Status
Not open for further replies.

bloomz

Nov 12, 2002
Corvalis
State / Prov
OR
I am so with you Ob1!

It doesn't matter how many articles people read, the regular every day person cannot and will not design like I can. In fact, I can walk them through step by step, and they still couldn't do it! They always come back and say "I did what you told me but it didn't look like how you did it."
Then they say "I guess I should just leave it up to the experts."

yep!

yet another affirmation that design matters!

I feel the same way Shannon and Joanne - However, we are designers - The way I read the article, it did not focus on design - but just simple displays of fresh flowers........almost 'cookie cutter' styling???

You would be surprised at the number of people that cannot make a bow or do a cookie cutter, I remember when I was one of those people, had to learn how to do it the right way before I was happy with it. You may find people that have no idea of what even looks good so they won't care, it's a flower in a vase. There are also many people that try to make it look good but just can't and they care how it looks, so they give up and bring it back to us. Takes practice, floral design isn't something you learn over night, like computers, cutting hair, cooking, you name it.

Trish

One point/deal I got from it is, think of the simple monofloral Martha/Home Living mags are featuring.

Why I think bloomz could even "design" one of those. Why I can even buy those bunches of all the same flowers in - the grocery store!

There is a sort of a trend toward that type of design in case none of you all "artistes" have noticed.

*wink* :smoke

Reactions: Connie
Sure, people are learning to keep a vase stuffed Martha style in their homes, or learning how to float a couple of flowers in a bowl. I don't mind one bit. I'd prefer they purchase the flowers from a flower shop, but at least they're buying flowers! If I can get my little peice of the world using flowers all the time, it means they'll cme to me more often, for hostess gifts, or to take home oFriday night or whatever. Kind of like what they have been doing in Holland for generations. And from what I hear from my family in Holland, the shops are doing OK. They don't even try to compete with the flower markets, they offer something unique.

This might interest you. As it happened, Florigene sponsored the coffee bar at symposium this year.

Now, We know you can buy purple, violet, and lavender carnations and mini-carnations, lily grass and bear grass from the grocery store, simple black ceramic containers can be found at the local craft store.

So......Nothing special or unique in materials used.....so.....What made the difference?

Attachments

• 2009 AIFD - 00629.jpg
    2009 AIFD - 00629.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 2009 AIFD - 00158.jpg
    2009 AIFD - 00158.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 2009 AIFD - 00159.jpg
    2009 AIFD - 00159.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 2009 AIFD - 00160.jpg
    2009 AIFD - 00160.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 39
The article is just poorly written and the author really didn't check their facts. A lot of it is subjective as well, and the author completely contradicts themselve's by claiming there are no rules for design and then listing a bunch of do-s and don't-s which are, in fact, rules.
I think it is funny that the professional florist is thrown out of the window, but not some great reference books. No! those are crucial for anyone wanting to become an inspired designer.
What I do like to see is people discussing flower arranging and having arranging parties. It is good for the flower business, even if the florist was thrown out of the window. Most locals look to me for flower care and questions because when asked, the grocery store clerk looks at them like they have three heads.

Another insight: Most people will skim such a long article instead of absorbing every word of it. Physcologically, they will only pick up on one or maybe two details of the long list.

Bloomz, I still find it upsetting though.

Carol Bice

Reactions: Connie and bloomz
This article was written by Susan Ramsey and was in the Victoria Times Colonist paper on 11 July. She is a florist www.ramseyflowers.ca .
She is in the Homes section of the paper every Saturday. It is a full page complete with colour pictures of the arrangements and vases.
I should have checked out the Times Colinist website before I started this to see if you can bring up the article with pictures.
Every Saturday she has the full page and she shows several designs and rates how hard they are to do.
She has been doing this for years. I am envious of the exposure she gets. Can you imagine how much a weekly full page add in the paper with colour photos would be?
He shop is high end and in Oak Bay where money comes with the territory.
I noticed she had some vases on her website that were $500 for the pair.
I kept the article. I guess I could scan the pictures but I'm not sure how the white on white peony picture will scan. I am used to these articles since she's been writing them for years.

Dianne

What I think that is "interesting" is that such simple "designs" can be shown and that anyone can do it at home, but exactly who came up with the idea to begin with, especially the things on this woman's website. Well what do you know, it was an actual florist that used vials on a tree with specific flowers in them, or they had an upright clustered grouping with a low grouping. Anyone can duplicate this, but it took a floral "designer" to come up with the idea so everyone else could copy it.

Yeah, anyone can throw a bunch of flowers in a vase, what's so special about that except that it's cheap and it looks cheap I cringe when I see a vase full of dyed daisies crammed into a cheap vase in a nicer business lobby.

It's too bad Bloomz doesn't have something constructive to do at work than to try and constantly annoy designers with silly digs. Why aren't you hanging out at the grocery store trying to figure out how you can steal their business, or standing on a street corner handing out flyers for your store? It would probably produce better results than just nit picking here.

Cuz I'm busy here trying to figure yout how I can steal your business?:dunno:

Some actually consider my posts thought provoking - sorry to trouble you that way.....wouldn't want to burden you...with...you know....making you.....guess not....never mind

Now how abut a red dot and a thumbs down and a suggestion you use the ignore button?
:headbang:

PS I didn't write that article by the way, but a couple of us may have gleaned an idea from it and her motive for writing it but you missed that so never mind again.

Reactions: 1 person
Scan back in this thread JB.......See my posting featuring the Florigene carnations?

What do you think makes the difference between those arrangements and ones spoke about in the article?

Personally, I agree with almost everything in this column.

"Bouquets brighten your home"- yes, flowers certainly brighten up any place!

"Modern arrangements are far more natural, never contrived. Inspiration comes from nature"

"A handful of the same variety of flower is an easy arrangement for any setting, be it traditional or ultra contemporary. Containers come in any size, colour, shape and even price range now. Easy. Well, easier."

"DO match the personality of the container to the personality of the flower."

"Pairing flowers with containers that support the character of each flower will bring out the best in both. Pretty flowers such as peonies, sweet peas and roses look wonderful in pretty vases such as cut glass or delicate ceramics."

"Large blooms standing in the air seem to defy gravity. Each flower has a visual weight. The larger the flower, the lower it should be in the arrangement. For instance, an open lily bloom should sit lower in the arrangement than a closed bud."

Hmmm....upsetting and radical stuff.

No offense, but some of you sound downright paranoid. She's talking about putting flowers in one's home so that they can be enjoyed more often for heaven's sake!

THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO ONLY "DO IT YOURSELF" AND THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO WILL ONLY USE PROFESSIONALS BUT MOST FALL SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN.

Why this fear that if more people buy and enjoy flowers you are going out of business? I think the opposite is true. The more people see what a positive effect flowers have, the more often they will want to send them, buy them, give them. The more often flowers are seen as a "must have" the more demand there will be!

Maybe it's the comment about "flower arranging is no longer the closed domain of the professional florist" but this proprietary attitude that flowers should only be handled by "professionals" is pretentious.

A lot of people change their own oil in their cars. QuickLube is still in business.
Some people cut their own hair. Salons are still in business. We live in DIY times.
Some people who cut their own hair can't afford to go to the salon. So should those who can't afford to buy a $40 arrangement every week go without flowers? Or should we encourage everyone to enjoy flowers in whatever way they can? This article is helpful to those who would like to make their flower experience a little better.

As long as flowers are seen as valuable in our society, there will always be those who see the value of good floral design.

Sandy I am with you and you saved me a long post, TY.

Bicey said it best... I can wash my car, but not going to do it.

Promoting flowers is a good thing! Martha Stewart made my business better and more profitable. How many people out there REALLY learned flower design from Martha and stuck with it? Not many. But they remember how flowers made them feel or how it made their sister feel when they took them flowers. In the B&M industry, the better you do the better I do is how I look at it.

Just because it doesn't fit into some people's cookie cutter world only means one must examine the word - evolution and not be so stubborn or blind to see the world changing around them. It is a true entrepreneurial and capitalist spirit when you move towards trends, if they aren't busy setting them not AND complaining how it doesn't fit their comfortable 'business as usual' mold.

Scan back in this thread JB.......See my posting featuring the Florigene carnations?

What do you think makes the difference between those arrangements and ones spoke about in the article?

I'll bite - what?

If you're talking about far out design, great, but part of the point here is that the Martha Look of a bunch of flowers stuffed into a vase is gaining/has gained a huge amount of popularity and I don't really see far out design making that much ground in the consumer world.

I think design appeal is moving/has moved toward simplicity.

Daze and Sandy are right, but look at much of TF's newer offerings and someone tell me they aren't heavily influenced by that MS look/popularity. And - it ain't because they don't have broad appeal (read as: sell well).

I like Martha just fine too and her raising the awareness of flowers.

I've mentioned this before but it perhaps bears repeating...

My wife is a very talented designer who can do floral art with the best of them, and we nearly always have flowers in our home in several locations - but what do you suppose she makes for our home?

Martha looking monoflorals.

Go figure :dunno:

I thought it was an interesting point of view in the article and perhaps something to be aware of, as well as it was pointed out, perhaps a good marketing technique.

In case it went unnoticed - I like provoking thought - Trish doesn't.

Oh well....:headbang:

My point JB is the same as in the cars and roses thread........obviously something other than just price and availability is being utilized here.

Now, just out of curiosity - the flowers that your wife brings home - mostly monofloral bunches as you say. Knowing the average phillipine mindset very well......having worked alongside both gentlemen and ladies.......Are those arrangements what the husband TELLS her to bring home or are they what she WANTS to bring home.

Status
Not open for further replies.