I am VERY EMBARRASED

Mikey the Flower Guy

It's a GREAT DAY to live, and love!
Nov 10, 2002
Dundas, Ontario, Canada
www.hamiltonflorists.com
State / Prov
Ontario
to be FTD...I took down EVERY single sign,sticker,note pad,floor mat, and order pad that has ANYTHING to do with FTD...
I'm done.....the company is nuts!!

I took everything down a long time ago. But guess what, go to their website right now and enter your postal code and the results show "Florist Filled Orders" only.. And even 800Flowers shows only "local florist Delivery" for tomorrow... interesting!! But YEAH, that company is nuts...

go to their website right now and enter your postal code and the results show "Florist Filled Orders" only.. And even 800Flowers shows only "local florist Delivery" for tomorrow...
Yep, once they get done ripping of the CONsumer, they return to ripping of the Filler Fools....

Why anyone would be a member of, and support any wire service (except maybe BB) is beyond me...

Take no prisoners today Peeps...unless they are green backs and that colored funny money north of the border~!

colored funny money north of the border~!

Hey Mark you mean the money that is above par... ;)

Good luck today everyone, and Mike, finally.

V

The Groupon debacle is unfortunate, not just for FTD but for consumer confidence in our industry as a whole.

Once again at Valentine's the consumer is hit with negative press about buying flowers. Most years it tends to lean more towards the price increases or suggesting alternatives. With FTD being undoubtedly the most recognized "flower" brand in the consumers mind this has the potential to further hurt our industry.

here is another one of interest, this was an article in one of our major newspapers over the weekend.... Click Here

Reactions: anytimeflowers
The Groupon debacle is unfortunate, not just for FTD but for consumer confidence in our industry as a whole.

Once again at Valentine's the consumer is hit with negative press about buying flowers. Most years it tends to lean more towards the price increases or suggesting alternatives. With FTD being undoubtedly the most recognized "flower" brand in the consumers mind this has the potential to further hurt our industry.

here is another one of interest, this was an article in one of our major newspapers over the weekend.... Click Here

I agree.

Bad press is bad press...and just another reason for people not to buy flowers.

Why we insist on gloating over these negative reports is beyond me, though.

All people remember is that flowers suck IMHO.

I agree.

Bad press is bad press...and just another reason for people not to buy flowers.

All people remember is that flowers suck IMHO.
I have to say (as you knew I would) that I totally DISAGREE!

I think the CONsumer CONfidence is refocusing on BUYING LOCAL and that they are seeing the wolves for what they are. Many many of the comments on the FTD and Groupon sites, not to mention Teleflora and 800Flowers made by consumers suggested that very thing. I even had one of the industries largest (past but still current) order gatherers post on my FB page to buy local for better quality... the world is changing yes, but I believe we have turned the corner in the "flowers by wire scam game" and that consumers are quickly becoming educated.

Most of the negative press I saw this week was directed at non-B&M-internet florists. The thinking that any "bad press" about flowers is killing our industry is nuts, what it is doing is redirecting consumers toward local-mom&pop-slob-real-florists. Yes there are florists dying, but those of us that forge our niche will survive and grow, as we offer what you can not get from a OG, a grocery or the corner party store...

my numbers:
UP 92% 02-13/02-14 2011 over 2010
UP 25% 02-11/02-14 2011 over 2010
(no sympathy work)

I don't see anything negative there...

Reactions: KABERS
I have to agree somewhat with this, Mark..

I do agree that bad press about flowers in general is damaging, but now with FB giving local shops a voice and a very loud one at that..I think that we can rebutt and educate people without boring them to death..People can choose where and when we fill their ears full of our stuff...instead of us jumping all over them at the store when they don't have time..I think florists did a great job of sharing the stories, chatting with people who cared to chat and made a whole lot of people in general wise to the fact that this crap goes on and for the first time I saw that people are interested in knowing this stuff, especially when it is backed up by organizations like the FCC...and when we do it without whining..I still cringe when I see some florists post about these issues and it sounds unintellegent or poor meish or whiney...but this holiday some of the most respected and smartest florists were out in force getting the word out on why people should use local florists, how it helps local economy, how much money is lost when using national companies, what is in it for the consumer to opt for local rather than online...these are the issues that matter to them and get their attention, not why it hurts us, or how it affects us...

I think florists are slowly starting to learn the mind of the consumer and learning that consumers care about themselves first and we need to appeal to them in order to get them to listen...I think florists did a great job on FB, my only wish is that more would embrace it...it is the one way we all have a huge voice from inside our little shops that we have been chained to fo so many year to wait for orders to be sent to us. Social media is our freedom from the prison of our one man shops, it is our way to be heard...

Reactions: FANCIES and KABERS
As an aside to this thread, our new "Superpages" directory came today. 4 pages intro to "Florists" category all by bloomstoday, FTD in all sorts of forms, Bloomnet/800flowers, sympathyflowers.com.. and pasted throughout the regular florists' listings? Large ads breaking up the line listings. Sad and even sadder? How many florists will complain that the yellow page listing they pay for is interrupted by large ordergatherer ads....?? You can bet that the first chance I have, I'll be calling all those florists and asking them how they like being subterfuged by superpages putting OG ads all through their listings............ let's really open that hornets nest and see what flies out.......

I agree with Mark. I think most consumers see this as a bad Groupon deal...not necessarily reflecting poorly on flowers in general. Poorly on FTD, yes. Those florists who are affiliated may see some backlash, but I don't think this was seen as a "flower" issue. The take away for me was be careful about groupon deals (and don't trust FTD) but not "don't buy flowers".

Okay, yes, people are more savvy than ever and are soon going to realize that they need to do their homework if they are going to order online. They also are realizing that "good deals" are usually not as good.

However.

Did anybody read the article that Doug linked to?

People 35 and younger are QUITE concerned about the environment and if more of that type of coverage continues to appear, we can most definitely count on getting more questions about exactly where our flowers come from.

This WILL have an adverse impact on our industry if florists do not heed it and make sure they are buying from reputable growers who are Veriflor or otherwise local where the flowers can be certified as "green".

Just my two cents.

I think florists did a great job on FB, my only wish is that more would embrace it...it is the one way we all have a huge voice from inside our little shops that we have been chained to fo so many year to wait for orders to be sent to us. Social media is our freedom from the prison of our one man shops, it is our way to be heard...
With the roll out of the new FB business pages (some of you may already have it) March 10th we'll gaing the ability to link business pages (don't have it all figured out yet) which may be the beginning of the end for the non-florists...

As an aside to this thread, our new "Superpages" directory came today. 4 pages intro to "Florists" category all by bloomstoday, FTD in all sorts of forms, Bloomnet/800flowers, sympathyflowers.com.. and pasted throughout the regular florists' listings? Large ads breaking up the line listings.
No local florists listed here anymore... couple that with just saying no to gathered orders and you can regain your direct market...as long as the filler-fools choke on the discounted work...

People 35 and younger are QUITE concerned about the environment and if more of that type of coverage continues to appear, we can most definitely count on getting more questions about exactly where our flowers come from.

This WILL have an adverse impact on our industry if florists do not heed it and make sure they are buying from reputable growers who are Veriflor or otherwise local where the flowers can be certified as "green".
I think this will have a positive impact... not only can we educate consumers about flowers themselves but work in the info on scams and "how to" get the best value whether across the street or across North America...

Information is power... consumers want both...

we are done........

clip_image002.jpg

FTD Code # 75-3772AA

ATTN: FTD Member Services
Re: 75-3772AA

Please be advised that we are terminating membership in FTD effective the May, 2011 directory, and are doing so in advance of the legal voluntary termination date of:
February 18, 2011.
We, unfortunately, find no purposeful reason to remain as loyal members of FTD, and have determined that FTD now has a negative view of having a loyal “pay for services “ member base, and our customers at large, have indicated that the organization has become one, that they no longer trust, nor wish to do business with any longer!
As a business, looking at our own financial position, places membership in FTD as a negative liability on our balance sheet!
Thank you for your immediate attention to this voluntary termination and expect a smooth and orderly removal of Holden’s Florists (DUNDAS) Inc., from the FTD MAY 2011 directory.

Yours very truly,

Sandie and Mike Bojeczko

This is what $91 Gets You on FTD.com

His lesson learned was to order direct from a local florist.

Yes, I realize a local florist also made that design, but he paid an extra $19 above delivery and flowers just to get that poor arrangement.