own...What I do want is shops that offer something different than me, a different style, a different product, something that gives people choice and me a bit of real competition...Give me some business owners that are passionate about what they do...so when I meet up with them in town we actually have something to talk about...

When people want to send something out of town, most only want to spend $25.00 or $30.00., with most wire service minimums at $35.00 plus delivery it discourages the customer from sending.
Hence the reason I give my customers your number to call direct...removes the discouragement factor, and they actually feel like you care and understand...they will come back!

Reactions: 1 person
Hence the reason I give my customers your number to call direct...removes the discouragement factor, and they actually feel like you care and understand...they will come back!

I do this, too. If I think a customer is a fussy one or wants to spend just the minimum on flowers, I will look through my list and give them 2 or 3 numbers to call...They appreciate the service and I appreciate not having to jump through hoops to make what they want or need to happen...

I don't like to have to give out the numbers(after all it is a way I make money), but when dealing with items this close to minimums it is way better than dealing with the complaint and/or the out of pocket refund and makes me look like the bestest person in the world..

And thats what I do too Boss. But being from a small town, we still do have people that don't have checking accounts, debit cards or credit cards, that where it hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.