You gotta love a place that doesn't take itself too seriously!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patty

Jan 15, 2006
Overland Park
www.flowerskc.com
State / Prov
Ks
Long story short . . .in the midst of a VERY busy day, I tried to send flowers for a customer to Red River, New Mexico. Wasn't happenin'--it's a small town with 6000 bikers there for a rally this weekend!

So I looked up the Chamber of Commerce tosee if there was anyone there who would send anything for them . . .the Bull Pen would deliver lunch! No other options.

However, in the process of finding the Chamber, I was on their website and here are a couple of excerpts:

" Nearby Wheeler Peak is 13,161 foot above sea level, the highest peak in New Mexico. Okay - some sources claim that the altitude is 13,160 feet. Rocks are rocks and if some fall off and roll down the mountain, well... The point is that once you are above 13,000 feet, what difference does one foot make to your lungs, which are already struggling to adjust to the thin air?

Average daytime temperature during the summer is 75° (F) while the nighttime cools to an average of 39° (F). Compare that to the average daytime summer temperature in Dallas: 3,251° daytime and 3,250° at night. (Warning the Dallas temperature is an estimate only and in no way is sanctioned by the U.S. Weather Bureau.)

Red River's population according to the Census 2000 is about 485 - four hundred fifty Republicans and thirty-five Democrats (unofficially), depending on the time of year and who's running for election. Fortunately, it's not an election year so everybody will be in a good mood.

Locals frequently wave at people they don't know. Wave back."

I loved it!

Alana writes much the same way. I love it. Thanks for sharing and for making me smile and wave.

V

I love it! I am a big fan of that style. Anytime I go into a store that has that kind of silliness I like it that much more.

I posted about a thrift store that did it w/their signs. There's also a store called American Science and Surplus that has really funny captions at their shop and in their catalog, totally entertaining.

I would like to do a little more of that type of thing but need to find a way without seeming sarcastic or whatever.

Awesome find! Thanks :)

Compare that to the average daytime summer temperature in Dallas: 3,251° daytime and 3,250° at night. (Warning the Dallas temperature is an estimate only and in no way is sanctioned by the U.S. Weather Bureau.)
Hey.. What happened to my quote BOX?? oh well..

See you have been to Dallas?? - Try delivering hydrangea for a wedding in August! It's is so fun - with the ice chest..

:fdevil:It's not 3,251 - in August, more like 3,997...

Reactions: Carol Bice
I grew up mostly in New Mexico. Pretty much the whole state is that way, except maybe Taos and Santa Fe. A lot of silliness with touches of sarcasem....

If you like fun and casual writing styles, check out this website of a sheepskin slipper company from Vermont. There is a definite political twist, and it is a bit wordy... but there is some VERY fun writing in there too. (And they make amazing slippers!)

http://www.shepherdsflock.com/

Thanks Sarah! I cracked up at the pic of the baby at the bottom of the page.

I'm tellin ya, businesses that do this seem friendly, approachable and like someone I want to buy from. :)

Reactions: Sarah Botchick
I have always loved that kind of irreverent fun! I have also thought about doing some things like that in our advertising and signage. It seems to fit with flowers-they are so fun to begin with. However, I think your whole shop "personality" has to follow suit-especially employees-and I don't know if we could pull that off. I could see a customer coming in and making a quirky comment after seeing an ad like that and having an employee stare at them and say "huh?" Also, there is a very serious side to our biz-sympathy work-that may be hard to integrate with that "irreverence".

If anyone knows how to pull it off, I would love to hear how!

Status
Not open for further replies.