Status
Not open for further replies.

master J

Jan 8, 2005
Havertown - Philadelphia
www.belvedereflowers.com
State / Prov
pa
I just took a family funeral job and this is what they say when I'm done...

"It better be nice or we know where to find you!"
...and it didn't look like they were joking....sheesh!

well...I better do a great job or we'll be doing my funeral next! LOL!

Also- I am not complaining but it figures we get crushed with funeral work this week of all weeks! Oh well, take it while we can right?!

Did their last name end in a vowel? If so, work all night long to make it perfect. tee hee Just don't want Johnny Soprano and his peeps after ya!

I never understand that passive aggressive threat?!?!? I also hate when they say "just so you know, I will be there so I will see it"...ok, then we won't send the same crap we usually do, WTF!

Be happily thankful you are crazy busy. There will be plenty of time to rest (drink) on Sunday!

When people place funeral orders and end with that phrase, I chalk to it up to their grief.
They are so emotional they just don't think about what comes out of their mouth.Our work is always great so I don't worry about it.I'm happy for you on being swamped with symp work - enjoy it !!

Reactions: Connie and Eric S
I absolutely hate to hear that from a customer. I usually say, "have I ever let you down"?

This brings to mind an incident that happened this week. My son lives in Round Rock, Texas (Austin) and he called and ordered a wristlet and boutonniere for a Daddy/daughter dance he was going to. (She is three).

He was here yesterday and brought the flowers for me to look at. This florist had no clue how to make a wristlet.....even told my son you couldn't make one for someone that little. He paid $25.00 for poor workmanship. (had one mini carnation and the bout was one carnation. THAT IS WHY PEOPLE THINK THEY HAVE TO WARN YOU ABOUT MAKING THEIR FLOWERS NICE.

There are so many florists out there that give all of us a bad name....hence the customers that warn us. Fortunately, I was able to give my son the name of a couple of florists near him that did take the time to learn their trade for the next time.

Carol Bice

He was here yesterday and brought the flowers for me to look at. This florist had no clue how to make a wristlet.....even told my son you couldn't make one for someone that little.
Carol Bice

They apparently have never seen velcro wristlets. They are great for little ones.

I absolutely hate to hear that from a customer. I usually say, "have I ever let you down"?

This brings to mind an incident that happened this week. My son lives in Round Rock, Texas (Austin) and he called and ordered a wristlet and boutonniere for a Daddy/daughter dance he was going to. (She is three).

He was here yesterday and brought the flowers for me to look at. This florist had no clue how to make a wristlet.....even told my son you couldn't make one for someone that little. He paid $25.00 for poor workmanship. (had one mini carnation and the bout was one carnation. THAT IS WHY PEOPLE THINK THEY HAVE TO WARN YOU ABOUT MAKING THEIR FLOWERS NICE.

There are so many florists out there that give all of us a bad name....hence the customers that warn us. Fortunately, I was able to give my son the name of a couple of florists near him that did take the time to learn their trade for the next time.

Carol Bice

So Carol, when are you driving down there to give them a corsage 101 crash course? :tongue

Reactions: Tracy D'Amico
They apparently have never seen velcro wristlets. They are great for little ones.

We are seeing great enthusiasm for the ribbon method that Herb and Ellen shared from last week.

Only one Full moon mom has been in twice to change her darlin little 6 yr olds corsage. I sincerely hope I have retired when "Miss Delight" and her mom get into High school

Reactions: elmo
"It better be nice or we know where to find you!"
...and it didn't look like they were joking....sheesh!

This is when I ALWAYS say "Oh we only do UGLY on request!!"

I never understand that passive aggressive threat?!?!? I also hate when they say "just so you know, I will be there so I will see it"...ok, then we won't send the same crap we usually do, WTF!

Actually I do understand this statement. A few years ago I was headed to my Aunts Funeral in Montana. We ordered flowers from a local shop and they were told a couple times that I would be at the funeral, but wouldn't have a chance to do the flowers myself.

When I got there and saw the "so called arrangement" that my Mom, my Brothers and I had sent...I was shocked! I got the phone number of the shop from the funeral director, made the call and insisted the owner bring me a Whole Lota flowers to fix the mess. I reiterated that we had stated how important the bouquet was to us and that I would be there to see it. All she could tell me was that the "New Girl really wanted to make it and she didn't have the heart to tell her no". As she watched me fix the monstrosity...she got an earful from me!!!

When I returned home, first thing I did was to mark her shop "Do Not Send".

When my uncle, from across the state, died last year, his family, upon my arrival, asked me to go to the florist and check out the flowers to make sure they were OK. They had even called the florist and told them that I'd be coming. I was quite shy about doing what they asked, but the florist was very nice about it. I've made a point of ordering from them several times lately, and always send my wire-outs for that area to them.

Those it-had-better-be-good-because-I'll-be-there statements always have annoyed me. After the experience with my uncle's flowers, I am a bit more tolerant. His family, in their grief and love, wanted their tributes to be as wonderful as they could have them. I understood, and believe that the florist understood it also, that the family wanted reassurance that they (the family) had chosen well the flowers and the designers.

I can't tell you how happy I am that my advice was helpful. After taking the advice of so many on FC, I had something worth reading to share !!:headbang:
You know you can step it up too... leave 3 plus strands of ribbon,(longer) add flower petals or jewel's( glue of course) on it and name them angle wings.... hehe
Steps up the $$$ too. Always have those that want more than others... we have those that what to know what everyone else are getting... post a photo
when time permits.

Those kind of people don't even realize they need a design course.

My daughter in law ended up pinning it on her dress. How can a florist not know how to make a small wristlet?....the velcro would have worked well.

Carol Bice
Amen sister!!!! And that over confidence is the problem. I will never stop educating myself!

And I'm pretty darn confident!

I have seen it time and again where 'florists" learn to make simple arrangements and all the sudden they are masters of the floral universe.

If there was only a way to tell the good florists from the less than stellar.
The FTD logo used to mean that, but it doesn't anymore.

Reactions: Carol Bice
Ok so they have had bad experiences, I get that...but, there's a nicer way to say it!!!

For example
"we have had a bad experience with the last florist we used for a funeral and just want to make sure you do a beautiful special job for us"
instead of threats!:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.