Flower ID help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpringCity

May 19, 2008
Milwaukee
State / Prov
WI
I know the red is a dahlia...What are the lime green balls? And what about the red hanging things? Kind of embarrassing, I've been a florist for 10+ years. Oh well.

Thanks in advance!

pretty.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
The green balls are definately green poms,like button poms but a little bigger. I dont know what the red hanging stuff is when you find out let me know, it's wonderful looking stuff.

I don't know about them being poms.....but who knows
And I've been a florist for 26 years, I don't know what that stuff is. I can't wait to find out though. I bet Ricky knows.

On the green balls; for some reason the way the petals are shaped makes me think they are dahlias. But weird crazy ones.
I love this arrg. and want to make a version of it this holiday season. (it's just a stock photo that I purchased.... I suppose I could email the photographer)

the green balls are definately called kermit spray chrysanthemums, i get them all the time. Give me a minute and i will find the proper name for them. Not sure about the hanging stuff, nice though. Greenery is leylandaii.

Reactions: 2 people
Cant find it, listed as kermit everywhere. You could replace the trailing stuff with trailing ameranthus though, my favourite. Not sure if you get this over there but if you want a pic let me know.

Hey and i would not be embarrased, thats the great thing about out trade, we are still learning all the time. I am personally terrible with rose varieties.

On the green balls; for some reason the way the petals are shaped makes me think they are dahlias. But weird crazy ones.
I)
My thoughts as well - not all dahlias are big fatties.
My holland truck salesman says they are a type of "gerbera" from holland - a green ball type .... go figure. No go on the orange berry, though.

The berry looks like chinaberry or pepperberry. It's available fresh in November and December. Available dried, too. It is grows on a tree in California. Nandina also has berries similar to this. It is an ornamental shrub that can be grown in temperate areas. Nandina does not trail quite as much.

Don't know what the green flower is but it reminds me of the sweet cream marigold pictured here. Does anyone know if these marigolds can be used as a cut flower? Can they be dyed or painted? Experience please?

Attachments

• marigold_sweetcream_1.jpg
    marigold_sweetcream_1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 30
Yup, Kermits, that's it!
Inferno, I have used Marigolds as a cut flower but some really SMELL. Not sure about this variety but they can be kinda stinky. Usually get them when they are in season here.
I don't dye or spray so I don't know how it would take. So can't help you with that one.

Yup, Kermits, that's it!
Inferno, I have used Marigolds as a cut flower but some really SMELL. Not sure about this variety but they can be kinda stinky. Usually get them when they are in season here.
I don't dye or spray so I don't know how it would take. So can't help you with that one.

Thanks. I used to grow the sweet cream in baskets and people loved them and they have a long stem. I might grow some next year and see how smelly they are and if the can be dyed/painted. I would suppose that if they were really usable we would be able to buy them so maybe not?

The green ball is a type of gerber...I got them a couple of years ago, and was disappointed in the size...not as large as the price might warrant!
I would hate to think what they cost now...cannot recall the name.

There is a new type of green ball-type gerbera out on the market - I have seen them in some of the stuff that can be found on and in the holland markets. The red berries look like pepperberry that has had the leaves removed, the foliage looks like leyland cypress.

The green bloom looks too large to be a kermit or yoko ono type button mum - That's why I think it might be that new green gerbera.

ok, if those are daliahs, there is no way those are kermit poms, unless those are either the tiniest daliahs OR the biggest kermits in the world.

If the red were cushion mums, then I'd be more in agreement that those are kermits. And I never seen any pepperberries like that either.

but what do I know.

I don't know, this is gonna drive me crazy.

Reactions: 1 person
I am absolutely certain that they are kermits, i have them in my shop daily. I was a bit unsure of the dahlias myself but i have just done a google and i think they are red double xanths.

They must make kermits tons bigger in the UK because the ones I get are only 1" diameter at their biggest. Am I wrong? I could be, don't know. But this is driving my crazy so I wasted my afternoon looking and came across some dahlias that look very similar to the green flower in the picture. Is it possible it could be a ball dahlia?

Attachments

• Nettie.jpg
    Nettie.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: 1 person
Amaranthus caudatus

I think the red ones might be Love Lies Bleeding... Amaranthus caudatus. See photo... some are tighter together but others are smaller balls farther apart.... might be ... might not be...

Attachments

• love lies bleeding.jpg
    love lies bleeding.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 18
No inferno, honestly that is defo a kermit - i am sure of it. I think the red ones are double chrsanths which would explain the size difference. Actually as well as far as i am aware dahlias over here can be quite small also. fits in with the little clusters of hydrangea as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.