Florists to florists Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new at this???

Hello everyone I am new to flower Chat and really don't know what I am doing. So any help would be appreciated.
I have to ask a few questions?????
1. As I look at many of your web sites I see most of you have sites not run by TF & FTD okay yes I would rather not let them have any more of my money. What sources are you people using for your sites?

2. Honestly I forgot what my other ?? is at the moment

Thanks guys for any info................

brownsburgflorist.com

Reactions: 1 person
Micheller,

I like your unique designs you've added to your web site. I think its really important to also add your local phone number and your address to the front page of your website. It took me awhile to find where you are located!

Thanks, I need to look at some more sites to get other ideas. I am guilty of jut adding our custom pics. and not much else.

I have to ask you, where do you mean to put the local # and other info? It is at the top of the page on every page. Do you have yours set up to scroll with the page or something like that????

Floral Wire Service Network

Is anyone here a member of clearRoot?

http://www.clearroot.com

They've got a pretty interesting concept going. No upfront fees. No big investment upfront. I think this has the makings of a 'direct-to-florist' type deal with a bit of the 'wire network' concept mixed in.

Nothing beats a directory of 'real florists' that you can contact directly, though, but I'm not sure how you guys will handle referral fees for giving/getting business from each other.

Okay so its been a day since I posted the google maps idea. Perahps its not the time. I have been thinking about this and it seems that we need to look at this at a different approuch.

Directories are for consumers to find what they are looking for. So instead of thinking about the content for a site. Lets think about how people are going to get to the site. First there is the obvious of linking to the site, directory or google map. We need to determine how want to link to it via image, or keywords.

I think looking at how late in the game this we should consider looking at existing directories. I know that locateaflowershop does well enough that they don't need our help. So looking at the next possiablities I see some sites here created for the same purpose but again they don't rank as well as our compeditors directories. Find a florist and ftdfloristonline. So do we need to look at linking to an existing directory to take out the competions directories?

I see big johns directory created what 3 years ago. First I have seen it here and it's only because I just didn't know about it and I wasn't member when the intially setup where happing. I know there is Ilocalflorist and someothers here as well.

Now the flowerchat directory here has been in place for sometime. And again it looks like not all members here have added their information. Something to keep in mind for everyone here is the image gallery. The image gallery is a great way to strut your stuff and I know most of us here can really say that we have recieved actually orders from the gallery and the best part its free.

Everything that we all do here at flowerchat benefits our websites as well as feeding up to date content to flowerchat and the most powerful part of SEO work and that is our links going to the forum. I have links on the front page of our site as well as from our blog. So we have already in place a strong SEO pushing flowerchat to the top.

To get to the point we need to change somethings to make this work even better.

1. How should we link to flower chat?
2. How should we link to the Image Gallery?
3. How should we link to the Directory?
4. We need all members to update or add their shop information to the directory.
5. What is the best way to link back to our own websites via Signitures?
6. More comments and post being done in the image gallery.

These things most of us are already doing. We just need to get everyone doing it and be very specific on how to this. We need to decide upon keyword links, Image Links and ALT Tags for the image links. We need to be all on the same page so that we can maximize the results from this massive link exchange. I say forget about trying to start something from scratch and lets work with what we have here. It all ready helped us do some incrediable things especially the Pro Flowers Video and I think we can do even more.

There is to many directories and we just need to push one to the top.

Oh yea we need to roll out the YOU TUBE GALLERY!!!

Eric,

Watch for some updates to FlowerChat very soon. It will change the impact of the gallery, and might even impact your YouTube idea.

Ryan

Eric I'm curious and not being a smartass.

Why do we want to push flowerchat up in SERP's?

It's a private place anyway. Do we not have enough members?

Or are you just referring to the directory part of it? Is that private as well? There's most certainly not enough coverage for it to be a viable option. If people come to a directory with only a couple listings per state it will never be used.

And, this leads me to my feelings that online directories have an inherent lack of quality control. Anybody can sign up.

Eric I'm curious and not being a smartass.

Why do we want to push flowerchat up in SERP's?

It's a private place anyway. Do we not have enough members?

Or are you just referring to the directory part of it? Is that private as well? There's most certainly not enough coverage for it to be a viable option. If people come to a directory with only a couple listings per state it will never be used.

And, this leads me to my feelings that online directories have an inherent lack of quality control. Anybody can sign up.

But its okay to be a smartass.:loopy

What I was referring to pushing the flowerchat up is that I am guessing that since most of us link to flowerchat from our blogs and frontpages that I would imagine this has helped move it up the search engines. That plus all of the rich content it currently allows to be spidered. (Just guessing)

Anyways the directory part could be moved up the same way just like with the proflowers video. Now I am not sure about the quality of the directory but I would guess again that the only way you could add the shop is if your a member of the forum and since most of us are responsible for allowing new members to join via introduction threads this could help keep the directory mostly clean. If needed and if I am "worthy" I will volunteer my services to help moderate the directory. (Hey I am just offering)

I know that the current members include all sorts of business but hey we do have an idea who is who. Besides if flowerchat is considered to be private why are there so many new introduction threads happening? I know its all the referrals that we do.

In my opinion the directory has been started, its a mature part of the existing site and it could easily continue to grow on its own. The image gallery is also very important and looking at views of the gallery it does have some worthy traffic going to it.

When we quit TF we did not feel alone as much as relieved!
It was sort of like having a ugly growth removed.

I have been wireless for over 4 years and haven't look back. I think not
being in a wire service makes you design better, because each design
counts, you feel good about it and you also got 100% of the order.
If you make each design a performance...your locals know and your
business will grow.
I dropped the services not only because of the outrageous charges, but
I really did not want to deliver most of the designs that were being sent
to me, as a reflection of my work! I realized that I was getting charged
for each order that I refused to fill because of its hideousness!
I do belong to bbrooks fine flowers. I use it to send and they only charge
me when I use the service, no monthly charges! they always send me high
dollar orders to fill, I think 85.00 was the least and $250. the highest I have received, plus the delivery charge, and they do not take a discount on the delivery charge! I don't get these orders every day, but I am in a smaller
city. I would rather show my stuff occasionally, than to just fill busy
orders daily and hate my life.
When a local customer calls me for a flower delivery out of town, I tell
them I can handle it one of two ways. I can completely take care of the
order for them and my minimum is $60.00 plus my 9.95 fee. That way
I am sure they will get something nice...like I would send from my shop.
I am not going to lie to them and expect another florist to fill a $35.00
order less delivery and be surprised when I get a complaint that it was
a little more than a bud vase. What do you expect?
People who are busy, want me to handle the order,and usually spend
more than the minimum. people who need to spend less go with my
2nd option. I am more than happy to look up a florist or two and give
them the number. That way, I tell them, they will get 100% value when
they call themselves, they are the customer walking in the door. They
think I just gave them secret information and are loyal to me for all
of their local flower and gift shopping. I know, they could look it up
themselves, but , many don't or they want my advise of who to use.
by the way, I have not one complaint on any of the outgoing orders
I have sent in 5 years once I have raised my pricing. I also order
what they would get at my store, which is not from a book, but
rather a "designers choice" using the freshest blooms of the day,
"nothing ftd-like, no carnations and no poms." that is what I sell,
and that is why they are calling me in the first place to send what
I sell! I keep a local list of florists in the surrounding cities, and I always
tell my clients to tell the florist that I recommended them to call. There
is something about karma that comes around...the other florist appreciates
the full order and will reciprocate a referral my way.

With ONE Caveat JB!

And no Toto, just being a wire member has not that much to do with it. A few of mine are not members of any wire service.:scatter

If TOTO ever had anything GOING YOUR WAY, you would be MY ONLY CHOICE ever!

Especially since TWILA does do BEAUTIFUL WORK!

By the way, how is your healing process going? I hope you are well on the mend my friend. :bouquet2:

Eric,

Don't be so quick to despair. Good things take time to develop - and quality projects rarely happen when people jump the gun and start running off in different directions.

I have plans that lie down this road - but all in good time. Meanwhile, I need to recover from getting the Florist 2.0 project ready :)

Ryan

By the way, how is your healing process going? I hope you are well on the mend my friend. :bouquet2:

Thanks for asking Toto.

I rode the motorcycle the other day. That´s a good sign. Pain is consistent whenever I move it, but they are going to take the hardware out in May and I am hoping this will be the beginning of the end of the pain.

I'm incline to agree with you. It was a good thoght . I'm not sure what the subject was anymore...was it florist coming together & forming a list for wiring flowers amongst their selves? Helping each other out? Or how to get an 80/20 split? Why do we call it a recipe & how come everyone has to have the same one? I honestly think we complicate it too much! I do not have a wire service. If I have someone come into my shop & want to wire flowers. Can I just jump on the FC net work & find the one who is listed in that area. I trust FC's recomendation. Call their shop & give them the order? I supose that just shows how green (no pun intended) I am. Hopefully other florist would do the same for me. If there is something my customer wants & I can't fulfill, I honestly recommened the competitor that can fulfill it the best for them? Or was it all about ToTo & getting hurt , hope it's all better now.

Not a Good Sign JB!

Thanks for asking Toto. I rode the motorcycle the other day. That´s a good sign.

Hey JB: My best advise is to STAY the H-E-L-L off the HOG! lol

Aside from that, at least all WEE FC MEMBERS will know, just who to call, and when we need Weather Reports. My Mother-In-Law, who broke her ankle over ten years ago, can project RAIN and 24 Hours before it falls. :magic

Then quit moving *it*!lol

I try my best amigo!

My couch has a dent in it from the couple months of laying on it.

Then every now and then I feel that need for speed.

Know what I mean ¿?¿

Here, Here!!! I couldn't have said it any better! It took me long enough to figure it all out because unfortunately I have had different accountants every year & they couldn't understand the WS fees. They kept telling me I was making money except it wasn't in my pocket. Finally, I learned enough questions to ask so I could get the answers to determine why I have no money making over $400K is annual sales. Too much wire business, their high priced products, costs of POS, fees for everything under the sun. You are so right when you say the real breakdown to the florist is about 61% for the filling florist when you factor in all the fees. Thats why we can't do $29 or $39 total orders & pay our designers $12 hr, drivers $9 hr, etc.I finally got smart & realized if I was going to survive in this business I needed to get rid of all WS. I got rid of 1-800, 3 yrs ago & within 1 month I got 100% business replacement because gee, I had time to do some marketing. I just ended FTD & now because I have Eagle POS it has taken me some time to figure out how to get away from them. Soon they will be gone too. I like being automated so I am use to that scenario so I have been trying to figure out how to make it all work. I am going to get my own website using John Henry images because they are very nice & generic everyday containers. When that is done, I'll be richer in every way!!! Sometimes, it just takes us a while to figure things out since the WS keeps us so busy making money for them. Who has time to think!! Apparently, that is why so many shops across the US fail in business because they really believe the hype that the WS is there to help you. Its always been done this way. I learned this in my trade school so I never thought about being wrong. I just assumed I didn't know what I was doing. Yet, in every other company I managed I was excellent at managing my resources. Wow! what an eye-opener! I can guarantee you one thing they all had in common & that is probably they were in a WS & being fed a line.... :)

A search on Google for "florist directory" shows the following web site under a sponsored link:

http://www.floralyellowpages.com/

Is anyone here listed on this directory?
Yes, I am member of floral yellow pages & also 1-800 send. They advocate the 80-20 split. It is florist direct to each other. I wanted to start a new thread earlier but couldn't figure out how to see if anyone had heard of the Direct2Florist network. I would like to find out how they work.

Status
Not open for further replies.