Corsage Gluing -something's wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
just learning gluing as well, was using lomey adhesive at first, and hated it, then learned it was for plastic not flowers(oops) now we have lots of fun with glue. some I glue others I wrap, others I combine the two.. We are using corsage magnets and large headed roses, lillies, and =all sorts of stuff. We did Catteleyas for mom's day and they where great fun with glue, can't imagine ever wiring them. I figure if a cattleya isn't too large then nothing is. We're having lot's of fun trying all sorts of new things. Every corsage and bout is it's own individual baby here. it's just too fun.

Glue

We've Used Hot Pan Glue For 10 Years (mostly Because The Designers Were Allergic To The Acetone Fumes Of The Cold Glue ) With No Problems...... You Have To Be Sure You Have A Good Ribbon Or Tulle Base For It To Adhere To. We Usually Do 100 + For Each Homecoming And About The Same For Prom......we Have 8 High Schools In The Immediate Area.

When We Used Cold Glue, We Used The Can......( Tip : Keep The Can And The Application Bottle In The Cooler Between Uses And It Will Last Forever ! ) But I Have Also Used The Tube (no Allergies) It's Certainly True It Takes The Cold Glue A Bit Longer To Set Up But Not Half As Long As Wiring.

With Both Applications You Have To Be Sure To Use A Sufficient Amount Of Product.............

I have a confession to make...I had never glued a corsage in my life, but this thread and another one got my curiosity peaked!!

Last week I ordered my glue. On Monday, when we cleaned out the cooler (weekend cluster buckets), I gave it a shot. I used a mix of full size and spray roses, and just about every type of filler we had (just to test the varieties). It isn't the prettiest corsage I have ever made, but I wanted to test everything.

YOU HAVE MADE A BELIEVER OUT OF ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe how easy it was! I have been beating the poor thing to hell all day and nothing has fallen off!

This one turned out great because it was a wristlet and I glued everything to the wrist band. How do you do a pin on corsage...or even a boutonnierre?

I guess you learn something new everyday?!?!

Reactions: 2 people
How do you do a pin on corsage...or even a boutonnierre?

I guess you learn something new everyday?!?!

Amy,

I don't glue bouts but, I do use wire which is SOOOOO much easier than wiring and taping. I just gather up the focal, accent, filler and add ons arrange them how they look best and then start wrapping the stem from top to bottom with wire. It literally takes one minute. So simple and it looks great! I do the same exact thing with pin on corsages but, I add some ribbon.

Reactions: 1 person
After reading through these posts.....It's time for me to add my two cents worth.

The major advantage of glueing your corsages over wire and tape is two-fold. One is time and labor spent. The other advantage is security and weight.

The best and the fastest way to use the cold glue. Begin with your pre-made corsage base......ribbon, tulle, satin leaves, or whatever you make your base with.

Using either the Oasis adhesive in the tube or the can....pour or squeeze about a quarter sized dollop onto a small card. Dip the end of the flower in the glue, Lay the bloom aside for about 30 seconds......about the length of time to dip one or two more flowers, by this time the first flower's glue has become tacky enough to stick to the surface you are glueing onto. After you have the flower positioned where you want it to be....gently and repeated lift up the flower slightly and push the flower back down gently a few times. This slight up and down motion creates elasticity in the glue between the flower and the surface. This helps to hold the flower into place more securely.

If you use Crowning Glory, DO not dip or submerge your flower in the crowning glory and then try to glue. The crowning glory forms a coating on the flower that PREVENTS the glur from adhering. The flowers WILL fall off.
Make the corsage first,then spray mist the entire corsage with your crowning glory.

pan glue/floral contact glue

We do a combination, since we don't like to wait, doing as many as we have to. I use the cold glue (pouring it into the screw top of a pop bottle, cleaned out) on large flowers, such as roses, and then use the pan glue for the little accent blossoms, such as stephanotis, delp, etc. etc. Best of both worlds.

The difficulty and uncertainty with pan-melt glue occurs when you place the glued materials into your floral cooler. Pan-melt glue contracts when exposed to cool/cold temperatures and then expands when exposed again to room temperature or warmer temps.......this breaks the bond and sometimes flowers will fall off.

Additionally, The heat from the pan glue does cause damage to the flower tissues and on a more delicate blossom, damaged tissue can be seen quite clearly.

The real key to using the cold glue and doing the corsage quickly within the minimum amount of time is to be well prepared. Have your ribbon and corsage bases ready. If there are accessories such as pearls, beadings, rhinestones, other jewel bauble accents, etc. Glue those in with the pan glue ahead of time leaving just the fresh flowers to go in.

Amy, the world is your oyster with the glue. Do a fair amount of buttonholes/bouts where you use a leaf, whole or cut into shape(s) and glue whatever you like onto it, for corsages too. We seldom use ribbon here , maybe a very a very simple looking bow, just not a popular trend here at all, but ribbon is just as easy to glue in or onto as a premade base which is a great suggestion mentioned already.

If you glue magnets to the back they are easily worn and very light. For a recent wedding our magnets went awol and so I cut a piece of rose stem, just shorter than the length of the leaf, wrapped in tape and glued that to back of the leaf, then they had to be pinned on. The 4 and 6 year old boys (used safety pins for them) could not destroy them.

Also done jewelry, ie: pendants for necklaces with bits and bobs of floral stuff glued in, tiny heads of succulents are fun for this as are rosebuds, berries etc.

Attachments

• IMG_1540.jpg
    IMG_1540.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1885.jpg
    IMG_1885.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 49
How do you do a pin on corsage...or even a boutonnierre?

Having been a avid believer in the glued wrist corsage technique since the early days of Oasis Floral Adhesive, I finally built up enough courage to make my shoulder corsages (and a few boutonierres & pocket squares when possible) exclusively by gluing. I hopefully will never have to wire & tape again!

Due to a sudden onset of carpel tunnel during my pregnancy last year I had to give it a try. I create a beautiful bow & glue a silk rose leaf to the back. This becomes my base, just like the wristlet. The pins are inserted through this base with ease. And, the shoulder corsage is sooo light weight!!!

Franca,

Those are beautiful...

corsage magnets

Franca, lovely work, thanks for posting.

I haven't tried the corsage magnets, but have been tempted. What happened to the magnets?

I love the cold glue. Several years ago, I purchased Leanne's corsage video and followed the directions on the Oasis glue tube and never had any trouble. I wore one for a day, and threw it against the wall, as Leanne suggested in her video. I had my dog wear one too, just to see how it held up, made me a believer.

Love love LOVE corsage magnets. Unless there was a pacemaker involved I always recommended the magnets. Why poke holes in all those lovely and pricey fabrics?

V

Thanks Theresa, just meant they went walkies when we needed them and so we had to improvise, we found them last weekend after our MD clean.

I love that you tried them on your dog, I think we can make some exceptions to the "no animal testing involved" rule :cat:

Victoria, I wonder about the pacemaker situation too, never had anyone with a pacemaker wear them, our magnets don't say anything about it, no instructions, do yours there?

Watching this thread with interest,as i still wire and tape corsages, but do use cold clue for wristlkets and bag sprays. Can i just ask what you all mean by 'pan glue'? maybe we call it something different here?:dunno:

Hi Franca... yes ours do come with a warning. I would always ask if anyone had a pacemaker before selling the magnet. Everyone loved them when I used them.

:) I love the No Animal Testing exemption rule. Thanks for making me grin.

V

Goodie, I don't recall the pans in the UK, at least not the shop I was in, only had glue-guns, but they are much like an electric frying pan, plug it in and put the glue in which look like small pillows and melt down, then you dip in or use a stick or something to get the glue out, don't have visual sorry.

Victoria, you are so right about magnets being preferred on some of the interesting $ fabrics these days, that is where wrist corsages are so perfect too, great to have more choice for people.

corsage gluing

I have a great tip to offer....I take a chenille stem, wind it until it looks like a scroll, hot glue it onto a wristlet base and then pan glue the flowers to the chenille. It works wonderfully and never had an issue with flowers falling off. Try it...you'll see. I cut my labor on wristlets by half.

I have 1 more stupid question...are the magnets strong enough to use on a tuxedo? That has always been my fear, that some one would hug the groom and his boutonnierre would fall off.

They are more than strong enough. It used to drive me nuts because the magnets would pick up wires from fifty paces. :)

V

Status
Not open for further replies.