Did you suspend your Mercury or Dove?

Did you suspend your Mercury or Dove this last week?

• Yes

Votes: 42 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 84 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1-800 orders obvious, but what about headquarter orders? Where are they generated from? Thanks for the idea of calling to block certain shops or or OG, good idea, but if Teleflora sends it from headquarters hard to tell!???!

...I guess that red dot ?you? just gave me was my windshield hitting your bug, Mr/Mrs anonymous.:jester

No wonder the lurkers lay low.
Ya know, this really cheeses me off. I gave you a green dot to counter-balance it.

It was juvenile, anonymous slams of posters/members that helped kill the first discussion board for florists. Would the person/people doing it please just head over there and spare us chicken insults?

FC members have been mocked elsewhere for being polite to each other. While FC has shown exponential growth, we can all witness what the lack of professionalism and accountability has done to the other one.

We debate. We discuss. We don't always agree and that's OK. But don't stifle discussion by anonymously intimidating posters with negative reps dots.

(Please note: This is my opinion only and I in no way speak for the admin team.)

Reactions: 2 people
Ya know, this really cheeses me off. I gave you a green dot to counter-balance it.

It was juvenile, anonymous slams of posters/members that helped kill the first discussion board for florists. Would the person/people doing it please just head over there and spare us chicken insults?

FC members have been mocked elsewhere for being polite to each other. While FC has shown exponential growth, we can all witness what the lack of professionalism and accountability has done to the other one.

We debate. We discuss. We don't always agree and that's OK. But don't stifle discussion by anonymously intimidating posters with negative reps dots.

(Please note: This is my opinion only and I in no way speak for the admin team.)

...Thanks Cathy and thanks to all who have bumped my greens up. I am not the shy one but it does take a little ego to go toe to toe w/ some of these participants.

The best way to get involved is to, Just Do It! The free flow of discussion is the way we all learn how to be better florists and people!

Boy, what a dream...
if they stopped paying sending rebates, OG's would just skim more off the orders.

As we don't have dove , they have to call us , we ask which shop is the order originating from , stock answer from Hq is that it is none of our business , so we never fill anything from them , thats our stock answer. Also be noted that teleflora has a dove symbol next to every member , which allows them to skim any orders sent via the dove , to members without the dove.

Very early in this thread, I answered honestly, that Yes, we had to suspend our dove at 10 am on Saturday. I hated doing it & had not ever done it in over 5 years. why this year???

Because (and this is somewhat long).
1. I can only fill so much stuff. I know what my capacity is, and what can be done, and what will lead to disappointment. I would rather shut off the XX** machine, and turn off the crapola that we were getting than have to spend time, effort & product -- only to pick it up on Monday, and give credit back.

2. The orders coming to us beginning on Saturday morning were 100% from From You flowers and Flowers sent Today. Third in the running was TF HQ. ALL of these senders were sending orders that had bounced thru at least 4 other shops before they reached me, and all were for low dollar (below our min order of $30.00 + $8.95 dleivery).
All were for specific product selections, which took time to look up & determine whether or not we were able to fill or not fill. In 99% of the cases, we couldn't fill it as shown at the $$$$ given to us.

My time was being wasted with horse puckey garbarge & I had to put a stop to it!

I manage our local delivery co-op in Pittsburgh. My day started with the co-op at 5:30 am.....In addition to dealing with the drivers & helpers from 42 area shops and thousands of orders headed out, & managing my own shop's design room and drivers, and designing,
We also had 3 weddings, our own Mothers Day deliveries, then you can add in 1 & 1/2+ (don't ask!!) funerals to deal with -- all before 2 pm on Saturday.
(I was pulling stuff out of thin air so fast that my wrappers & assistants couldn't keep up.

I chose to be honest in this poll....... I would rather shut the machine down, and take the calls from the real florists who need a HMD order filled -- than deal with the nonsense of the bottom feeders. Life is too short, and I have too many grey hairs already.

Also, you should know that customers now think that flowers pop out of their computer, when they hit the "send" key after processing an on-line order. I had more than one consumer tell me that "I wasn't connected properly. They would just google FTD/1-800 and when they entered their order, and hit the send button, FTD/1-800 would pop the flowers out to their receipients!!" ((The Chia pet commercials keep running thru my head)............

My Humble Opinion is that we need to do a much better job of POSITIVE EDUCATION OF THE CONSUMER About where things come from, where they are grown, how they are made, and how do they get to their loved ones. There seems to be a complete disconnect of common sense these days.

So, in closing, sometimes you just reach capacity....mentally, physically, and product wise that you must make prudent choices that enable you to do an Outstanding job on orders that you have already taken and committed to. I would rather deliver what I have already promised that take more & hope that I can get it made and delivered.

Regards to all,
Cheryl

PS..I don't consider my shop to be small. We just run a lean machine

I told Tel to block from you flowers. Since I did this I have not gotten one order.

Ahhh but that's too easy and reasonable David. :yourock:

I did the same with 800 flowers about 10 years ago - simply told them I didn't want their orders and I've never had another. In 10 years

Try it, you make just like it. Course you won't have so much to biitch about up in here, but trust me - you can find new stuff.

FWIW - I think I remember with the Dove that blocking will lstop orders autoforwarding to you but they sender could still directly choose you and it would go to you - perhaps that's changed.....

You know, I know many will dispute this, but even the very big senders don't want orders going awry.

We're medium senders and we take every order as important as if it were going to our own Mother. If it can't get filled I want to know asap.

Reactions: 1 person
So a recurring theme in this discussion, in poart is that folks shut off the boxes to stop orders form OG's with unreasonable requests.

So I ask...why fill for them at all...EVER?

And why not just block them thru headquarters?

So a recurring theme in this discussion, in poart is that folks shut off the boxes to stop orders form OG's with unreasonable requests.

"To fill in the gaps when we're not busy, and to keep the designers working."

Not my words, words of a fellow florist who fills for 800.
I am trying to convince him that he is losing money, but he - like me - has a stubborn father, and we take very strongly after our Dads.

One of these days...

- H.

PS- I just heard of a garden center flower shop that got slammed by 800 on Sunday with a ton of orders. Hmmm...the owners are paying her O/T on Sunday, 30% discounted orders, high-price flowers... how much did they make???

"To fill in the gaps when we're not busy, and to keep the designers working."
Wanna argue this one...really? Or should I come over and help ya'll figure out how to staff? I tend to send folks home though...they may not like that...

No way you can make money on a couple $45.00 orders at 2 in the afternoon in June, when you have a designer, a driver and a clerk or two in da building, just waiting for orders...

SUSPEND ON! or Reject if you wish ;)

Cathy,
I think it's funny that you said "cheeses me off" that's a cute way of saying, well you know, I think I will start saying "cheeses me off" :)

Clint said it best

So, in closing, sometimes you just reach capacity....mentally, physically, and product wise that you must make prudent choices that enable you to do an Outstanding job on orders that you have already taken and committed to. I would rather deliver what I have already promised that take more & hope that I can get it made and delivered.

Well said Cheryl! We also had to suspend Merc on Saturday then we unsuspended on Sunday when we were able to re-assess the situation. We always try not to (and some years we do not) but as Cheryl so eloquently said, "sometimes you just reach capacity."

"A man's got to know his limitations." - Harry Callahan / Magnum Force

Some do some dont

Slow or no slow, I DO NOT FILL ANY OF THOSE ORDERS ANYWHERE IN ELLIOT LAKE. Not FTD, Not TF Headquarters, Not 1-800 and not FLowers by Sears etc.

This way I have less problems less headaches.
AND if everyone did this for a short period of time.....The game would change in our favor.

Luc

Wanna argue this one...really? Or should I come over and help ya'll figure out how to staff? I tend to send folks home though...they may not like that...

No way you can make money on a couple $45.00 orders at 2 in the afternoon in June, when you have a designer, a driver and a clerk or two in da building, just waiting for orders...

SUSPEND ON! or Reject if you wish ;)

Simply said Mark.................:yourock::yourock::yourock::yourock:

Let's face facts, folks.....
Pf & 1-800 have HUGE advertising $$$$ that they are spending every day, 365/24/7 to get the consumer to part with their money.

That is why the Consumer knows them by name, and asks for & searches for them by name.

You and I used to rely on FTD/TF to do all our direct mail/consumer solicitation and advertising. FTD has changed forever... and markets more of THEIR own .com services & products than those of the florists anymore.

TF "claims" to be florist centered, and did pour lots of $$$$ into their Mother's Day promotion. (I'm withholding judgment here, I think there is a fox in the henhouse).

I do not know of any real, hardworking Brick & Mortar florist that today can put forth the $$$$ into the print ads/ online $$ spent that the "big Guys" spend. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

NOW, We can call whine & moan & complain & wring our hands.......

Or....we each can do something about it.

The Flowersmith did something via her postcards. (YEA, SUE!!!!).
We also did something via our direct mail brochure. Some others also did direct mail and or emails. (We did those also). We also made sure that our websitre offerings and our brochure were consistent with each other.

HOW MUCH ADVERTISING DID YOUR STORE DO TO BRING IN 100% DIRECT ORDERS???? Reaserch tell me that you should be spending at least 5% of your annual gross sales on advertising?

We all need to get better, and be more consistent in our advertising and our message to the CONSUMER.

If the consumer gets the message, the online orders for OGs will slow.....and thus the incoming wire orders from OG will slow .... and may slow enough to stop (I'm the eternal optomist). Then there will be no reason for any of us to turn off our machines........

My message is simple...... Set a budget for advertising. I try to promote my store each & every day in every way that I can & stay within my budget. It doesn't cost a lot sometimes....sometimes it just takes time and and a printer. Even a smal store can afford flyers/mailers once a month.

Take one positive step today to improving your business bottom line.

Regards,
Cheryl
:)

Wisdom

Let's face facts, folks.....
Pf & 1-800 have HUGE advertising $$$$ that they are spending every day, 365/24/7 to get the consumer to part with their money.

That is why the Consumer knows them by name, and asks for & searches for them by name.

You and I used to rely on FTD/TF to do all our direct mail/consumer solicitation and advertising. FTD has changed forever... and markets more of THEIR own .com services & products than those of the florists anymore.

TF "claims" to be florist centered, and did pour lots of $$$$ into their Mother's Day promotion. (I'm withholding judgment here, I think there is a fox in the henhouse).

I do not know of any real, hardworking Brick & Mortar florist that today can put forth the $$$$ into the print ads/ online $$ spent that the "big Guys" spend. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

NOW, We can call whine & moan & complain & wring our hands.......

Or....we each can do something about it.

The Flowersmith did something via her postcards. (YEA, SUE!!!!).
We also did something via our direct mail brochure. Some others also did direct mail and or emails. (We did those also). We also made sure that our websitre offerings and our brochure were consistent with each other.

HOW MUCH ADVERTISING DID YOUR STORE DO TO BRING IN 100% DIRECT ORDERS???? Reaserch tell me that you should be spending at least 5% of your annual gross sales on advertising?

We all need to get better, and be more consistent in our advertising and our message to the CONSUMER.

If the consumer gets the message, the online orders for OGs will slow.....and thus the incoming wire orders from OG will slow .... and may slow enough to stop (I'm the eternal optomist). Then there will be no reason for any of us to turn off our machines........

My message is simple...... Set a budget for advertising. I try to promote my store each & every day in every way that I can & stay within my budget. It doesn't cost a lot sometimes....sometimes it just takes time and and a printer. Even a smal store can afford flyers/mailers once a month.

Take one positive step today to improving your business bottom line.

Regards,
Cheryl
:)

Wisdom,............ for those that choose to read and understand what Cheryl has provided here !

Which is why...........BOSS .................is ...............BOSS !

...............and we all learn every day !

Which is why...........BOSS .................is ...............BOSS !

...............and we all learn every day !

SOMEONE had to hold HIS hand at one time though.....
You gotta fight to be good, you gotta be good to be smart, and you gotta have guts to be BOSS!!
For those of you that have yet to met Mark.....his heart is a lion, his touch is a lamb, his wisdom is learned, BUT, cross him, and "kabam"!!

Status
Not open for further replies.