Google+ Business Pages are out

CHR

Design matters
Nov 28, 2002
Anaheim
www.avantegardens.com
State / Prov
CA
Like we don't already have enough to keep up.....

Google+ pages for business has been launched.

I hastily created one for our shop, just to get it going.

Matt McGee did offer some important advice today about small businesses and Google+ pages. An excerpt:
It’s fun to play with a shiny new toy, especially when it comes from Google. But…, I wouldn’t get too excited about this just yet. Ask yourself this one simple question:

Are my customers and prospects using Google+?

In my experience, Google+ is still very much an early adopter service. I don’t know a single, non-tech industry person who has ditched Facebook or Twitter in favor of Google+. Plenty of my SEO and online marketing friends have switched over to Google+, but none of my U2 friends have. None of my wife’s local/real estate friends have left Facebook.

So, grab your page there. But don’t get too excited about it just yet. Remember the Golden Rule of Social Media: Be where your customers are.
There are a lot of florist registered on G+, but they hardly post. I'm not really seeing customers there, either (except for a few tech nerds :) )

When creating the page, you'll first be asked for your business phone number. Our Places Page data popped up right away, so that was easy. You'll next be asked to add an image. Be sure to have your logo ready (and it's a pain to resize through the interface... at least it was for me.)

You'll already need a Google+ personal account and be logged into it to create the biz page.

Bottom line: Claim/create your page, add a bit of content and then watch to see if the content is indexed. If it is, add more content. If not, don't spend a bunch of time on the page.

Probably a good idea to NOT repeat posts word-for-word from your website or other social media sites.

If you create a page, post it here and I'll add it to one of my circles. :)

way too much tech stuff for me to keep up with. I can't even blog at a fairly decent rate. Now gotta work more on my website instead... that I can at least handle.

It started out easy for me but then I ran into problems. I put in the city and phone number and my google places came up but then I noticed it was showing the wrong address even though the right address is on my google places listing-google + showed the same city -but not even close to where I am. I tried changing and deleting but nothing worked. I went back and started over and the same thing happened so I just gave up for now.Tried the contact button for google help and got the message- we cannot provide help in your language- which is English!
Will try again when I have more time.

Dianne

Dianne, is THIS your places page? I can tell by the design shown that it's one of yours :)

However, when I went to edit it, the website address it directs people to is www.flowerartisan.com ~ is that your site?

I did not have to enter my address, just my phone number. Did you check to make sure it was YOUR places page? Did you hang on to the address that was actually showing up? Something is strange there, as if someone has created a places page using your info. Was the phone number correct?

Google has made it possible for anybody with a google profile to edit any places page. Someone may have edited yours to redirect. There are several "recent" edits, click on the "MORE" tab under your name and address, select "SHOW ALL EDITS" and see if any are not yours. I do see that the language has been changed, but it appears to still be English.

Hi Linda,

Yes that is my place page and my website is www.flowerartisan.com and there is nothing wrong with my google place page- only the google + page.I have recently aquired the domain name for artistry in bloom but when I first set up the website it was taken so I went with flowerartisan instead so that's why the name is different. I put my phone number and my google place page came up but when you click on the adress showing for google + it shows Pandora Ave and not Derby Rd which is correct and on my google place page. Apparently there are still a few "bugs" on google +. Also with the recent changes on Google Places the main floral design that shows up is one I removed years ago because it was one of my first designs and I don't like it because I didn't know how to take pictures then and it was squished up against the wall and looks rediculous. I finally was able to get rid of that picture a few years ago and now it's back. I can't remove it because it doesn't show up in my 10 pictures when I go in to edit because it really doesn't exist. I just wish there was some way you could email or pick up the phone and talk to google because there are some weird things going on and there is nothing you can do about it.
I will probably play around with google plus later tonight and see if I can figure it out.

Dianne

Well I got the address thing on google + sorted out but now I can't get information from my other google accounts . I can still get google analytics but I can't get my adwords account. I wanted to set up a new campaign but nothing comes up in my google account for adwords now.When I signed into my accounts all I get is google +. I called adwords help because they are the only google dept you can talk to and the guy couldn't get it to work either so he has had to pass it on to someone else to see if they can fix things for me hopefully tomorrow because it is too late now. He said there are a number of glitches happening because of google + so if I were you I would wait a few days before you sign up until they can sort things out.

Dianne

Reactions: anytimeflowers
OK, so I got on Google+ this morning (thanks Ryan) I'm HERE I think...

Where/how do you do a business page? And how the heck do you find folks? I tried a few and don't find the usual suspects...

ADDED: Ok, so all this created a "conflict" in Google, resulting in two different accounts both with my same email address (hence the conflict), and now I can't get back in without resolving the conflict. Not sure how to do that.

ADDED AGAIN... or is it THIS ONE ?

If I did it right I just sent you my florist circle Mark. It has over 100 florists and florist pages in it. You can click on the circle and add it to a circle of your own. Then those folks will see that you added them and can choose to add you back and put you in one of their circles :)

As far as creating the place page I clicked the link that CHR posted and just navigated through to creation. I am sure there is an easier way and someone will come along with it :)

Enjoy!

Reactions: anytimeflowers
If I did it right I just sent you my florist circle Mark. It has over 100 florists and florist pages in it.
Got it, thanks... nothing from you Rick...

Somehow I have TWO different pages going at the moment, I'm my own friend on one.... and Ryan too... LOL

well, I think I got it. Now I know why facebook changes were made... crud. Now as with facebook, I'm just clicking in pages as friends and business pages as following?

Mark, you should have a profile page (that would be personal) and the business page. Pretty much just like facebook. You toggle between the two by clicking on the little arrow right by your profile picture. Did you use the same profile picture for both your personal and business pages? I did two different ones so I could lessen my own confusion. I have everybody in both of my circles too. The one where you are your own friend would be your business page.

I'll take a look and see if I can find you.

Rick ~ what are the names you used to set your pages up?

Got it, thanks... nothing from you Rick...

Somehow I have TWO different pages going at the moment, I'm my own friend on one.... and Ryan too... LOL

Yes Mark, you DO have two profile pages. Keep the one that already has 124 people in your circle. Go to the profile on THIS one and delete it.

Then follow THIS link and set up your business profile. It should ask you to enter your phone number and that should retrieve your places page.