Your single largest Christmas arrangement??

Mikey the Flower Guy

It's a GREAT DAY to live, and love!
Nov 10, 2002
Dundas, Ontario, Canada
www.hamiltonflorists.com
State / Prov
Ontario
economies are troubled this year, averages, and perceived values are king this year, yet, some of our clients still have a yearning for what we do.
The single largest Christmas "arrangement" we've done so far this holiday season was for $400.00, and was a custom built 4 tier "Christmas tree" of flowers.
We can do this with, or without photos if you like.
I guess I'm asking this to see how many shops have a few well heeled customers, in this day and age!

My largest $$ single order is $160.00 (that's awesome for here)...

100_3300.JPG

economies are troubled this year, averages, and perceived values are king this year, yet, some of our clients still have a yearning for what we do.
The single largest Christmas "arrangement" we've done so far this holiday season was for $400.00, and was a custom built 4 tier "Christmas tree" of flowers.
We can do this with, or without photos if you like.
I guess I'm asking this to see how many shops have a few well heeled customers, in this day and age!

Do you have a photo of the "Christmas tree?" Would love to see it.

the highest single item I have sold is a $150.00 vase arrangement. Sorry don't have a pic.

I have had a few customers who have spent in the $300 range on multiple items at one time, but I don't know if that counts.

My largest sale going to one person/ home was $600. My biggest single arrangement is a ''compact'' deisgn I have to do tomorrow with red amaryllis, red roses, leucadandron, hypericum, burgundy cyms, etc. It's $190.

My Average has been about $80.

$200.00 for a 103 year old Lady from her Nephew. I think this will be the most he has paid for an arrangment. I have been filling his orders for the past 5 years for her birthday and holidays. I am looking forward to making something awsome today!

A couple in the $800 range, more than a handful in the $300-500 (centerpieces/buffet arrangements) range and many in the $200+ pricing tier.

The average sale does seem to have gone up this year - with more people entertaining at home and requesting unique and elegant designs. We used lots of cool ornaments tucked into the arrangements - and went through A LOT of premium stems like amaryllis, cymbidiums and hydrangeas.

Just so you don't think every shopper around here has big budgets, the vases below were dropped off today with a message that the customer would call us to discuss how she wanted them filled. (Coke can included for scale.)

Vases.jpg

About an hour later, the lady called to say she wanted them filled with red and white flowers and berries and to definitely NOT use carnations. She then went on to say her budget was $10 - $15 for the large vase and $5 each for the small vases. $25. Total.

There's nothing we could do in that price range except greens and a couple pine cones so she showed up this evening to cancel her order and take home her vases.

Really.... even the supermarkets don't have red & white bouquets in her price range. I hate when folks go home empty handed, but this firm budget was below anything reasonable. (I did try to get her to just do 1 vase but she wanted all 3 designed - or nothing.).

Largest single arrangement so far was around $300, but we'll see what tomorrow brings.

I think I have 2 more to make that may get to the $300 range

It's funny... the last few days of the Christmas holiday we see budgets diverge to the extreme. Customers either want blow-outs with impressive presentations (and are willing to spend serious $) or they want 'the cheapest thing possible'. Not much in the middle. This pattern has held for at least a couple decades here.

Cathy...I am seeing that too....I bought the regular cast of characters, stock, mini and reg carns, poms of all sorts, gerbs, cymbidiums, hydrangea, callas, roses and even exotics this year...

minis and poms are just about sold and pinecones and 25mm balls....and high end flowers almost sold out and high end ornaments...everything in the middle is still here, stock, alstro, spider and football mums, tulips....I sold either 35.00 arrangements or 100+ and the funeral pieces were even bigger...200+ this week...

It's funny... the last few days of the Christmas holiday we see budgets diverge to the extreme. Customers either want blow-outs with impressive presentations (and are willing to spend serious $) or they want 'the cheapest thing possible'. Not much in the middle. This pattern has held for at least a couple decades here.

Cathy, thank you so much for "catching on".....the reason for this thread!!
I wanted to know if shops STILL had "well heeled" customers around, as more and more are on very determined budgets, and we to have had some very unreasonable requests, as far as budgets and stubbornness.
We have been blessed with ability to "remember" some of these so called "cheap" customers, and few were like this before the recession. Many have lost jobs, been forced to give up their homes, and moved to apartments, or in with kids/family, and we've been bending over backwards to accommodate EVERYONE!
Had one lady in, she looked like she hadn't had a bath in a week, she wanted a centrepiece for her "friends" dinner table, and when we delved further, she was having her meal at a shelter, and wanted to spruce up the table!!
She had $6.25 total...she left with a centrepiece!!
Many people have been financially hurt, it's NOT always what it seems to be!!

My biggest was $85. My average was $40. I have never had customers who order monsters like the ones you guys are describing here, a big one for me is $100. I didn't have the people looking for $5 either, my average order really hasn't changed with the recession. I don't know what that means, I suspect the ones who still "can afford" are still buying from me and the others are doing without or going to the grocery store.

Average budget seemed to be about $50.00 this C'mas. But had mixed bag overall. I'll try to accomadate everyone. My biggest budget ( not just at C'mas ) is from a gentlemen who sent three $200.00 arr one week and then the week of C'mas sent an arr a day priced between
$200.00 - $400.00 and then on C'mas eve sent a $600 arrangement.So it's all over the board for us.

I'm very happy to have my clients and yes some of the clients I've had to cut back and I'm very happy to help as much as I can.

Not a lot of big spenders around here. This was my biggest one; made to match her burgundy and blue runner.
$75. Candles were hers...
View attachment 14038
Wow, That would be a lot more than $75 here. Mini callas retail at $7 each, hydrangea, $8 Gerbera $3.50. Thistle $6 Stalk $3
Saf. Sun. $3. etc.
Love the colors!