Free Delivery - venting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey it said "venting"

Victoria said:
While I understand about maintaining one's dignity, I wonder if compromise isn't a better path in order to remain in business. Just a thought.

V

Thanx for thinking about it

enraeh said:
Thanx for thinking about it

It wasn't my intention to offend; just make an observation.

V

Does anyone remember the flower shop George Simon knows in NYC who did a complete turn around and started marketing FREE DELIVERY. The results were phenomenal for them and this shop stuck with it for many years now and they turned into a huge money making shop? We have comtemplated trying this to see what happens. I am afraid because I can't afford to lose money, but I keep thinking I just might be happliy surprised and it could be an untapped marketing ploy. Similar to the NO WIRE CHARGE many of you do except I do realize it costs more to actually deliver than wire especially on a grand scale.

Now Inka, like someone already said, tis for a season. Just when we don't get a complaint for ages and ages all of a sudden we will get three in a week or something like that and I will feel just awful. Then we go a long time again and things seem just as it should be.

In my mind

FREE delivery is a very slippery slope, that once you go down that road, you would be hard pressed to reinstate the delivery charge.

We too, just had a lady walk out, a long time customer, that thought $9,50 was way to much to go 17 miles in one direction and it got Cherie and I into the debate of including delivery in the price of the flowers.

This can be done on larger orders, perhaps $50.00 and up, but I do not think you can hide it in a $35.00 orderr and especially not in a $25.00 order. And then what do you do wiht the customer that wants to pick out their flowers, in Celo by the stem, and then they tell you its a delivery.

Free sending of wire outs is one thing, technology handles that, but free delivery is another. I have delivery setup to be a Profit Center, and in worse case a break even, offering it free, would require a 10-12% increase in sales, but then again that adds more deliveries...catch-22

One shop here in town advertises free delivery, one of my current staff that used to work there, says it is in no way free, that the cost is deducted just like labor...how do you show a $35.00 arr C/C and a $35.00 arr delivered, and make them look the same?

On a different bent , just had a lady tell me off because I couldn't give her the price of 1/2 roses in a vase and delivered in Calgary . went by postal code got the codified prices for a dozen and figured on $ 8.00-$10.00 for delivery . And no wire fee , she told me that ftd. com quoted her $45.00 total including their fee. As I know they are sucking $10.00 off the top that leave $35.00 for the shop , I know I can't do it for that nor would I expect a real florist to either . I told her that her order would probably been seen and forwarded in every shop there and she would get a call back looking for more money , but she left to call the dot.

sunny said:
but she left to call the dot.
Will be interesting to see if she comes back...

Not sure, but my guess would be that Da Dot quotes the lowest price possible, based on their direct ship pricing, plus service charge...$29.95+14.95 and your at your $45.00....could be wromg though too...

Your going tohate me. I offer free delivery in my little town but charge for just outside the city limits. I'm amazed at how many times I get, "we are in the Webb City School District, doesn't that count?" Sorry but no since our school district goes to the north almost 12 miles. I have 3 prices on deliveries, free in town, $6.00 out of town but still in the county and $12.00 outside of the county. I'm always suprised at the ones that still want me to drive to kansas to deliver flowers. OH WELL!!!!!!

Dudette!?!?!? in my 3? years o flife I don't think anyone has called me dudette! I thinks I likes it.

While we are all 'venting' here, I need to unload! I have had 2 bad days in a row and really need a bottle of cheap Wal-Mart wine. I had a tax change in our town and I caused my system to crash trying to adjust the taxes. I Had a company check to my favorite wholesaler bounce, now they are looking at me like I'm stealing. I had the drip pan under my cooler is leaking, I caught my shop on fire with a candle. I lost some artificial ivy but all else was fine. I hit my driver in the head with the hatch on the van trying to keep balloons in on a windy day. Why the hell did I get into this? My life was so nice and so happy before I opened the shop. We were poor, but happy. Now we are in DEBT and tired and stresses and not happy. I love designing, it's the rest of it that I hate, esp the cashflow. Steph

Inka said:
I don't really care if it is just ACROSS the street. fed ex gets $$ for just across the street and so does the post office why is it people balk at us?

After getting feedback from this board a year or two ago, we now do not charge a delivery fee to neighboring businesses that are across the street that we could literally walk to. If we have to use our delivery vehicle, then a fee is charged. We just consider the goodwill this small little service offers, especially since no fuel and very little labor time is spent.

The advantage we have over FEDEX, UPS, etc. is that we are more flexible with our delivery fees and thus are able to achieve greater levels of customer satisfaction.

"Ya know, I've been looking for someone to work for me for free to make our deliveries, but hadn't had any volunteers yet".

Classic! I hope you don't mind if I steal this. :)

Frank said:
The advantage we have over FEDEX, UPS, etc. is that we are more flexible with our delivery fees and thus are able to achieve greater levels of customer satisfaction.
Not to mention, WE CAN get it there the same day, and even in an hour if necessary for one helluva lot less!

thing is frank

It wasn't just across the street, it was actually 2 1/2 blocks down the 4 lane busy M road where no way you could walk the delivery especially in 30f weather. the semi trucks would blow you away.

Part of my vent is why we the small business owner is constantly pressured to do something that a person would never ask big business to do. Free delivery, extra boxes,extra filler flowers, no labor charge etc. Would anyone go to the big box and expect an extra board or two with your lumber order? Its like we have the money tree behind our store that keeps the free flowing cash coming......

It is helpful to vent, I do it all the time to my poor poor husband.:alcoholic

I think the bottom line is to hold fast to your principles, find a polite way to answer their (sometimes very rudely put) questions, and just accept the fact that you can't control what customers think about your policies - you can only offer a calm reasonable explanation about why you have such policies. Most people are reasonable, and will understand.
I also think because we have such an intimate working relationship with a lot of our clients (unlike the box store employees:unhuh: ), the are more likely to ask for "special favors". They would never ask a box employee for a favor, because those people don't give a rat's a**. You do, it's your store, your relationship, your rep. Find the best way you feel comfortable responding - I pass if off like a joke (hence the "volunteer driver" comment I posted earlier) and that works very well for me.
Vent all you want here ... this is the best place for it because we all get it. Just don't let it spill over into your day with your customers. Hang in there !
tracy

This sat on my counter for a few months..

after we raised our delivery charges. It was read by many and agreed to by most.
Would you please volunteer...
a minimum of 18 hours every Monday through Saturday...
extra hours and occasional sundays when flower holidays or funerals arise..
to drive in rain, sleet, or snow...
to be outside in 90-100 degree sunshine with humidity...
to wade through mud, standing water, jump snowbanks, unshoveled walkways, driveways, and stairs...
to be kind to all the nice doggies who nip at your heels as you walk toward THEIR home...
to provide your vehicle which must hold a 5' high design, 4' long spray, or a minimum of ten 12' diameter vases with a stability system to prevent spilling or damage...
to make sure the inside of your vehicle is above 40 degrees in winter and lower than 80 degrees in summer...
to fill the vehicle with gasoline as needed...
to provide oil changes, regular maintenance, and registration of the vehicle..
to provide the maximum business liability insurance for vehicle and driver....
to provide plastic wrapping, tissue paper, staplers, staples, and extra time for wrapping during freezing weather...
to pay the Internal Revenue Service, the State of Maine Tax Section, and Maine Unemployment Division, MY share of your taxes...
to pay mandatory Workman's Compensation Insurance premiums...
to memorize All the streets and housing developments in the towns of Millinocket, East Millinocket, and Medway...
to arrive at the front door of a grieving family..
to take one rose 18 miles one way...
to write a note telling the person who was not home to call so you may return 18 miles one way to give them their one rose when they get home...
to make sure on Valentine's Day, EVERYONE's roses are all delivered at 9.am...
If you VOLUNTEER to do all of the above......
Then we can deliver YOUR order FREE!!!!

Too true!

Love that ... may steal it and re-word it for Jersey! thanks,
t.

Yes you certainly may. Feel free to add or subtract that which does not apply :)
It did help make most customers aware of what is actually involved by a florist that is not a bucket or supermarket shop.

seasonsblooming said:
I know I know everyone bashes WS, but I still use them. I'm getting pissed off that other florist, after I send them an order for the value it is supposed to be, sends a response asking for an astrimonical delivery fee. If they say this is there delivery area, then be reasonable.

The solution to this is having Delivery charges listed per town. Not a PERFECT solution, because one town may have many zips - and, with some, del charge depends on zip.

BUT...it sure can't hurt. FTD is offering this (got a slimcast last week...) - sent mine in. Also, that forced me to re-do my minimums...THAT hadn't been done in many moons...

(yea, yea, I know - before some of you say it, too little too late - but hey - it's being offered and tried by one of the big 2....if you don't sign on for it, then it's on you to explain delivery charges in text, etc...)

- H.

We offer a Free Delivery promo during holidays, and in some advertising. We have found that it is a proven tool in generating orders, given the market we are in...need to compete! No, we do not take it out of the order. Nor do we hide it somewhere - every cost to the customer is shown on the invoice...no skimmin' off the product!!! I set up a special product code for each FD promotion I use, with their own G/L numbers. That way, I can track the cost of each promotion, and see if it works. Yes, can get costly, but we manage. The cost of fuel, wages, vans, etc. someday will prevent this practice, but for now, we use it. We do have some rules with it as well: usually a $40~50 min order (depending on the media used, time of year, etc.), no timed deliveries, not valid on wire outs.

About the ''cross the street' deliveries...our policy is if it's in the block, or within walking distance, we do not charge for delivery. If it has to go on the van for ANY reason, delivery charge applies.

Some valid points on this post/venting venue! But, as others have said, FD works for some, and not for others. AND, is often abused by the cheats of the world...

- H.

Walking Distance

Our funeral home is within walking distance from the shop. We walk some deliveries and take the blazer for larger or multiple deliveries or when we are going somewhere else anyway. One of our funeral directors was hassling me one day (jokingly) about how much we were making by charging delivery to the funeral home. I just smiled and said we all have to stay in business! Then, at my mother's funeral, there was debate about family members driving cars to the cemetary (2 miles away) and the funeral director -also a member of my church and definitely professional associate- offered the FH's car "because we want to do this for your family". When the bill came in, the charge for this 4 mile car ride was $97.00. I told him he didn't have to do ANYTHING else for my family, and that was why I would continuet to charge a delivery fee to the funeral home.

Donna

Status
Not open for further replies.