Not open for further replies.

marigold

Feb 23, 2008
Evergreen
www.stemsaflowershop.com
State / Prov
CO
So, on a week before May 16th, I called a florist in Coppell Texas and ordered
a hanging basket for outdoors, first choice a geranium.
The florist had two shops & thought he could get one by the end of the week
for delivery. My second choice was a suitable outdoor blooming hanging or
patio pot.
I called direct, and gave the florist $60.00 to include delivery and did not ask nor receive a discount.
Today I received a call from my client, who just returned from Texas and saw what was sent, and in her sweet Texas-nice, she let me know she wasn't too happy about spending $60.00 for a :
6 inch pothos in a plain, greenhouse plastic. She said it looked like something
she could buy at Safeway for $10.95. She was mortified.
Seriously. Is this something you would substitute and
value at $50.00 ?
(10.00 was the delivery charge>)

first of all - a potted spath is not a suitable substitution for a hanging basket or a blooming patio plant.

secondly - Even if the spath was an acceptable choice - I can't see 40 or 50.00 unless the plant is particularly full and lush as well as planted in a nice ceramic/stoneware/crockery type decorative pot or other quality container.

Did the shop explain why the substitution and the choice of the spath over the hanging basket or blooming patio plant ( to me, that would have meant something like an azalea, geranium, cyclamen, coleus, or other type plant )

I think you need to give the florist a call back. You can be all florist nice and find out what they will do to make you happy. Worth a try..... if your not happy, just go Postal... All kidding aside, think out what you have to say about the service, if they are worth a grain of salt, then good, if not .... go Postal!

But remember safeway dosen't deliver.

Normally calling a week in advance should of giving them plenty of time to get what you requested but you have to consider that after after Mothers Day it seemed to me that it was slim pickens on any nice blooming plants. The florist should of at least called you to say that there wasn't anything nice available.

Just take it up with the florist and see what happened first.

In a word, no!

I wonder if there was some mistake, maybe they filled the wrong order?
I'd certainly talk to them.

I would call them...like Patty said it could have been a mistake....but substitute a 6" pothos for a $50.00 plant NEVER
Becky

first of all - a potted spath is not a suitable substitution for a hanging basket or a blooming patio plant.

secondly - Even if the spath was an acceptable choice - I can't see 40 or 50.00 unless the plant is particularly full and lush as well as planted in a nice ceramic/stoneware/crockery type decorative pot or other quality container.

Did the shop explain why the substitution and the choice of the spath over the hanging basket or blooming patio plant ( to me, that would have meant something like an azalea, geranium, cyclamen, coleus, or other type plant )
I didn't say it was a potted spath, I said it was a potted hanging POTHOS.

Reactions: Connie
that's funny, I read spath too :) more coffee ...

No, that is not an acceptable sub & the choice is bizarre - I would be phoning them immediately for more info, hopefully it was an error & they'll make good on it with your client.

If not, please post the shop name, so we can all take notice.

I think you need to give the florist a call back. You can be all florist nice and find out what they will do to make you happy. Worth a try..... if your not happy, just go Postal... All kidding aside, think out what you have to say about the service, if they are worth a grain of salt, then good, if not .... go Postal!
Of course I called the florist back!
Spoke to the gentleman who I placed the order with .
He said he thought that was a perfect substitution and that is how much a 6 inch
hanging plant cost in his shop.
He did not have an answer on why I was not called to say he could not
get a geranium or other suitable patio pot.
He did not offer to do anything to make good, so I told him what I would like done.
Which was to have the receipient return the plant and pick out something else.
He agreed.
Yes, Safeway doesn't deliver, which is why I called a real florist, expecting
something much more that a Safeway product.

A 6" pothos cost us $5.50. Prices do vary from state to state. That's a tub (regular pot), not a hanging basket. You handled it very well.

Reactions: marigold
A pothos still was not what I would consider an acceptable substitution.

As bad as it sounds - Perhaps in addition to our order gatherer registry, we should make an FC list of preferred and not preferred shops and if the go in the not preferred, we list why.

I don't think I've even seen a 6"hanging basket .... even at Home Depot they're 8 " ...
wow.

Reactions: shannonlovesflowers
So, on a week before May 16th, I called a florist in Coppell Texas and ordered a hanging basket for outdoors, first choice a geranium. The florist had two shops & thought he could get one by the end of the week for delivery. My second choice was a suitable outdoor blooming hanging or
patio pot. I called direct, and gave the florist $60.00 to include delivery and did not ask nor receive a discount.
Today I received a call from my client, who just returned from Texas and saw what was sent, and in her sweet Texas-nice, she let me know she wasn't too happy about spending $60.00 for a 6 inch pothos in a plain, greenhouse plastic. She said it looked like something she could buy at Safeway for $10.95. She was mortified.
value at $50.00 ? (10.00 was the delivery charge>)

This situation happens more often than I'd like to say. It seems so many shops forget that they are placing their own reputation on the line when they accept a wire or florist direct incoming order. Senders expect and receive a photo of what is delivered now and will let the receiver (potential local customer) know if its not as it should be.

Shops should not accept orders they can't fill as requested. I'm sure your sender would have preferred if you called her to say you couldn't find anyone in TX to fill her request over the disappointment/disception she felt after the overpriced pothos was delivered.

Glad you were able to negotiate an acceptable fix for your customer. I'm sure she appreciates your efforts to rectify the problem.

Where in the world do florists get off charging that much for an item of that caliber....at least it should have been put into a decorative hanger and fancied up a bit for that price....

And we wonder why people shop with the OGs at least their prices sound better...

So, on a week before May 16th, I called a florist in Coppell Texas and ordered
a hanging basket for outdoors, first choice a geranium.
The florist had two shops & thought he could get one by the end of the week
for delivery. My second choice was a suitable outdoor blooming hanging or
patio pot.
I called direct, and gave the florist $60.00 to include delivery and did not ask nor receive a discount.
Today I received a call from my client, who just returned from Texas and saw what was sent, and in her sweet Texas-nice, she let me know she wasn't too happy about spending $60.00 for a :
6 inch pothos in a plain, greenhouse plastic. She said it looked like something
she could buy at Safeway for $10.95. She was mortified.
value at $50.00 ?
(10.00 was the delivery charge>)

We are not too far from Coppell - This is crazy - who did you use??? In this area I would have called McShan in Dallas - They could have easliy gone to a Calloways nursery or something and picked up what you requested... Next time you have something in the DFW area... let me or Carol know we can point you in the right direction. - I also think that someone from Carrollton is also on here..which is also the DFW area..

I see you now Nicole... Blooms on the Square! Call Nicole!!!!

Technology will be the death of some of these flower shops. As we get more tech savy (as well as our customers), there will be a day when not only will we delivery confirm these orders, we will also upload a photo.

Great way to get rid of businesses like that. They are the scourge of our industry.

Hello All...
I haven't been online in a looooong time, but just had to reply to this one.
So sorry that you ran into a not so concerned shop. We are not all like that here in Texas.

Had you called us asking for an outdoor plant, the first thing we would have done is cautioned your sender about the oppressive heat in Texas for outdoor plants.

We often get folks wanting tender tropicals such as the Spath's for outdoors here even on a patio. Also, get request for Azalea in the middle of 109 degree in the shade Texas summer. Heat index was 109% last weekend.

However, a simple Geranium hanging basket would have been no problem to get, lush, fully in bloom dressed up beautifully with bow and butterfly. The shop should have taken the steps to seek out the requested item at retail (Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, local garden center) or by going to Volkmans in Dallas. Yes it is a long trip and they sometimes have immature specimens for the outrageous wholesale price.

To have sent a 6" pothos and called it $50.00 is embarrassing.

Hope everyone has been doing well over the last few months, and that we haven't lost anymore shops. Best to all!!

Carolyn,
Royse City Florist and Gifts

PS: Hello and welcome to all the new faces and names! Especially those of you in Texas.

Reactions: 1 person
I have a request to all who posted here.

on this web site under special features is: FlowerChat Florist Directory

please add your information and include all the cities (with zip codes) that you service.
This is the first place I go to look for a good florist and so many times I come away empty handed and I would prefer to use good people from HERE> but so many aren't listed.

THANKS!!!!

I wish I could, but since I am a freelance designer and not technically a shop, I can't list myself.....unless they put in a separate listing for freelancer and other floral professionals who are not involved with a set business.

Status
Not open for further replies.