Crowning Glory - does it really work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorinajac

Jul 17, 2007
Toronto
State / Prov
ontario
I heard it's the best product out there in terms of keeping the flowers fresh and alive for a long time.

What are your experiences with Crowning Glory?

Yes.

Imagine taking Elmers Glue, diluting it by 75 pct, you will get Crowning Glory

All you are doing is spraying glue (plastic, can't think of a better description) over the flowers AND sealing in the moisture.

You in essence have ceased the transpiration process.

Joe

Very little transpiration takes place in the blooms of most flowers, so sealing the bloom probably doesn't do much good in most flowers. Also, Crowning Glory often leaves the flowers looking shiny and unnatural.

I agree RC. I bought a bottle of it after watching a couple JTV episodes and I was not impressed at all. The flowers ended up looking shiny and it actually left a plastic "film" on a bunch of peonies that I had sprayed it on. That was NOT good.

I use Hawaiian Floral Mist on everything with wonderful results.

I agree RC. I bought a bottle of it after watching a couple JTV episodes and I was not impressed at all. The flowers ended up looking shiny and it actually left a plastic "film" on a bunch of peonies that I had sprayed it on. That was NOT good.

I use Hawaiian Floral Mist on everything with wonderful results.

Psssssssss...............

dilute it more! :confused:

I'm going to be the odd one and say that I love it and wouldn't be without it. I go half and half with water and mist every fresh flower and leaf that goes out of my shop. When I'm out of it, I feel like I'm not giving my customers full value because I really think it makes them last longer. It doesn't affect the fragrance of flowers such as stock. Once it's dry, I really haven't noticed the glazing effect. Occasionally on a dark red rose you will notice something, but it's important to completely cover fronts and backs of each flower or you may get a spotty effect. Is it the same as putting elmer's glue on the flowers? Maybe. But I do have at least one customer a week that lets me know my flowers always last longer than the competition's. It even helped perk up some yellow rose bouts that were looking like they were going to wilt the morning after I made them. After a couple hours they looked like new again and the bride said they held up fine.

I too love it. Never had an issue or complaint with it. As long as the customer is happy, then I'm happy.

V

I will say I have mixed reviews on it. I recently started using it again and find that on some flowers I love it on others I dont. Hydrangeas and wilt happy flowers it is wonderful for. I do not find that I like it on roses, peonies, any tropicals, anything dark in color(purple, burgundy) because of the plastic shine look. It works wonderfully on freesia, hydrangea, light colored stock, steph, gerberas, delph, scabiosa, poms. I do not find that flowers really need this. I have never had problems with things not lasting without it, but figured I would try it out again for a competative edge.

Does it show up in pics? If it does can somebody take a before and after pic? I've been busting the boss' chops (Mom) to get some but she says it gives flowers a "foggy" and "plasticy" (sp?) look and she has "banned" it from the shop. Until today I had only heard good things about it, so i'm happy to hear the cons... although I might have to admit that the Mother is right AGAIN!

YEA I KNOW!!!! what a mess. huh? :)

Heather, I just couldnt resist.............................

Joe

Lol, I really wanted to love it. On paper it seems like a great product. I just couldn't get over the "haze" that it left on everything including vases, counter tops and the floor :pblush:. The over spray was a nightmare and just imagine me, sitting on the floor, picking the plastic "film" off of my wedding bouquet. That was the last time I used the stuff :p

We use Floralife Finishing Spray, it is great, no residue at all. Nothing goes out of this shop without it! In fact I have a sign out in the design area that says in big black letters, "Stinky & Spray" to remind designers to do both before an arrangement goes out. Now what is "stinky" you might ask? Take a guess !!!!:confused:

Julz

Just a point of clarification.

First I hope I didn't offend anyone with my early comments.

I was just having a little fun last night.

Crowning Glory is OK, but I like some of the newer stuff better. Hawaian Mist? or FloralMist, or some such name, seems to be a bit lighter.

Joe

regarding Crowning Glory - It is a great product. However - there are slight disadvantages:

On some flowers, it does leave a "sheen". The older white Crowining Glory more so than the newer clear version. However, I have marketed this effect successfully by telling my client/ customer that I can 'pearlize" the flower. Before the clear CG came on the market - I sold more "pearlized" red roses than anyone else in the shop.

For prom flowers - Kids in our area love spray roses and dendros for wrist corsages - almost twice as much as any other flower - with spray roses being the top requested flower. Crowning Glory really helps there in keeping the corsage fresh through out the prom. however, it works best if you apply it as a finishing spray AFTER the corsage is made. If you dip the bloom into the CG before....sometimes the coating prevents Oasis Adhesive from adhering.

With the exception of tropicals and other long-vase-life flowers ( alstroemeria, carnations, pompons, etc. ) I spray a finish of CG clear on each arrangement that comes off my worktable - My customer satisfaction in the lasting quality of the arrangement makes Crowning glory a bigger advantage than a dis-advantage.

We uses CG on everything except red roses. We constantly receive comments about how long-lasting our flowers are, and we attribute that, in part at least, to CG.

Rick, "pearlized"! LOL Love it!

Just a point of clarification.

First I hope I didn't offend anyone with my early comments.

I was just having a little fun last night.

Crowning Glory is OK, but I like some of the newer stuff better. Hawaian Mist? or FloralMist, or some such name, seems to be a bit lighter.

Joe

Floral Mist is now our hands down favourite....does NOT leave a "pearlized" sheen, is very light, is very competitively priced, and is very consistent

Status
Not open for further replies.