Home "design" trend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would imagine it's what she wants to bring home.

As for the article. I'm with Sandy. There was nothing in there that wasn't interesting and valuable information for someone who wants to put flowers in their surroundings. And for me, that's never a bad thing.

It's helpful to know the context from which this article came... an advertising tool and a great one at that.

I'd rather give out "state" secrets so something will look lovely, than laugh into my hand at an amateur attempt with unfortunate results. There are good chances some will come in to my shop to ask for help and while there, spend money. They win and I win.

Even in basket world, if someone wants advice, I give it freely. It generally works out to my advantage in the end.

V

Not taking anything away from the article - I'm of the same opinion.....if it helps to get my flowers in the customer's home......I'm all for that.

My point JB is the same as in the cars and roses thread........obviously something other than just price and availability is being utilized here.

Now, just out of curiosity - the flowers that your wife brings home - mostly monofloral bunches as you say. Knowing the average phillipine mindset very well......having worked alongside both gentlemen and ladies.......Are those arrangements what the husband TELLS her to bring home or are they what she WANTS to bring home.

RWK, That's a cheap shot and presumptious of you to assume you know about her preferences or lack there of because of her race.

FYI I like the florigene booth, but it has nothing to do with the conversation in the article.

To me that is what many of us would aspire to do in our in shop classes, or blogs. And for the record I took home flowers for the first time in many months yesterday and they were hot pink sweethearts and some pitt. Done in a simple little crystal vase, and very MS style.

A style that works well in my home, on my kitchen counter, in my everday life. Like lots of people I know. My sister loved them so I am taking some home with me today for her, to put in her own vase on her counter.

Ok, I'll concede that I could have phrased it better. I apologize.....cheap shots are never my intention.

I like monobotanical arrangements as well. Usually in my house that is what I make for myself.

I think monobotanical arrangements are peaking in popularity right now.

Just like the "little wads" of flowers for bridal bouquets were are so popular for much of the 90's up until now and are still popular, but cascades are making a huge comeback!

it just all runs in cycles.

I just hope the "red carn, white and yellow daisies, with statice and babies breath and a pound of leather" never gets back in style!!

I weekly spend the $5.99 at our towns only Grocery Store for white Alstromeria. They know who I am and the floral girl always sets a prime bunch aside for me from the rest. I applaud their source, heck half the time I don't even need the bunch because the last is still going strong. I just take them because I know the girl is applying good customer service, why discourage that.

I love white Alstro, it's a gorgeous flower all by itself.

So I was washing dishes just now and thinking about this thread.

I think the reason it's upsetting for some is the "you don't need a professional florist anymore comment"

Coming from a professional florist, that statement pretty much sucks.

Maybe if the context was "Design like a professional florist" it would be better?

I don't know, just thinking out loud like Bloomz.

I was thinking about something else..

Someone said People who cut their own hair or change their own oil can't afford to have it done professionally.

Well, my hubby does all his own work on his vehicles, and has gotten so aggravated with hair stylists we started cutting his hair about 8 years ago. I used to do it and then he figured out to do it. He keeps his hair super short.

The point is, Every time he has taken his vehicles in to have something done, something else mysteriously needs to be fixed..
Every time he'd go to get his hair cut he'd come home pissed off because one side was longer than the other or what ever..

We can afford to pay for both services, but have repeatedly gotten such bad service we decided to do it ourselves.

Just some more food for thought.

Now, just out of curiosity - the flowers that your wife brings home - mostly monofloral bunches as you say. Knowing the average phillipine mindset very well......having worked alongside both gentlemen and ladies.......Are those arrangements what the husband TELLS her to bring home or are they what she WANTS to bring home.

Ricky - let me make this very clear - I wear the pants in my household.

She tells me which ones to wear tho...

Or, put a different way - she wears the panties in my household.

I would imagine it's what she wants to bring home.

It's helpful to know the context from which this article came... an advertising tool and a great one at that.

V

Of course she does what she wants - she's the florist - and do those florists ever listen to us non-florists? - they know what people want, remember? [/tongueincheekcheapshot]

FYI I like the florigene booth, but it has nothing to do with the conversation in the article.

A style that works well in my home, on my kitchen counter, in my everday life. Like lots of people I know. My sister loved them so I am taking some home with me today for her, to put in her own vase on her counter.

My point exactly - and I guess I missed the florigene point.

Ok, I'll concede that I could have phrased it better. I apologize.....cheap shots are never my intention.

Not to worry migo - offense not taken

I like monobotanical arrangements as well. Usually in my house that is what I make for myself.

I think monobotanical arrangements are peaking in popularity right now.

Given that - and given it doesn't take skill to make them - this concerns me a bit.

I weekly spend the $5.99 at our towns only Grocery Store for white Alstromeria.

What??? YOu mean you don't go spend triple the price for Florist Alstro? Don't you know how much better our flowers are??? (sic)

So I was washing dishes just now and thinking about this thread.

I think the reason it's upsetting for some is the "you don't need a professional florist anymore comment"

Coming from a professional florist, that statement pretty much sucks.

Maybe if the context was "Design like a professional florist" it would be better?

I don't know, just thinking out loud like Bloomz.

I was thinking about something else..

Someone said People who cut their own hair or change their own oil can't afford to have it done professionally.

Well, my hubby does all his own work on his vehicles, and has gotten so aggravated with hair stylists we started cutting his hair about 8 years ago. I used to do it and then he figured out to do it. He keeps his hair super short.

The point is, Every time he has taken his vehicles in to have something done, something else mysteriously needs to be fixed..
Every time he'd go to get his hair cut he'd come home pissed off because one side was longer than the other or what ever..

We can afford to pay for both services, but have repeatedly gotten such bad service we decided to do it ourselves.

Just some more food for thought.

Thank you.

I found it a bit unsettling as well, that's why I posted it. You examples underline the necessity of cherishing our customers, and crossing every t and dotting every i, don't they?

Reactions: 1 person
Of course she does what she wants - she's the florist -
[/tongueincheekcheapshot]

Hey Jon... you know I was talking about your wife right. It was a response (veiled I admit) to Rick's statement. :)

V

Reactions: bloomz
Sure I did Vic....thank you - you're absolutely right - I would never tell her what kind of bouquets to make

and my cheapshot was back at Reekee................

Reactions: Victoria
Since this is an open discussion board, I also reserve the right to state an opinion if certain people feel the need to take constant swipes at so large an element of designer professionals on a message board, I can reply in like manner. I do not resort to constant cheap shots, I am direct and to the point in expressing myself. It's too bad that professional florists consider it good fun or instrumental to their business to undermine the credibility of good design, especially at a time when our industry is hurting from so many directions. If this attitude is allowed to prevail we can count on many more businesses closing and losing gifted designers. I know many people that go into the floral business not to just be around flowers or to make money, it's because they are artists and are creative. I would not want to in any way be associated with negativity or undermining of someone's life goal and hard work. Many of us have spent our whole lives, or a good portion of it, bettering our abilities and our value to our businesses and jobs, it would be well noted for people to consider that.

Reporters or other professionals that have the public eye, that offhandedly slam the floral industry in general need to be slapped, they may have cost people their businesses or jobs, I think they need to held accountable.

I have been involved in many different artistic endeavors over the years, maybe I am more appreciative of that element of our society, I would no more attempt to crush that spirit in someone than to crush a living puppy. I am also therefore, more sensitive to the attempts of individuals with less than stellar intentions to demean it in order to better their own situation.

Red dot me if you want, I could care less.

Trish

Did anybody notice those great glass round containers?

This article was written by Susan Ramsey and was in the Victoria Times Colonist paper on 11 July. She is a florist www.ramseyflowers.ca .
She is in the Homes section of the paper every Saturday. It is a full page complete with colour pictures of the arrangements and vases.
I should have checked out the Times Colinist website before I started this to see if you can bring up the article with pictures.
Every Saturday she has the full page and she shows several designs and rates how hard they are to do.
She has been doing this for years. I am envious of the exposure she gets. Can you imagine how much a weekly full page add in the paper with colour photos would be?
He shop is high end and in Oak Bay where money comes with the territory.
I noticed she had some vases on her website that were $500 for the pair.
I kept the article. I guess I could scan the pictures but I'm not sure how the white on white peony picture will scan. I am used to these articles since she's been writing them for years.

Dianne

Did anybody notice those great round glass containers showing in a couple of her pictures? Kinda like mini budvases, all connected in a circle? I'd be interested in knowing where to get some.....

Hi Sloan,

The round containers are called Centipede Circles. They come in different sizes and they also come in a line instead of a circle. You can get them at www.hofland.com in Ontario but I'm sure other wholesalers have them as well.

Dianne

Did anybody notice those great round glass containers showing in a couple of her pictures? Kinda like mini budvases, all connected in a circle? I'd be interested in knowing where to get some.....

Pretty sure you can get them from www.accentdecor.com Didn't have time to look.
Sandy

Reporters or other professionals that have the public eye, that offhandedly slam the floral industry in general need to be slapped, they may have cost people their businesses or jobs, I think they need to held accountable.

I look at this particular article differently, I don't see where the writer "slammed" the floral industry. The title of the article: "Bouquets brighten your home; Flower arranging does not require a professional florist". What is not true about this? How is this and the content of the article "slamming" the industry?

Does baking a cake require a professional baker? I think most here have baked a cake or two in their lifetime and have been receptive to some DIY baking tips, is this disrespectful to the baker who dedicated his/her life to the art of cake making?

I found this article to be interesting and at the very least sparked some interesting conversation. It's healthy to discuss and not ignore the trends of our industry.

I apologize for being a bit dense, but what exactly is meant by this comment?

Your reply would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ditto that - should I take that personally?

People slamming the floral industry was a statement in general, brought to mind many TV spots I have seen posted online where reporters and others boasting "Don't get ripped off by flower shops, order candy" or whatever. The negativity against using a local florist is getting ridiculous.

Encouraging others to try their hand with flowers is one thing, but saying you don't really need a floral designer or your local florist? Who's going to make that casket piece or sympathy spray for your loved one's funeral and the funeral is tomorrow?

Bloomz, if the shoe fits.....

Trish

Status
Not open for further replies.