Home "design" trend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People slamming the floral industry was a statement in general, brought to mind many TV spots I have seen posted online where reporters and others boasting "Don't get ripped off by flower shops, order candy" or whatever. The negativity against using a local florist is getting ridiculous.

Encouraging others to try their hand with flowers is one thing, but saying you don't really need a floral designer or your local florist? Who's going to make that casket piece or sympathy spray for your loved one's funeral and the funeral is tomorrow?

Bloomz, if the shoe fits.....

Trish

Trish,
With all due respect, I think you're overreacting to this. No where does this article say that people should be doing their own funeral arrangements! As a matter of fact the title of the article and the first line clearly states:

content_shadow_top.gif

Bouquets brighten your home; Flower arranging does not require a professional florist.

Most people love cut flowers and would love to fill their homes with fresh bouquets, but many people still feel intimidated by the design process."

This article is clearly using the "flower arranging does not require a professional florist" statement in the context of designing flowers for one's home.

I refer back to Darrel's comment regarding baking. Why is it ok to have tons of shows about cooking and baking and sharing recipes but not ok to have any information for working with flowers at home? It would be ludicrous for the restaurant industry to come out and complain that all those shows on Food Network were the demise of their business! Now, if a restaurant served bland food and overcharged for it-they may go out of business-but not because of any DIY cooking show. As long as the consumer sees VALUE in going to a restaurant, there will be a need.

I seriously cannot see how this is "slamming" the industry. It's good publicity for the industry. Anytime flowers get publicity in a positive way, it's reinforcing that positive association to consumers everywhere!

Maybe we aren't talking about the article anymore-maybe this is personal.
If that's the case, I still feel that bringing this article to this forum is a valuable thing. We should all be aware of what's out there and what kind of perceptions consumers have of us and our industry. Even if we don't like it or agree with it. If we don't pay atttention to the "pulse" of the consumer we are really in danger of becoming obsolete.

I believe Jon has stated on many occasions that he values good design and quality. I know he seems to beat a dead horse, but what I have always taken away from his posts is that "artistic design" is not necessarily what the masses of consumers are looking for. Is there a place for it? Yes. Is it something that the majority of shops can make their bread and butter on? Probably not. How many people buy couture design? How many shop at Old Navy and Gap and even Walmart instead? Would we like to buy designer clothes? I know I would if I was rich! But, in the meantime, I'll buy whatever clothing I find that offers some elements of style and quality that I can afford.

As much as some of us don't like it, the floral industry DOES have parallels to other industries out there. It's just that for many years, there was only one go to market strategy for selling flowers. What if, in history, restaurants were the predominant way of getting our food? What if there was very little hunting for our own food and no place like a grocery store to get the raw ingredients to do our own cooking? Then someone sees the opportunity of selling the ingredients directly to the consumer at a lower cost so they could make their own food! You bet the restaurants would be screaming! "We want our customers back!" "It's not fair that the grocery stores sell the food at lower prices than what we charge!" Now, only the restaurants that offer value to their customers are going to survive. Some well run, high end places will still survive as long as there are people who appreciate it and can afford it. Some super cheap places with so-so food will survive because it's all people can afford or want to spend. And, for those who fall somewhere in the middle, they better be offering a value to their customers. The right balance of quality, price, etc. There is a lot of room for different niches in this category-it's just striking the right balance-and perhaps the hardest place to be of all.

The cat is out of the bag. There is no going back.

Just my opinion. I'll get off my :soapbox: !!

Sandy

You have many valid points, the posting of the article itself was not the sore spot here for me, although it did hit a vein as well, it was much more the moving away from meaningful discussion AGAIN into an opportunity for someone to demean design abilities. Why this is such a temptation is beyond me, so many of us here depend on our abilities for our livelihood. Even if we're not selling a high end design, it still takes a trained eye to get that cookie cutter right and the proper use of coloring.

A thread may start out as a so so thing and if it isn't interesting enough, then the sniping about designers and picking a fight starts. If people can object to the constant bickering about the pro/anti wire service dilemma, I should be able to voice my opinion about this. I do ignore a lot and then, here it comes again, good grief. I'm all for keeping informed and want to read about what goes on out there, but can't we keep on topic without the nitpicking to start a squabble AGAIN?

This message board has been an invaluable help to me, I can't even begin to tell you, but does it really have to be someone's private playground? It seems to me there was quite row over this just recently and a few people left.

Reactions: 1 person
Even if we're not selling a high end design, it still takes a trained eye to get that cookie cutter right and the proper use of coloring.

Good point: While I understand the need for some cookie cutters, there are many florist, designers and DIY's that cannot produce a good cookie cutter. In fact, I think at least half of the florists cannot make a professional cookie cutter.

Carol Bice

P. S. This is based on the fact that I have visited so many shops throughout the country and see the work in hundreds of shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.