Just say no to the order gatherers

blumen

Jan 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
www.ludwigflowers.com
State / Prov
PA
Tim Huckabee's article in the latest issue of Floral Management is a good illustration of why florists are damaging their own reputations and hurting themselves when they fill for the order gatherers. (Wish I could link to it, but you have to login through SAF.)

I've been saying the same thing for years... everyone thinks I'm a lunatic... for some dang reason...

Most florists are so order hungry they fight for junk orders while at the same time helping non-florists to prosper by pimping their same day delivery feature at a discounted rate. Makes no sense to me at all.

For those of you who can't read it, the gist of the article is how to field a complaint when a customer who ordered with an order gatherer complains to the filling shop that "I paid over $85 for this?!?!", even though the florist filled to the full value received.

The customer doesn't understand, since the local florist's name is on the flowers. So the local florist looks like the crook.

Why worry about fielding those complaints? Just don't fill for the DOg's!

some of our area florists seem to be getting it as we are getting calls from a couple DOGS looking for a delivery to towns 2-3 zip codes away. They can't seem to find anyone closer... :) (and we keep telling them - STOP CALLING US)

the down side is over the last couple weeks, I have had people calling to inquire about a delivery they were supposed to have receive, haven't gotten it and they are wondering why not. Cause it wasn't placed with our company that's why. :(

Reactions: KABERS
Yeah we say no now. And, I thought in the beginning, it was a way for me to get my name out but soon I noticed the only complaints we ever got were from any Just Flowers orders. Then one day the deal breaker: A recipient called telling us how awful the arrangement was and how it was nothing like it was supposed to be and that her friend paid 115 pounds for it - we only got $60. When I found out just how much JF was scamming people, I couldn't keep accepting their calls. Their orders ended up giving us a bad name and it's so dishonest to the customer - because they don't know that only so much ends up with the filling florist.

Reactions: 3 people
I've been saying the same thing for years... everyone thinks I'm a lunatic... for some dang reason.

I don't think you're a lunatic......just ahead of your time!! Liked the article also

Reactions: BOSS
the customer doesn't understand, since the local florist's name is on the flowers. so the local florist looks like the crook.
exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw OG's Google Ad while I was looking up florists on Google Maps: $19.99 same day delivery, and clicked on it. Needles to say there was nothing for that price, but "I choose" a beautiful looking arrangement for $34.99 and was given discount on top of that. Long story short after "same-day delivery fee", "service and handling?!?" my total came just a little over of how much I would pay if I were to place an order with myself. Plus, my state would receive that sale tax.

I've been saying the same thing for years... everyone thinks I'm a lunatic... for some dang reason...

Most florists are so order hungry they fight for junk orders while at the same time helping non-florists to prosper by pimping their same day delivery feature at a discounted rate. Makes no sense to me at all.
you ARE a lunatic...jus' sayin' <with sweet undertones>

some of our area florists seem to be getting it as we are getting calls from a couple DOGS looking for a delivery to towns 2-3 zip codes away. They can't seem to find anyone closer... :) (and we keep telling them - STOP CALLING US)

the down side is over the last couple weeks, I have had people calling to inquire about a delivery they were supposed to have receive, haven't gotten it and they are wondering why not. Cause it wasn't placed with our company that's why. :(
this "reminds" me of one......a neighbour, 4 DOORS DOWN, is calling our shop at 5:15 PM, on Feb 14th, wondering why on earth we haven't delivered his V-Day flowers yet....."huh"??....."WELL, I PLACED this order with FTD.com early this morning, and YOU should have had it here by now!!"....."HUH??"......."IF I HAD KNOWN YOU ARE THAT BUSY, I would have walked down 4 doors, and stopped in your shop, and NOW, I just want my money back, can I stop by and get a refund??"...."Huh,HUH?......"........
Didn't get the order, didn't WANT the order, didn't DELIVER the order..(it arrived at 8:05PM) from god knows where maybe, and he's calling our shop AGAIN the next morning, to get a refund, 'cause" he can't get through to dot conned by FTD.
Sorry folks, the world HAS gone mad, and D'ogs, or NO D'ogs, a stupid consumer is born EVERY DAY,and "graduating" from high scholl, just ain't cutting it any more!

Sorry folks, the world HAS gone mad, and D'ogs, or NO D'ogs, a stupid consumer is born EVERY DAY,and "graduating" from high scholl, just ain't cutting it any more!

It's not really fair to call the consumer stupid when florists like yourself have proudly shown the mercury man on their front doors for most of the last century. It's the florists who are stupid, if anyone. FTD, Teleflora, 1800 have all made a mint by taking possession of our shops' identities. We have (and continue to) feed this beast that is devouring our customer base. Don't blame a consumer for trusting a brand that you support.

I believe that if you are an FTD florist then you should be responsible for giving giving refunds on .com orders. Then you could file for a rebate in 45-60 days. After all, are you not an FTD florist?! At least that way, the client won't look on the whole floral industry as crooks. Furthermore, if FTD actually enforced their quality guidelines then many shops would have been driven out of FTD (and possibly out of business by the fines).

It's time to stop playing the game. This is the twenty-first century. "Wire Outs/Ins" are not a healthy part of the florist business model. Businesses will always pay a premium for concierge service nationwide, but the average Jane/Joe off the street isn't served by another middle man inserting himself into the cost of sending flowers.

This is not a personal attack on you, Mikey. I talk to florists on the phone almost every day, and it is the same story. It's time we start holding ourselves accountable.

It's not really fair to call the consumer stupid when florists like yourself have proudly shown the mercury man on their front doors for most of the last century. It's the florists who are stupid, if anyone. FTD, Teleflora, 1800 have all made a mint by taking possession of our shops' identities. We have (and continue to) feed this beast that is devouring our customer base. Don't blame a consumer for trusting a brand that you support.

I believe that if you are an FTD florist then you should be responsible for giving giving refunds on .com orders. Then you could file for a rebate in 45-60 days. After all, are you not an FTD florist?! At least that way, the client won't look on the whole floral industry as crooks. Furthermore, if FTD actually enforced their quality guidelines then many shops would have been driven out of FTD (and possibly out of business by the fines).

It's time to stop playing the game. This is the twenty-first century. "Wire Outs/Ins" are not a healthy part of the florist business model. Businesses will always pay a premium for concierge service nationwide, but the average Jane/Joe off the street isn't served by another middle man inserting himself into the cost of sending flowers.

This is not a personal attack on you, Mikey. I talk to florists on the phone almost every day, and it is the same story. It's time we start holding ourselves accountable.
Seriously Jamie??.....so, I "should" be held responsible for a .conned order, when 1)I did NOT get the order, and 2) I need to take "responsibility" for some other shop's ineptitude? AND I "should" refund a non-customer's order because he/she is too lazy to call our shop, shop our shop, or REQUEST our shop?
So, for argument's sake..I DID say he DID get his V-day flowers delivered, and they came pretty late, what I DIDN'T say, was he "ordered" them after lunch time on Feb 14th, and just figured, we're 4 doors down,and we can just slide down on a skateboard!
It IS the 21st century, and "accountability" is a TWO WAY thoroughfare, with NO time to mosey,and if folks want their $39.95 roses delivered, because of a door sticker affiliation, then I guess I cannot refer to them as "stupid"...gotta find some other prevalent terminology!
Though we "dis-agree" on the ideology, I guess I AM a "crook", I want what I want, and nutty customers are NOT a part of our "business model" and we are fortunate enough, to do without!
We have no "VISUAL" attachments to FTD,and can easily "FDS" an order for your anywhere! (we STILL have a fairly healthy in/out biz, though NOT what it once was)
Sadly, even some of our suppliers, offer online floral ordering for the general public.

Reactions: BOSS
I do believe that accountability is a TWO-WAY throughfare. I believe that if a florist is a proud member of FTD then they should be held accountable for the actions of FTD. If I sell meth, but recommend that people don't use it, I am still a meth dealer. The same applies to the florists who are bankrolling FTD to lie and cheat customers away from us. If you pay membership fees (with money OR orders sent) then you are financing a fraud. Get mad, type in caps. It doesn't change that fact

Your customer is not responsible for knowing the fair price of a dozen roses. Do you know the fair price of every item you buy? Especially items that you buy once or twice a year. I don't. I expect merchants to be honest and reasonable and if I find that they are not then I spend my money somewhere else next time. You are very lucky the guy down the road got his flowers late rather than not at all, otherwise he would have blamed you for FTD's failure. That's the reality.

The customer is not always right, but the customer is always the one with the money. Maybe your shop doesn't need "stupid" customers right now, but I think I read from Rick Rivers that we lose 30% of our client base organically every year. So every 3 years we need to replace 90% of our current customers with new ones.

I have heard you more than once bemoan the fact that florists are becoming more like pizza delivery. Well, so be it. If the market goes that way, we have to adapt or die. Can pr0flowers get an order to someone within an hour? nope, they are out. FTD/JF/TFHQ? nope, not without risking a pissed off client because "It doesn't look like the picture." Can WE do it. Yes! Spring bouquet $55+rush delivery. Tag it from the cooler and send it out the door.

Reactions: 1 person
I have done this many time....I say NO to many order gatherer.
If they say they dleiver to Elliot Lake, then come down and deliver them.
I am not putting my store reputations in jeapordy on a gatherer that sell for less or steals money before transmitting their order to me.

Like Chef Ramsey would say " Screw Off"

I do believe that accountability is a TWO-WAY throughfare. I believe that if a florist is a proud member of FTD then they should be held accountable for the actions of FTD. If I sell meth, but recommend that people don't use it, I am still a meth dealer. The same applies to the florists who are bankrolling FTD to lie and cheat customers away from us. If you pay membership fees (with money OR orders sent) then you are financing a fraud. Get mad, type in caps. It doesn't change that fact

Your customer is not responsible for knowing the fair price of a dozen roses. Do you know the fair price of every item you buy? Especially items that you buy once or twice a year. I don't. I expect merchants to be honest and reasonable and if I find that they are not then I spend my money somewhere else next time. You are very lucky the guy down the road got his flowers late rather than not at all, otherwise he would have blamed you for FTD's failure. That's the reality.

The customer is not always right, but the customer is always the one with the money. Maybe your shop doesn't need "stupid" customers right now, but I think I read from Rick Rivers that we lose 30% of our client base organically every year. So every 3 years we need to replace 90% of our current customers with new ones.

I have heard you more than once bemoan the fact that florists are becoming more like pizza delivery. Well, so be it. If the market goes that way, we have to adapt or die. Can pr0flowers get an order to someone within an hour? nope, they are out. FTD/JF/TFHQ? nope, not without risking a pissed off client because "It doesn't look like the picture." Can WE do it. Yes! Spring bouquet $55+rush delivery. Tag it from the cooler and send it out the door.
Thanks Jamie.....well done,and the response I was hoping for.....
When the guy 4 doors down called, we had one of our staff run down his order, with a blank card, so he could fill it out,and V-day was "saved" for him, and when his "order" arrived, he turned it away,and went after FTD to get his money back. In the meanwhile, he DID come into our shop ranting about wanting his money back from "us" as in FTD, and I reminded him, I'm NOT FTD, I'm a "customer" just like he is a "customer", and we pay dues, and neither one of us like the company, just like neither one of us like paying taxes. He's been in 3 times since V-Day.....:)

My thoughts exactly~!!!

While Tim's "system" does work for retail florists (I have had him in my store)... IMNSHO, he has sold out to the very problem the industry faces.

Sorry, can't back you on that one at all. Tim has a system that works and empowers florists to offer professional service that is sorely lacking in our industry. Wire services offer a sizable audience that is otherwise unobtainable. Should we complain that Tim and other providers leverage the WSs to access - and thereby train and improve - a larger number of florists?

tim Huckabee is under contract to Teleflora so his motives are questionable.

Actually, he's not. He writes for SAF's magazine, and does some co-promotion with BloomNet, but that's all to drive interest in his webinars and training program.

Seriously Jamie??.....so, I "should" be held responsible for a .conned order, when 1)I did NOT get the order, and 2) I need to take "responsibility" for some other shop's ineptitude? AND I "should" refund a non-customer's order because he/she is too lazy to call our shop, shop our shop, or REQUEST our shop?

Hey, Mikey ... what did your license plate say for the past 30 years?

The customer is not always right, but the customer is always the one with the money.

Two stellar quotes :)

Reactions: bootcampguy
Sorry, can't back you on that one at all. Tim has a system that works and empowers florists to offer professional service that is sorely lacking in our industry. Wire services offer a sizable audience that is otherwise unobtainable. Should we complain that Tim and other providers leverage the WSs to access - and thereby train and improve - a larger number of florists?
I understand... and as most know, I have been an advocate of Tim and his method for years...

But, I was told, that Tim was "training" the call center folk for one of the wires (which would make sense)..... that would be where my problem with it arises. If that is not true, then I owe him an apology, and will do so publicly, as I do when I am wrong. At this point, no one has denied it.

In years past I believe he has trained some call centre staff. That's pretty old news though - I hope you aren't basing your recent change of heart on events from years ago.

Besides, Floral Strategies provides a service, and they did work for a client. That hardly constitutes "selling out" or being under contract. Unless you're willing to apply that standard to any company that has ever done business with any wire service. And that's just a little to over-reaching for my taste.

Hey, Mikey ... what did your license plate say for the past 30 years?
Two stellar quotes :)
They say "WE RFTD".....it has SUCH on "impact" on folks these days, MOST "assume" it means we are retired :)
FTD MEANS NOTHING these days, and for the record, those plates ARE RETIRED on May 31st of THIS year, BUT, I'm NOT embarrassed to be a "member",just embarrassed that I'm no where NEAR retirement!

In years past I believe he has trained some call centre staff. That's pretty old news though - I hope you aren't basing your recent change of heart on events from years ago.

Besides, Floral Strategies provides a service, and they did work for a client. That hardly constitutes "selling out" or being under contract. Unless you're willing to apply that standard to any company that has ever done business with any wire service. And that's just a little to over-reaching for my taste.
It DOES "constitute" selling out IF ANY of the above is true....IF ANY....