FTD: The good, the bad, the ugly???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe - the reason I added links to webgifts on my site was looking for additional sales.

My thought process was that there is a faction of people who wanted drop ship items.

Amazing the price some pay for it as well - yesterday I sold a Black Forest cake and the vig was very close to $100.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that person was going to buy flowers anyway. And the way webgifts is structured you get the same commish on an outgoing order as any flower order.

Now a local sale is a different animal...I also would rather they buy flowers, but if it is an incremental sale I would not have gotten otherwise - I'd rather sell them a gift basket. Yes even drop shipped.

I may be wrong, just my opinion on it.

and you know what that wacko bloomz sez about opinions...

bloomzie, i am bored today and am just trying to find something to argue over. The web gift thing isn't horrible.

I suppose I could go out in the greenhouse and tell one of the staff to sit in the shop a do nothing, but what the hell. I am paying them for work.

joe

Reactions: bloomz
bloomzie, i am bored today and am just trying to find something to argue over. The web gift thing isn't horrible.

I suppose I could go out in the greenhouse and tell one of the staff to sit in the shop a do nothing, but what the hell. I am paying them for work.

joe

I think Bloomz is saying if the sender/customer was adamant about not buying flowers or plants and wants a gift basket.... then the choice is gift basket from his shop (30% margin) or gift basket elsewhere (0%).

OR

Order in the items and make it in the shop, and have the leftover to sell, b/c you bought a case of each gourmet item (end result probably 0% profit, unless you already regularly sell gourmet/gift baskets).

I think, well hope anyways that some floral shop owners could look at this as adding something very good to their store. Not only being a flower shop but a gift shop also. And having no inventory and making a 30% margin is 100% profit. We have very high quality baskets, these are no "dollar store" type items.

And thank you all for your opinions involving this. Like ive stated many time this is what I'm here for :nod:

I think, well hope anyways that some floral shop owners could look at this as adding something very good to their store. Not only being a flower shop but a gift shop also. And having no inventory and making a 30% margin is 100% profit. We have very high quality baskets, these are no "dollar store" type items.

And thank you all for your opinions involving this. Like ive stated many time this is what I'm here for :nod:

If a shop wants to do this, they can go out and buy the stuff per theme of the order and do it locally.

It isn't any different than flower shops making fruit and gourmet baskets.

for those I take a 100 pct markup.

joe

oh and one other point.

the flower business is mainly based on quick turn around time.

Most of my orders come in the same day they are delivered to the recipient. Your mail order shipping might be too slow for many shops.

joe

geez joe, not pulling any punches...Anyways a local florist will not be able to go around and get most of the specialty products we have. And I would think that they wouldnt want to have that hassle. We will have packages in the mail the same day they are ordered.

no i'm not! :)

joe

btw: dealing with a headache and lower back pain today, as well

I think poor Joe is cramping and his breasts are sore.....

Ohhhhh! So that's why you're cranky. Don't complain about us PMS-ing chicks. Men with pain or an illness - waaay worse.

hey, I don't mess with that girly PMS stuff, I get UMS. but today wasn't one of them. just slow and boring doing computer stuff.

joe

ugly mood swings, usually happens once a month when paying the greenhouse heating bills.

Reactions: 1 person
geez joe, not pulling any punches...Anyways a local florist will not be able to go around and get most of the specialty products we have. And I would think that they wouldnt want to have that hassle. We will have packages in the mail the same day they are ordered.

so, I can't always get all the flowers that I need for a specific flower arrangement all the time either.

florists adapt and substitute.

sorry, your package in the mail might be a day late for time sensitive purchases such as Anniversaries, Birthdays, Funerals, Weddings, etc.

You wanted someone to start answering your questions, well today was you lucky day. Everyone got bored with the WS argument that consumed most of your thread and I just brought it back around to your original post.

You have to ask yourself, do you want an honest answer or someone to say your product is just fantastic and that all flower shops will love it.

I am just giving you some other issues to think about before you start advertising this to flower shops.

joe

Mood, I will say this about Joe

You will be hard pressed to find a more astute businessperson on FlowerChat than our Joe.

There are others of course who I would regard as very astute businesspersons on FlowerChat as well.

Regarding gift/food baskets that are pre-made or purchased pre-assembled....like yousr for instance.....It has been my experience with customers that the majority of fancy gourmet type products are tossed and not eaten at all.

I know I have had far more success in creating and selling gift/food baskets composed of junk/snack foods over fancy gourmet products.

Regarding It has been my experience with customers that the majority of fancy gourmet type products are tossed and not eaten at all.

I know I have had far more success in creating and selling gift/food baskets composed of junk/snack foods over fancy gourmet products.

Rick, my experience is opposite to yours. My gourmet items are very well received and are asked for in reorders.

V

Victoria......I would think that the difference in experiences is due primarily to regional tastes and preferences. As some of our South Carolina Flowerchatters can attest.....We are in the middle of "redneck central".

If you have ever heard the southern comedian Jeff Foxworthy......most of his comedy is not too far removed from truth.

Love Jeff Foxworthy. ;)

V

Moody,

One possibility you might consider is contacting FTD for them to sell your products online. Whether true or not I don't know for sure, but I heard FTD is looking for partners that not only could drop ship for them but also offer items that could be integrated with local florists for same day delivery, something that might be up your alley.

Whether you could actually provide florists with your product or simply provide selling material might be a good selling point with them.

On the down side FTD probably wants to work on higher margins than 30%, maybe more like 40%.

RC

Status
Not open for further replies.