FTD........going after funeral business

The "short" of this scenario is this:

It is NOT in the best interest of a retail florist to be an FTD affiliate in todays floral world.

FTD is cannibalizing any segment of the industry they can.

Reactions: anytimeflowers
The "short" of this scenario is this:

It is NOT in the best interest of a retail florist to be an FTD affiliate in todays floral world.

FTD is cannibalizing any segment of the industry they can.

a company like FTD, is no longer the place it once was, and even the dinosaurs tried to run for cover when things started to rapidly cool!

I have seen mortuaries that had their own flower shop close their flower shop. If people really wanted to order flowers from them they should of been able to continue to make a killing. But thats not the case.

So a funeral home will now have a way to have their own hosted website with FTD. Good for them.

I like to see them spend the time optimizing their websites to compete with mine.

Bring it on bit chs!!

Funeral Home > FTD > FTD Florist > Crapy Flowers

Local Florist > 100% kick as s designs.

Funeral Home > FTD > FTD Florist > Crapy Flowers

Local Florist > 100% kick as s designs.

Here's my marketing plan to "my" funeral homes and why the FTD gig won't hurt me that much. I'm on a first name basis with all the funeral directors at each home and make a point they know who I am. I attend the FD meeting, I see them out, etc. I an not the florist of choice for many of them, because I do not choose to pay them 30 - 40% or over inflate the prices. I dont not want to have a customer see and price diffrence, it will close you store, I promise you. Several times a year I call a catering buddy of mine and send him to funeral homes with food on a friday. He calls ahead and finds out how many working. He delivers the food and then says, " Rick and the gang at A Floral Boutique" appreciate all you do for them. I can't tell you the response you will get if you do this. Next, I offer a $25 gift card to Outback steakhouse (which the local owner/proprietor of Outback, Oliver Garden, etc. will give you for FREE) for every referral of a family. Don't give them flowers, give them something that no competitor will. I recently saw a FD of the largest FH at the car wash, I bought his car wash. It cost me $10 bucks, you would think I bought a new Lexus. On all family services where I do the family work, if it big, I send one, two, my car, etc. whatever it takes and i move the family flowers myself! Monday of this week a FH called, "we've got delviery logistics, we need help", within 30 minutes I had both trucks there helping them move a large funeral. Florists have lost the "heart" for appreciation and if you bring that back, customers will flock to your store. Our job is to go from "an unwelcomed pest, to a welcomed guest". Put that up in your desgin room in big bold letters. I have that one up along with "great customer service is like making love to a gorilla, you don't quit when your satisfied you quit when the gorilla is satisfied". I'm sorry but FTD is in my rear-view mirror on these things.

I love the energy you young guys bring to this industry. It is badly needed.
I think we are now going to see the birth of funeral directors as order gatherers.

This gets more interesting by the day....

Probally has something to do with turning 40 this year.

I know I'm still a young whipper snapper!!!

This topic will be part of SAF's Ebrief this week or next I think ;)

This topic will be part of SAF's Ebrief this week or next I think ;)

This weeks Hot Topics
Funeral Homes Say No To Local Florist And Yes To FTD.com
In a bold move this week FTD has cut a deal with Funeral Homes accross the country to discourage customers from buying from local FTD Florist. A spokesman says that this way FTD.com and the Funeral Home gets the money from these orders putting more local florist out of business.

Teleflora encourages New Gourmet Basket Deal Through Gift Tree!
Teleflora has partnered up with the online order gatherer Gift Tree.com. Yes you can now be affiliate of Gift Tree.com and show their gourmet baskets on your Teleflora Hosted Website. Sources say that giving our local teleflora members a way to keep Gift Tree in business is our way of thanking sucker florist that continue to keep us in business with more fees and less profatbility then ever!!

Yep this has been such a great week!! I can't wait to see what next week brings!!

Hold on there Eric...
Teleflora encourages New Gourmet Basket Deal Through Gift Tree!
Teleflora has partnered up with the online order gatherer Gift Tree.com. Yes you can now be affiliate of Gift Tree.com and show their gourmet baskets on your Teleflora Hosted Website. Sources say that giving our local teleflora members a way to keep Gift Tree in business is our way of thanking sucker florist that continue to keep us in business with more fees and less profatbility then ever!

I thought ALL of Teleflora's offering were HAND DELIVERED by a local florist??? That's what THEY claim anyway...

WARNING THREAD DETOUR
Recently, eFlorist members were offered a new way to serve their customers: By providing gift baskets from GiftTree.com on their sites. Now, you can offer a wider selection of gifts for your customers to choose from through the eFlorist Gift Basket Program.

Sometimes, customers are looking for a special gift to commemorate an event or send their regards, but they may not know if flowers are appropriate. If you can offer alternative options you're more likely to keep the sale, whether it means creating a custom bouquet or offering a gift basket of food or wine.

GiftTree.com offers one of the world’s largest selections of handcrafted gift baskets, great for any occasion. All of their gifts are backed by their 100% satisfaction guarantee and range from fresh fruit baskets to wine baskets, with items in all price ranges.

Here’s how it works:

◦Florists sign up with GiftTree at http://tf.gifttree.com/dropship/signup.php. It takes just a few minutes to enter their information and get started.
GiftTree will contact Web Services to activate the gift basket category on the shop’s site. Within a few days, the category will appear and the shop will be ready to sell.
◦When a customer orders a gift basket online, the shop receives the order the same way they receive everyday floral orders from their eFlorist site.
◦From there, the florist logs in to GiftTree.com's secure eFlorist Reseller System to enter the order information. The florist only needs to enter their business credit card information once. It is then saved in the account information, so they don’t need to re-enter it for future orders. After ordering, the florist will receive an automatic email with the order number confirming that GiftTree.com has received the order.
◦To ensure same-day shipping, orders must be entered into GiftTree.com's eFlorist Reseller System before 4:00 PM (CST). The cutoff time on eFlorist websites has been set to 2:00 PM (CST) to allow at least 2 hours to submit the order to GiftTree.com. When the order is shipped, the shop receives an email with tracking information. That's it!
I thought Teleflora was against drop-shipping. Why would they partner with someone who does this?
Teleflora is adamantly opposed to the practice of wire services fulfilling orders themselves instead of sending them to florists. To be clear, Teleflora is NOT participating in drop-shipping in any capacity. The GiftTree / eFlorist gift basket program is specially designed to allow our member florists to merchandise a popular gift category on your sites. Although GiftTree fulfills the order, florists are the ones who receive the orders and benefit from a 30% price discount. Our goal in working with GiftTree.com is to give you a wider array of products to offer your customers with minimal effort on your part.

What’s the benefit?
You can offer your customers an expanded product line, all without having to carry the items or handle the shipping yourself. Gift baskets are displayed on your site as their own category, so your customers never leave your site to shop.

Why should I merchandise these items on my site?
Customers appreciate variety, and the more gift options you can provide to your customers, the better. Gift baskets are popular items and GiftTree.com’s are some of the best. The gifts range from charming cookie tins to keepsake containers filled with luxury items such as champagne and caviar. The additional items let your customers know they can count on you for all of their gift-giving needs. The best part: You don’t have to stock any additional products or handle shipping!

What does it cost?
There is no fee to enroll. All you pay is the standard fee of $3.45 per order. eFlorist members receive a discount of 30% off the MSRP for each item, excluding shipping fees. In addition, you can set your own custom pricing for the items for a higher profit if desired.

Do I have to set up a custom category or products?
No, all you have to do is sign up at http://tf.gifttree.com/dropship/signup.php. We’ll set up the category for you.

How will I receive the orders?
Orders will come through the same way flower orders on your eFlorist site do.

Will GiftTree market to my customers?
No, GiftTree will NOT market to your customers. GiftTree will fulfill and deliver gift orders to the recipients as instructed but will not market to the senders in any form. Please rest assured that GiftTree will not “steal” your customers.

May I see the product lineup?
Certainly! To see which products will be carried on eFlorist sites, please visit http://tf.gifttree.com/products.php.

Can I manage this using eSAT?
Like any other category, you can activate and deactivate it using eSAT. You cannot, however, alter the product selection within the category.

Where can I learn more?
If you did not receive an email with information about this exciting new addition to the eFlorist program, you can visit http://tf.gifttree.com/program_overview.php for full details.

What if I have further questions?
Our Web Services team is available to answer questions about your site, but if you have questions about any GiftTree products, GiftTree.com's dedicated Reseller Customer Service Team is available to help with any order questions or issues by phone and email. Call 1.800.430.8216 or email [email protected]. The team is available Monday through Friday, 5:00 AM to 5:00 PM (PST); Saturday, 6:00 AM to 3:00 PM (PST); and Sunday, 6:00 AM to 2:00 PM (PST).

To learn more about GiftTree and their selection of gifts, please visit www.gifttree.com.

Will GiftTree market to my customers?
No, GiftTree will NOT market to your customers. GiftTree will fulfill and deliver gift orders to the recipients as instructed but will not market to the senders in any form. Please rest assured that GiftTree will not “steal” your customers. http://www.gifttree.com[/url].

I don't believe this part for a second. Sorry

Great for some people............................I think we have to quit allowing our customers to be re-directed away from our profession, which is flowers............

Reactions: FANCIES and concord
WARNING THREAD DETOUR
Recently, eFlorist members were offered a new way to serve their customers: By providing gift baskets from GiftTree.com on their sites. Now, you can offer a wider selection of gifts for your customers to choose from through the eFlorist Gift Basket Program.

I hate this DOG and will not fill their orders.... always underpriced and ALWAYS problems... NOW Teleflora is supporting them this way.... GREAT!

Maybe we need to start a new thread for you TF folks.... to ME, it looks like you are already filling Gifttree.com's "daily orders"... yes they sell for same day delivery...

Are these TF images? (I don't think so)(but maybe)...

"Fun with wire services".... I love it...NOT~!Gifttree.png

Having worked in the death care industry for one of the large national companies, I can tell you the number of programs like the FTD/Batesville joint venture are increasing greatly. There are companies in Miami drop shipping casket sprays and other sympathy pieces to Funeral homes as well. Now more than ever, it is important to secure a very good relationship with your local Mortuaries. In a medium sized city (150,000) one Mortuary can provide you with $750.00 to $2000.00 per week in business. Of course this is enough to get the corporate buzzards circling.

Mark, looks to me like a mish mosh of images, some tf some 800, not sure if some are FTD...