Status
Not open for further replies.

mb0509

Oct 27, 2006
Weymouth
www.europeanflowercompany.com
State / Prov
MA
My new site is up, although I am still working on the seo, tags, additional images, etc.. It's a little scary to switch from the TF site to my own, sometimes I think what if I screw it up? I used some seo tools and found one of the other shops in town has over 1000 links to their site...yikes!
I know links are important to get my site well ranked but where do I get them? I'm working hard on SEO for my new site but I don't have many links. Where/how do I get them? I've been listing with search engines all day...what else should I be doing?

Thanks for any help,
Mary

I love your In Lieu of Flowers link! What a great idea.

My new site is up, although I am still working on the seo, tags, additional images, etc.. It's a little scary to switch from the TF site to my own, sometimes I think what if I screw it up? I used some seo tools and found one of the other shops in town has over 1000 links to their site...yikes!
I know links are important to get my site well ranked but where do I get them? I'm working hard on SEO for my new site but I don't have many links. Where/how do I get them? I've been listing with search engines all day...what else should I be doing?

Thanks for any help,
Mary

Your best bet will be to trade links with other florists, or wholesalers or other companies related to the industry. That will get you started. It would be even better if they one-way linked to you--but that is a lot tougher to get.

Mary... I too like your In Lieu of link...very smart idea...

Couple things, don't worry too much, you really can't screw up to badly!

One thing to consider, in your Alt Text on your images, include your city/state along with the product...

And a big 'High Five' for incorporating Amy Stewart's blog post topics into this page.

Is this the same domain name you had your TF site on? You should have collected at least a few links from that one.

Gotta love Amy Stewart! I do have some links but I want to get this site ranked quickly. I just contacted some of my wholesalers to ask to be included in their links...I never noticed their "Links" before...duh.

Mary

I must be blind - I didn't find it there...

Mary... forgot to add a Thank You for the linking to Floristdetective ;)

Good timing on this question. I had meant to post (and will today or tomorrow) on this subject.

Getting quality links is a slow and thoughtful process - don't just go linking with everyone, and don't do too many one-for-one reciprocal links. Also, link placement is very important as link pages tend to get and pass very little value.

Try for editorial type links with natural placement with the site. Beware linking schemes, farms, directories and the like.

If you are interested in purchasing / renting links that is a service that we provide at RKF. It's a solid way to get a new site indexed and ranked quickly.

Ryan

There is no absolute measure of the links to your site, but there are a few ways to check. You can manually visit the major search engines and use their tools, but that's time consuming and the data isn't easy to manage.

There are other sites and services that can aggregate the info for you:
http://www.urltrends.com/viewtrend.php?url=http://www.theblossombasket.com
(includes internal links)

Here is a report I've prepared using your site as an example (see attached PDF).

Here are two excellent articles on Link Building:
Link Building 101
The Worst Way To Ask For A Link by Eric Ward

Paid links and blog reviews are an option worth considering, especially for business owners who want a long-term ROI, as opposed to PPC marketing. Depending on the customer and the goals, we typically split their budget between paid links and CPC/PPC ads.

Ryan

Attachments

• Link Analysis - The Blossom Basket.pdf
    20.5 KB · Views: 12
Paid links and blog reviews are an option worth considering,
Ryan

So you're not worried about the supposed google jihad on paid links?

I kinda figgered it for a scare story.

Inquire with site owners who complement flowers. Fo example, we have funeral flower website where I sought out Funeral Homes to link to us. On general flower websites, seek out candy or chocolate related websites to link to you...or Jewlerly websites.

Got the picture.

Thanks Ryan, I had no idea links were important until I started reading the info here, now how to get them is even more confusing.

The one that is missing from my list that I thought would surely be there is Locate-A-Flower-Shop which I just rejoined just for the link. See how little I know about this. thanks for the help and I'm off to read the other 2 links.

Looks like I have a lot of work cut out for me. Could you tell me more how you can help and the cost in a pm please.

So you're not worried about the supposed google jihad on paid links?

I kinda figgered it for a scare story.
Yup, a complete scare tactic. Realistically, it's impossible for Google to identify paid links, unless you're REALLY blatant about it.

The vast majority of the "penalties" you hear about Google issuing are hand-edits, not algorithm changes. Google targets the most well-known sites hoping to set an example. "If it happened to ABC, then it could happen to me!" Except, no one at Google cares about you/me/most florist sites. We're too small scale to matter, and no one is watching so we're an ineffective target.

Check out this powerpoint deck from Michael Gray on Google's motives for squashing paid links (at least, the paid links that they don't sell through AdWords/AdSense).

Status
Not open for further replies.