1800Flowers "Premier Florist"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I don't really consider myself on the fence on this one. After reading everything here, notably the empty promises, I'm leaning heavily against it. But, I am always willing to listen. If they meet all of my demands and then some, and there is little or no risk involved then I'm game.

Ahh, go for it. It's pretty clear that the allure of the $5 rebate has got you. You asked for feedback and there hasn't been one single positive comment. If that doesn't dissuade you from signing up you might as well save time and give it a try. If it's only 90 days, how much money can you lose?

As they say.....................................

When you have a Marine and a pro wrestler SHOUTING at you, you feel like you should do what they say :boggles:, yet I'm still going to listen. But your points are well taken.

You can bring a Horse to water, but you can't make him drink. (unless he's dying of thirst)

We never got involved with them and only because we had first hand knowledge of other florist friends who got burned.

Ron (NYC) allowed their orders to reach an 80%/20% ratio. 80% from them and 20% from his own customer base. Fact was that, Ron got so busy in filling their orders, he allowed his own customer base to walk away because he was always TOO BUSY FILLING THEIR ORDERS.

Then, and one day, and with no warning, Ron just stopped getting their orders and he was OUT OF BUSINESS within 3 months. We would always comment to Ron during the period which he was filling their orders, that he didn't look so good. He always looked tired and worried.

He would tell us that, YES he was FRIED and those SOBs were doo-ing it to him. Nice guy RON! They destroyed him.

Another was SUZIE. Now Suzie had been filling their orders TO THE TEE and for years. She even called her friend at HQ UNCLE JERRY.

Then, and after all of her years as a DEVOTED FILLER, they opened a store within a half mile of her shop and her orders STOPPED.

Suzie even called Uncle Jerry numerious times and left voice mail asking him, WHAT DID I DO WRONG and why did my orders stop?

Don't think Uncle Jerry ever gave her an answer though, but it probably would've been something like, THAT'S JUST THE WAY BUSINESS IS.

Just be aware that, they've left more shops in a state of flux and disrepair than they've put into a state of profitability.

One shop in Chicago even went ahead and got a mortgage to expand his shop's workspace and add additional delivery vehicles.

When his project was near completion, his orders JUST STOPPED and so did the needs of what he had just gone through, other than the BIG MORTGAGE PAYMENTS he was now left with. I'm not sure, but I think that finally did him in.

Another Gal in your state near Disneyworld added designers and trucks and then one day, her orders just stopped too. She was forced to downsize her entire operation in 48 hours by letting staff and drivers go and selling a few trucks.

In NJ, this florist had been their filler for years. Then, one day, his orders just STOPPED. When he called, all they told him was that, another florist in the next town over, agreed to give them a BIGGER DISCOUNT, and now their orders go to that other shop.

Just too many horror stories out there that I know of. Some FCers posted their own and I suspect, many others who have their own stories chose NOT to post theirs.

However, make NO MISTAKE that they will ever entertain any of your demands. They might YES YOU TO DEATH but the TRUTH is in the FINE PRINT should you decide to sign up with them.

Which is why I say, GO FOR IT! Nothing we can say will make a difference in your final decision 'cause THEY'RE THAT GOOD!
:poke:

Reactions: 1 person
You can bring a Horse to water, but you can't make him drink. (unless he's dying of thirst)

We never got involved with them and only because we had first hand knowledge of other florist friends who got burned.

Ron (NYC) allowed their orders to reach an 80%/20% ratio. 80% from them and 20% from his own customer base. Fact was that, Ron got so busy in filling their orders, he allowed his own customer base to walk away because he was always TOO BUSY FILLING THEIR ORDERS.

Then, and one day, and with no warning, Ron just stopped getting their orders and he was OUT OF BUSINESS within 3 months. We would always comment to Ron during the period which he was filling their orders, that he didn't look so good. He always looked tired and worried.

He would tell us that, YES he was FRIED and those SOBs were doo-ing it to him. Nice guy RON! They destroyed him.

Another was SUZIE. Now Suzie had been filling their orders TO THE TEE and for years. She even called her friend at HQ UNCLE JERRY.

Then, and after all of her years as a DEVOTED FILLER, they opened a store within a half mile of her shop and her orders STOPPED.

Suzie even called Uncle Jerry numerious times and left voice mail asking him, WHAT DID I DO WRONG and why did my orders stop?

Don't think Uncle Jerry ever gave her an answer though, but it probably would've been something like, THAT'S JUST THE WAY BUSINESS IS.

Just be aware that, they've left more shops in a state of flux and disrepair than they've put into a state of profitability.

One shop in Chicago even went ahead and got a mortgage to expand his shop's workspace and add additional delivery vehicles.

When his project was near completion, his orders JUST STOPPED and so did the needs of what he had just gone through, other than the BIG MORTGAGE PAYMENTS he was now left with. I'm not sure, but I think that finally did him in.

Another Gal in your state near Disneyworld added designers and trucks and then one day, her orders just stopped too. She was forced to downsize her entire operation in 48 hours by letting staff and drivers go and selling a few trucks.

In NJ, this florist had been their filler for years. Then, one day, his orders just STOPPED. When he called, all they told him was that, another florist in the next town over, agreed to give them a BIGGER DISCOUNT, and now their orders go to that other shop.

Just too many horror stories out there that I know of. Some FCers posted their own and I suspect, many others who have their own stories chose NOT to post theirs.

However, make NO MISTAKE that they will ever entertain any of your demands. They might YES YOU TO DEATH but the TRUTH is in the FINE PRINT should you decide to sign up with them.

Which is why I say, GO FOR IT! Nothing we can say will make a difference in your final decision 'cause THEY'RE THAT GOOD!
:poke:

Your examples are extreme cases. Again, I feel I have some room for incoming that won't increase my labor costs. This coupled with the sending rebate and the dropping of another wire service, I feel there's a possibility for some profitability. With that said, in no way does this mean I will go for it. Everyones advice is well taken and helpful. If anything the reason I am willing to listen to their spiel is out of curiosity more than anything else.

Good luck!

Just one question.... as a rule do you deliver a $30 arr (of which you only get a percentage) for you local purchasers and NOT collect a delivery charge from them? (Forget you're getting $5, but only if you get signed del confirmation and submit it by 7:00pm of del date) And don't forget the additional mega fee they want you to pay monthly to be a member of this select group.

All you have said is EXACTLY what my husband said right down to well I just want to hear what they have to offer.

I've been in your shoes and glad I'm back to flip flops.

All the best
Barb

Good luck!

Just one question.... as a rule do you deliver a $30 arr (of which you only get a percentage) for you local purchasers and NOT collect a delivery charge from them? (Forget you're getting $5, but only if you get signed del confirmation and submit it by 7:00pm of del date) And don't forget the additional mega fee they want you to pay monthly to be a member of this select group.

All you have said is EXACTLY what my husband said right down to well I just want to hear what they have to offer.

I've been in your shoes and glad I'm back to flip flops.

All the best
Barb

I don't mind filling a $30.00 order as long as it's in our zip code. He never mentioned anything about a "mega fee", he said all that is required of me is to purchase $600 in product initially. What is this "mega fee"?

I do wish I had my paperwork but it is no longer with us. True you do only have to initially buy a set value of product, but to be included as a premier florist there is an additional monthly fee you must pay, I really wish I could remember and don't want to mispeak by giving you the incorrect figure, but after that trial period it comes into effect.

Please don't get me wrong, it did increase our piece count and since the truck is going in that direction why not tag another one on. But after having to ask if we could sub flowers on almost every order for fear of having them charge us back for a subsitution it did get old.

We also have a vested interest in our community and didn't feel right filling a dozen roses with short stems when that is not one of our locally offered products.

Perhaps that was one of the major deciding factors, was our reputation. We produce a quality product and had a hard time coming to grips with how local customers may perceive the fact that our name was on product that didn't match our style and reputaion.

Reactions: 2 people
Perhaps that was one of the major deciding factors, was our reputation. We produce a quality product and had a hard time coming to grips with how local customers may perceive the fact that our name was on product that didn't match our style and reputaion.
Flower Lady, I nominate that for quote of the month. Thank you!

you guys are too much

Bottom line is, why be a member if you're just going to reject all the orders.

Also, I will tell you first hand. Reading all the posts on here makes me nuts. Other than a select few, most of you have no idea how much $$$$ it takes to generate those orders that 800 and other top senders, send. Most of you are takers, you give nothing. You expect the sky to open and get $100 avg orders or you're not doing them. Ya know what, dont do them. Drop all your wire services and just market yourself if you can.

I used to advertise all over and stopped. Most of the reason was the cost. it got out of hand. At one point i was spending $60,000 per yr to advertise in 10 markets........of course at that price, it didnt generate enough business to make it worth keeping and was lucky enough to cut some markets out. On top of losing money, i had to deal with all of you ungrateful shops. Ya know, the ones that have no clue what they are doing.... then lucky me gets to refund....stop being takers and develop a marketing strategy...we all need to market and take customers from pro flowers, ftd, tele, and 800 instead of sitting back and waiting for someone else to foot the bill. be pro active- and i dont mean the zit creme

Bottom line is, why be a member if you're just going to reject all the orders.
Bottom line is, can you say...REBATES? Bottom line is...tis better to send than receive...

Sad but true..

I do wish I had my paperwork but it is no longer with us. True you do only have to initially buy a set value of product, but to be included as a premier florist there is an additional monthly fee you must pay, I really wish I could remember and don't want to mispeak by giving you the incorrect figure, but after that trial period it comes into effect.

Please don't get me wrong, it did increase our piece count and since the truck is going in that direction why not tag another one on. But after having to ask if we could sub flowers on almost every order for fear of having them charge us back for a subsitution it did get old.

We also have a vested interest in our community and didn't feel right filling a dozen roses with short stems when that is not one of our locally offered products.

It does not make any sense for any kind of exclusively high end florist to be part of 800-flowers....It doesn't make any sense to sell to a ws what you won't do for your own customers...

It is a wonderful thing if you happen to have a high end base of customer or in a very exclusive part of town and can make the concession that you will only deliver 50.00 arrangements...

But if you are making and delivering anything from 25-70 dollar arrangements all day it is not going to hurt your reputation...

For the most part in my end of the world, I sell arrangements that average 40 and funeral work averages 75....I am well capable of doing the nicer high end work but the market for it is far and few between....so I fill the time in between with 800-flowers orders....

now that I am 2 1/2 years into my own business, my customer base is picking up and I will have to decide if I should hire on a partimer to still fill those orders or do I cut back and nurture my own base to full extent...

Point I am making is for some businesses it makes sense for some it doesn't, but it is better to know the reasons for someone else's not working out to make a smarter decision for your own...

Everyone makes some great and valid points, points that should all be read, absorbed and held onto for yearly reviews of WS and how well it is working for you....I know I evaluate several times a year as gas prices change and local business changes....evalute now and often, as soon as it isn't working make the decision that must be made...and do not feel bad doing it...

Defining ones strengths and weaknesses are an important part of operating a profitable business. I can put the ego aside and be honest enough with myself to know that my shop is not at the design level caliber of CHR's. We do not have the "Rulloda" talent and the brand name, so I don't blame CHR for her concern with reputation. What I can tell you is that we are a shop operating in the black that provides: good service, hard workers, experienced designers with fundamentally sound technique, and high quality flowers.

We know our niche.

But I am always looking for ways to supplement profitability and have found a way in so doing by manipulating the wire service system. I want to stress the word supplement, because in no way do I believe relying on wire services is a profitable business strategy. The only reason I would even consider this "Premier" level is because of the possibility of enhancing the supplement.

I started this thread because I have great respect for the FlowerChat community. I consider your feedback a valuable tool in the decision making process. Believe me, your collective words carry more weight with me than you may think.

We had basically the same offer & Yes we did sign a contract. Just remember it is your business, not theirs & your responsibility to ensure your success, not theirs. When you have to deal with them every day, you will see very quickly why it is not worth the hassle. Just for the record, I am excellent at managing resources & very frugal so when I say I almost lost my shirt. It was not a pretty sight. Everyone says if you manage it right you can make money on a wire in, sure you can if you cheat the recipients. Their recipes are very specific & cost $$$$ of which you have no control. If you don't make the recipies as directed then you are cheating the customer, not 1-800 flowers....

But I am always looking for ways to supplement profitability and have found a way in so doing by manipulating the wire service system. I want to stress the word supplement, because in no way do I believe relying on wire services is a profitable business strategy. The only reason I would even consider this "Premier" level is because of the possibility of enhancing the supplement.

Okay forget about the fact about making a "little bit more money"

Now I know if this shop over here didn't fill the order then this other shop over there will do it.

What if you where "maybe you are" the only florist filling the orders for them. You would be keeping them in business and letting them discount your work, your flowers and your delivery expense.

If they are looking for a prefered florist in your area maybe you are the only one listening. They need your "quality" your comment to providing "your best product" when in fact your delivering 1800flowers products and not La Jolla Village Florist products. You have the city name and will always come up as "a real florist" in the La Jolla area.

Siging with them or continuing to do business with them is keeping them in business in your area. For awhile there was no florist Filling for FTD in Tustin and for that time the REP at the time was calling me and asking are you sure you don't want to come back? I knew for that small little part of time FTD was not coming to Tustin and the only way they where was through other florist outside of the area. Eventually another florist signed up and to be honest I don't hear very good things about them today.

La Jolla to me is a very Affluent area and you don't need to introduce under priced products to be delivered in your area when in fact you are the prefered florist in the area on your own.

Sending is a service and for a while I thought no we don't need it but I was wrong. Choose the service that will take care of your customers needs and in my book I have less problems with Teleflora. Its the lesser of the evils but until my sending does not exist thats where I will stay.

Hey good luck with your decision and what ever it is I hope you continue to thrive..

Eric Shaw

I think it's a very appealing offer.

I'd go with Ted who said - call their bluff - it's only for 90 days. IF they don't deliver average $60 orders and volume they promise, you're not out that much (I've wasted $600 more times than I can count, and having the containers isn't a waste cuz you can still sell them with or without their program)

I've found their container selection very well researched and well wholesale priced, with shipping costs that make the other two look like the ripoffs they are ($5 PER CASE!). I've considered joining, not to send or receive, but just to have access to their containers.

I wonder if they'll make that same offer to me? I'd love to take some business away from the 2 members here in town if I can make a few bux at it. If I could get all the orders (with my minimums of course) it may be enough to drive one of them over the edge.

if I can make a few bux at it. If I could get all the orders (with my minimums of course) it may be enough to drive one of them over the edge.
Jon, remember *IF* is a BIG word....

And buddy, take it from me, they do NOT honor minimum codifications, they often attempt to send me orders $15.00 or more below mine...

One very successful florist both Boss and I know has told me, contrary to what is espoused several times in this thread, that even those cheap $19.99 orders - he wants his name on every flower sold in his city.

Excellent branding.

One very successful florist both Boss and I know has told me, contrary to what is espoused several times in this thread, that even those cheap $19.99 orders - he wants his name on every flower sold in his city.

Excellent branding.
Yup, and he is doing very well...

I think this leads to another point, that if your going to fill *some* of these orders, you might as well fill them all so that you get the most coverage (advertising) as possible...

Excellent branding.
I don't think there is any florist who can out-BRAND 800Flowers. They have Wall Street money and a huge marketing budget that no normal florist can match. Even putting his name on the product, may make him a hero in the eyes of the reciever, but it usually doesn't do much to make the sender switch from 800Flowers. Most senders view the filling florist as being under the thumb of such a huge corporation as 800Flowers and that the larger company is actually better choice becuase they have oversite of the filling florist.

the larger company is actually better choice becuase they have oversite of the filling florist.

Sorry sfox....but.........

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.