Designer Productivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
My designers "Clock in" and "Clock out" on each order...

Stats are run monthly, showing how many orders are filled, time total, average, dollar amounts etc... do the same thing for phone sales...

Things you need to keep in mind is the number of pieces, because I can do a 300.00 casket spray in the time it takes another to do 3 30.00 arrs...

BOSS said:

Stats are run monthly, showing how many orders are filled, time total, average, dollar amounts etc... do the same thing for phone sales...

Things you need to keep in mind is the number of pieces, because I can do a 300.00 casket spray in the time it takes another to do 3 30.00 arrs...
BOSS- While our designer does not clock in and out, they do keep a list of arrangements done that day with values, divide it out with the total hours worked (has an adjustment section for wedding consult, cleaning cooler, etc).
Does MASS have a built in productivity report?
Just curious, do you consider the 3 30.00 arrangements or $300 casket spray to be done in an hour as a bench mark or what? Wonder what other florist's designer "benchmarks" are.

clay said:
Just curious, do you consider the 3 30.00 arrangements or $300 casket spray to be done in an hour as a bench mark or what? Wonder what other florist's designer "benchmarks" are.

Actually I can do the spray in a half hour.... but then again I have been doing them for 30+ years...

My benchmark is profit on time worked, my designers are charged with making profit on their labor and thats the benchmark I use to justify raises or not....

MAS has several levels of productivity reports. We aren't large enough to need them for designers, but it has PR's for all departments, sales, even maintenance (?).
I love seeing the drivers read how much time they have for each run (controllable via user interface with stuff like mph, mph during peak rush hour, bad weather adjustments, time per stop, etc)
then they head right for the door!
(I'm the only one that can consistently beat the clock. That's cuz I'm the best flower delivery person in the state)

bloomz said:
(I'm the only one that can consistently beat the clock. That's cuz I'm the best flower delivery person in the state)

Or is it because you can control the clock :)

BOSS said:

A designer can only be as productive as the number and type of orders he/she is given in a day. You are going to pay them the same at the end of the day, whether they complete 5 arrangements or 50.
Using your example above, let's say you give one designer 5 $300 casket sprays to do in a day and another you give 15 $30 arrangements.
Which one would your software tell you is the more productive designer?

bloomz said:
MAS has several levels of productivity reports. We aren't large enough to need them for designers, but it has PR's for all departments, sales, even maintenance (?).
I love seeing the drivers read how much time they have for each run (controllable via user interface with stuff like mph, mph during peak rush hour, bad weather adjustments, time per stop, etc)
then they head right for the door!
Are you saying that your drivers go out the door knowing that they have to be back by a certain time or it would look "bad" on their record?
Aren't you afraid that may lead to unsafe driving?
The pizza outfits stopped guaranteeing delivery within a certain period of time because their drivers were getting into too many accidents tryin to make the delivery in the alloted time.

Me too!!

bloomz said:
Why is it that I feel the same way? I bet most of us would agree, if we had just a few more of each of us we would be gizillionairs!!!!

George Simon said:
Are you saying that your drivers go out the door knowing that they have to be back by a certain time or it would look "bad" on their record?
Aren't you afraid that may lead to unsafe driving?
The pizza outfits stopped guaranteeing delivery within a certain period of time because their drivers were getting into too many accidents tryin to make the delivery in the alloted time.
George its more from a managerial standpoint to know approx how long a trip will take , for planning next trip. However it puts the drivers on notice knowing the owner/dispatcher knows an approx time for return. This is no 30 min or free act, come on... MAS delivers quality,style and service !!! SECOND TO NONE !!!

George Simon said:
A designer can only be as productive as the number and type of orders he/she is given in a day. You are going to pay them the same at the end of the day, whether they complete 5 arrangements or 50.
Using your example above, let's say you give one designer 5 $300 casket sprays to do in a day and another you give 15 $30 arrangements.
Which one would your software tell you is the more productive designer?

First of all, no, I am not going to pay them the same at the EOD... beginners don;t do casket sprays...

As to which is more productive, the software using your numbers tells me that the designer that did the 15 $30.00 arrs averaged $56.25/hour (total) while the designer that did the 5 $300.00 casket sprays averaged $187.50/hour...

You tell me, which one was more productive??

And keep in mind COGS are tracked as well, stems used, container, etc.

BOSS said:
First of all, no, I am not going to pay them the same at the EOD... beginners don;t do casket sprays...

As to which is more productive, the software using your numbers tells me that the designer that did the 15 $30.00 arrs averaged $56.25/hour (total) while the designer that did the 5 $300.00 casket sprays averaged $187.50/hour...

You tell me, which one was more productive??

And keep in mind COGS are tracked as well, stems used, container, etc.
Well, say that both designers are equally experienced and that they make the same amount of money.
You are saying that the most productive designer is the one that gets to make the casket sprays because they are more profitable. However, the one making the 15 arrangements may be working harder for you.

gr8vet said:
This is no 30 min or free act, come on... MAS delivers quality,style and service !!! SECOND TO NONE !!!
Well, there may be some around here (not me) that might disagree with you. ;)

George Simon said:
Well, say that both designers are equally experienced and that they make the same amount of money.
You are saying that the most productive designer is the one that gets to make the casket sprays because they are more profitable. However, the one making the 15 arrangements may be working harder for you.

In that case, with my staff, the 5 casket sprays would be done in 3.5 hours at the out side...the 15 arrs would be about an hour and a half (maybe) if they are in vases, an hour for sure. Taking into account only using 2 designers.

As to the more productive one doing them because they are more profitable...no, that comes with ability and experience, has nothing to do with how hard they work...we ALL bust ass around here to make it happen...

If they are "equals" as you suggest, then each would do two, I would do one, and we would knock out the 15 30's in 45 minutes...it's all about RIO, I invest in their skills, and they return an equal profit based on speed, experience and skill.

George, keep in mind IMHO casket sprays are easier and faster...the same things happen, container, foam, greens and stems, ribbon (yuk)...usualy stems are used "whole" thus less time spent seperating them...

I'm just posting hypothetical examples BOSS, not specific to your shop.
I'm trying to determine what logic a program would use to calculate the productivity of a designer when such productivity is affected by so many variables outside of the designer's control. Same for the drivers and clerks.

If you are going to say that the designer with the highest Dollar total in a day is the most productive one, that is not always going to be true. Making 50 $40 arrangements takes about the same time as making 50 $75 arrangements, yet the program would show one designer being almost twice as productive as the other one.

I think you have to look at how much money you make on each arrangement and base productivity on the average profit on the arrangements.
You can have one designer out-producing another Dollar-wise, but he or she might have a tendency to use more flowers than necessary, thus reducing your profit on the arangement.
So in the example above, the designer making the 50 $75 arrangements make make you a profit of only $15 per arrangement while the other one might make you $10 per arrangement.
One will make you a $750 profit per day and the other one only $500. However, the one making you a $500 profit is making you a 25% profit per arrangement while the other one is only making you a 20% profit. So now which one is the more productive one?

Industry standard suggests 10 x hourly salary x hours worked per day.
Example: 10 x $15.00 per hour x 8 hour day = $1200 minimum floral work designed for the day. You can use your own figures to quickly see how your designers are doing compared to industry figures. I use the same figures for sales staff also. If I staff store with three employees (designers & sales)
I would total their per hour wage x 10 x hours store open.
Example: $9 + $10 + $14 = $33 x 10 = $330 sales & designing x 9 hours =
$2970. That is what I expect the min. for that store on one day, sales + design work. You may want to apply this to a weeks total sales + designing
for an average. We all know some days are slow and maybe one day a week you are running extra hard the whole day. So the average might give a better picture.

I agree. Thank you for the information. This is exactly what I was looking for.
So you are calculating the productivity of the entire store not just of individuals.
Still, it is dependant on who is making the expensive arrangements vs the normal ones. How do we take the price of flowers out the equation?

Status
Not open for further replies.