Green Background on website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing I would think about is matching the look of your website with your stationery. Your look in the community should be consistent. Printing your name on your paper supplies is one of the least expensive ways to market your shop. Plus people will be able to attach your website to your shop because it has the same look.

Reactions: pfmflowermarket
Melanie, You are doing fine. One step at a time. Everyone's potential priorites are not what is important to you. Only you know where you need to focus the most. Fixing your website is needed, and will be a very helpful addition to your business. Just do not allow pretty distractions to cloud what you HAVE to be taking care of. Make sure your financials and back bone business decisions are being handled properly. You need these the most to succeed.

As to the green on the site, if it's better green than white than change it. Do the quick changes you can to fix it up then leave it go. Take a good look at Ryan's(Infinite) suggestions, and weigh what you should do. If a major overhaul is needed, you don't want to just keep patching it up.
To me, it's like scurrying around to straighten up the house when company's coming. Do a quick polish and move on. But all the basics of running the household still need taken care of, and keep your focus on that.
Business and website wise.

I have to give you credit for your inner strength. I don't know if I would have continued to post through the heat you took here. Regardless of your intentions or anyone else's, seeing negative comments about yourself are not easy. Give yourself credit for stamina and a willingness to learn. Best of luck. ~Melissa

Worked Hard on the website today..

How's it coming along? Am I still heading in the right direction? I've made alot of the changes that you guys have mentioned. Some of the things I can't figure out how to modify so those'll take some more time and thought. Thanks again! :cool:

How's it coming along? Am I still heading in the right direction? I've made alot of the changes that you guys have mentioned. Some of the things I can't figure out how to modify so those'll take some more time and thought. Thanks again! :cool:
I'm so happy the building is gone! Good work!

Giiiirl, you rock! That is the most amazing transformation, by a do-it-yourselfer no less, in such a short time, that I've ever seen! I had looked at your web site when you first started posting here on FlowerChat. Remember when you were getting reamed because of your 20 questions?

Well, you let it roll off your back and kept at it - taking the advice to just post one question at a time. And look what it got you - a lot of great advice about fixing your web site. But you really deserve the credit for making it happen. I can't wait to see it when you're finished tweeking it.

I wish I could "borrow" you for just a couple of weeks. Your youthful energy and exuberance are inspiring. I believe you are going to do a great job with your business. Maybe we can have a new section here in FlowerChat called "Melanie's Flower Shop Evolution." I know I'd be checking it every day.

Melanie, Just lost a lengthy, detailed post re. your website. I'll try and do it again later.

But it is nice to see you are using some of the ideas, from the free website homepage I emailed to you. (ie. frames around your pic's)

I'd suggest that you make a menu like the one I sent you, put 4 to 6 example pic's on your home page, and a listing of cities/zip codes you deliver to. In short fel free to use the home page design I sent you.

I'll post more detail about where and how to get pic's of flowers and balloons onto your site later.

Carolyn

Wanted to get on Flowerchat last night, but my internet was down...I just knew that some of you would have something to say! I'm glad that is was all good things! Yeah ....next things I want to work on is maybe separating the pictures in my profiles...too many on one page...maybe separating fruit baskets from like get well arrangements, etc.

You guys give me strength to want to do better! I ran around the shop putting together some of the pictures and the whole time all I could think of is oh god what bad things are they going to say about this one....haha You guys have become like the angel and devil sitting on my shoulders.

Don't know if I'll get to working on the website more today. I have insurance forms to send in and I've been really bogged down with this bronchitis/pneumonia that myself as well as many others in my city/town have this time of year. The chest congestion, coughing, sneezing, stuffy nose, ear blockage, fever, and hot and cold flashes haven't been able to stop me yet! Today its taking its toll however. We've heard that some toddlers and older folks are getting it so bad they are landing themselves in a hospital bed. Hope you guys had a great weekend and have a great start to next week if I don't get to talk to you soon. Got to be to work in 45min and I'm not even ready. Take care guys.:handball:

I think it looks great and just as a by the way, i love that black stand you have in your shop. I think that would look great with just lots of same colour items on (which you probably do).

Keep on going, just like we all are!!

Thanks to all of you guys for your continued support!

Palms- I believe the black rack you are referring to is a black circular one with mini cubby's. The previous owners made it. Its so huge and heavy. It isn't even attached together. If we want to move it to another spot in the shop we have to move it in pieces. It can be unstable at times so we have to be careful of what we put on it. I believe the picture on the website has baby items on it. Currently it is in the center of our shop with a mixture of our more expensive vases showcased on it. We have done baby, poinsettia, ceramic containers, tropical flowers, silks, add on items like stick balloons and picks. Very versatile! I just wish we could attach lights under each kinda shelf part to focus some light on the object we are trying to display.

Melanie,

Are you using Trellix Sitebuilder???? I have reviewed their site offerings and they appear to be limited, and they are making silly mistakes in their layouts. ie. not centering, pages too wide, those kinds of things. Also it looks like they are charging you for the priviledge of making your own site.

I would suggest that if you really want to do it yourself, please consider using attyahoositebilder/small business. It offers many more options, it's free and there are several of us on FC that have used it, and can help you.

For example check out Erics' site www.everydayflowers.com made with yahoo sitebuilder, he has done amazing things with his and he changes it constantly.

PM me if you want help.

Carolyn

Thank you. I played around with yahoo sitebuilder before buying the shop and wasn't having much luck so came across Web.com program with a years free hosting so thought that was a good offer. The web.com program is very similar to the yahoo one. Very plug n' play. I've been fairly happy with it. They have just recently added the e-store capability to their plug n' play format. The money would go to a paypal account? Anyone have anything good or bad to say about taking money through paypal account? The hosting fee's are pretty cheap so I'm happy there. Just have to get the shop standardized so we can put pictures up on the web and get e-commerce so we can be making money from it. Don't get me wrong we get people calling the shop after looking at the website just not able to buy directly from it.

Thanks again!

Melanie my dear, we are going in circles here. Please look at Ryans post #12 in this thread and do whart he says. He makes websites, and would not tell you wrong.

Also, look at Eric Shaws' site www.everydayflowers.com made with yahoo sitebuilder. It's loveley and he changes it all the time.

Yahoo hosting is cheap $9.00 mo. first three months, then 11.87 I think.

Unless you are married to your poorly made green site, ditch it, and let's get started on making you a nice functional one.

We could start a thread of "Watch Melanies Website Be Created". In this case I don't think Ryan would mind our getting into his boat a little bit.
What ya think Ryan, Can we use Melanie as a learn website stuff thread?
Everyone that knows website stuff could make suggestions.

Again Melanie, please, ditch that site and go to Yahoositebuilder, and lets get started.

Carolyn

Melanie my dear, we are going in circles here. Please look at Ryans post #12 in this thread and do whart he says. He makes websites, and would not tell you wrong.

Also, look at Eric Shaws' site www.everydayflowers.com made with yahoo sitebuilder. It's loveley and he changes it all the time.

Yahoo hosting is cheap $9.00 mo. first three months, then 11.87 I think.

Unless you are married to your poorly made green site, ditch it, and let's get started on making you a nice functional one.

We could start a thread of "Watch Melanies Website Be Created". In this case I don't think Ryan would mind our getting into his boat a little bit.
What ya think Ryan, Can we use Melanie as a learn website stuff thread?
Everyone that knows website stuff could make suggestions.

Again Melanie, please, ditch that site and go to Yahoositebuilder, and lets get started.

Carolyn
Here's my standard reply:

If a young bride was trying to make her bouquets with the cheapest flowers she could find and no design experience, how long would you go before telling her to use a professional florist?

In many ways small business websites are at a point that is parallel to when colour printers became affordable and suddenly every business was plastered with poorly made (and often poorly spelled ;)) 8.5x11 announcements.

You would never let a rookie with no design training to do your store display. Your website will reach 100x more people in a day than your store display. How are you really representing yourself and your business to the customers?

Ryan

Ryan,

Completely understand your response. Melanie wants to do it herself, for whatever reason.

Most people have no idea how much work goes into creating a professional website. Much less the SEO.

I give up Melanie, we have all tried to help you to understand the importance of "perception" with regard to your site, you don't seem to get it, so do what you want to. It's your deal.

Reactions: 1 person
Where is that poor horse again?

V

Yeah "Job" is my middle name Victoria.

Oops, I'm feelin kinda poxy, the cat doesn't look so good, the grass is dead, and my kids just called sick......as Mr. Bill would say, "Ohhhh Nooooooo"!!!!

I'm diggin the hole and pushin that darn dead horse in!

Carolyn, aka Job to some and Princess to others (and you know who you are)lol

My God is an awesome God.

When someone spends a lot of time trying to give SOLICITED advice at no charge, then I expect something more than what this person is giving. She is not meeting my expectations in this thread or in others started by her.

If someone wants the help and depends on the courtesy and knowledge of others then at least have the sense God gave you to use that information. If that someone CHOOSES to ignore that advice and continues to ask for help... well, my thoughts are no longer for polite company.

V

Status
Not open for further replies.