Status
Not open for further replies.

yourstruly

Jun 5, 2009
Tampa Bay
State / Prov
FL
* What is your website address?
I do not maintain a website. 100% of my clientele comes to me by referral and wedding coordinators
* How long have you been in business?
5 years
* Do you have any formal floral education?
I originally studied Ikebana. Over the last 10 years I have attended the classes and seminars of Emiko Nishiwaki through Western Carolina University and the Ichiyo School. I have also studied with my aunt who holds the third teaching diploma from the Sogetsu School of Ikebana.
* How were you referred to FlowerChat?
Via a social network
* What do you hope to gain from membership?
I hope to share new ideas, learn from others with different experiences and learn more about the financial aspects of the floral industry.
* What do you feel you can

Reactions: 5 people
Hi everyone,

I noticed that my introduction was cut off so here is the rest:

*What do you feel you can contribute to the community?
I have successfully created a niche for my business within the bridal industry. 99% of my business is devoted to weddings and I would be happy to share my marketing strategies as well as design ideas.
*Do you operate from a commercial building or your residence?
Both. I have an office were I meet with clients but my studio is at my residence. The type of work I do often requires long hours and pressing deadlines. I have three children so it is more practical to do the design work in my home studio.

Do you have all city and state business licenses? Is your home zoned commercial/residential to allow business in the residence?
Thanks for finishing answering the questions...

Of course, and as I'm sure you know each city and state has their own zoning regulations, with which I am in compliance. My I ask why you inquire?

Reactions: 1 person
we have had way too many "crafters trying to be florists" come here to be members. We are professional florists who try to make our living for ourselves and our families by servicing our customers. We are not playing with flowers and take this as a serious business, continuing our education and our networking with professional peers to stay as up to date as well as "picking the brain" of our colleagues and friends. Many of us aspire to attain the highest degree of design theorum that is available to us. This is a large intimate group and we wish to maintain the level of professionalism with such goals to service our customers to the best of our ability, continuing to learn and grow with each day.
I hope that helps you to understand my humble opinion of this forum.

There is nothing in my introduction that remotely indicates that I am one of the "crafters trying to be florists" and I bristle at the suggestion that I am merely "playing with flowers". I appreciate that you consider your forum intimate, however, you might also consider that your approach will discourage professional designers that have new ideas and insights to offer. Personally, I feel that listening to what others have to say, rather than shutting them down at the door is the the better to grow and learn each day. I was hoping to find professionals here that would challenge my knowledge, not my credentials. I found the voting concept intriguing, but now I get it.

Hi and thanks for taking the time to answer the questions. We really appreciate your being so forthcoming.

We have had experiences with people who don't know the floral basics and who don't pay their dues to their surrounding community. We are merely trying to avoid that situation. This is why we ask questions. Perhaps we need to add a few questions for the studio, home based business people... that may help clear up our intent.

Once you are a full member, you will enjoy all there is to offer in this international community. The knowledge is encyclopedic and of course there is fun and comraderie to be had as well.

Again, thank you for answering the questions.

Kind regards.

Victoria

After answering the questions......and reading the replies and responses. I will be casting my vote as a yes. There is enough information that intriques me......particularly about the building of referrals and getting started with that.....Since I am now freelance, I am wanting to build on my individual contacts and referrals and seems like this person has that figured out fairly well.

Welcome to FlowerChat. It's a wonderful place because it is a place for floral professionals, folks who pour their heart and soul into their business.

We've been burned a few times here by wannabees. I'm sure you understand how that instigates caution.

Many of us have found this site to be highly addictive!

Reactions: elmo and Victoria
Off topic: Rick, tried to send email. Hope you received. Running late here. In shop on Monday.

Just for the record, I believe I had already given a yes to your membership due to the intense studies you listed in your intro before the intro was finished. I applaud anyone who can intensely study Ikebana and the theorums of Eastern Design (mainly cause I can't LOL )

Reactions: Connie and Victoria
While I can understand 'bristling' I equally understand the procedure and why they are necessary. I think Yours Truly responded well and I would vote yes and hope I made the right decision.
Carrie

I almost dreaded looking at my thread this morning so I am very appreciative of all of your encouraging words and welcome. I'm at a point in my career that I have accumlated a lot of knowledge but still have so much to learn and it's difficult to find other professionals who you can consult with on a daily basis. I spent 15 years in non-profit marketing and development and it was scary to take the plunge and leave that world but flowers have always been my passion. My marketing background has been extremely helpful for the business side but I am constantly seeking to improve my skills which is why I would like to be a part of this community.

Then let me pass on something that you may find interesting.....There are several education events happening rather soon that you may find interesting. They are posted in the events thread. Two of them are AIFD events.

Ricky, I am still learning to navigate here and I cannot find the events thread--can you please direct me to it? Thanks.

You might be thinking of SAF ( Society of American Florists ). AIFD ( American Instituite of Designers ) will be holding it's 2012 symposium in Miami. This year, the AIFD National symposium is being held in Kansas City Missouri. In 2010 - symposium goes to Boston, 2011 - San Francisco, 2012 - Miami.

To find the events thread - When you are on the FlowerChat forums homepage - scroll down to the social section.....then scroll down till you see the thread titled 'events'

Pictures posted

Hi all,

I've posted pictures from my portfolio under my profile if you'd like to look. It feels like a 180 from my Ikebana days.

Status
Not open for further replies.