Carns- Are they really the come back kid??

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannonlovesflowers

Oct 16, 2007
Albuquerque
State / Prov
New Mexico
JB thread with RC's carn pic has me thinking.

Again I stand by my opinion that the arrangement is well made, but IMHO it rocks the 70's.. Very old fashioned design.

Anyway,
Time and time again we hear from our customers, NO CARNS!!!

Are we the only ones?

I REALLY try to sell them too, in more modern designs.... NOPE, they don't want them.

How are your carn sales?

Reactions: 1 person
I think saying "no carns" is a way of saying no cheap, no traditional, no stodgy.

However I love carns and so do some other people. If I do them I use them in clean modern designs and only if it's ok w/the customer. I don't want carns to be a default flower here because people have an idea they're low-end. Even if I disagree I have to give 'em what they want.

I notice if I have a bucket of carns here people won't buy them unless they are unusual colors like those purple ones.

I think carnations have a stigma attached to them as being ugly and cheap. IMO, they look just as nice, if not better than many other flowers. If the customer never heard negative criticism about carnations and they compared them to other flowers, I bet many would think they look nicer than a lot of them.

They're a victim of over exposure and negative exposure. It's like when the "cool kids" in high school say something is good or bad, people naturally will follow.

Overall our carnation sales have declined drastically.

I think we have just as many requests for "carnations" as we do for "no carnations".

IMHO... they are one of my top five favorite flowers. They last forever, they are available in the most beautiful varieties, almost every week I see a new variety that I have never seen in our novelty box. I love the bi colors, I love to mix the vibrant colors. I can bring 25-50 stems home, even for 50 stems my cost is like $12, if I were buying at retail, they are only $12.99 per dozen. I can make a bunch of smaller cubes, some cool cylinders... one huge macdaddy gathering vase or low bowl - whatever! I can forget about them til the water looks nasty, rinse the slime off the stem, recut and they still last 10 days.

I love mini carns too for the same reason. Throw is some really cool foliages, all shined up purtee.... can't beat it!

We go through a ton - about 1400-1750 per week, more of the novelty colors. The customers in the store love them and they really add a pop of color in a sizable flower for only $1 retail in the mixed vases, bunches and funeral work. We rarely make designs with all carnations except if they request... more so in funeral work. When the carnations are displayed and used in the store - the customers pick them, b/c the novelty colors are so pretty. It's a harder sell on the phone, b/c customers think they are only red, pink or white.

We use a full box of novelty carns every other week...that is about 350. Our floral designs run on average $65-150 day in and day out. We use a box of mini callas, green mini hydranga, stock, white/blue and pink hydrang'as, roses, peonies, tulips. orchids, casa, starfighters and gerbs and of course other blooms as well during a week too..I am fortunate to have a very creative crew that can make a 35 arrangement look awesome and can knock anyones socks off as well at 150-200. I like what they do with carns too.
I think if you stigmatize carns, perhaps you are shutting out those great design skills you have a well as perhaps discouraging some consumers...jmho

I get a LOT of people who say NO carns! So if they request no carns, well, then they get NO carns! LOL, No problem :)

I also have a lot of customers who come in and say how much are those roses, pointing to a bunch of carnations!! Duh!

I think there are some really cool carnation varieties out there, and most people would appreciate them in a floral design, and wouldn't even know they are carnations!

I agree with the above posts that people just think they are a cheap flower??!!

Meanwhile, I have been telling people, that carns can be more expensive than roses sometimes! The days of cheap carns are long gone-

if I want just 25 carns from local wholesaler today they would cost anywhere from 35-45 cents a stem! I remember being able to get carns for no more than 20-25C each, but not anymore, unless you are buying bulk....but with all the customers telling us NO carns, why would we buy them in bulk?!

I have to admit that I really like carns too...for all the reasons Heather mentioned above. Carns are quite beautiful - they are ruffly, colorful, long lasting, inexpensive and they smell lightly of sweet cloves.

I think they've gotten an unfair bad rep because they have been overused in old fashioned or badly designed arrangements.

I enjoy carns in my home quite often and they ALWAYS bring me delight. I especially enjoy having a couple of stems on my night stand next to my bed. The delicate fragrance is nice to fall asleep and wake up to.

I feel bad that some folks see carns as a "cheap" flower. I have a hard time believing that anyone looking at a gorgeous deep purple Florigene carn could ever think "That flower looks cheap."

I have read many threads about the pros and cons of carnations...and I can't help but be strongly PRO CARN!

I'm getting more requests for carns in the weddings. Still no mini carns, but brides want to use them in groupings without any other flower like the Martha Stewart place card bed of carns, pomanders and even bouquets with just on variety tightly grouped with no other accents.

I've even used pink ones grouped together to look like a peony in the off season months.

Flower snob here, I don't carry them at all here, only by request. I think it because of coming close to walking on water a few times, that smell kills me. But if they want them I will do them, but I won't tip the ends of them or spray them at all..

I'm also not a huge fan of carnations either... but lately I'm drawn to them. I also group a couple together to get a "peony" effect in a bride's bouquet. I've also found that color really makes a difference... it's all those dyed versions people see at the grocery store, or memories of a cheap corsage with one wilting mini carnation and a boatload of baby's breath.

But show a bride a cluster of big buttery yellow carnations and she'll swoon...

I think carnations have a stigma attached to them as being ugly and cheap. IMO, they look just as nice, if not better than many other flowers. If the customer never heard negative criticism about carnations and they compared them to other flowers, I bet many would think they look nicer than a lot of them.

They're a victim of over exposure and negative exposure. It's like when the "cool kids" in high school say something is good or bad, people naturally will follow.

Have to agree with this, and we get the "No carns" requests quite frequently and also requests for "longer lasting like carnations and daisies" requests. I try to add them to arrangements here and there just because they are long lasting and they can be added in a way that is a unique design element. Not every carn has to be in a vase with BB and we get very few requests for that. I occasionally put a bunch in a vase arrangement in the cooler but add a twist, sometimes thay actaully sell. People don't expect a vase of carns when they come looking in our cooler.

Trish

Love them. Wouldn't live without them. My Mother's favorite flower. and "Traditional Favorite"

One of the finest flowers God grew.

I need coffee, can you tell?

nothing better to give vibrant and jewel tone designs than those novelty carns. Florigene - can't kill them - and kids love the purples.
Longevity - variety - soft scent are all plusses.
And yes we get people who think carnations are a "funeral flower" just as they do glads.

also want to say, that we are not allowed to put carns in anything unless the customer specifically ask for them.

also want to say, that we are not allowed to put carns in anything unless the customer specifically ask for them.

Is that your rule or the owners rule? Why?

Why aren't the other "basic" or "old fashioned" flowers blackballed in your shop; like glads, poms, fugi/footbal/cremone... or perhaps they are too.

If you challenged each designer to make a creative design using carnations with or without other flowers don't you think they could?

If a customer loved the look of peonies but was on a low budget and needed the arr to be long lasting, wouldn't you suggest using carnations?

Is that your rule or the owners rule? Why?

Why aren't the other "basic" or "old fashioned" flowers blackballed in your shop; like glads, poms, fugi/footbal/cremone... or perhaps they are too.

If you challenged each designer to make a creative design using carnations with or without other flowers don't you think they could?

If a customer loved the look of peonies but was on a low budget and needed the arr to be long lasting, wouldn't you suggest using carnations?
Owners Rule.

I haven't figured out why. I just do what I'm told.

We as florists - we killed the carnation - not the professional, educated, trained, retail florist, but the hobbiest, the amateur, the little old lady who likes to 'do flowers' for her garden club and thinks - I'll open a shop and do these pretty little things. Gathered into a vase with leatherleaf, babys breath, and a big bow....or scads of them in a whitewash basket......with tons of babys breath and leather.

Carnations, Babys breath, Gladiola - three flowers that have dual looks - when arranged by the hobbiest or the untrained amateur - look old-fashioned, poorly done, gobs of babys breath to hide mistakes........vice versa......in the hands of a properly educated, trained, professional floral designer......those basic flowers can be transformed into works of ethereal grace and beauty

The arrangement shown by Randy in JB's post - well-designed, classic good looks, and as Shannon notes - styled in a classic, been done forever styling. People see that and think of their grandma. Is there anything technically wrong with the design........no.

In order to recapture the grace, beauty, and charm that is the carnation......we need to use them in exciting, unique, and different ways.

A good example-I wish I had a picture, but a very good friend of mine - Ed Fisher AIFD works for the Charleston Place hotel ( this is a 5 star hotel ) - In their main dining room, he did a huge pave sphere of all red carnations atop a pedestal........and drew rave reviews. ( It should be noted that the executive chef hates carnations.....He was quoted as saying, that design was breathtaking......who would have ever thought simple carnations could look like that.

Shannon - if your boss will allow you......create one new design each week for the cooler display - using only carnations......but really stretch your creativity to the max and see what happens. You might be surprised. [EDIT: If you have trouble getting past a mental block associated with carnations, then look at them from the pattern standpoint - you are working with with a round mass flower pattern )

One of the most beautiful stage designs I ever saw was done in DC for symposium by Talmadge McLaurin AIFD using nothing but carnations and pixie carnations - He took various sized plexiglass risers and trays.....filled the trays with chopped up green stems of carnations, and had arranged different size spheres of florigene carnations......the shades of rich purple against the vibrant green was totally gorgeous.

It's not my hang up!

I've been trying to get them to use alstroe, carns, etc...
They wont do it. I have a staff of flower snobs, and I let them all know that they are flower snobs, including Amy. They don't care what I think! :)

The arrangement shown by Randy in JB's post - well-designed, classic good looks, and as Shannon notes - styled in a classic, been done forever styling. People see that and think of their grandma.

Rickie - baloney. The appeal of that boquet goes way way beyond grandmothers.

Only a Fartiste would think that

and I don't so I guess that leaves you! :poke: (and Shannon)

Edit - see - I can't even spell boka

Reactions: HeatherTuckey
Status
Not open for further replies.