BBB reports 47% Increase in Complaints about Florists

Just a quick update on the BBB:

1) Perhaps inspired by the Chicago BBB article about a jump in florist complaints, the MA/VT/ME/RI BBB sent out a press release that included a line about florist complaints increasing 67% last year. I emailed that BBB staffer requesting the raw numbers of complaints in 2010 & 2011 and surmised that an online-only florist (Flowers, LLC in Cambridge MA)or two were likely the cause of the spike.

The writer replied, but did not give me the raw numbers (even after I re-sent a request for them), so my belief now is that BBBs are looking for 'stats' just to create interest/drama for V Day. She did say she believed online-only 'florists' should be tracked in a separate category from local shops and would pass that suggestion on the BBB HQs in Washington.

2) I called Jennifer Sparks at SAF this morning with concerns that more BBBs would be sending out alarming (and less-than-truthful) press releases about florist complaints. She said she would contact the BBB headquarters in Washington to see if there was a national push to report on florists for V Day - and would encourage them to refrain from negative and unsupported numbers.

Let's hope this kind of BBB 'news' is done for the holiday. I truly hope other media folks just don't snag the negative headlines and repeat them.

Boy this makes me mad! I have commented on the blog as well as the BBB Chicago FB page. here's what I wrote on the FB page:
"Shame on you BBB for not fact checking this article! You should have advised to use a local florist, not online order gathers who just take a 27% cut and send the order to someone else to fill. Shop local!"

Reactions: Flowerchatter03
Really? You don't think businesses (florists) keep WSs in business? Without filling shops and income from florists services (commissions, fees, technology, web hosting, cc clearings, ads, product purchases, dues) how profitable would FTD, 1-800 or TF be?

So should I assume that florists print the money themselves that they use to pay for these services? Or is there a chance that the money actually originates with the consumer? My guess is the latter.

I would not deny by any stretch of the imagination that at one time the florist was THE conduit that drove the consumers money to the WS's. However that is not the case so much anymore as more and more of the WS's business is direct from the consumer. The time will come I suspect in the future when everyone's roles will have changed considerably, everyone except the consumer who will ultimately hold the money as he always has.

Don't you mean the Connedsumer? Because if the consumer knew what was being done to them they would not use them. If the BBB, the national news and the legal system did what they are supposed to do which is protect and inform the consumer and punish those that break the law or are deceptive, the consumer would be able to make an informed choice. Until then the playing field is not even and the market can not function as intended.

I alway have to laugh (or cry) at your defense of these predators...you know the old saying "Go to bed with DOG'S you wake up with fleas...

First of all I am not defending anyone, I am simply a realist pointing out facts. Facts don't have an agenda, they are simply the truth. As for what the BBB, the media, or the legal system should be doing in your opinion, again what does that matter? What matters is the world we live in and how we deal with it. All of your whining about it will not change anything, however the sooner you take a good hard look at reality and adjust your outlook to deal with it, you have a chance of making the best of it.

FFC or this board are not in the foreseeable future going to find a way to change the flower industry into something that pleases you and brings a smile to your face. In the meantime bills still have to be paid every month, so all flower retailers have a choice, sit back and cry over what should be, or change their thought processes to "reflect" today's reality. I have intentionally used the word "reflect" rather than "accept" as I am not suggesting that anyone willingly admit defeat, but rather change the battle plan to take into account the new terrain we face.

Last but not least, if you wait for the "playing field to be even" you might not be here if and when that ever occurs.

The time will come I suspect in the future when everyone's roles will have changed considerably, everyone except the consumer who will ultimately hold the money as he always has.
What are you thinking our roll will be? I'm in a small town with 3 other florists. I think we are all just getting by - it's a matter of who runs out of money or credit first now imho.

Just a quick update on the BBB:

1) Perhaps inspired by the Chicago BBB article about a jump in florist complaints, the MA/VT/ME/RI BBB sent out a press release that included a line about florist complaints increasing 67% last year. I emailed that BBB staffer requesting the raw numbers of complaints in 2010 & 2011 and surmised that an online-only florist (Flowers, LLC in Cambridge MA)or two were likely the cause of the spike.

The writer replied, but did not give me the raw numbers (even after I re-sent a request for them), so my belief now is that BBBs are looking for 'stats' just to create interest/drama for V Day. She did say she believed online-only 'florists' should be tracked in a separate category from local shops and would pass that suggestion on the BBB HQs in Washington.

2) I called Jennifer Sparks at SAF this morning with concerns that more BBBs would be sending out alarming (and less-than-truthful) press releases about florist complaints. She said she would contact the BBB headquarters in Washington to see if there was a national push to report on florists for V Day - and would encourage them to refrain from negative and unsupported numbers.

Let's hope this kind of BBB 'news' is done for the holiday. I truly hope other media folks just don't snag the negative headlines and repeat them.

Cathy, do you have a link to that New England BBB release, I believe that MFA may want to respond to the Maine part.

What are you thinking our roll will be? I'm in a small town with 3 other florists. I think we are all just getting by - it's a matter of who runs out of money or credit first now imho.

jenifer,
Frankly I think that you have hit the nail on the head and have probably sized up your situation correctly. As you have said, you are in a small town with three flower shops. The reality as unpleasant as it may be it that your town is more than likely over-serviced when it comes to flowers. The bottom line is that 3 can starve, maybe 2 could get by, or 1 could make a reasonable living, after all the pie is only so big. At the end of the day "your" role is to be that one.

One of the things that we strive to instill in our own stores is that you need to be your community flower expert, the go to place for all things about flowers. Does it work, sometimes it does very well, others times it takes more.

Boston/VT/RI/ME BBB: http://boston.bbb.org/article/BBB-O...-and-Successful-Valentines-Day-Shopping-32342 (says 67% increase in florist complaints)

And now Both Wisconsin and Southeast TX have also chimed in:

Wisconsin (claims 38% increase in florist complaints): http://wisconsin.bbb.org/article/BB...-and-Successful-Valentines-Day-Shopping-32347

Southeast TX (claims 67% increase in florist complaints): Facebook post: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Better-Business-Bureau-in-Southeast-Texas/30670389968

If you are in these areas, ask them for raw numbers. 3 complaint jumping to 5 is a 67% increase. None of these groups has posted raw numbers (except Chicago), which tells me the actual amounts of complaints is likely very low. It's really looking like discussing florist complaints is the BBB's chief marketing/PR point this year for V Day.

I will on Monday Cathy, I'm 2 hours from Fort Wayne but am "covered" in their territory. It's funny they don't have e-mail just phone#

Reactions: CHR
when you read all these BBB reports, they all read the SAME (especially the weird e card thing). Are they using the same numbers from the Chicago (initial) PR article or are they garnering their own numbers.

I couldn't find a facebook page for Boston BBB or Dallas BBB or if they did they had no "friends"

I would suggest everyone check their BBB for signs of similar content. I can't believe they would all have similar numbers unless the info originated in the same place.

Hopefully someone will find a listening ear, and changes will be made to separate B&M from national IG wire services.

Of course this would happen during one of the busiest times when we all need to concentrate on the upcoming holiday rather than this BS. I think that we all need to write letters to the Council of the BBB asking they (at the very least) separate the catagory of "florist" with the Order Gatherers. They can call them flower brokers or whatever floats their boat as long as they are not giving the name "florist". If each of us does this along with copies of fradulent ads from on-line sources as well as your local phone book, maybe something will be done. I don't think it is to much to expect that the order gatherers be removed from "florist". They are not florists. They only move money and information from one place to another. Maybe some of you might know your local representatives that may lend a hand....there is an election!

Am working on a way to address these thoughtless BBB press releases.... but in the mean time, 2 BBBs have put out some EXCELLENT info for consumers about shopping for Valentine's Day flowers.

BBB of Central California: Make sure sending online flowers is a sweet experience
A brief quote:
One big advantage of using local florists is that you have someone to talk to if there is a problem with your orders. When you order online, you can speak with customer service but it is not the same as talking with someone who actually owns the business.

Many online ordering sites are merely call centers, not actual florists. This means they charge either a flat fee or a percentage of your order amount to handle the transaction, which means less money actually goes for your special gifts. This also means they don't have the vested interest in your special delivery that a local business would have.

BBB of Kansas: Valentine’s scams take aim at your wallet
A brief quote:
"The best way to assure that flowers reach your beloved just as you ordered them is to rely on a local florist. A website devoted to uncovering florist scammers can be found at floristdetective.com"
:)

Follow the links and read both articles. Great stuff. And please share via Social Media. Maybe there's hope for at least some of the BBB this holiday.

The Bakersfield.com article was really impressing me until the very last paragraph.

If you decide to order online, be sure to use a national floral group and, regardless of the location of the florist, be sure to check their reliability before committing to a purchase.

They still don't seem to quite "get it". Nevertheless, both stories were done with due diligence and that rates highly with me.

I was surprised and delighted to see a Floristdetective.com link!

Reactions: CHR and sandytf
That's a crock... Obviously either they don't get it, OR their most concerned with big money over consumer protection/information.

Reactions: 1 person
Jenifer - Your contact with the Northern Indiana BBB made a difference. They have removed the Press Release from their site!

In my heart, I know they cannot truthfully defend those numbers.... and my belief is that the Boston BBB is the source of all the '67% spike' articles.

I did some digging through the Boston 'florist' listings and 2 companies stand out - Kabloom's Headquarters (not a shop, it's a drop ship operation) with an F rating and 6 complaints last year and Flowers, LLC (OG in Cambridge) with a B+ rating and 23 complaints closed in the last year. (Flowers, LLC has 2 positive reviews which likely helps it's grade.) They have 33 complaints in the last 3 years, 23 of which were made in the last year. That alone is at least a 130% 'spike' but it's likely a higher percentage. Since the BBB doesn't separate the first 2 years, I can't tell... and, so far, the woman who wrote the article has declined to provide the true numbers behind her '67% spike' comment.

The e-mail I recieved - wooo hooo!!!! I'm going to thank her and explain a little more about the differences of order gatherers and local florists (nicely of course)

Your call
Inbox

x

Marjorie Stephens [email protected]

9:50 AM (0 minutes ago)

to me

The message has been deleted Jenifer. They were local stats for Pittsburgh and showed Fort Wayne. Thanks! The number of Florist complaints were actually 6 in 2010 and 2 in 2011. I will be re-writing something for the News Center! Thanks!

Marjorie Stephens | Director of Marketplace Services & BBB Charitable & Educational Foundation

Tel: 260-918-2067

Fax: 260-918-2079

[email protected]

www.bbb.org | Start With Trust

BBB of Northern Indiana

4011 Parnell Avenue

Fort Wayne, IN 46805