Oct 31, 2002
Chesterville
State / Prov
ON
FTD Florists to Benefit from New Online
Sympathy Program for Funeral Homes

A Partnership with Funeral Homes Located in the U.S. and Canada
Will Drive More Orders to FTD Florists
FTD has entered into an exclusive agreement with Batesville Casket Company, the leading provider of caskets, cremation products and funeral home websites, to provide customized, co-branded floral websites to licensed funeral homes in the United States and Canada.
sympathy.jpg
"This program represents a unique and innovative opportunity for both FTD and the funeral service industry. FTD will provide a nationwide system for ordering sympathy arrangements to a market that has not always enjoyed a consistent, quality, branded experience," said Rob Apatoff, President of FTD Group, Inc. "Thousands of funeral homes and their customers can benefit from easy, online access to a full range of beautiful arrangements designed and delivered by FTD’s nationwide network of artisan florists, and supported by its quality customer service."

The new program is available exclusively to funeral homes that utilize Batesville’s WebLink™ websites. Participating funeral homes will receive a co-branded floral website, custom-designed and hosted by FTD, which prominently displays the funeral home’s name and brand. Consumers can easily access the new floral website to place orders through a link on the existing funeral home website. Tailored for the funeral industry, visitors can choose from a first-class assortment of FTD sympathy and funeral arrangements and gifts including flowers, plants, sprays, wreaths, gourmet foods, and gift baskets.
If you have any questions, contact FTD Member Services at 800-788-9000.
To view the entire press release click here.

And the plot thickens who's next????

FTD offering Custom Websites to Funeral Homes

Press Release this morning:

FTD Partners with Batesville to Provide Revolutionary Online Sympathy Program For Funeral Homes

DOWNERS GROVE, Ill., Nov 03, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- FTD.COM, Inc. ("FTD"), a subsidiary of United Online, Inc. /quotes/comstock/15*!untd/quotes/nls/untd (UNTD 6.34, +0.08, +1.28%) , has entered into an exclusive agreement with Batesville Casket Company, the leading provider of caskets, cremation products and funeral home websites, to provide customized, co-branded floral websites to licensed funeral homes in the United States and Canada.

"This program represents a unique and innovative opportunity for both FTD and the funeral service industry. FTD will provide a nationwide system for ordering sympathy arrangements to a market that has not always enjoyed a consistent, quality, branded experience," said Robert Apatoff, President of FTD Group, Inc. "Thousands of funeral homes and their customers can benefit from easy, online access to a full range of beautiful arrangements designed and delivered by FTD's nationwide network of artisan florists, and supported by its quality customer service."

The new program is available exclusively to funeral homes that utilize Batesville's WebLink(TM) websites. Participating funeral homes will receive a co-branded floral website, custom-designed and hosted by FTD, which prominently displays the funeral home's name and brand. Consumers can easily access the new floral website to place orders through a link on the existing funeral home website. Tailored for the funeral industry, visitors can choose from a first-class assortment of FTD sympathy and funeral arrangements and gifts including flowers, plants, sprays, wreaths, gourmet foods, and gift baskets. Orders can be placed either online or by calling (877) 212-3610.

"FTD is the most recognized national floral brand with an expansive network of member florists and significant expertise serving consumers, both online and offline. This combination of brand recognition, expertise and broad network membership, coupled with Batesville's experience in funeral service, creates a compelling offering that is unsurpassed in quality and convenience," said Troy Brake, VP and General Manager of Batesville Interactive.
Interesting timing for today's announcement since FTD's Q1 numbers will be released later today. MY guess is the UNTD team will be mentioning the partnership during the conference call.

This 'partnership' s definitely not good news for local florists... just a bunch more competitors showing the same products seen on FTD members' websites.

You really believe that? 100% orders that used to flow to shops now coming in at less than $.70 on the dollar.

What about all the 'timed' issues regarding funeral services?

Remember, if a shop misses an FTD order delivery, they must PAY FTD 100% cash value of the order.

Don't forget, the site will also offer drop-ship flowers, plants and gourmet items, too... diverting more sales from local stores.

I agree with Cathy, FTD is looking to get a cut of what used to be 100% local business. Yuck.

I think they are a day late and a dollar short. 800flowers did the same thing a while back with some of the largest funeral homes in the country. What they did was get the funeral homes to add a link to 800flowers sympathy section.

Our local funeral home in our town did just that. They are owned by a large chain of funeral homes. We have been an 800flowers florist since 04 (getting ready to terminate as of 11-12) and we have not receive a single order for this funeral home to date via 800flowers.

I merged the two threads to consolidate the conversation.

As I mentioned on the Facebook page, I was intrigued by this quote:
"This program represents a unique and innovative opportunity for both FTD and the funeral service industry. FTD will provide a nationwide system for ordering sympathy arrangements to a market that has not always enjoyed a consistent, quality, branded experience," said Robert Apatoff, President of FTD Group, Inc. "Thousands of funeral homes and their customers can benefit from easy, online access to a full range of beautiful arrangements designed and delivered by FTD's nationwide network of artisan florists, and supported by its quality customer service."

So, the florists that Apatoff keeps putting at the centre of his motivational speeches are at the same time not capable of providing quality and consistency. But, they are good enough to fill these orders, of course :)

Here's the page from the web hosting company describing the new FTD Program.

It includes:
- The ability for the funeral home to choose which florists you want to receive your website orders
- An industry-leading assortment of only florist-delivered arrangements
-
A customized, co-branded online floral shop that prominently displays your funeral home’s brand along with FTD's brand
- Dedicated customer service representatives specifically focused on managing phone orders for sympathy products.
- Best-in class commission schedule, offering 15% commissions on every flower order placed on your funeral home website or by phone when the purchaser uses the FTD toll-free number displayed on your funeral home's website
So apparently there is no drop-ship after all.

Will be interesting to see how the 'choose which florist you want' works out. Will FHs get a list and then pre-select a designated shop? That would tend to make other FTD shops in the area pretty angry.

Also interested in seeing if there's an additional service charge and/or delivery charge per order.

You really believe that? 100% orders that used to flow to shops now coming in at less than $.70 on the dollar.

What about all the 'timed' issues regarding funeral services?

Remember, if a shop misses an FTD order delivery, they must PAY FTD 100% cash value of the order.

Don't forget, the site will also offer drop-ship flowers, plants and gourmet items, too... diverting more sales from local stores.
Yes, I do really believe that.

(my focus is always on larger markets. I can see how in a small market with only one or 2 florists, this is very bad. In Winnipeg, we have 29 FTD florists and probably about 10 funeral homes of any consequence. Interestingly enough, there were only 26 FTD florists a few months ago)

Being a member of a wire service is to be a part of a system where you rely on them to provide you orders. While some choose to get their own orders (me included), those that are subscribed to the wire services are seeking this type of order from them. Additional funeral business at higher $ volume is a great way to eat up the membership and other fees more quickly.

For the larger shops that currently are capable of creating contracts with funeral homes, this is a bad thing, but for the average florists (<300k in sales) who are members, I would bet this will be helpful for them, especially in the larger markets.

Regardless of what everyone thinks here, there are still 1000s of members who believe it's a great way to get orders and will welcome this change with open arms. Many of these florists don't have this business because they don't have the know how to get it in the first place, and they don't have the ability to change. Their option is to let the wires get it for them, or go out of business. I know some of them personally and I would tend to agree with their decision in many cases.

We have to remember that not everyone is as capable as others and contrary to popular belief here, the wire services are good for many florists for a plethora of reasons.

Here's the page from the web hosting company describing the new FTD Program.

It includes:
So apparently there is no drop-ship after all.

Will be interesting to see how the 'choose which florist you want' works out. Will FHs get a list and then pre-select a designated shop? That would tend to make other FTD shops in the area pretty angry.

Also interested in seeing if there's an additional service charge and/or delivery charge per order.

the numbers look similar to the ones I posted here but this time FTD gets some $ and so does Bates...........I do think that a lot of the larger FH's already have their own web sites, and many also have deals with florists getting a 20% kickback, so will they opt for a free web site and only a 15% kickback? I don't think so, but it may effect some of the smaller FH's who will weigh the advantage of a web site to the 5% difference in kickbacks.

I posted about this about a month ago... SCI corp of Dignity Memorial Providers had gone to FTD.... I bet that this is all part of the same plan...

FYI... They are still paying the FTD Floirst with a credit card per order as of date. Funeral home does not have an FTD book to show clients as of yet.

I posted about this about a month ago... SCI corp of Dignity Memorial Providers had gone to FTD.... I bet that this is all part of the same plan...

FYI... They are still paying the FTD Floirst with a credit card per order as of date. Funeral home does not have an FTD book to show clients as of yet.

Please clarify.....is SCI paying the florist directly with a company cc?
Somehow this does not sound the same at all, as all these orders will start as internet orders on the funeral homes website that is provided to them free by Batesville.

Please clarify.....is SCI paying the florist directly with a company cc?
Somehow this does not sound the same at all, as all these orders will start as internet orders on the funeral homes website that is provided to them free by Batesville.

SCI CORP is going to have FTD stuff on their website also... it's just not there yet. SCI is the big corp with all the Dignity Memorial providers. I am sorry I am not so eloquent with words.. but the pieces of the puzzle will all fit eventually.
http://www.sci-corp.com/SCICORP/home.aspx. SCI sells batesville caskets. SCI sells flowers through their packages at their funeral homes. Websites not up to date yet... but their will be a connection in the big picture.

It's OK if you don't agree with me... But why is it that they can only work with an FTD Florist ???? Beacuse they have a deal some how with FTD.

What I would like to know is, Do funeral homes actually get business from their websites? Our local FH have nice websites and we use them for obituary info. Its's a great convienence but I don't think I would choose them for my service because of the website. I don't see my Funeral homes giving up control of their sites to make a small profit off of potential flower sales. It's a lot of time and work to keep them updated and personal.

I just threw the GEN mesage in the trash, but it also says that thru a link on the websites that are not thru Batesville Caskets, consumers would be able to order online. So SCI websites will probably remain the same, they will just add a link that says something like send or order flowers here.

A lot of out of town people actually will search for the funeral home to get directions and end up at Google Places to the localized webpage and from there they will see the link to order flowers.

Reactions: LOTAKIDS
SCI CORP is going to have FTD stuff on their website also... it's just not there yet. SCI is the big corp with all the Dignity Memorial providers. I am sorry I am not so eloquent with words.. but the pieces of the puzzle will all fit eventually.
http://www.sci-corp.com/SCICORP/home.aspx. SCI sells batesville caskets. SCI sells flowers through their packages at their funeral homes. Websites not up to date yet... but their will be a connection in the big picture.

It's OK if you don't agree with me... But why is it that they can only work with an FTD Florist ???? Beacuse they have a deal some how with FTD.

BBJ was only curious WHY would FTD be "paying" members with a credit card, INSTEAD of the clearinghouse.......no need to be defensive Karen...you are MORE than eloquent enough!..:)

I have not heard that. Do you mean if they reject?

FTR, the current Batesville demo site redirects to USAFlorist.com for ordering. USAFlorist.com is owned by From You Flowers.

For the sites that are live will they have to change to the FTD's version?