3. Inside Other Retail Outlet

Shop size:
  1. 500-1,000 Sq Ft
  2. 1,001-1,500 Sq Ft
  3. >2,000 Sq Ft
  4. 1,501-2,000 Sq Ft

Salary: Only 7% make greater than $51k

49% of shops have 2-3 employees

They also have info on average wages for different positions, annual sales volumes, WS membership (only 1% for BloomNet! vs 11% for Other)

There's lots of info, and I'm eager to hear your feedback.

How about this:

WS web site: 44%
Indie web site: 45%
Ecommerce: 46%

So ... knowing that all of the 44% from the WS are ecommerce, that leads to the conclusion that:
11% of florists in Canada don't have a web site at all
43% out of those 45% comprised of indie sites have no ecommerce.

That's 54% of Canadian florists who are opting to not compete against the OGs, while 44% of those who are competing online are doing so with WS web sites. Only 2% of florists have indie ecommerce sites.

That's freakin' shameful, people.

I just recieved the magazine today and so I have not really have had the time to examine all the numbers.
But I agree that those numbers that I have looked at, show an industry that is in trouble, is acting in the past, and is not looking toward the future that has already arrived,
Yet, when I look at the US numbers, I still see the same story, just told in much larger numbers.
It is a shame, on all of us.

Seems that we like to think of ourselves as progressive thinkers, but in reality, we are a bunch of old fashioned, stuck in the past, old fashioned, out of date business wannabees, who are happy to blame anyone other than ourselves for the demise of our sad state of affairs.

too bad, so sad...
JP

I thought it shed some light on a few issues in the industry. I don't know why someone would host a website and not bother to have it be e-commerce. I don't know why someone wouldn't have a website at all. I think technology can be very scary and my age definitely gives me an advantage here, but why not just do it and do it right?

I think some of the shops that responded to this survey will close over the next five years. How can a shop survive on less than $100, 000 per year unless they are run from a home?

I saw the article on Twitter today and had a peek. Very good read, and it tells us a lot about where we stand in the industry.

Interesting that 58% of florists in Canada are under $250k in sales, considering we were barely able to cover the bills at that amount a several years ago.

28% are under 100k? :hammer:

Reactions: anytimeflowers
That's 54% of Canadian florists who are opting to not compete against the OGs, while 44% of those who are competing online are doing so with WS web sites. Only 2% of florists have indie ecommerce sites.
That's freakin' shameful, people.

Every marketing book teaches you that sales and profits are a choice (not a mandate).......so here you have it and I bet the US is very close.....................54% are leaving alot of money on the table.

Every marketing book teaches you that sales and profits are a choice (not a mandate).......so here you have it and I bet the US is very close.....................54% are leaving alot of money on the table.

You gotta spend a little to make a lot.

Tying in to another thread, it's amazing how many florists will spend on WS selection guides, then not even build a decent web site. On the plus side, those WS books make it really easy for shops to fill those orders they are giving up by not competing online :)

This made me realize I haven't checked out my competitors websites in about 6 months so I decided to see how many have their own independent e-commerce websites here in Victoria.
There are 67 florists -not including the wedding only florists but including the grocery stores. Of that number only 11 florists including myself have independant websites and one of those does not have e-commerce. Two of the florists are very slow in updating their websites- one advertising a Mother's Day Special as their first item and the other a springtime arrangement.One florist doesn't have a true e-commerce site because they only have an email order page and on that even though there is a place for all the credit card information there is also a notation that the website is not secure and you should phone in your credit card information.A few of the independant sites have used generic pictures (probably Florist Review or similar) so they are not showcasing their own work.However I did come across a new florist that has an absolutely gorgeous website with e-commerce which now makes me wish I could afford more changes on my own website.All in all I think it was time well spent to check out the competition. It looks like we have a much higher percentage of independant sites here than the national average of only 2% but still the majority are either FTD or Teleflora. I also discovered in this research that a Canadawide FTD OG had added my shop again to their listing and when you click on it it goes to their FTD site. I have never been FTD and I told them to remove my listing over a year ago and they did but obviously put it back on. I sent them another email and told them to remove it again which they did. I guess I'll have to check them out every month to make sure they keep it off.
Can't wait to read the article. I haven't got my copy yet.

Dianne