Carns- Are they really the come back kid??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the industry has kept the stigma alive. I remember the pangs back in the early 80's.

It's funny how carnations are accepted in higher end arrangements and frowned upon the 3 red carn, 3 pom pom, one rose and BB arrangement in a nice basket.

My bride in two weeks is spending 900 per table, a NY bride who could afford Preston if she so wished, I am pairing hot pink carns with Peonies, roses, kale, viburnum, pink Hydrangea & artichoke. She loved the sample, she wants a full, lush, low and wide look. "The texture of Carnations when grouped in a ribbon fashion is exquisite". She agreed.

So many funeral arrangements were/are red, white, pink, or if someone is being really wild, peach carns. Therein lies the stigma for me. A wall of carns banking a casket leaves a lasting impression... not a positive one for the carns.

Then we had/have people spray painting the white ones baby blue for boys. My loathing of carns started a long time ago.

That being said, I love mini carns. Oh, and I also fell head over heels for the mauve carn.

V

We as florists - we killed the carnation - not the professional, educated, trained, retail florist, but the hobbiest, the amateur, the little old lady who likes to 'do flowers' for her garden club and thinks - I'll open a shop and do these pretty little things. Gathered into a vase with leatherleaf, babys breath, and a big bow....or scads of them in a whitewash basket......with tons of babys breath and leather.

Carnations, Babys breath, Gladiola - three flowers that have dual looks - when arranged by the hobbiest or the untrained amateur - look old-fashioned, poorly done, gobs of babys breath to hide mistakes........vice versa......in the hands of a properly educated, trained, professional floral designer......those basic flowers can be transformed into works of ethereal grace and beauty

The arrangement shown by Randy in JB's post - well-designed, classic good looks, and as Shannon notes - styled in a classic, been done forever styling. People see that and think of their grandma. Is there anything technically wrong with the design........no.

In order to recapture the grace, beauty, and charm that is the carnation......we need to use them in exciting, unique, and different ways.

A good example-I wish I had a picture, but a very good friend of mine - Ed Fisher AIFD works for the Charleston Place hotel ( this is a 5 star hotel ) - In their main dining room, he did a huge pave sphere of all red carnations atop a pedestal........and drew rave reviews. ( It should be noted that the executive chef hates carnations.....He was quoted as saying, that design was breathtaking......who would have ever thought simple carnations could look like that.

Shannon - if your boss will allow you......create one new design each week for the cooler display - using only carnations......but really stretch your creativity to the max and see what happens. You might be surprised. [EDIT: If you have trouble getting past a mental block associated with carnations, then look at them from the pattern standpoint - you are working with with a round mass flower pattern )

One of the most beautiful stage designs I ever saw was done in DC for symposium by Talmadge McLaurin AIFD using nothing but carnations and pixie carnations - He took various sized plexiglass risers and trays.....filled the trays with chopped up green stems of carnations, and had arranged different size spheres of florigene carnations......the shades of rich purple against the vibrant green was totally gorgeous.

I think Ricky explained what happend to the carnations perfectly. Great post, Ricky.

CArol Bice

Rickie - baloney. The appeal of that boquet goes way way beyond grandmothers.

Only a Fartiste would think that

and I don't so I guess that leaves you! :poke: (and Shannon)

Edit - see - I can't even spell boka

Bloomz, I see why you say wht you did and agree in part.

But, don't we want to see to those grandmothers that think exactly that way? I will make that type arrangement all day long if that is what they want. Their money is good in my shop.

I do think the florist themselves have educated the public to be flower snobs.

I personally know many of the greastest designers in the world and I can't think of a one of them that hate carnations.

Carol Bice

Rickie - baloney. The appeal of that boquet goes way way beyond grandmothers.

Only a Fartiste would think that

and I don't so I guess that leaves you! :poke: (and Shannon)

Edit - see - I can't even spell boka
HEY!!!! I'm not a flower snob!

Stop poking me!!!

So many funeral arrangements were/are red, white, pink, or if someone is being really wild, peach carns. Therein lies the stigma for me. A wall of carns banking a casket leaves a lasting impression... not a positive one for the carns.

Then we had/have people spray painting the white ones baby blue for boys. My loathing of carns started a long time ago.

That being said, I love mini carns. Oh, and I also fell head over heels for the mauve carn.

V

It's all in the presentation.

Carol Bice

I think the industry has kept the stigma alive. I remember the pangs back in the early 80's.

It's funny how carnations are accepted in higher end arrangements and frowned upon the 3 red carn, 3 pom pom, one rose and BB arrangement in a nice basket.

My bride in two weeks is spending 900 per table, a NY bride who could afford Preston if she so wished, I am pairing hot pink carns with Peonies, roses, kale, viburnum, pink Hydrangea & artichoke. She loved the sample, she wants a full, lush, low and wide look. "The texture of Carnations when grouped in a ribbon fashion is exquisite". She agreed.

PULEEZE POST A PICTURE WHEN DONE ! SOUNDS EXQUISITE !

carnation HATE is sort of a generational thing THE BABY BOOMERS ! my younger customers love them.....probably from me handing them a mini-blossom when they came in with their Moms when they were little.

Reactions: Twila and Connie
Whoops.......forgot about the cupcake phenomena they're a carnation hot seller all over the country ! Pictures on all the buses here in chi. Not a design winner but a seller !

Reactions: SpringCity
Ha!
I have my purple carnation design on display on my front table.

It retails for $65.00 and I have had 5 people this morning walk in
and tell me
"I do not like carnations, BUT, that is really, really cool".
I have sold 3 orders for the design today.

PULEEZE POST A PICTURE WHEN DONE ! SOUNDS EXQUISITE !

carnation HATE is sort of a generational thing THE BABY BOOMERS ! my younger customers love them.....probably from me handing them a mini-blossom when they came in with their Moms when they were little.
Cute idea! When the young kids are well behaved, we give them a balloon. I DON'T KNOW WHY! I hate when my youngest brings them home because they either get caught in a ceiling fan, they pop and she cries or my cats almost choke on the sting.
Giving youngsters a carn or pixie and educating them on it's care can have a great effect on future customers (as well the parent-customers love flower education!)

I like most flowers but not all colours. As far a carnations are concerned we ( the staff and I) love Prado - pale green carnations. They go with everything have that edge to them that the more traditional colours don't they work on both a modern and traditional level. I also like burgundy rather than red at christmas and valentines. I like the Lilac ones too but they are readily available around here.
We stock pale green normally but no other colours because of the reasons stated. But at peak periods we do other colours as well.

Reactions: Palms
I love carns, and I try to (gently) persuade those who say "just no carnations" when asked about flowers they want in a design, by showing all the awesome new novelties. Of course by new, I mean in production for at least 10 years, but somehow they're still new to consumers. I don't carry the florigenes particularly, because they have tended to be quite small ... maybe that's changed.

And my shameless plug for Delaware Valley customers - their branded novelty carns are G I N O R M O U S, and beautiful - hope they'll come into more color choices as the seasons progress. I like my flowers BIG (today I got a giggle by asking for "big fat Coxflor gerbers" and telling my rep to not read that outloud lol ) and these carns are big & round & fluffy on long sturdy stems. Yay!

V- Gaida, I think, was the mauve - don't see it often anymore, but it is so so so pretty, true mauve. Love it too.

I'm not a floral snob, but a design snob. If it looks like a commodity, it makes the artist in me me feel like a sad panda. It also makes me sad for our industry because the more florists brand what we do as special, as a commodity, jewelry and chocolate and other gifts start to look better and better to the consumer. (in my area anyway)

For me, nothing personal Mr. and Mrs. Carn, it's business.

I stick to this code in my area and for my market:

Do the opposite of the grocery stores and FTD shops.

This has made us successful. I get 20 no carns for every 1 do you have carns.

When grocery stores and FTD shops quit whoring out the carn, I'll be selling the carn.

The reason why people see the carn as crap is FTD has done an AWESOME job branding what is supposed to be a personal gift to a commodity gift. It's not cause carns are ugly, but what is represents, commodity, is ugly to me when it's supposed to be special.

The dark purple and lime green carns are very cool and sexy. I must resist the urges to go to the dark side!! lol

Reactions: SpringCity
I'm not a floral snob, but a design snob. If it looks like a commodity, it makes the artist in me me feel like a sad panda. It also makes me sad for our industry because the more florists brand what we do as special, as a commodity, jewelry and chocolate and other gifts start to look better and better to the consumer. (in my area anyway)

For me, nothing personal Mr. and Mrs. Carn, it's business.

I stick to this code in my area and for my market:

This has made us successful. I get 20 no carns for every 1 do you have carns.

When grocery stores and FTD shops quit whoring out the carn, I'll be selling the carn.

The reason why people see the carn as crap is FTD has done an AWESOME job branding what is supposed to be a personal gift to a commodity gift. It's not cause carns are ugly, but what is represents, commodity, is ugly to me when it's supposed to be special.

The dark purple and lime green carns are very cool and sexy. I must resist the urges to go to the dark side!! lol

and here is the crux of the whole matter........Do what is best for your business and for your customers. If Brandon has chosen to not carry carnations and that decision has been a profitable one for his business......then so be it.

NOTHING WRONG WITH DOING WHAT IS THE BEST FOR YOUR BUSINESS.

Reactions: floraldesignson99th

lol

Our grocery stores have quite the variety flowers here - if we quit selling what they had - that wouldn't leave us much.

Our grocery stores have quite the variety flowers here - if we quit selling what they had - that wouldn't leave us much.
Actually, I would be hard pressed to find a carnation at our local grocery
stores.
They have a great selection of cuts including peony, sunflower, cymbidium
orchid stems, iris, lily...even ranunuculs and anomone bunches. Many locally
grown.
In fact, I don't think I have seen bunches of carnations for years at the
stores. I do see them on occasion in their mixed bundles and pre made
designs.
I agree. We can't stop selling what the grocery stores sell...but, we can
give them a reason to buy from us instead.

We have buckets of loose carns in our coolers. We give carns out to about 300 customers every week (day of the week varies so as to hit different customers). We also have 7 stem carnations in our consumer bunches for $3.99 retail. We sell more loose stems than the consumer bunches. We probably use most of the 7 stemmers in design. It's interesting that we sell lots of the rainbow minis, but not the standard bunches. Maybe it's because they're all one color?

Have to agree with Dore - At least in our area.......We don't see a huge amount of carnations at the mass marketers. - Mostly, roses and mixed bunches. Our local Wal-mart though has started carrying single stem green/white hydrangeas though - pretty good quality too - price - 1.99

Reactions: HeatherTuckey
Status
Not open for further replies.