Do customers, who look at your website.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazeal

Mar 27, 2005
Ashland
www.chicfloral.com
State / Prov
Oregon
.... and then order from it, like to order via a shopping cart or talk to a real person?

Orders meaning bouquets for delivery, not weddings or events.

Has anyone had any practical experience with this issue? I had a shopping cart but it seemed everyone wanted to call and talk to a florist instead of ordering via a shopping cart.

I know OGs and FFtF sites mainly take orders via a shopping cart, but for someone who found your local shop to send locally, which do they like.. a shopping cart or calling your toll free number?

:lol

Our website orders run about 30% online, 70% call-ins. More and more customers are ordering that way, and more and more customers are calling asking for our website name. We are, within the last month, receiving 5-6 shopping cart orders per week. That is up from 5-6 per month for the last year, and 5-6 per year (if that many) with our old TF website. That number is steadily increasing.

Connie Baker said:
Our website orders run about 30% online, 70% call-ins.

Seems about the same here... BUT it is hard to judge unless you ask every caller how they found you (new accounts). Some give up the info right away, others do not. And then how many looked at your site days prior to the call and wrote the number down...

Adding a "web code" for a discount might help to sort this out...

We're at about 75% online, 25% call in. We use separate referral codes for call in vs online web customers. We've been steady at that ratio for at least a year.

Ryan

Online percentage

Infinite said:
We're at about 75% online, 25% call in. We use separate referral codes for call in vs online web customers. We've been steady at that ratio for at least a year.

Ryan
We have been online since 1998 but I am amazed of the increase of online activity and orders since 2nd quarter last year. While I do not survey our phone orders, based on the amount of calls that voluteer they saw it on our website, I would say at lease 4 to 1. A previous post on one of the forums regarding this had a florist state closer to 6 to 1.

I'm with Infinite here - 70-30 (online vs phone) here and my feeling is, if it is less than that, you are quite possibly losing orders and should take a look at what you can do to make your web site flow smoother and/or be more compelling and easier to order online. There is a huge faction of consumers who DON'T want to talk to us, cuz a picture speaks a thousand words. Many also (myself included) love ordering online.

I bet 800 and FTD have an even higher online ration than that, since their websites have spent millions to study flow, like Dell and companies like that, one tweak can signicantly improve flow and conversion. Dell actually tests different web modalities against each other in deciding what to do.

We do have marketing codes at end of order we track as for "how did you find our phone number" with MAS.

We are about 30 percent online and 70 on phone after viewing our site. I would say a year ago it 10/90 but the percentage is going up every month as are our hits too. Many people are still afraid to give out their credit card information over the web.

Thanks a lot for sharing this information guys!! I really appiciate it and it causing me to reflect on where I should be heading.

*wink Cathy*

bloomz said:
...you are quite possibly losing orders and should take a look at what you can do to make your web site flow smoother and/or be more compelling and easier to order online...

I have to agree and disagree with bloomz...

Most of the florists in my directory seem to still be getting more calls than orders online...Most of their consumers are out-of-town looking for reassurance as to what they are buying and trying to find a local florist...Yes, more consumers are purchasing online everyday...but the majority are still using the internet as a resource for information and don't trust putting their credit information in the shopping carts...

As to "make your web site flow smoother"...It depends on the eyes of the beholder...no matter how simple you make it...

Take this test...simple instructions...simple action on your part...DID YOU SCORE 100%...
http://www.njagyouth.org/colortest.swf

Cool test :) I got a 100% the second time. I chose the opposite of what the word said, since it is easier to choose the other answer from what the word is than consentrate on the colors.

More than one way to skin cat.

mlou said:
Most of their consumers are out-of-town looking for reassurance as to what they are buying and trying to find a local florist...Yes, more consumers are purchasing online everyday...but the majority are still using the internet as a resource for information and don't trust putting their credit information in the shopping carts...

I agree Mlou. I think consumers feel a confidence when speaking directly with the shop. That way they can know what exactly what is available and specify the details of the message, delivery instructions, etc. Putting these details in a shopping cart seems a bit impersonal to some, especially for funeral orders. Which is perhaps why directory listings see a higher ratio of calls vs online orders. A large portion of Directory generated orders come across state lines and those consumers like to relay their order to an actual person. This is especially the case with consumers who have had a poor experience in the past with placing a floral order. They want to make sure their details are clear.

mlou said:

Yes, I did ...

And I'm with Bloomz, flow is vital. If people are calling it's most likely they haven't found what they need on your site (question unanswered) or they haven't been reassured enough (security/trust). If more call than order online, you're losing orders. No question.

Ryan

PS - We have an added incentive to try and get our customers to order online. If they call after hours, they have to deal with the knuckle-dragging mouth-breathers at FAH.

It seems to me people would rather order over the phone to find out exactly what they are getting, vs seeing a image that seems to never look like what was ordered. But that depends on the individual and which weighs more, connivance or getting exactly what they want.

I think it is funny that the floral industry is the only one that when someone send a gift out of the area when they look at a pic online or in a WS book they are "ok" that is isn't exactly the way it looks. I guess because for years and years there has been an understanding of fine print -will sub if we have to-. Solve this riddle, make the customer 100% happy, put credibility into retail florists online and you will solve my idea. Yeah I heard someone is on my tail and will release something "kind of like my idea" before I do. That's cool, I want retail florists to be king online, whether my idea is used by me or someone else, it's all good. I do have 3 years of work invested on this idea, so I might be ahead of them in some ways.

At epicflowers, 95% of the orders are online, but that is because the market we hit are very web savvy. So who are you marketing to online? Granny panties or TechTv? I'm sure you can decide who orders online and who calls in.

A little clearer

clay said:
We have been online since 1998 but I am amazed of the increase of online activity and orders since 2nd quarter last year. While I do not survey our phone orders, based on the amount of calls that voluteer they saw it on our website, I would say at lease 4 to 1. A previous post on one of the forums regarding this had a florist state closer to 6 to 1.
I should have made it a little clearer, it is 4 call online orders to 1 actually online order. While our shopping cart is as frienldly as any other floral website, I think that some folks in Texas just like to talk to a real floral person instead of ordering via shopping cart.

Yes and No

Infinite said:
Yes, I did ...

And I'm with Bloomz, flow is vital. If people are calling it's most likely they haven't found what they need on your site (question unanswered) or they haven't been reassured enough (security/trust). If more call than order online, you're losing orders. No questiion
Yes flow is important but I have to say no to the other. We are the only website in town that has both Teleflora and FTD arrangement selections, so it would be hard for me to say "haven't found what they need". Not sure if you mean security/trust for the website or the florist.

To me it makes a big difference whether the orders coming in online are for local delivery or for you to turn around and wire out. Our present website as opposed to our old FTD website is heavy on local deliveries like 98 out of 100. Our old FTD website was more like 50/50 or around there.

If you are into trying to get wire outs or depend on them then that's different, you will love all the orders whether local or wired out, but we would rather get the locally delivered orders.

We get many, many more phoned in who are looking at our website than placed through the website. The questions they have are many and various and I don't think they are the kind you can answer on your website all the time.

I order online a lot myself. I order from drugstore.com regularly and I buy next to new books at amazon.com often. These sites provide seemless ordering and when ordering specific (no substitution type) products it's completely unnecessary to phone in your order. In fact, Amazon.com has one click ordering and it's done. Book arrives in a few days, never fails. BUT..........

I also buy my Nike's online. Or rather I look online at their website and then call and place my order with someone who knows what they are talking about and can give me detailed personal help. It's not that my questions are not answered on their website, it's that my questions get a so much more detailed and in-depth answer by the human. I happen to love detail and also the sociable aspect of chatting and kidding with them. When I am spending $150.00 on tennis shoes I need to know exactly what to expect because I really do not want to have to return them. The description is detailed and clear, but I always have tons of questions.

I buy all my clothes online, too. The reason I order them on the phone (once in a while I do order them through their website when I get a coupon code in my email) is because when I am done they always offer me on the spot extra promotions specific to my ordering habits and I ususally say yes to at least one of them and they are very good offers. I wonder how this could work with flowers?

I find the ones that order through the website are mainly businesses who possibly could just be making sure they send "something".

I do in fact try to encourage every person I am taking an order from on the phone to go online right then if possible and view some choices. They get to see what specific prices will get them and they alwasy spend more than the ones who call and want to know what the cheapest blah blah blah is.

A little more than my 2 cents worth.

I don't mean to be condescending but I am going to try again to make a point here.

Many of us say "people would rather talk to a human" and in my experience that faction is less than 30%. Many say "I get 4 phone calls to 1" online type of orders, and assume that is the percentage of consumers that PREFER the telephone, but this means, if I can do some math here, that they should be getting over 2 online to each phone order, that they are losing ...oh hell I can't do math like Griffman can, but try again, if you take 4 on the phone you most likely didn't get the 2X that that you should get, and those other 5 customers who want flowers in your town still bought, but most likely went on to FTD or 800 or someone who has a well studied well flowing compelling website. So Bill help me out, how many orders did you lose to the big boys?
It's SO easy on the web to go to another store, you don't even have to start the engine. And if your orders are only 20% online you lost I think that would be around 50% of the customers you could have had.

So you can't REALLY judge how many people order online from your own experience of how many onlines vs phone orders. (Neither can I really, but I know 70% is attainable cuz I do it) I really bet that 800 and ftd is (guessing now) closer to 90% online, cuz they are better at this than we can hope to be. (How many florists do you know of that had their website rebuilt for $4 million then dumped the whole concept and went back to what they had - yes FTD did this a few years back (remember that black background one they had for a couple weeks a few years ago?)

So again, if you are not getting more online orders than phone orders that is a function of your website, not the customers preferences. People are now quite comfortable using credit cards on the web, why else would ecommerce be growing by the billions? I've seen many websites that are almost a brochure site with clunky online ordering that of course people call in, the faction that is smart enough to look for a local florist. But contrary to popular floristboard flowerchat opinion, I don't REALLY think that is growing that much. I have been VERY easy to find for my city for many years and had a basically functional website for a while now, and I know that, since it gets harder every day to find real local florists anything I can do to make it easier only offsets the toughness of finding local florists, and hopefully keeps them from going to the bigdotcons.

I'm not slighting florist directories like Mlou's (I am a member) but I really do think that even those customers are a very small percentage of internet floral buyers. Only a couple of those directories are even findable. (Mlous being one of the two) (side trip - I got a call today from flowershopnetwork today, they wanted $250 _ I told them it was questionable to me if it was worth $100 but I would give them that for 1 year - they declined. I love these days telling advertisers what I think their product is worth, it's the only way to fly) I've blown enough on internet advertising to know that about 90% of it doesn't work, no matter what they tell you.

Hope I said all that right.
If you're not getting 2 online orders to one phone call or better, you can do better. Somebody else is. Those other people are still buying flowers, just not from you directly. Best of luck with it, it's a huge study with a constantly moving target.
It's taken me about 7 years of staying up every night until midnite to learn what little I know, only to have it all change in a couple months.

Bloomzie,

What is your view on those that want all orders no matter whether wired out or delivered locally as opposed to smaller shops (this is a very large group) that really don't want more wire outs?

I would like to see this part addressed because all the orders you speak of that we are not getting are most likely to be wired out. I say because that's what the OG's are getting of course.

I think the constant visibility of the dotcons in your face type of advertising is what makes so many order from them. Who can afford to advertise like they do? When you (you personally) do the numbers is it more profitable to pay the cost to advertise like the dotcons do and get lots and lots of wire outs as opposed to paying the few local directories for the orders they bring to you. So ROI is what thisis about I guess.

I like the way you think (did I really just say that?) and are not afraid to go against the general consensus of things. You joke about your views sometimes, but many times I do agree with you and think you can see like a consumer rather than the oftentimes limited vision of a flower shop owner.

As far as sounding condescending, not sure who you were referring to, but nothing in your post sounded condescending to me.

Please try to address each question, I would love to hear your answers.

Thanks Bloomzie!

You are right Patty, you can't compete with the big boys $$ wise. I know you asked Bloomz to answer your post, but I hope you don't mind if I comment.

It is my opinion that what needs to happen online is for the retail community to up the anti on what we can offer and what the the OGs, FFtF and WS can not offer. There is no way the floral retail industry will have a true voice online unless the idea is so different, so unusual, so fresh, nothing like it before and gives the small guys (us) the power fo the big guys (them). This idea has to be more than just new and unique, it's got to offer the florists a new way to compete, marketing wise, like the big boys do. It you are not growing, you are dieing. The enigma I am working on now is time and a beautiful 1 year old daughter climbing up in my arms as I type. :)

Can you define a dot con for me please. :) I'm a noob here and would like to know exactly what it is. Is an OG who tells you the truth about what they are doing a dot con?

Blooms makes a lot of good points for being as crazy as he sounds on the phone. ;) j/k JB

Status
Not open for further replies.