Do you pimp out your handles???

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I do bouquets in holders, I usually put a few flowers in the back for just the bride. I once had a bride that loved white daisies but didn't have them in her bouquet because she was told they weren't very bridal (probably her mom) I tried to convince her otherwise but, No. so I filled the back with white daisies, just for her. She loved it !!

Jennifer

Charge a straight fee before labour is added on for all cascades to provide$$ to cover, if they want something more extravagent then we charge more but I agree you need to cover( sometimes it is the little things that make the difference and are notced). green backs with lemon (oasis glue) have done peacock feathers in a mimic tail on the back and covered handle with teal boa cascade was a peacock theme with feathers stephonotis with teal pins instead of white...Every cascade is different and they do get noticed especially by the bridal party and event staff I hope this is what you mean anyway I am glad someone else still likes the cascade Rock On!!!

I have never used a bridie holder and maybe one day I will start, but in the meantime when I do my handheld or wired bouquets they are all finished to the upmost. Not necessarily 'pimping them out' but definately finishing them off with beautiful ribbon and making sure all my work is hidden.
With any work that I do, I look at it this way....its real @@@@ty when you brought this beautiful unique top for $200 and then you see a snag in it....you immediately want to go back and exchange it because its not perfect...thats how I do my work....finish it propertly. People look at things from all angles not just from the top.

Was taught by someone to use the foam padding our roses come wrapped in to make padding around the handle and then wrap with satin, and fru fru, I feel like it actually gives the bride something to hang onto rather than just a thin handle wrapped with only ribbon. If we get extra $$ I enjoy building a custom cover with braids, etc that is one piece and applied to the wrap at the end.

With holders for the round clutch bouquets, most of the brides want the faux stem treatment with the holder and then a ribbon wrap 3/4 way down the handle. The simple ones we charge $5 for that and $10 for the holder, takes like 2 mins to do, we've gotten pretty fast at it.

I saw some pics online of some very unique handle covers done with foliage that I just love, but haven't implemented yet into our portfolio or tried. I saved the pics and can share in email, very unique. There's also a few sites that have the ready made handle covers and posey holders you can dress yourself.

Forgot to add that we cover the white plastic cover with foliage all way around, haven't used armatures, have one or two in stock though.

Hitomi Gilliam has a great way to wrap and provide a cushion on plastic bouquet handles. Take double sided tape ( I like the foam type sold in office supply stores)
apply to the sides of the handle (one way down and back up) Take the foam sheets that come in most dendro or tropical boxes, cut to size and apply to the tape. Then take the double sided tape again, apply over foam and then cover with ribbon. There is enough cushion to allow for pins to be applied or many times she uses, fine wire to weave back and forth, provides a very rich look and feel ,with out a ton of time and expense. The plastic collar can be covered with galax leaves, rose petals, etc.. No plastic to feel or see.

jan

No, I don't like cascades, I LOVE them!!

I do so hope they come back in vogue. I have sold more cascade bouquets this year than any year thanks to my "winning" bouquet and the one in my avatar. That bouquet has been done 3 or 4 times this year, all in different colors.

please floral gods...Bring back the cascade..... lots and lots of cascades!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
I would really like to see some pictures of these handle treatments you are all talking about....

Thanks

"pimp 'em out" is my ghetto way of saying "finish it off"!!!!!!

You can take the girl out of the ghetto.........................

Anyway,

Remember, Durango is "earth muffin central" So I finish a lot of handles with "natural material, I love galax 'cause they are so bendy! I've used Raffia, even green moss,
I really like to use moss! I KNOW I KNOW it's messy..I don't care I like it, and I make it so it's not messy!

I really love Bling. (you know my passion for glitter) 2 weeks ago I got to do an all pink (yeah baby) wedding and for an added bonus, I got to glitter the whole thing.
Well it was pink and brown. I never have ever had a bride tell me to glitter it all up!
That was fun, and she LOVED it!!

When I asked about armatures, I was talking about armatures you'd construct yourself. Do you do 'em??

Hey, have you ever done a what I'm calling a "hip cascade". Maybe there's an actual term for it, I don't know. basicly it's a bouquet so big the bride carries it close to her hip and it cascades in front of her. I made one for a wedding expo and it was very well received.

Don't you worry about your cascades Shannon, they will come back in, probably sooner than you think, styles go in circles with twists here and there. Young brides haven't been around long enough to know cascades exist let alone know what they are, especially since most of the bridal books show only posies, we just have to make them aware there is life beyond.

Somewhere you mentioned cascades on handties, we had 2 this year, more of a teardrop handtie, but never the less not the standard posy, one had orchid whips for long trails, flowers in the cascade part were wired and taped.
Haven't done a bouquet holder in years, in UK we did tons of cascades, which was only few years back, and lots and lots of wired and taped bouquets, lovely and traily, loads of casas and callas, popular.

Imo, handles and backs should always finished, cover all mechanics, the plastic holders feel awful to hold, especially with sweaty palms.
With so many different choices of handle finishes we can create, it may be worth including photos in your portfolio of handle finishes alone, (brides/clients generally don't have the minds eye, they need the visuals) and this is of course a chance to upsell with more luxurious quality (and naturally pricier) ribbons etc.

As for armatures, love them, sell them sometimes but not everyone's cup of tea.
My md wedding was on an armature of weeping willow, just a round woven type base, with a wire base into which I handtied a dome of flowers. Plenty out there that want to be different, only takes a suggestion and a show and tell of 'other' things you are capable of doing. If not for weddings, they are great to use on larger hand-tied bouquets or in corporate work, great upsell, well worth knowing how to do them and have a play with. I also like armatures out of wire, or wire used as bases for all types of things.

Oh, and does anybody do anything else than else other than ribbon wrap?

besides glueing on stems, then ribbon wrapping, we sometimes (actually my branch manager more than me) will decorate the handles with wire or use an accent smaller ribbon to create a diamond pattern or use corsage pins to create a "button" effect on the back of the handle.

To me it seems a bit involved and time consuming, but it does look good.

joe

I'm obsessed with the finishing of the handle. I would never allow a bouquet of mine to show any mecanics.

That being said, I do mostly hand-tied's, and often spend more time on finishing the handle with ribbons, broaches, monograms, and beads, then it actually takes me to construct the bouquet!

I love to bling bouquets handles, it's my favorite part of the whole wedding!

Besides the ideas mentioned here is what I do:

I sometimes use glue and rubber bands to fasten stems around the plastic handle (because the rubber band will constrict as the stems loose moisture). Treatments can then be added.

Cling (sticky clay) and ribbon wrap to conform to the brides hand (learned this from a "J" video).

I like a version of a loose french braid with double face satin wrap with a sheer bow. I put pearl pins if I use them, on the front of the bouquet.

I include a basic finishing price with the bouquet, and make sure the bride knows. I charge more for a custom design.

For the back: Bouquet collars, and satin covers occasionally (depending on style of bouquet and dress). Oasis glue leaves to the back.

Also, I add a ribbon thumb loop to a large bouquet or cascade for stability, and also as a guide on how to hold the bouquet.

Heather,

another great idea from Hitomi Gillam and a bridal show I attended, she suggests making up samples of "pimped-out" bridal bouquet handles by saving old flower stems and bundling them.

She them decorated them as if they were handles of bouquets. She used colored sisal, wire, gemstones, pearl and gemmed pin heads etc.
She then suggest displaying them in your bridal consultation area on a silver platter or tray, for a wonderful presentation.

Present the handle treatment after selling the bouquet, and up-sell on the handle treatment. Some of the treatments represent $75 to $100 add-ons.

A great idea, if I ever heard one.

If you ever get a chance, I highly recommmend seeing any of Hitomi's demonstrations.:bouquet2::flower::flowers:

I'm totally a Hitomi groupie.....

I CANNOT wait to take her class next month in OKC...
Then she'll be in ABQ in AUG. I begged to be her assistant, someone was already picked. Bummer.

Most of my bouquets are hand tied too but when I do use a holder I make my own covers which look like they are hand tied and are easy to make.
I wanted to attach a picture with instructions for you.I am fairly new to flowerchat and this is the first time I have answered a post. I don't have a picture on my website and I can't figure out how to attach another picture here so I will try the email option and see if I can attach pictures there.
Dianne

plastic handles

we always do pseudo hand-ties with these........
saved rose or other good stems...
attached with floral clay and wired or tightly rubberbanded. then proceed as with a handtie...
please NO RIBBON ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM....reminds me of a prosthetic....
galax leaves glued to the cone work great....new holders have openings all the way down to the handle...
price quoted includes all these finishes.....

Status
Not open for further replies.