Corsage Gluing -something's wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to say, I love my Oasis Floral Adhesive, love it, love it, love it, especially the clear stuff!
buttonholes, corsages, sometimes all glued or mixed with a bit of wire and taping, cake tops, and even some large demo pieces.
If you you hot glue, or even the low melt or pot glue, and you refrigerate your creation,it will literally seperate and pop off at some point. Cold glue is easy to use out of the tube, just don't squeeze the tube so you get it everywhere, or put some on the side and dip generous amounts. Never had any probs and no it does not take the creativity out of making a button hole etc, just opens up a whole new world of possibilities. (my homepage creation is glued with you guessed it, oasis cold glue. A recent wedding I made buttonholes of a rose and senecio glued onto a leaf cut into a rectangular shape, the rose did not pop off and they had been refrigerated and also worn by two very rambunctious little boys. You just need to give them a minute or 2, 3 to set. Patience. Find something else to do while you wait.

I recently went to a wedding demo by Helen Jamieson. She was using tiny little tubes of oasis cold glue, which looked loads easier to use. I have more trouble with the metal type tube getting in a mess, than the actual glue itself. Sadly, she picked up the tubes in Japan and not available here, but same glue !!

I recently went to a wedding demo by Helen Jamieson. She was using tiny little tubes of oasis cold glue, which looked loads easier to use. I have more trouble with the metal type tube getting in a mess, than the actual glue itself. Sadly, she picked up the tubes in Japan and not available here, but same glue !!

I am sure if Japan or Smithers Japan has smaller tubes then the 50 ml now avail in the UK, you will see them there in no time, (pretty sure that Helen will be trying to get them there already) UK and the continent generally get whatever Japan has rather quickly, like when Mizukhi wire became popular etc. Nothing wrong with the 50 ml tube, just don't squeeze it too much or squeeze up from the bottom like toothpaste.:flowers:

I don't put drops in my ribbons, I just coat the flower itself and put it into the ribbon or decorations.

We have used the cold glue for a very long time now. We learned on pan glue but switched over.

Usually the best results are obtained by coating the flower and putting glue on the base where you're going to place the flower. Let each bit of glue set for a bit before you place them together. When the flower is placed it should be held into place for several seconds.

Cabela's is just a few miles from Jenny's store.

Carriann, we use sprays and dendrobium orchids, not full size roses. Sometimes we'll use alstro, buttons or other small flowers.

Just a little bit off topic.... How many of you use standard size roses and carns in your glued wrist corsages?? We are the only ones in our area the DON'T. We use sweets, sprays, and minis.

Wow those other florists must have some crazy huge wrist corsages!

Good, I'm glad we're not the only ones who don't use the standard size flowers. Not that I would change things, I like the way the smaller flowers look not to mention they are easier to work with and are less likely to fall off.

we also use dendros, alstra, daisies, buttons, etc....

agree, even more reason they could pop off :cool:

We glue full size roses all the time and have never had a problem with them ~popping off!~ I prefer the look of the miniature flowers, but the kids in our town love the larger roses in their corsages. Our most popular pick for the proms is the corsage shown below with three standard size roses and filler flower. Our bases are constructed the way J showed them on his video about gluing corsages (which can be seen on www.ubloom.com) we make the figure 8 shape out of chenilles and attach lots and lots of ribbons, beads, pearls, etc. The base of oodles of ribbons is wonderful for gluing flowers.

Logan...I have never heard of the oasis glue in CLEAR!!! I would love to be able to purchase the glue in clear! I will have to ask our wholesaler, but have not seen it in the USA.

Attachments

• Rose Corsage.jpg
    Rose Corsage.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 49
Not to be rude at all, but don't you think that takes the "art" out of our work? It would make me feel like they all are just another order, and I like to treat each one special.

Personally, I can wire and tape quite fast - well at least I used to be able to. Now that we glue, our designs are so much prettier. It definately has added more "Art" to our corsages. Now they can all look different. It's just like anything else, until you try it and get used to doing something different, we stand by what's familiar. Instead of "overthinking" it, just give it a try, then decide.

Logan...I have never heard of the oasis glue in CLEAR!!! I would love to be able to purchase the glue in clear! I will have to ask our wholesaler, but have not seen it in the USA.

Dianne, I am pretty sure it is available USA, I think I may have bought some in Canada last time I was there, can't remember if it was the clear or not. Got some from http://www.fusionflowers.com before too.

I found being able to glue brought the art back to the corsage.

V

You don't really have to hold the flowers in place if you let the glue sit on the base upside heads for just 30 sec before putting it in the spot you want it. You can have all the heads of roses sitting upside down then put glue on the tips, wait & put in place. One thing I have encountered is you have to let them sit out a t room temp for at least 1 hr before refrigeration because the glue needs to harden so the roses won't pop off. I had it happen when I 1sr started using it because I didn't know to leave them out. I actually wire the greens & some filler along with the bow to the wristlet instead of gluing because it is faster. I have noticed to that you have to make sure you put enough glue on the rose to hold it on as well. When the greens & ribbon are wired onto the wristlet, less chance of flowers falling off the corsage. When I 1st tried it the whole thing popped off the wristlet because I glued it on & put it straight in the cooler. Once you get the hang of how long to let the glue set up, you will be amazed at how much faster gluing is than wiring & taping. The corsages also look so much nicer & are very lightweight. Goodluck!!

Glue

I use both. I cover the wristlet with a wrap around of ribbon, hot glue it and then hot glue bow and then tube glue everything else on. We use lots of wire and beads and fun things. Someone once told me if the Oasis glue doesn't hold you just aren't using enough! I tell the trainees to use so much that you can just barely cover and hide it.

You don't really have to hold the flowers in place if you let the glue sit on the base upside heads for just 30 sec before putting it in the spot you want it. You can have all the heads of roses sitting upside down then put glue on the tips, wait & put in place.

That reminds me, we came up with a great idea for this. We took empty egg cartons and turned them upside down. Then we put our rose heads in the little nooks of the carton. It holds the flowers upside down with out them falling over!! Works like a charm!

Reactions: 3 people
Thanks everyone, going to practice with Oasis glue tomorrow. I find it just dries so quickly, so much is wasted. Will try the candle holder trick, and putting glue on the flower as well as the piece it's being adhered to.
Rhonda I'd love you to stop by the shop on your vacation. My husband can tell you the exact mileage from Cabela's to the shop, (I'll guess 5.2 miles depending on which way you go) Lucky for him it's even closer to our house. I think he's been 5 times already, maybe 6.

Mylords, you lost me on the wristlette thing, if you glue ribbon to the band, how does it stretch onto the wrist?
We only use the Fitz bands, can't stand the elastic bands, but if there's an alternative to dressing them up, I'd look at that.

Gluing Corsages (and Bouts) DVD coming soon...from JTV!

Great posts about the Gluing and Techniques...

Cathy is Right... HOT GLUE and FRESH FLOWERS don't mix...
The Heat alone is hard enough on the flowers...
Think Flowers in a toaster oven... anything about 100 degrees is fatal to flowers!

I am creating an HOUR Long DVD on Flowers To Wear this coming July... and it will have all the tricks, techniques and suggestions I have encountered, gathered and shared... all about GLUING using OASIS Floral adhesive... NO HOT GLUE!

BTW: The CLEAR GLUE is a product of Japan and not available in the US due to one of the chemicals in the product... it can't be sold in California! So that has halted the import... FYI!

You can buy it overseas (then you have to figure out how to get it here?) I have lost a couple in customs myself...

It truly does boil down to practice and perfecting your very own specific technique on gluing... and getting in your own groove with it! We all design a bit differently and we need to OWN it!

That will be the topic of the DVD... and also include all the JTV webisodes about Gluing Corsages and Bouts...

I know it will valuable to get that information on DVD for EVERYONE!

Oasis Floral Adhesive in the tube is the best. Never have had a problem. Could your issue be a problem of mishandling on the clients end? These prom girls are not always the "delicate" flowers they appear to be! lol
Anyhow, the Oasis glue has made my life so much easier & has cut my design time in half!

Status
Not open for further replies.