FTD: The good, the bad, the ugly???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to the forum, some of you might know through my introduction thread that I work for a gift basket company. We are starting our retailer counter top gift basket program and would really like some input.

What are the things you like, don't like, hate, or just plain bother you about the FTD and other services like this???

Any input positive or negative would be very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Jeff
www.amoodforyou.com
:help:

How exactly does your company work?

Drop ship or hand designed?

Percent based or pay for product?

Who keeps accounting and how is accounting done, clearinghouse or per order/cc basis?

To answer Jeff's question...

The things that bite about FTD and other wire services are the fact that we make the order, we handle the order we deliver the order and we get the smallest piece of the pie....WS also bite because they compete against us for the very orders that used to be ours...

A program like yours is very very different...a florist will make 30% on products that they never have to stock, take a chance on, make, get or deliver...as long as the shipping goes fine it is a win for the florist because it bites when you put your companies rep in another delivery companies hands and they drop the ball, the customer has no way of differentiating between the two...and people are way to used to florists having better than stellar delivery service...same day and all. As long as you do not start trying to take their flower sales from them it should be fine...

Many florists, make their own baskets and still others can't find that they are worth their time...the latter are the florists you would want as your customers..

Reactions: A Mood For You
How exactly does your company work?

Drop ship or hand designed?

Percent based or pay for product?

Who keeps accounting and how is accounting done, clearinghouse or per order/cc basis?

We have a 20,000 sq ft wharehouse on site that we keep all our baskets in. And also have people putting them together all day. We drop ship them out same day. The business that makes the order gets 30% of the retail price. The customer pays you for the basket and we take the 70% from your account plus shipping per order.

This thread did not turn out quite how I wanted it to :newbie

As I mentioned earlier, anything related to wire services will take on a life of its own.

V

It all depends...I am finding that my incoming has dropped so much that the margins are getting very tight on making any profit...I was doing about 100 WI a month and now down to 20-25 non-holiday months...all the services are boostong membership and the florists are signing on to get a few more orders to not have to layoff and taking away so many from the existing members...The WS numbers are falling just like ours and less volume and more members means a dip in even more orders...I am painfully watching my profits dwindle down to barely worth the effort from keeping my busy and afloat...I have been watching the numbers for 3 years and the last 4 months are painfully close to costing me money...so close that at any moment I may have to make the hard decision...

We're experiencing a pretty sizable drop in incoming as well.

We have a 20,000 sq ft wharehouse on site that we keep all our baskets in. And also have people putting them together all day. We drop ship them out same day. The business that makes the order gets 30% of the retail price. The customer pays you for the basket and we take the 70% from your account plus shipping per order.

Just an idea....why not "drop ship" to the florist and have them hand deliver the product, instead of shipping straight to the customer? That way the florist can put their own stickers on, saving your company the trouble of figuring out how to implement that, and the whole thing is personalized for the customer AND recipient. I guess there would be an extra shipping charge that would have to figured out....

Just an idea....why not "drop ship" to the florist and have them hand deliver the product, instead of shipping straight to the customer? That way the florist can put their own stickers on, saving your company the trouble of figuring out how to implement that, and the whole thing is personalized for the customer AND recipient. I guess there would be an extra shipping charge that would have to figured out....

I think that is difinetly something we can look into. And even do it on a floral shop to different shop basis. as in some florists who want that we can do it for and some you dont we can ship straight to the consumer. I think that the shipping charge would have to be something that the floral shop would have to work out for their customer themselves. And it could be away for you to make extra money.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this matter?

So, the customer pays the 15.00 service charges to the d'OG, The WS pays 20.00 to the d'OG, the WS retains 3.50 of the 50.00 leaving 46.50 for the filling florist.
Am I correct so far?
The WS then takes an additional 20 percent of that 46.50 leaving 36.90 in actual dollars for the filling florist.
Am I correct still?

More or less.

Without reciprocity fee, filling florists get (73% of $50) - $1.50 = $35.00
With reciprocity fee, filling florists get (68% of $50) - $1.50 = $32.50

The filling florist has to fill that order for the 50.00 total minus their amount for delivery. If the delivery fee is 5.00 then the florist fills the order for 45.00 product total.
45.00 minus 36.90 leaves the florist a shortfall of 8.10
Am I correct still?

No.

To fill and deliver a $50 arrangement, the cost would be:
$5 delivery (I take your number here)
~$15 flowers and supplies

Total cost = ~$20

Since you get paid $35 (see above), your gross profit is approx. $15, or ~30% of the order.

To calculate your net ("real") profit, however, WS monthly fee must also be considered.

That's where order volume comes into play.

Many small florists might be receiving only ~30 wire-ins a month for a monthly fee of ~$300. That is, their order-acquisition cost is ~$10 ($300 / 30 orders).

So the net profit for this florist would be:
$15 (gross) - $10 (monthly fee per order) = a whopping $5.

This is typical. Shocking, but typical.

Correct me if I am wrong.... but I am receiving $35 (actually $36, I believe, 72%) for an order transmitted to me via the dove for $50.

73% of $50 - $1.50 (order transmission fee) = $35

So in my case even if I get an order below SR, like say $50 for a dozen roses. I have a standing order of $.38 60cm freedom from Miami, plus Armellini freight brings me too $.44.

$5.28 roses
$1.17 vase
$1.05 gyp
$1.00 greens
$$.80 vase packer box, celo
$3 delivery pool fee
$1.87 designer wage (1/6 of 45 min to make 6 rose arr's at $15/hr).

Not that it matters much, but the arrangement labor should be approx ~10% of order $ (in this example, $5), because designer's wage always contains idle (non-designing) time. They don't work at max efficiency. Even though it might take only 8 min for them to make a rose arr, they are also spending, on average, ~15 min to do nothing.

Idle time should be included to calculate the labor cost. The only labor that should not be included is the sales labor for incoming orders. That's why the industry averge, ~25% labor, is an overestimate for wire-in orders, IMO.

$14.17 COGS.

~$17.50 (give or take)

I was paid $36. This does not add to any fixed costs I am already incurring, b/c the product is in my cooler and the driver is already heading to the pool warehouse daily. Profit... $21.87.

Or more likely, the gross profit is ~$17.50 or 35% in this example ($35 minus $17.50 cost).

Since you are receiving >200 wire-ins a month, your order acquisition cost is very low, probably in the range of $1-2, i.e., $400 (monthly fee) / 200. So the net profit would be ~$15-$16 ($17.5 minus $1-2).

Give Goldfish a gold star please for cutting thru the crap in his inimitable, albeit often over-analytical way.....

However, you are assuming zero outgoing making incoming pick up all the membership fees.

Not typical I would think. Doesn't everybody have at least 10 or 20 outgoings a month?

Good post Goldie.

Now lets extend the excercise.

Where is the break even point as defined in units.

Break even point = FC/selling price minus variable unit cost.

so if a florist wants to find out how many orders they need to accept in order to break even with the WS they need the above formula.

if membership is your Fixed cost and that equals $300

and your avg selling price is $50 and your variable unit cost is 10 pct labor and 30 pct COGS.

you now know that it will take 10 orders or $500 in WS sales to Break Even.

all additional orders will go towards Contribution Margin Profit, which will make you more profitable.

joe

Give Goldfish a gold star please for cutting thru the crap in his inimitable, albeit often over-analytical way.....

However, you are assuming zero outgoing making incoming pick up all the membership fees.

Not typical I would think. Doesn't everybody have at least 10 or 20 outgoings a month?

Not all of us, NO!!!!

ditto, nope - tis rare when I have 15 outgoing (December + May maybe)

Has there ever been a poll on that? Would be interesting to see the quantities of incoming and outgoing anonymously.

Would be even more interesting to cross reference that with overall store revenue...

ie. size of shop vs. wire outs

This is Feb 17th, I've sent out 3 orders so far this month. I have one to call out for the 22nd and it will be direct to a shop that has taken care of this order for over 20 years (they're FTD, I'm not)

As I mentioned earlier, anything related to wire services will take on a life of its own.

V

and "someone" wanted admins to "get involved"......HAH!!

Reactions: 1 person
Darn I hate to see this thread wind down.....it's been a blast

Reactions: duanermb
Bloomz,

It's winding down because I gave up.

The problem as I see it is people like Joe will do OK filling wire orders. He has a 100 year old shop in a small town with not much competition. You will do ok as well as long as your ordergathering business stays profitable. Shops like Goldfish's will probable eventually give up and get out of the flower business but will be replaced by someone else that will be convinced they can make a profit filling incoming orders as well. So, the cycle will continue on.

As for me, I'll probably give up replying to this type thread. Instead, I'll just sit in front of the computer screen and roll my eyes when I read the things I read.

RC

Status
Not open for further replies.