Not open for further replies.

Theresa

Aug 30, 2006
Amanda
www.bloomingflowers.net
State / Prov
OH
dog flower.jpg

Here is a picture someone sent me...we call them dog flowers. Very cute.

http://bloomingflowers.net/openwebm...ttachment_nodeid=0-1&convfrom=none.iso-8859-1

The photo of those dog flowers are all over the web and people love them.

For us moldy-oldy types, arrangements shaped like dogs generate rolling eyeballs since we remember when the novelty stuff was popular more than 20 years ago. I am told that Morri Molho, FTD America's Cup Winner in the 60's, did a poodle as one of his entries - and that's what helped put him over the top. :>

Have you noticed the resurgence of novelty floral designs? Isn't that what the 1800flowers.com's margaritas are?
We've actually had requests for some flower dogs lately and I've put a few images in our FC gallery. (Please, no one make me give back my AIFD pin.)

Hydrangea Poodle (for a 50's party), White Puppy and Purple Puppy.

The photo in the opening post is from Asia and uses a variety of mum not usually found in the US. They used doll's eyes and nose.

I say - get over the novelty thing and make some fun stuff.

C'mon Gary, I want to see your faaaaabulous poodle added to the gallery.

Anyone remember making lambs or Easter bunnies for Easter?

Cathy, you are correct, the industry is seeing a resurgence in this type of thing.

What goes around... comes around.

You know in the broad scheme of things..... if our flowers makes someone smile, then we did our job!

Joe

Easter chicks and bunnies

We never stopped making the Easter chicks and bunnies. We don't advertise them, but we have the same customer who calls every Easter to order several of them.

Ok, I'm a newbie... I haven't seen this before! How cute!!! I'm going to make one for my cooler tomorrow. Can someone post a picture of an Easter chick and bunny....pleeeeze!!

--Iggy

Bunnies and chicks

Guess I'll have to post photos when Easter rolls around.

We do them in a low round container. Do a mound of pomps (white for bunnies, yellow for chicks.) The head is a large football mum. We fashion ears from pink pipe stems for the bunnies and add a pink carnation tail. Eyes and whiskers are from the craft shop. The chicks are similar, with yellow feathers added in spots, with bills made of cutting ribbon in a "V" and hats and eyes from the craft shop.

Oh my - I'm going to have to take some pictures. We make ladybugs from red carnations, bunnies from white carnations, and butterflies from fun novelty carns. We sell these at dance recitals and school plays. I'll post some pics tomorrow. If you do recital flowers, parents will love them. And they'll pay pretty well too.

I sure would love to see the chicks, and what everyone does for bunnies!

tracy

Are there any instructions for these critters? I love them.
Sharon

Photo of our bunnies and chicks

We have one person who orders these every year. We don't dare post them to our website, because we hate making them. (They take a while, with so many insertions into the oasis.)

Attachments

• bunny and chick small.jpg
    bunny and chick small.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 174
Those are sooooo cute! What is the chick's bill made with?

Would they be quicker to make if you were producing multiples? Gotta tell ya, I think there's a decent market for novelties and they're something really only available through local florists.

My guess is that COGS would be under $10 for each. If you don't mind me asking, what would you need to charge for them to make them worth your time? (I always find my attitude changes about making something when I know it's popular and profitable. ;) )

Thanks for sharing. :)

Bunnies

I did a design class week at an assisted living facility and the ladies loved them..they each made one.. i heard after the class. some of the ladies went to the "gym" and were telling each other, Stay away from my bunny, Dont hurt my bunny. lol.. gotta love it.
2 ladies came in at the end of the week and wanted silk foot ball mums to make it permanent..made it worth while.:)

The chick's bill is a pre-made plastic bill from the craft store.

Jim has the arrangements marked only at $34. We keep telling him he's not charging enough, due to the time it takes to make them.

Novelty Animal Flower Designs

I hate to say it but I love these horrid things. I am compiling a photo collection for our school library. If anyone has photos, please do post them or send them my way.

Also, any hints, tips, recipes that you would like to share? I am collecting them.

Thanks much,
Leanne
Floral Design Institute

Status
Not open for further replies.