Carns- Are they really the come back kid??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a floral snob, but a design snob. If it looks like a commodity, it makes the artist in me me feel like a sad panda. It also makes me sad for our industry because the more florists brand what we do as special, as a commodity, jewelry and chocolate and other gifts start to look better and better to the consumer. (in my area anyway)

For me, nothing personal Mr. and Mrs. Carn, it's business.

I stick to this code in my area and for my market:

Do the opposite of the grocery stores and FTD shops.

This has made us successful. I get 20 no carns for every 1 do you have carns.

When grocery stores and FTD shops quit whoring out the carn, I'll be selling the carn.

The reason why people see the carn as crap is FTD has done an AWESOME job branding what is supposed to be a personal gift to a commodity gift. It's not cause carns are ugly, but what is represents, commodity, is ugly to me when it's supposed to be special.

The dark purple and lime green carns are very cool and sexy. I must resist the urges to go to the dark side!! lol

I'm starting to feel this way about roses too, they are so cheap and plentiful that roses are no longer special. Another issue is the wilting, roses are really getting a bad rap because all the cheap ones wilt.

Trish

Reactions: 1 person
I'm starting to feel this way about roses too, they are so cheap and plentiful that roses are no longer special. Another issue is the wilting, roses are really getting a bad rap because all the cheap ones wilt.

Trish

Oh, no!! I hate to hear this statement! How can one of the most beautiful, revered flowers be condemned to this?

It's what we do with them that makes them special! They are a wonderful flower and I think it's fabulous that people can enjoy them more often than just for Valentine's Day or a birthday!

Our 50 cm dozen rose bouquets sell for $12.99 everyday and we have converted more people to rose buyers because they last so long!! So, I disagree with the statement that the cheap ones wilt. The ones that wilt are the ones that are old, in transit too long, or don't receive the proper care and handling from field to customer. That includes plenty of "expensive" long stems as well.

As a designer, I find it wonderful that I can use roses more often in everyday design work. They are so beautiful as they open! Wonderful colors, great fragrance (at least some of them), what's not to love?

I like roses. except classy. I hate classy roses, I have never liked them. One of my favorites is latin ambiance. I also like sahara, and dark milva and black bacarra and latin breeze
My favorite white is eskimo. favorite red is freedom, right now anyway, favorite light pink in kathrina, fav yellow is conga, fav green is green tea
We got some halloween in for a wedding this week, I like those too.

Years ago I got some black magic roses that had the most beautiful foliage. The outline of the foliage was black and shiny. So beautiful! Never saw them again. Bummer.

A whole bunch of years ago we got in some 90cm red roses for valentines day. The heads were so huge! When they opened they were 8" across. Never saw them again either. That's a drag!

However you feel about roses.....think about this. How many songs are written about carnations, daisies, lilies, - How many perfumes speak of roses, For some reason, it is always "the rose garden"

There is a charm, a mystique, an aura, about the rose that no other flower posseses.

Now, going back to carnations - Shakespeare wrote of the lowly carnation in his plays " There be no fairer flowers than our carnations" - Midsummer Nights Dream. Why is the carnation's botanical name - Dianthus - so named after Diana, the goddess of the hunt ?

Understand the beauty, the mystery, before you condemn.

Reactions: nmwinn
Isn't that the crux of being a designer? You have all this natural beauty and its up to you to understand it, leverage its strenghts and weaknesess, put it all together and make something out of nothing? Personally, my opinion is that a truly great designer can make anything amazingly beautiful. That is a skill that not everyone posesses but we can all appreciate, whether its carns or roses or exotics. Its the ability to take buckets full of plain old flowers and create something that evokes that emotion...

One of our 'Grande Dame's of floristry once said - (I may be paraphrasing)

"When you can't see the beauty
in a perfect red carnation,
it's time to get out of the business"

Frankie Shelton

That has always stuck with me - I often wish our customers would take the time to see the beauty!

Valerie

On that I will agree wholeheartedly - Frankie Shelton is indeed one of our 'Grande Dames'.

She's right - I echo the same sentiment - for me it goes like this " When I see that God has stopped growing beautiful flowers......then I know it is time for me to leave the industry "

However you feel about roses.....think about this. How many songs are written about carnations, daisies, lilies, - How many perfumes speak of roses, For some reason, it is always "the rose garden"

There is a charm, a mystique, an aura, about the rose that no other flower posseses.

Now, going back to carnations - Shakespeare wrote of the lowly carnation in his plays " There be no fairer flowers than our carnations" - Midsummer Nights Dream. Why is the carnation's botanical name - Dianthus - so named after Diana, the goddess of the hunt ?

Understand the beauty, the mystery, before you condemn.

A white sport coat, and a pink carnation.......
:)

I love to design with roses, but sorry, starting to get more and more customers that don't want roses and just consider them so so, just like carnations have become. I go to the grocery store and see dozens of rose bunches for $7.99 and they're old and wilted right next to the pink carnations with the BB and leather leaf for 2.99 a bunch. Our customers are seeing this product in less than flattering situations, even if it's not in our store. When they call on the phone, they can't see that wonderful arrangement in the cooler, they just tell you what they don't want. So we try to keep a variety of product on hand but many times when they want long lasting there's not much you can sell them that lasts as long as carns and mums/daisy.

Trish

Ok, now I've read a few posts saying call Carnations "dianthus".

At first I thought, that's a good idea, but then I thought, that's kind of like trickery..

I put myself in the customers shoes. If I said no carns, and they said, "hey, no problem, can we use dianthus?" and yes dianthus sounds fancy, but when carnations show up at Aunt Sallys house, I would be mad and call the shop to complain. Then when I was told "those are dianthus" I'd feel mad and tricked and stupid and foolish, and I'd never want to do business with that shop again.

If I go to a restaurant and ask for "no ice" in my drink, and they say "no problem, we will just put frozen water in your drink instead." It's still not what I want.

ok...........it would be unethical to send dianthus if the customer requests "no carns"
but if you are asked what a bouquet might include and are rattling off what's in your cooler then sayingdianthus instead of carnations or mini carnationswould seem to be a good transition !
Common sense should be your 1st and foremost concern and by no means did it convey trying to trick a customer !

Reactions: Twila
Groan right back at ya...

But hey, no kidding.... Sorry you say my post as unuseful.. But a lot of people on this board take the things we say literally. Not everyone here is a long time vet in the flower business..

I don't want any one to tell a customer we use dianthus when that customer has said I don't want carns.

On a different note, but still along the same lines.... I went to a design show some years back. The presenter was great, I hung on every word she said. I can remember her designs just not her name... anyhoo, The one thing that sticks out the most was she said to talk to customers using "their language" as to not make the customer feel stupid. Make the customer feel comfortable so they keep coming back again and again. Talk to them on their level but and at the same time communicate that you are knowledgeable and know your stuff....Just don't say "hey I know my stuff.."

seriously how many people call Babies breath gypsophila. BUT how many times have you heard it called "babies breast" or "angels breath" or "baby breath" or "baby breff" etc... But we know what they mean.

Do we feel the need to call Birds of Paradise Strelitzia to fancy them up? No.
Do we feel the need to call Calla Lilies Zantedeschia to fancy them up? No.
How many florists call snap dragons Antirrhinum? I Never heard one.

I hope you get my point. I'm not saying anyone is unethical, just be careful.

Shannon, I see your point, but, not sure I completely agree with it.

I prefer using the botanical name when talking with a customer because it puts me on another level. Of course, you have to be very careful not to insult the customer when doing this.

I find that the customer leaves thinking they are so smart because, now they know the botanical names of the flowers. it's part of the education process with them.

Opinions vary,

Carol Bice

That's what I'm trying to say Carol...

Most people know what a carnation is, but few know what dianthus is. I know from my own personal experience when a customer asks, "what do you have?" lets say in plants for instance... And I start going down the line of what we have, the customer usually will say "Oh I don't know what those are, just pick out something pretty".

I do think it's good to know your stuff, to be on another level... I just don't ever want to seem unapproachable from my customers view.
Knowing botanical names are especially great for garden clubers, they have much greater respect for you if you know botanical names.

I guess I just don't want to come across as the guy I saw on TV with his "This is Soho, we only use square vases" attitude.

It's a fine line to walk.

Shannon, I see your point, but, not sure I completely agree with it.

I prefer using the botanical name when talking with a customer because it puts me on another level. Of course, you have to be very careful not to insult the customer when doing this.

I find that the customer leaves thinking they are so smart because, now they know the botanical names of the flowers. it's part of the education process with them.

Opinions vary,

Carol Bice

In just the past week I've had some gents get some cuts and vased mixes and wanted to know the flowers..........one had florigene carnations with delphinium, larkspur, asiatic lilies, alstromeria ( I'll still marry ya) and I told him he could call the carnations either florigene or dianthus........he thought that was "cool"..........and left with a big smile!

It seems we've strayed "way off" the topic......

To those who've recently joined the corps........

There indeed was a time when carns or dianthus were considered ' the flower'
then................................
Growers overproduced and they became an usellable commodity .... 10 cents per stem in the supermarts ! Consiquentialy they had to plow their fields and thus the demise of the carn/dianthus

now.................................................

Growers are overproducing roses , selling at .40 to .50 at the supermarkets. Hopefully we won't see a repeat of the carn fiasco

will customers view roses as a cheap, unwanted flower ? Will producers have to plow their fields ?

What will florists use then ?..........

..there have been odes written to the rose...".will a rose by any other name smell as sweet" ....
Let's do everything we can to prevent a carn fiasco repeat....even if we have to give them another name !

If any cares....... Please refer to the tread starter and stick to the topic on the thread................. Or start another thread !

Carnations are not the only GREAT VALUE "come back kid". Educated retailers are finding terrific value in spray chrysanthemums. With so many varieties available to us, there is a multitude of colors, shapes and sizes. With "poms" costing less than 3.00 a bunch, even a SMALL bunch with only 30 placements means that you have a colorful, longlasting insert for .10.

Status
Not open for further replies.