Florists Across American

Rhonda

Nov 1, 2002
Millinocket
www.millinocketflorist.com
State / Prov
Maine
Who is this? I see the "Why a local florist".

Reactions: anytimeflowers
Hmmm...interesting site......

The paragraph below is the one that bothers me. Its like they are trying to fight the OG's by becoming an OG! Telling people that if you need to send flowers out of town call one of our stores because "we know who the best florists are, and who to avoid" doesn't seem on the up and up to me. That is the same thing the dOGs tell people. I have NO problem with florists networking, and strongly encourage it.....however I also believe in being honest and not misleading customers. Unless you personally know the florist you are forwarding the order to, don't suggest that you do. At least have the decency to say "I dont know a florist in that city, but I will be happy to help you locate one and send your order for you". The fact that most all the florists mentioned on the page have either FTD or TF websites tells me that you call them, they wire out the order and bamm.....sound familiar?

[h=2]Should You Ever Use a Local Florist for an Out-of-town Delivery?[/h]
TF111-2.jpg
YES!
There are reasons to have your local florist send flowers to an out of town destination? Definitely! If you already have a relationship with a florist and they have provided you with great local service, they will provide you with great out of town service. As a group, we’ve been delivering flowers for over 1,000 years, millions of successful deliveries, both in our hometowns and elsewhere. We know who the best florists are, we know who to avoid. We guarantee your satisfaction whether we deliver the product, or forward the order to another trusted florist. And, most importantly, we advertise who we really are. When you go to our websites you can tell exactly where we’re located, exactly what towns we deliver to, and exactly what you’ll receive for your money.If you want to become more informed on some of the deceptive internet advertising practices in the floral industry, go to floristdetective.com. If you want to order safely, securely and confidently, simply go to one of our member sites to enjoy the highest quality of products and professional services the floral industry can offer. We guarantee your satisfaction with Florists Across America.​

According to the site, they formed their group in 1994, right at the beginning of the internet explosion. I wonder if they will use this site as the platform for members of FFC or if they will keep this a separate entity.

Thanks for the find, Rhonda ~ it's another piece of a huge puzzle.

I do know for a fact that most of these florists have preferred florists across the nation, everybody keeps lists. We always did that in the shops where I worked, if there was a raving compliment OR a complaint that was completely valid, the filling shop either got circled in the book and put on a list or crossed out of the book and put on a list. With the enormous amounts of orders these large florists have handled, this would be imperative.

Do I feel comfortable? Not completely, like I said, it's another piece of the puzzle. By seeing when they were formed, it DOES confirm the fact that the founders of FFC are incredibly sharp.

Reactions: CHR
According to the site, they formed their group in 1994, right at the beginning of the internet explosion.
Yep, that's what it says.... however, the site only went online 06/20/2005

It's owned by Tim Galea (some of you may know him from FB) from Norton's Flowers in Ypsilanti MI.

I'll do some more poking/asking around today... I don't **think** this has anything to do with FFC (could be wrong, I'll ask), be interesting to know when shops were added...

ADDED: Interestingly, when you do a zip code search (I did 5 local to me zips) the results rotate between shops listed, not just the closest florist, I got a different result each time.

I found it when Shannon asked about a florist in NY for a funeral service (on fb) and someone gave a link to a florist. I read the about us and it had a link to it. Kind of round about as you see. I saw who the shops were (members) and thought it interesting especially because of Keith and Betsy..

Reactions: anytimeflowers
put in my zip code, and got a "sorry none of our florists deliver to this area, but Penny's Florist (member florists rotate) will be happy to assist you in pacing your order"

Looks like a pay-to-list directory sort of like Art's Localflowershop.com except they have no free local listings, and they generate outgoing wire work for all the paying members, not just the host of the website.

One more example of florists trying to empower a middle man IMO

Mystery Revealed about Florists Across America

Back in 2005 the Midwest Group (a marketing group very like the Big 10 or The Great Lakes group) decided to try to create some links to our site and possibly direct consumers to a real local florist since we have members from all over the US. The intention was to direct consumers to a real local florist in an area that they wanted to send, and since we are a small group (15 members) we do not have complete coverage of the US so we decided to on a rotating basis direct the consumer to a real local florist that could help them get their order filled. Thats it. No secret conspiracy or master plan to rule the floral world. We simply saw the effect the OG's were having on our business and tried to combat it. Mark, Cathy, please look at the site and tell me if there is any dishonest or untrue thing there? It is basicly a landing page with links and very little SEO. Honestly its a little dated and is not as successful as we had hoped. We had evaluated the possibility of setting up an OG website and could not come to grips with the lack of ethic's that are involved in that model.

Keith
Member Midwest Group (Floral Professionals Working Together)
Founding Member Florists for Change
Just a Real Local Florist

Looks like a pay-to-list directory sort of like Art's Localflowershop.com except they have no free local listings, and they generate outgoing wire work for all the paying members, not just the host of the website.

One more example of florists trying to empower a middle man IMO

No we are not "Empowering the Middle man" or creating a directory, its simply a landing page for the Midwest group florists.

Tell me what florist bsides Mark does not play a role in a wire out?

If you can find anything untrue or dishonest on that site, tell me.

Keith

Reactions: Rhonda
Thanks Keith (even tho' I spelled it American in the title, doh).. figured you'd pop in and see the thread and comment. How long has that site been around and do you or the members get questions etc regarding it? I believe there is a statement there somewhere about real florists being in the group. I knew it wasn't a "dog" page when I first found it because of the group of florists listed...

Folks, I've checked it out, talked to a couple members... Really it's a no harm no foul gig.... I don't have a problem with it.

Keith... Maybe I'll see you next month...

Keith -

I remember when that page was launched. :) My 'opps' above was seeing the thread title and thinking it was about Perry's of Ronkonkoma and their OG sites.

I've never seen the Florists Across America oage as any more than an attempt to direct consumers to the local florist members of the Midwest group. :)