Brutal Assessment Please

Nov 22, 2009
West Saint Paul
any-timeflowers.com
State / Prov
Minnesota
For the past year and a half, I have spent VERY little time on actually giving real time and effort to my other store. You know, the electronic one.

This summer will be dedicated to really making it one that people enjoy and use. My site is a template, so some of it is not going to be negotiable unless I go to a custom site. That is certainly an option.

However, I need feedback on problems you see. I still have a heck of a lot of John Henry images included. One of the things that struck me today is how many of the designs are repeated throughout the different categories.

I'm also thinking I need to do better descriptions on the products.

If you have time, I would really appreciate it if you would take a gander and give me thoughts, whether it is image, design, price, whatever.

My site is http://www.any-timeflowers.com

Thank you so much in advance. I have no intentions of defending myself, I seriously am looking for brutal honesty.

Reactions: 1 person
I was able to view with my iPad.

You just need to get your stuff that you sell. You know that $50 spring flower arrangement you made yesterday but didn't have a chance to take the picture. Or how about the dozen mixed rose arrangement that the walk in customer saw in our cooler and took with them today.

Reactions: anytimeflowers
I'd like to see more product on home page. Too much wasted real estate. Linda I like your custom designs a lot. . Show more. I think a lot of shoppers are lazy and won't go past home page at times so give them something to buy from home page. Hit them with the product. Too much info on home page and not enough flowers. Jmo

I just launched brand new website. It should be live sometime today. Notice I chose all real estate for product.

Totally agree with Adam.
Linda when I open your site on my computer I see mostly text and not flower-work.
When I open Adam's site it's BAM! in your face with flowers flowers flowers yet very clean, simple and visually readable. His site really engages me. I'd move your flower pictures up toward the top and put your text regarding the 'date reminder code' down below.

Regarding your photos, is it possible to make them a bit larger and the same size within your green box? It would give the pages a cleaner, organized look.

Also Linda, I'm not sure what the sub-heading on the right side of front page means "More on Flower Shop".

I'm a big fan of credentials. I'd put the MNSFA seal up toward the top, left side column. It's a great visual and I believe it adds perceived value for the shopper.

One last thing - your site makes the shopper work to find the Home page and the Contact Us after surfing around - it's buried at the bottom of each page. Can you add these buttons to the top bar?

jmho

I think you hit the nail on the head when you called it your other store. Most websites seem so generic and don't have a sense of individualism-it would be really nice if you could give it some of your "Anytime Flowers" personality that people get when they walk into your brick and mortar location. The first thing I would do is drop that image of the old FTD (I think it was FTD?) container that I've seen on too many sites and replace it with a much larger, beautiful custom image of your own design. '

Do you not have a toll free number? If you don't, I would get one and have it front and center so potential customers can call if they have any questions. We get a lot of our orders over the phone after (or while) the customer is on the website. Some customers prefer to speak to a real live person and they have come to expect it to be a toll free call.

I registered and went all the way through the ordering process until it came time to pay. The first thing I noticed is that I can put in any address I want and it will only tell me after I submit it that it is out of the delivery area. Can you change that so that the delivery options pop up for only those zip codes that you service? I like the option of delivery or pick up. The second thing (and this is an issue on our site as well) is that the phone number has to be submitted in a particular format, but the site doesn't tell the customer what that format is. We have received numerous phone calls from customers trying to place orders on our site and they get stuck on the "phone number" part. You have to submit it they right way or it keeps kicking back. Frustrating. And my bad for not letting Ryan know about this before....
Another thing that I don't like about the template site is that the only way you can block out deliveries is by saying you're "closed". That's an issue for us on holidays when we're open but not making deliveries.

I agree that there's too much text on the home page without enough flowers, but I don't necessarily think it has to be all product for purchasing. As you mentioned, it's your other store and I think the home page should reflect that-not just what's in the cooler. Whenever I look at anyone's site I always wish I could see an actual picture of the shop so I can get a better idea of what they do. You do have the photo of the shop for your blooming plants....and I really like that. Maybe a nice pic that you can change seasonally under the 'About Us' tab? The more you can do to make it painfully obvious that you are actually a local shop, the better. I'm starting to think we should have a pic of our shop on the home page......
Not only is there a lot of text on the home page but it's in different sizes, colors, and fonts which makes for a very "busy".

I also agree that having your own designs is better. I know it's a lot of work to keep that updated, but it's worth it. We get a lot of comments that our site was the only one that had "different" arrangements when people are searching for a shop.

I know our template site isn't exactly how I would like it....but until we decide to shell out for a fully custom site, we will have to live with some of the limitations. We opted for a template site with a custom banner. It's an option if you want your home page to look a little more unique without spending the full blown custom site price. It was a good compromise for us at the time. www.trigsfloral.com if you want to look at it.

I pointed out a lot of things that could be improved, but that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of really good things about your site too!

Good luck....it can be overwhelming-I know!

These brutal assessments are great. I got excellent feedback last year on my site and made changes that helped a lot. It is like another store so the changes are on going and it's easy to fall behind. I need to take more pictures and get rid of some and streamline each page a bit more so there is not as much overlap.
I agree with everyone else that you need less words and more pictures on the home page. I also think that you have far too much explanation in the sympathy section that nobody will read or care about. You almost sound defensive or apologetic that you don't have a large image library like the WS. If they are on your site they don't care about the WS. Show your work and tell them "These are just some of the many sympathy expressions available. To discuss personalizing a memorial tribute, please call us."
On each image description on every category you can add in the description:Some substitutions may be necessary for same day delivery. We will stay true to the style and colors you have selected, but if you have any concerns please call to place your order.
Typo on the sympathy page 2nd paragraph 2nd sentence Thier should be Their
Add some video. I get comments all the time on my tour the store and my instructional videos. One lady apologized for calling late for a delivery. She got engrossed watching the videos and lost track of time. LOL
Keep taking your own pictures and add a few at a time to replace the JH images. Eventually you will have only your own stuff which you can recycle seasonally until you're sick of them or styles change.
I have so much to do on my site and in my shop that I am always balancing priorities. Change the window display vs. change the home page? Oy! Still looking for a time machine to send me back to the 70's. Good luck with your efforts!

also the Real Local florist link is useless
In Concord Ma they show 2 florists 1 is in Lowell and wires the flowers here to my competitor who has a great garden center but not so great flower shop. The other one listed is out of business.
I wish it wasn't such a monumental task to have our own data base of real florists to send people to. I currently link them to FSN but now I think they are accepting OG's so I need to stop that.

Sandy, your site looks good, and your designs are great too. Linda, I think Sandy's site is a good place to start, a lot of her own designs/ images, and really good prices. I also agree, w/ a website, there is always a need for tweaking daily or weekly, and we all can improve our own sites a lot....

You guys are just AWESOME! I already have half a page written down of stuff to work on.

Your sites are great.

One stupid question ~ how and where do I get a toll-free number?

Sandy, great tip on the mechanics of ordering. I know there are a lot of issues that stop people from making it all the way through, I do have an awful lot of people who give up and just call. I'm sure that is only a small percentage of all of those who are trying to order from me. I want it to be as easy as can be.

Poor Ryan, I foresee some tickets being submitted.

Well here's my 2 cents.

I don't like that you use the word "filler". Sounds like dog food "filler and byproducts" I use "accessory" or "accent" flowers instead.

With some of the pics the lighting is too "blown out" IOW- too bright, or the pics are too fuzzy or the work just isn't as good as I know you are.

Here's a trick- take your pic and then look at it in the camera. You see stuff in a camera that you don't see live. One perfect example on your site is the little yellow daisy arrangement. I KNOW you are a better designer than that arrangement.

In the catagories like "signatute collection" etc there is like one pic each.... not much of a collection... ;o)

Also I noticed that you used the word "rubrum" rather than "stargazer" How many times have people asked you to use stargazers instead of the rubrum lilies? I think it's super important to know all the terms and what not but it seems to me to "talk" to your customer (oline or in your store) at their level.

Also- I don't like in the shop by color catagories where birthday and funeral and christmas and and and is all mixed together. I don't like that at all.

I'm glad you are doing something with your site. I don't think your site is reflective of your work.

Also I'm not so sure about an 800 number. PITA if you ask me. And a lot more money to spend. Plus everybody has a cell phone with free long distance...at least the people who shop on line do. And with cell phones you still get charged minutes toll free or not. If someone is out of town just offer to call them right back as a courtesy so they don't have to pay for the phone call. But seriously who really calls long distance on a land line anymore?

lol

I KNEW I'd get nailed for those images sooner or later!

THIS IS NOT AN EXCUSE, JUST AN EXPLANATION!
I ended up taking some of those images on a pedestal in the back hallway because of all the holidays back to back, my "photo studio" (extra cooler), was otherwise occupied. I hated doing it, knew I shouldn't, did it anyway. The really WEIRD part to me is that I'm almost sold out of that little yellow pot of daisies! That is the reason why I started wondering if less perfect is more attractive to prospective customers, because they really believe that what they see is what they will get. I'm still wrestling with that.

Reactions: CarverFlowers
I have to disagree with the toll free number thing. Long distance cost for consumers are so low now a days that all your doing is giving the phone company a way to collect money.

Cell phones, cable phones and VoIP are unlimited and usually don't cost the consumer more money to call a local number.

Besides 800 numbers are no longer considered reputal and usually point to scammy companies.

lol

I KNEW I'd get nailed for those images sooner or later!

THIS IS NOT AN EXCUSE, JUST AN EXPLANATION!
I ended up taking some of those images on a pedestal in the back hallway because of all the holidays back to back, my "photo studio" (extra cooler), was otherwise occupied. I hated doing it, knew I shouldn't, did it anyway. The really WEIRD part to me is that I'm almost sold out of that little yellow pot of daisies! That is the reason why I started wondering if less perfect is more attractive to prospective customers, because they really believe that what they see is what they will get. I'm still wrestling with that.

Seriously I think they will buy just about anything with a $20 price point that has more than 3 flowers in it!

Sandy, I almost forgot!

WHAT image are you referring to that you thought might be FTD? Can you describe the container or give me the name of the design? Much appreciated.

I guess I was thinking the same thing about the 800 number. Why else would the og's be getting LOCAL phone numbers. I think it is a trust factor. BUT. There isn't any reason why both cannot be on the site. I mostly look at the phone number when trying to narrow down a local florist in a different delivery area from me. If I only see a toll free number I pass on by, but if I see one with a local area code for that area, I'll look further.

Shannon, yes, that's probably a factor.

Linda-
The arrangement I'm referring to is the one on your home page banner...it's also on the home page of Lori's website http://www.affairstorememberflorist.com/ and Mark's website http://www.smithsflowers.com/ as well as plenty of others I'm sure. That vase with the green beads was a spring holiday from FTD a few years back IIRC.

As far as the 800 #, I can see everyone's point. All I can say is this: Our grocery stores don't have toll free numbers but our floral dept. do. We get A TON of calls every day for the grocery store coming in on our dedicated floral line because they use the toll free number. So, I would say they aren't totally outdated. However, you may still opt not to have one. Our customers do use them. (maybe they're old?)

Ah yes. The banner. That is the only thing I really dislike about my site. I didn't know that I could use the template and still have my own banner. I asked about changing that image a while back and was told that is was not possible. Maybe I didn't word it right.

Thanks!