Status
Not open for further replies.

mlou

Nov 27, 2003
Houston
ilocalflorist.com
State / Prov
Texas
Congratulations to Eric...He has been listening to CHR and I preach about marketing your shop on the internet.

He started his blog about two weeks ago...
Today his blog is #2 on Google Blog Search for the keyword search "florist"

http://everydayflowers.blogspot.com/2006/04/topiary-flower-arrangements.html

BIG HINT Eric: post a new article with the keyword "florist" about every 5 to 7 days. In between post articles about holidays and produce...Example: next week you need an article with the keyword "Administrative Assistants' Week", then the following week with the keyword "Administrative Assistants' Day",then the week-end before Administrative Assistants' Week post an article using the keyword "Admin Day".

Nice work Eric! I'm glad you have the time for something like this!!

Well done Eric. It looks great and is easy to traverse. :) It's a great way to promote you and your business... time well spent.

V

mlou said:
Congratulations to Eric...He has been listening to CHR and I preach about marketing your shop on the internet.

He started his blog about two weeks ago...
Today his blog is #2 on Google Blog Search for the keyword search "florist"

http://everydayflowers.blogspot.com/2006/04/topiary-flower-arrangements.html

BIG HINT Eric: post a new article with the keyword "florist" about every 5 to 7 days. In between post articles about holidays and produce...Example: next week you need an article with the keyword "Administrative Assistants' Week", then the following week with the keyword "Administrative Assistants' Day",then the week-end before Administrative Assistants' Week post an article using the keyword "Admin Day".

Awesome blog, nice look and easy to navigate. Keep these good ideas coming! We're going to a non WS website of original designs after Mother's Day. I'm excited but must admit to being scared as h3ll as well. I hadn't thought of a blog for the site but I see how that is something to consider!

Dazeal said:
I'm glad you have the time for something like this!!
Time...Shmime....who's got the time...

Mine should have some content by the weekend :)

BOSS said:
Time...Shmime....who's got the time...

Mine should have some content by the weekend :)

BIG HINT: Don't try to find time to write an article everyday...IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. Write 4 or 5 articles at a time, save in your word processor, then cut and paste an article every other day. They only need to be a paragraph or two with some related pictures and a couple of links (don't link to the same pages, use different web page links with each article)

Example:
Haa Haa Banana Corms
The Haa Haa Banana Tree is a rare dwarf green leafed plant that grows6 feet to 8 feet. It has burgundy colored overtones in the new leaves. The fruit is orangefleshed with a low moisture content.

Add a picture, then link to where you have Haa Haa Banana Corms on your website...

There are no hard and fast RULES of how to blog.

Think of your blog as a personal diary-style of writing. Most people read online by scanning the page for individual words or phrases, headings and other visual cues.

While I'm on my bandwagon again...

If you want to blog, find a free blogging service
Consider one of the many pre-made blog website templates offered by the blogging service.
Titles of your article are everything...straightforward, short and simple
Keep things short and to the point.
Avoid floral technical jargon.
Use good fresh content for your blog.
This is a wonderful place to showcase some of your designs.

Don't bother with a word processor. Get an off-line blogging tool such as BlogJet or PostXing (first one costs, second one free). These will natively plug into most major blogging apps, and will allow you to save your posts, as well as write them using a rich text editor (like the one we use for these posts).

Word processors, such as Word, add all sorts of extra crappy HTML codes.

One more thing, if you use Microsoft FrontPage...

DO NOT hit the "Publish Website" command in Microsoft FrontPage
it will permanently deleted your article off your hard drive.

Click on the "Create Post" .

For those considering having their own site, www.rkfdomains.com offers a free quick blog with each hosting account, and the domain name is only $1.99 for the year.

Ryan

Question...Can this be used in substitute of a website? I'm brand new to all this technical stuff and trying to find the best way (inexpensive) to get us out there.

seasonsblooming said:
Question...Can this be used in substitute of a website? I'm brand new to all this technical stuff and trying to find the best way (inexpensive) to get us out there.
A Blog will not support a shopping cart (that I know of) to sell items like a web site will...

A blog is more on an infomercial about your store....

blog vs. website

BOSS said:
A Blog will not support a shopping cart (that I know of) to sell items like a web site will...

A blog is more on an infomercial about your store....

Okay, right now I don't want a shopping cart (this will speard me thinner than I already am) I just want to have a listing and pictures of product people can call an order. So this could work, Right?

Can the site be changed on a regular basis for holidays?

I haven't read the Wordpress/shopping cart article, but I would advise against it. Carts and blogs are very different technologies for very different purposes. It is possible to have both on your website--we do at www.bloomeryweddings.com. The cart is one piece of software, and the blog is a different one. They run just fine together, and each does its own thing quite happily.

If you want to grow into a cart, starting with a blog is not a bad idea. If you have content, you can get your site noticed and build your audience. Aldo Coffe's entire site is its blog (http://www.aldocoffee.com/). Get a decent design and good content and get started. Grow into a cart when you're ready.

I would not look toward a service such as Blogger--I would get my own hosting account and my own blog tool. Get teh cheapest hosting account you can--you can always move your stuff later (or someone technical can, anyway). Blogger may be free, but when Google needs to increase its revenue, you may very well see ads for FTD appearing on your blog.

When I get a free moment--probably later today--I'll put together my recommended growth plan for new florist websites and post it somwehere. Entirely my own opinion, but built from answering A LOT of questions.

RJD said:
Blogger may be free, but when Google needs to increase its revenue, you may very well see ads for FTD appearing on your blog.
Good point. I keep forgetting to check and see if e-receipts and delivery confirmations from our shop trigger 1800, FTD or ProFlowers ads at Gmail or any of the other email services.

Nothing like tagging your ad along on a message to someone who's a flower buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.