Carns- Are they really the come back kid??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every Labor Day weekend we are in the local Parade and hand out carnations with a gift card attached to them. I get the bi-colors and all the weird looking colors of carnations and that alone gets the customers in the store/calling on the phone. Most of them say" I didn't know carnations come in sooo many colors" . I like carns as a good standby and if the arrangement or whatever you're make looking beautiful who cares if it has carns in it.

It's also about educating the customers/clients to change the "stereo" type on some flowers/styles.

I have noticed that designers at shows are using more and more carnations. At our SCFA convention next month, Madeline McDonald, AIFD, is presenting a program entitled "Carnations Reinvented."

I love all flowers, even the beautifully scented purple blooms of kudzu.

I so wish I could go! And that I could drag the staff with me.

So I told Amy, I'm gonna buy some carns next week create a modern design shove it in the display cooler and see what happens. She made a face, but then agreed...
We'll see what happens...

It's strange. I can't sell a carnation over the phone to save my life. It's all "no carnations,I hate those things" Walk-ins, however, love them. We almost always keep what we call our Old Fashioned Carnation Basket in the cooler. The thing always sells. Go figure.

I have noticed that designers at shows are using more and more carnations. At our SCFA convention next month, Madeline McDonald, AIFD, is presenting a program entitled "Carnations Reinvented."

I love all flowers, even the beautifully scented purple blooms of kudzu.

Knowing Madeline like Connie and I do......She will present a dynamic program, fun, informative program........with some wild and crazy moments.......and a touch of the ditzy blonde ( She can get herself in to some of the funniest adventures )......but, I love her to death.

Reactions: Connie
I so wish I could go! And that I could drag the staff with me.

So I told Amy, I'm gonna buy some carns next week create a modern design shove it in the display cooler and see what happens. She made a face, but then agreed...
We'll see what happens...

One thing to remember - Repetition is the key - Don't give up if the first or second design does not sell right away - Persistence and your walk-in customers becoming accustomed to seeing carnations preseneted in a unique style will be important.

It's strange. I can't sell a carnation over the phone to save my life. It's all "no carnations,I hate those things" Walk-ins, however, love them. We almost always keep what we call our Old Fashioned Carnation Basket in the cooler. The thing always sells. Go figure.

Sometimes people stigatized by carnations are just fine with dianthus.

2yla uses that all the time.

I am just glad more and more carnations actually have fragrance again, seemed to be a period where most varieties actually did not have a fragrance. We rarely get them but, not that great of production here and the nicer varieties like Prado, are often on par in price with roses. People do see some value in them here. We use them in handties in groupings, nice area of texture like that. Now spray carnations are in overflow at the grocery stores here, ugh, don't even want to compete with those prices.
Florist friend of mine (who is actually a flowersnob) just did her wedding bouquet of all white carnations in a tight posy with diamantes, looked stunning.

Reactions: Carol Bice
JB thread with RC's carn pic has me thinking.

Again I stand by my opinion that the arrangement is well made, but IMHO it rocks the 70's.. Very old fashioned design.

Anyway,
Time and time again we hear from our customers, NO CARNS!!!

Are we the only ones?

I REALLY try to sell them too, in more modern designs.... NOPE, they don't want them.

How are your carn sales?

I love carns... When people tell me NO carns.. I always ask WHy? Cheap, ugly- usual answers - I always say it's not the flower that is ugly - it's the design.. Carns are great when designed nicely..

On the other hand - two of my very best top customers (one is my top customer) love carns... they are their favs...

Oh, we aren't allowed baskets either. Again, not my rule...

....... and I can recall the time when using a basket, a bow, a bird, a butterfly, and/ or a faux bee, and babys breath was the thing to 'sell' a design........if that design just would not sell......pick one or more 'B" and out the door it would go............

Rickie - baloney. The appeal of that boquet goes way way beyond grandmothers.

Only a Fartiste would think that

and I don't so I guess that leaves you! :poke: (and Shannon)

Edit - see - I can't even spell boka

JB.....You and I see things with different mindsets......You and I are from a time when carnations styled like that were 'the thing' - however, today's younger/future flower buyer......potential customer.....sees things differently than you and I.

I have said this many times......and stand by it....." What we like or don't like means absolutely nothing.......the only things that matters is what our customers will like and buy "

My favorite flower bar none is Gerbera.......does that mean that every one of my customers will get gerbera in their designs.......NO. If the customers say no way, they won't even see the first gerbera.

This thread is interesting--I think carns are the comeback kid. We are planning a Sunday Design Contest for our state convention. One of the categories is titled "Simple Elegance." We are searching for the best arrangement using 12 carnations with accent flowers. Knowing the designers we have who enter these contests there will be some different and unusual designs. They will be anything but common!!!:boggles::boggles::boggles::boggles::boggles:

We should have a carn challenge here on FC!!

Yes, Yes, Yes!!

I have an ulterior motive for a contest....I want to have an in store event next January, a "Carnation Celebration!" and have a contest for the designers at each store using only carnations. I love the orbs and the monochromatic designs!

I truly think carnations will make a comeback. They may not be cheap like they used to be, but because they last so long, they are a GREAT value! All the new varieties and wonderful colors will help too. We can also help them along by showing some great carnation designs.

Anyone ever make the snowman out of carns from Martha Stewart? It's adorable-a lot cuter than those puppies made of mums!

Oh, and by the way, we sell TONS of the rainbow mini carnation bouquets. People come in all the time and tell us they can't believe how long they last.

Shannon-I find it contradictory that your shop makes and sells the "April" arrangements of mixed flowers, yet you can't use carnations. It's not the carnation, it's what's done with it. My bet is you will come up with some fab designs! Keep pushing it! (also, if we have a contest on FC, you will have to get some in to enter the contest!!)

Ah, I'm not gonna push it... What for? I have surrendered to "give 'em what they want". why try to talk a customer out of what they want. They want a "Aprils style" that's what they will get. The bottom line is, it's Amy's store- not mine, if she doesn't want carns, so be it.

I may not even do my little experiment next week...
I need to think about it some more.

The poor carnation

Carnations were one of my first loves. I love the smell, the longevity, the
colors. Especially the floragenes....and , white!
The poor carnation. Such a bad rap. They just got overused...sold on every
street corner, grocery store and used everywhere. They got shoved aside
without even knowing what happened.
When I opened my second shop, 20 yrs after the first, I became a carnation snob.
My rule was...no carnations..they are a "special order".
They weren't all that cheap to buy, either.

But, I am so warming up to them and love to use them as a mass in designs.
I don't like them in designs where they are just poked here and there.
I went to a design show this weekend and was inspired by a carnation design
and attached is my rendition. It has 50 carnations.
I have customers that will tell me "no carnations". At first , I was all about
it, but now, I love to show them how cool the carnation can be.
The other day, a lady told me to make her a handtie, use whatever, but, no
carnations. She follows me into the cooler and points to a vase of purple
carnations and says, be sure to use lots of those!!

Attachments

• carnation.jpg
    carnation.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 52
Status
Not open for further replies.