A sign of the times?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Sign of The Times? NAW! The sign of an IDIOT!

NAW! It's a sign of the DISGRUNTLED IDIOTS at that funeral home who took exception to the fact that, the family bought the casket from someone else.

In our area, the costs of burying a loved one is atrocious and averages $10,000.00 just for the Funeral Service.

Add to that, the costs of a plot and a headstone or a crypt, and ya better have a Life insurance policy of at least $25K.

Even if you already own a plot, the cemetery charges you $400 just to open it, or $600 on a Saturday or a Holiday. (Even the Grave Diggers have a Union, unlike WEE FLORISTS, ey?)

Facts are that, if the funeral homes didn't insist on marking up their caskets at cost X 4, Costco wouldn't have a market.

At the funeral home, a metal Casket costs around $3995.00.

A similar casket at Costco costs $924.99 with shipping included.

COSTCO 18 GAUGE STEEL CASKET

Given those facts, especially when the deceased may not have had any Life Insurance and the family has no money, Costco works for them.

However, make no mistake that, the Funeral Home is still making their money for $ERVICING the SERVICE.

Their attempt to embarrass the family with that type of performance under those circumstances is totally unprofessional, unfeeling, and down right disgusting.

They are a DISGRACE to their profession and should be shunned by everyone for their deplorable actions.

Wasn't too long ago when I had a delivery of flowers to a funeral home and a brief discussion with that funeral director over the reality of our industry's changing times.

He was complaining about the same situation. He told me he had recently told a family that, if they wanted to arrange for a casket from another source, then one of their family members would have to be at the funeral home to accept the delivery when it arrived.

I kept my mouth shut, but my brain went nuts. I really wanted to ask him: Then, what in the heck are these people paying you to do for them anyway?

OH, I remember now. You get to direct the motorcade on the day of the funeral and perhaps even hold an umbrella over the spouse's head, should it rain on that day. At all other times, you hire a baby-sitter at $10 an hour for the 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 viewing hours, RIGHT?

They (some funeral directors) have built themselves a huge ego while projecting their professional persona to a level close to a physician, in their minds.

HEY! Here's the wake up! These are DEAD PEOPLE and you can't bring em back. Sure, you make them look good and set the stage for a PRODUCTION, but that's all you do.

Even embalming IS NOT A REQUIREMENT under the Federal or State's Health codes, but YOU SELL IT ANYWAY!

Wasn't more than 60 years ago that, most people shunned you folks because YOU DEALT WITH THE DEAD.

And, had you not gotten SO GREEDY with your QUADRUPLE KEYSTONE MARKUP and kept it at KEYSTONE (50% cost plus 50% profit = 100% of selling price) for an item which HAS NO LABOR, you wouldn't force folks to run to Costco for their Father's casket.

And, please don't try to equate that scenario with a customer wanting a florist to arrange flowers, they purchased somewhere else.

Personally, we don't do that, nor will be blow up some else's balloons.

Those are CHUMP CHANGE SITUATIONS for folks trying to save CHUMP CHANGE and not a Funeral Home already charging that family THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS for a FUNERAL SERVICE.

Here's my choice when my time comes:

TOTO'S CASKET

Something tells me that, my funeral director will not be as sloppy as theirs was, especially with 6 other Marines at my side.

Reactions: 1 person

Facts are that, if the funeral homes didn't insist on marking up their caskets at Their attempt to embarrass the family with that type of performance under those circumstances is totally unprofessional, unfeeling, deplorable, and down right disgusting.

At face value it sure looks like that.

What's the difference between the Funeral Director not being responsible for putting the remains in the box and the florist not being responsible for building the casket spray that comes in the box?

I don't blame the funeral director really.

People must understand somewhere along the line they get the service they pay for.

It is somewhat of a catch 22 here for the director. Does he or she bite the bullet and provide a kindness of sorts or do they stick to their contractural guns (I'm sure there was a contract signed)?

V

Aileen, you are assuming they were pd to do all this. My guess is they were not. And regardless of emotion, business is business.

Aileen, you're right, the deceased should be shown the respect he or she deserves. However, the family entered into the deal with full knowledge (of this I'm sure), so perhaps the respect needed to start there... with the family. I'm pretty sure they didn't save all the much in the long run buying the casket for their "loved one" at Costco. Every funeral home has an inexpensive casket line to show.

I'm certain they didn't arrive at the site without the information that they would be responsible for placing the remains in the box. I'm sure as well they chose the location for the transfer. It's all about choice and they made theirs.

V

What's the difference between the Funeral Director not being responsible for putting the remains in the box and the florist not being responsible for building the casket spray that comes in the box?

I don't blame the funeral director really.

People must understand somewhere along the line they get the service they pay for.

It is somewhat of a catch 22 here for the director. Does he or she bite the bullet and provide a kindness of sorts or do they stick to their contractural guns (I'm sure there was a contract signed)?

V
There is a big difference. There is no law that says people have to buy flowers for a funeral. Putting flowers in at a funeral home is a personal choice. Going to a funeral director is not. Most states have laws mandating use of a funeral director.

That's true Fox... however, here is a scenario for you and it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

Mr. and Mrs. Whosit have to bury their grandmother. They make the necessary arrangements as mandated by law with their local funeral home. They however insist on buying the casket at Costco. The funeral director's service contract will list the services paid for by the family... it will not include the casket or the placing of the body or set up at the hall (family choice).

He or she agrees to lay the remains in the box as a courtesy at the specified location. The unthinkable happens, the bottom or the side of the casket breaks and out falls grandma. Who is responsible? Who will the family sue? Because you can be certain they will sue someone. The first person they will come after will be the funeral director because he or she must have done something to the casket... or they didn't use enough care in placing grandma. Never mind that the casket was possibly made in outer Slobovia and was put together with spit and chewing gum. Now the suit against the funeral home may not go far, but the damage is done. It will be a public relations nightmare.

We carried insurance in the event a casket was faulty. However, the insurance wouldn't cover a casket not bought by us initially.
We covered a funeral of a gentleman whose sons were really talented carpenters. They talked to my husband about building the casket for their Dad... it was their last gift to the man they loved. My husband agreed (small town Ontario can do these things far easier I think) and all went well. We knew the workmanship would be fabulous and there was no cause for worry.

Funeral service is just that, a necessary service. And believe it or not they too are having their "turf" infringed upon, much like the florist. So while the whole scene desribed at the beginning of the thread is unnerving, so is being sued for things that are in no way your fault... with the possibility of losing your means to make a living.

V

I would imagine that the Funeral homes must have each of their "centers" be a "profit" center just like we do...we revaluate each center and if it does not make a profit then something changes...from delivery to the merchandising area. Funeral homes are similiar in that respect...each part of their business must be profitable. The problem lies in other industrys such as Costco getting into business that only supply the supply not the services that we are use to having...As much as this was distasteful, I am sure that the family was offered different packages because the FH would want to make a "profit" and probably the family only chose this one....yes it is an eyebrow raiser...but if it was what they paid for then that is what they got. If we sell flowers for a wedding, we offer our on-site services including delivery...usually this runs between 350 to 700 and sometimes they chose to pick it up and do their thing...that is their choice. If it does not make a "profit" for my setup/delivery" center then I feel no obligation to "do it" for them regardless of who they are. JMHO
Sher

That's true Fox... however, here is a scenario for you and it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

Mr. and Mrs. Whosit have to bury their grandmother. They make the necessary arrangements as mandated by law with their local funeral home. They however insist on buying the casket at Costco. The funeral director's service contract will list the services paid for by the family... it will not include the casket or the placing of the body or set up at the hall (family choice).

He or she agrees to lay the remains in the box as a courtesy at the specified location. The unthinkable happens, the bottom or the side of the casket breaks and out falls grandma. Who is responsible? Who will the family sue? Because you can be certain they will sue someone. The first person they will come after will be the funeral director because he or she must have done something to the casket... or they didn't use enough care in placing grandma. Never mind that the casket was possibly made in outer Slobovia and was put together with spit and chewing gum. Now the suit against the funeral home may not go far, but the damage is done. It will be a public relations nightmare.

We carried insurance in the event a casket was faulty. However, the insurance wouldn't cover a casket not bought by us initially.
We covered a funeral of a gentleman whose sons were really talented carpenters. They talked to my husband about building the casket for their Dad... it was their last gift to the man they loved. My husband agreed (small town Ontario can do these things far easier I think) and all went well. We knew the workmanship would be fabulous and there was no cause for worry.

Funeral service is just that, a necessary service. And believe it or not they too are having their "turf" infringed upon, much like the florist. So while the whole scene desribed at the beginning of the thread is unnerving, so is being sued for things that are in no way your fault... with the possibility of losing your means to make a living.

V

no one is "arguing" your point V....all that's being said is that the family "probably" decided that they wanted as little "service" from the FD's as is possible, and I'm surprised the FD's "agreed".
I'd say this backfired on either a "greedy" family, or a family that "thought they could" DOO the work!!( or a family that was just plum poor and couldn't admit it)...anything is possible.
IF the casket was bought at Costco, and fell apart, NO judge would even entertain a lawsuit against the FD's, and ANY media coverage to the detriment of the FH would find themselves in very deep doodoo

Mike, remember the hot coffee between the legs of a woman in a moving vehicle. The justice system did entertain that stupid suit. Remember the case of the lost pants... the courts let that one go too. They would most certainly entertain a suit against the funeral home... in spades. One of the most vilified professions often is the funeral profession.

And folks, it is a profession that requires lots of money for education, rewriting exams for your license every five years, having the proper licenses for chemicals on site, and proper disposal for fluids etc. There has to be specific things in place for people who have died from highly communicable diseases and AIDS. Being a Funeral Director isn't a walk in the park to the pot of gold. They are on call 24/7. They are called to do removals most foul and sad. They are the first line of defence in a warring family (pathetic behaviour) by doing the best for the deceased (according to the written wishes in prearrangements). They are the ones whose hearts break at the youth laying infront of them. They are the ones who get called to pick up their friends who have died tragically under the wheels of a tractor. They are the ones who try to provide comfort and resources to the family of a suicide victim or a family who has lost a child. The funeral director sees the worst of humanity... and that's a fact.

V

Reactions: 2 people
Here in the South were it is all about respect, not that it is not in other places. Our Funeral Homes have indigent services. They offer a cheap casket, inbalming and a graveside service at little or no cost to families who are in true need. I have over the years donated casket sprays( always flowers of our choice) for such services. Florist in our area take turns doing this.

All that being said with us donating free flowers the funeral home donating free service some of the families startin with the We want, we want, we want, instead of thank you I appreciate what you are doing. I am sure that they want the best for their loved one but the truth is there is only so much free we can give and still eat reglarly. So I can understand how that funeral home may have felt.

Wow. My initial reaction was one of complete and total disbelief. I continued to read the thread and began to see the other side. My Mom passed away almost 7 years ago - the least expensive casket we were shown was over $2,000.00. It was simple and quietly beautiful. My Dad chose a different model - most costly, but for personal reasons, better because he was buying for his wife of 53 years. Emotions run strong and high during time of great sorrow. And I believe there are unscruplious people who take advantage of that fact. Then there is the cost of the crypt. The cost of calling hours. The cost of hearse, the cost of car transporting the flowers, the cost of . ., the cost of . .. I am not begrunging the profit the funeral home must make in order to pay their bills, employees and such. However, I agree with Aileen. Their behavior appears, to me, to be disrespectful.

Maybe my area is different - the majority of our funeral homes are owned by a huge conglomorate and they sell their own flower package. You want to use the florist you already have a relationship with - no problem! They still charge you $600.00 for 3 pieces. (But that is another thread!)

There is good business practices and unreasonable, rigid, "We'll show you" business practices. Their behavior falls into the last catagory. JMO.

Leah

Leah, there are bad business people everywhere. There are also really terrific business people out there and I do believe they out number the bad ones. Unfortunately the bad ones get the press for both.

I don't believe the funeral home was eschewing a "we'll show you" attitude based on what I've said above.

By law here the funeral home must have a fair representation of all price points on the floor... from the lowest price available to the sky is the limit. We never accompanied the family into that room. We never directed them to buy anything beyond their budget... there are really no percentages in that. When they had made their choice they came to get us and the rest of the details were taken care of... most funeral directors I know are like that.

We preferred to promote prearrangements. That way the client made the decisions about their own funeral without emotions kicking in.

I feel badly for the family in this incident, but honestly, they made their choice and like all of us, must live with that.

V

The thing that bothered me the most about this thread was the "scene out of a black comedy" remark. That seemed a bit disrespectful if you ask me.

I meant to disrespect at all, just saying that to me, it didn't seem like it actually happened and he was just messing with me. I couldn't wrap my head around picturing a family standing there watching other family members move their loved one into a casket, that it would be something that you would see in a movie, a black comedy being a movie that is supposed to be funny, but with dark humor.

I completely agree with TOTO he took the words right out fo my mouth. I still stand behind the point of no matter where your casket is purchased your body in its' final rest deserves respect to the highest degree....there simply is NO comparison to the whole "purchasing of flowers elsewhwere". They will never be the same in my eyes...I have and will never lose sight of the human factor and adopt a "business is business" attitude that will make me apathetic to others. Could it be my downfall one day,businesswise? Maybe but I will be able to look myself in the mirror and live with it.

btw, TOTO...THANK YOU for that casket... I will now start to save for that for my husband's final rest.

I agree, that is horrible. If the family couldn't afford the FH casket & many have become too outrageous, the FH should have at least let them put the body in the casket at the FH & then bring it to the VFW. If the man was a veteran, the military only pays so much for the burial of a servicemember & it is not much. I am a veteran & have told my family, ship me to Arlington, VA to the National Cemetary, the government will pay for that. One other Peeve, here in Atlanta some FH won't recommend a flower shop without getting a 30% commission. I refuse to pay them so I don't get their business. I do get to do funeral work strictly from my customers. What is even more appalling is the shops that get their business from the FH charges that 30% fee to the customers because their prices are significantly higher than market rate. If only the people really new what was going on in this business. They probably got there flowers from COSTCO too, they are offering that now in our area. WE still need to handle this time with respect & dignity, my God he served his country for how many years???? Even worse, Was he a war vet??? I don't think I would recommend that FH to my customers or at least spread the word about how that was handled, totally inappropriately!!!

I find this thread fascinating, not by the story itself but the responses.

First, I want to say I’m in agreement with Victoria.

It amazes me how we as florists can clearly see the plight we are facing from outside forces nipping away at our businesses, taking the cream off the top and leaving us with the difficult less profitable aspects of the business to perform. Wire services and order gatherers try to get between us and our customers, grocery stores sell our bread and butter items at low prices in more convenient locations, charities sell flowers at holidays, and warehouse clubs sell flowers to the public at below wholesale prices.

We see our own plight first hand in the course of every business day and expect our customers to understand and sympathize with us, yet we fail to see a sister industry’s similar plight. Just as the flower industry has rapidly changed in recent years so has the funeral business. It is a tough business and getting tougher with each passing year. Discount chains are driving prices down, less profitable cremations are an increasing trend and warehouse clubs are selling caskets to the public at below wholesale prices.

Nothing in life is free. We don’t want to be forced to give our services away for free as florists, and I expect funeral directors don’t either. Most assuredly on tantalizingbloom's post we don’t have the full story, and it seems unfair to jump to conclusions just as we wouldn’t want a bystander to jump to conclusions about us when a highly skimmed wire order comes our way and gets fouled up or a wedding order where half the flowers were being done by a friend goes awry.

RC

Status
Not open for further replies.