Foreclosure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been doing some reading and much listening since I posted yesterday.

First, a little history. The UAW negotiated its first contract as a recognized labor union with GM in 1937......71 years ago.

The first initial contracts all dealt with worker safety, wages, and the beginnings of some type of benefits package. Over the last 70 years, the primary focus of the UAW has been to keep its membership protected and the membership base preserved and expanded.

(In the State of Michigan, alone, UAW represents office workers, workers in the state capital and other industries, just to name a few).

As it brought in the union to other types of work, the UAW has tried & fought to obtain "UAW auto industry" benefits and wages on workers from very dissimilar types of jobs.

Also, following the trends of the labor agreements, whatever the Union obtained, the salaried auto people generally got, in terms of wages & benefits. Similar types of health care and retirement plans were also encouraged at all associated supplier and dealership operations.

When labor negotiations began with GM prior to the expiration of their 2007 contract, GM and the Union realized that they had more people RETIRED THAN THEY DID WORKING. Benefits were promised to all.
They had to find a way to cover that nut.

GM & the UAW accepted the creation of the Voluntary Employee Benefit Trust Fund. Therein, the auto industry would contribute so much year per worker into the Fund, beginning 1-1-2010...primarily for health care. I believe that the UAW intended for all three automakers to contribute to the fund -- I cannot locate any information on whether or not Ford and Chrysler also joined in this trust agreement..

The "tought nut" is the dollars necessary to fund the trust. The UAW would manage the fund, but that the auto industry would have to fund, by 1-1-2010, all the EXISTING LEGACY COSTS, estimated to be 65 billion at the time with cold, hard cash. (GM's share is estimated to be 51 billion).

So, GM has had since 9-17-2007 to figure out how to fund 51 billion in legacy costs with real time, hard cash dollars ------ or alternatively, go back to the table and negotiate with the UAW to pay this cost out to the UAW in smaller installments, over a longer term.

GM has chosen to to neither one.

Hwever, , GM has come to the USA taxpayers, with hat in hand, and said how about a little support and a gift????
For this, I have little to no sympathy.

Now, the legacy costs are high -- they are based upon current benefit levels and age expectancies because the benefit levels promised are great & generous. We all know people live a lot longer today than 70 years ago (about 20+ years).

I have read many, many times that the benefit costs paid by the auto industry add $1,000 to the price of EVERY CAR/TRUCK that is built!

Further, should GM be forced into bankruptcy, the pensions are protected by the Pension Benefits Guarantee Corporation. The plans, with all data & payout information will be taken over by the PBGC.

All legitimate retirement plans are required, by federal law, to pay a premium to the PBGC each year for each worker. The PBGC is like an insurance fund, if you will. If the company fails, the PBGC takes over the plan, and all its assets, and begins to make the payouts to the retirees. Unfunded liabilities of the insured and guaranteed plans would be paid from the sale of any assets. (The PBGC becomes just like the IRS, and is guaranteed to be paid.)

However, the MAXIMUM pension payable thru the PBGC today is $54,000 per year per person. (This # rises each year). So anyone who is receiving a pension larger than this see a payment reduction. Anyone who receives a "supplemental" benefit would take a reduction.

HEALTH CARE is the HUGE, UNFUNDED LIABILITY HERE. that is causing the comotion. Health care has always been paid for from present earnings by all companies.
So the burden to pay for retiree as well as active employee health care always has been paid with present day dollars. There was never an insurance "savings account" set up to cover this.

Supplemental retirement benefits, not part of any specific retirement benefit, are funded in the same way as health care costs.

(These types of benefits are offered at the "whim" of the company and can be taken away at any given time. (Supplemental retirement benefit means that the company is offering you $xx.xx per month until you reach age 65 to retire now, at age 55, 60 or 62 or instance.
The additional benefit is paid to to until you reach 65 and are elegible for Soc. Sec.). )

The Billions of dollars that GM wants will go directly to pay these health care costs -- funding the UAW trust fund, and nothing more.

We will not see any concrete reductions in work force, more operating efficiencies, lower costs to produce products. etc.

We, in small business, strive every day to stretch our hard earned dollars, and make do with less. We negitiate with our suppliers, our landlords, our employees, and reduce costs in every way we can.

While I do feel sorry that people are living with so much uncertainity, and so much possible heartache, I question whether we should have to pay for the fact that someone else cannot pay their bill.

What you are seeing is the first real and very concrete push for a national health care plan that we have seen since Bill Clinton.

I agree with a lot of what Fox said above (the haves vs the have notsand the political fights that will insue).

The UAW members & retirees could be the first to enter a national health care plan.....not by their choice.

I guess we should just take the $$ from our left pocket & put it in our right pocket, and send them all their new insurance cards.

Just my humble opinions,

Cheryl

I think it is time that the auto industry wake up, and do the same thing.

As former governor Romney said today on the Today show, i't time to let them go into bankruptcy, so that we can rebuild again......and his prediction is that Chrysler probably will not survive.

Where are the liberals?

Just a thought? What happened to all our liberals? This string suddenly got serious and some great posts were made and no comment. Where's bloomzie, beth, victoria, etc.

Don't tell me that if the string doesn't post something negative about the President , they have nothing to say? Please say it ain't so.

Speaking for myself at least Fox - when I don't know something I often find it best not to comment.

You want I should do the usual? because this situation does totally qualify.

It's Bush's fault. He's leaving Rome burning.

Great job he did for Haliburton and Exxon tho.....

War is our business - and business is good.

I don't understand this situation - this is why I thanked Cheryl for helping me understand it.

I don't think giving money to people who have a track record of mismanaging it is a good idea - isn't there a saying about that?

Something about sending good money after bad?

Or how did el Dumbo put it "fool me twice, well you can't get fooled again, heh, heh, heh"?

The jet deal is a no biggie in the big picture except for the incredible lack of judgement it showed, which in that case sort of speaks volumes...espeiclly given the financial climate that showed those bailed out banks spending money like drunken sailors. No I take that back, the jet deal is a huge example of idiots in charge.

But I'll take my original premise for $200 Fox - Bush's fault. And the nimrods that voted for him.

ManorMan ( Clad in full body armor )

Lots of great posts and opinions.
So, in the spirit of optimism, let me ask this dumb question :

Can anything be done at this point, after so much damage has been done, to avert the obvious ?

I for one think not, without a complete economical and social collapse.

The issue at hand here is not about the way we lean politically. It's really about putting the people back in " We the People ", and for that to happen, if even a slim possibility exists, the entire system and all around it would have to undergo the most comprehensive reorganization the world has ever seen.

Just a coupla thoughts Let the bullets fly !

Guess we can only hang onto our hopes and beliefs at this point Mark. ( and bullets ).

Mr. Fox... I am reading and learning. I prefer to have some knowledge of the subject at hand before jumping into the fray. Thanks Cheryl for the education. I'm most appreciative of your desire to share what you know.

For the record I am not a union supporter. I don't think for one minute they are needed any more.

At the moment in my country, we have postal admistration on strike and teachers talking the talk... are you kidding me?

Part of me could care less if the car companies go down, they've fed on themselves and us for a long time. However, the other side of me is seeing the affects of the plunging car companies. It's not just the big 3 who are affected... it's all the businesses who make car parts. The dominos are falling hard and fast in my area with people I know being flung out of work.

By the way, I'm still grateful as hel l that I have health care.

V

The jet thing was really stupid. It's true that in the big scheme of things it's a drop in the bucket. AND, it is probably worth the cost because it lets the CEO get back to work sooner.

However, it clearly shows that they aren't in touch with public sentiment and the reality of the crisis that is going on. The same with the Union guy who said "No matter what, we aren't giving anything else away" It just goes to show that they are hoping for business as usual--and that plan is dead on arrival.

Union flexibility should be present in all of these goings on however the unions will not take a hit to allow the exec's & others to pad their pockets.

In order to start to achieve some progress the budgetary concerns have to start at the top and work their way down.
The exec's all knew this day would come, and certainly provided for all in their camps and families. They got away with it and still are.
As far as the jets are concerned, it's all BS to me.
Anyone in business possesses the ability to run their operation from afar. Cell phones and laptops along with a competent and loyal staff make it possible.

My guess is that the automakers will be bailed out, funded by us, and will set the stage for the next phase of destruction. Already the market reaction has everyone scrambling with thoughts of hitting 5,000. The powers that be will either let it happen and create international chaos, followed by long term US devastation, or continue the path of high and mighty righteousness, thus killing off the lifeblood of American society.

I sit and think of all that have given their lives in this God forsaken war, their friends and families that have suffered, and wonder what is in store for the lucky ones that may one day return home. As they sit in trenches what goes through their minds about life back home, the place they risk their lives for.

As far as the failed Bailout..........now what ? Who do we, the American people hold accountable ? Who do we bring to justice and who signs the Bailout, Bailout legislation for us ? We deserve a bailout don't we, or do we just keep footing the bill ?

No one will bail the taxpayers, because that is not the plan & we just got screwed, and more is to come.

Kevin, there is no question that they will get the bailout money. It will just be after January 20.

As far as the Unions go, they have already given up a lot. BUT, for the leader to come out and say NO MORE CONCESSIONS shows that they aren't that serious about believing the industry will collapse.

The companies and the unions need to get smart, put out a business plan that shows some hope for success and they will get the money.

HOWEVER, it's really too late. One or more of the big three will enter bankruptcy in 2009. Hopefully they will come out of it stronger and wiser.

Is it really that they're not serious Ted or is it that they won't continue the cuts and givebacks to support the BS. Granted there's more to it but I know 100's that would support a change if it meant cost cutting would start at the top, and many of those have already given back and have been screwed.

We have ties to a large union and have watched the givebacks for many years. Many things come into the minds of the members when givebacks are discussed.
I won't take a position on the good or bad of unions but can say that many are tired of being used to subsidize the gains of others. That subject alone takes on many hats.

Though I would hate to see the destruction continue I believe it inevitable regardless of another bailout or 50. Someone will pay the price and we all know who that will be.
Eventually, as hundreds of thousands of small businesses are crushed, someone may just suggest a bailout for them, but I wouldn't bet on it, and all the while the fat will sit and party and count their money, all made possible by the contributions and sacrifices of little people.

The whole @@@@ thing sucks !!!!!!!!!

Kevin:
You asked for my suggestions as to what will work or help.
Here you are...........

First and foremost, APPOINT AN AUTO CZAR TO DEAL WITH THIS PROBLEM, AND SORT IT ALL OUT. (the equivalent of a US Bankruptcy judge, without the bankruptcy filing stigma).
Congress would only get to sign off on the final stuff when the "loan guarantee amounts" are definite. The proposals put forth for authorization would not be "tinkerable".......no add-on pork barrel politics!

Then:
1. The chairmen of Ford & GM, as Chrysler has already offered to, must agree to take a $1.00/ year salary, as Lee Iaccoca did in 1979, in order to get the government guaranteed LOAN money, and continue to take $1.00/year for the life of the loan. If they don't agree, they resign or are fired.

1a. While GM has said that it has cut management costs somewhat, it needs to cut more, and more. People need to do more, with less resources, just like you and I do.

2. Management & unions from all 3 car companies must agree to re-open negotiations of the labor agreements in place. Wages & benefits for current as well as retired workers must be re-negotiated, to a lower rate, effective immediately. And this would include the funded costs and benefits given to workers if a plant is shut down.

3. Legacy health care costs must be funded. In order to fund this trust, the companies must all agree to participate, and the costs need to be spread out over a reasonable period, beginning now....1-1-2009. (we cannot put off paying this piper any longer). Paying into it for say, 10 years, is reasonable to get to the kind of $$ that are needed for the fund.

3a. If it is not reasonable to fund these legacy health care costs, then a separate fund, similar to Medicare, needs to be established for these retirees. How it will be funded -- and what level of benefits will be provided -- is anyone's guess.

Co-payments and deductibles would be part of both of these schemes, which are apparently not the case now.

4. If there are unfunded pension liabilities, these must be funded by the companies. The only way to get the workers to buy in to lower benefits, is to show them that their pensions are insured, protected, and fully funded via the PBGC.

If the unfunded liabilities for the pension plans are too high, then the plans are really in serious trouble, and we really have a great problem.

If there are EXCESS funds (above the estimated future liabilities) in the plans, then the plans CAN be terminated, the annunity amounts can be rolled into individual IRA type annunities for each individual. Any excess funds can be returned to the companies. (This is a doable, but complex process involving the IRS. and it takes about a year to make happen......I highly doubt that any of the auto plans are excess funded.....but could be). (I was involved in doing this with 5 plans for a chemical company that was taken over ---we returned 13.5 million dollars to the company, with all annunities fully funded.)

5. Management and labor must agree to work together to make the US auto industry more competitive. This means earning decent $$ for a decent days' work. No more 13 weeks vacation every 5 years. paid holidays are limited to about 7.....and so on.

6. Management and labor must come together on cross-training work rules, and allowing and efficient use of the labor force. This means that 1 person can do more than 1 job. So, if the company needs painters today, but doesn't need seat installers, the seat installers can paint instead. Tommorrow, when we need seat installers, the painters can
do that also. Job classes get condensed; rates of pay get streamlined. People are expected and encouraged to do more than 1 thing.

7. The executive perks must go. The corporate jets, the large bonuses, the cars, the country club memberships, etc, etc......need to stop. While, in the greater scheme of things, these probably represent a small amount of $$, the APPEARANCE of continuing to have and use these things, while you are asking for a bail-out and asking for the UAW members to sacrifice, is just plain DUMB AND ARROGANT AND RUDE. It needs to stop!!

8. Stop treating the American people like we are all stupid.
If you want us to help you, buy your product, and buy your stock, then EARN OUR TRUST AGAIN. Stop spending $$$$ billions on advertising. Stop building cars that are duplicates, with different logos on them. Listen to what your customers want and need....and then build it.

8a. Get out of the leasing business. This is costing untold $$$$ each and every day.....and only helps to put people into vehicles that they cannot afford.....that you end up with again. This cannot continue.

9. Fund research and development. Encourage innovation....infact, reward it!! Shorten the length of time that it takes to get a product to market. Look at the redundancy in your manufacturing process, engineering process, and all other processes.

10. Return american jobs to US soil. I know that NAFTA has helped Mexico, and other countries -- but in many ways, it has hurt the US workers by shifting jobs overseas. Bring those jobs back here, and allow American workers to do the jobs again, at a reasonable rate of pay. Allow American workers us to "buy in" and "share in" the profits of the company, if They do a great job, and help in making the company profitable again.

It's called an "EMPLOYEE OWNED COMPANY".
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My friends call me a "fiscal conservative Democrat". I never really thought about names attached to my way of thinking. I just think about things, and how to fix them....This is my current muddled ideas on the "big" picture problem. I don't know all the ins and outs, and there is a lot that I am skipping over. It does, however, start to lay out a framework of holding people accountable for their own destiny.

Regards,

Cheryl

Cheryl,

Had you been running for President you would have had my vote.

Your comprehensive answer was both inspiring and appreciated.

Thank you.

Dang, Lady - Send that to your Congressmen/women - Senators etc.
You've got my vote for mediator!

Rhonda & Kevin,
Thanks....and I did already send something similar to Senators Casey and Spector.

It's also not hard to come up with possible solutions when you have some facts, and figures to work with. I did a lot of digging, and try to put all the pieces together to have it make sense. I also read --- a lot -- from all fronts.

This is the viewpoint of someone who has sat on the management side of the table and dealt with the labor union issues (not with the UAW -- steel, coal, and service unions) and had to come home and explain my positions and recommendations to my long-time, card-carrying Union member father. He kept me honest, and thinking with both sides of my brain.

Cheryl

As has been mentioned, *if* this bailout goes through, which it most likely will in some form, my bet would be on that we will be at this same place with the auto companies again in 2-4 years, as they have become dinosaur's of retail producing a product that costs more than it is truly worth. No business can survive doing such without cash infusion's on a regular basis, hence the reality that this first bailout will only be a shot in the arm, and will require booster shots to keep the sickness in check.

Has anyone thought of this?

What is the public sentiment about the proposed bailout? Are there more Americans in favor or against the bailout? Let's say there are more against for the sake of argument...

So the bailout goes through, and the majority of Americans feel that they were not heard and decide to vote in a new set of politicians in two years to replace the ones that they feel are out for themselves and not the people in general.

Next, those same Americans decide "the hell with them" and boycott buying new vehicles and continue to drive and repair those that they have today. Sales decline and continue to based on anger directed at the car companies for their greed and waste. Hence the bailout is of no use in the first place...greedy consumers wake up and realize that their 3-4 year old vehicle is "good enough" and that they can get along better in a crappy economy without a car payment.

Sure the Big3 are alive and well, and with inventory stockpiles they can not sell...what good is that?

(ok, ponderous thought switch turned off)

Back to reality...

Mark:
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has given the Big 3 until Dec 2 to present to congress a comprehensive plan, with details, if they want the money.

If they present a plan...congress will be called back into session on Dec 8 to act upon it.

All 3 say that they are ready, willing and will put full forces behind providing any and all details necessary to the congress.

I'm waiting with baited breath to hear the details of their plans to use our money.

Cheryl

As always, I am thoroughly impressed with Cheryl's analysis and recommendations. The one point about the CEO's working for one dollar a year sure would make them put skin in the game. Furthermore, wouldn't it be great to do this with all the CEO's that have benefitted from the already funded bailout. And also include the many others that have been making huge money. They need to act (or be forced to act)like this is to everyone's benefit.

Cheryl, that's a well thought-out plan. As you mentioned though, there are really two big issues: the pensions and healthcare. The companies can't afford either one. For the last few years the plan was to dump the pension plans on the Federal Govt. The union is against this (obviously) but there is just not enough money. Same with the medical plan.

If they can find a way around these two issues, they could get the breathing room they need.

Again, great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.