Not open for further replies.

CHR

Design matters
Nov 28, 2002
Anaheim
www.avantegardens.com
State / Prov
CA
Does anyone have a tip to help keep fresh produce shiny & fresh looking in designs?

We have some beets & radishes to work into large arrangements and they look dull when they dry off. Would like to have the 'wet look' without making them look real fake & waxy.

The humidity level here is at 35% so a sealant of some sort could also help them look fresher longer.

Suggestions appreciated.

If they don't have to be edible, leafshine -we've used it on small Indian corn gourds/pumpkins in arr's. You could wipe it a tad if it's too bright.

Or the olden way , veggie oil wiped on with a soft rag.

We have some beets & radishes to work into large arrangements and they look dull when they dry off. Would like to have the 'wet look' without making them look real fake & waxy.

Tracy's suggestion of leafshine was the first thing that came to mind, but maybe it will look too fake...not sure. Another thought was that old mist and wipe green glo. I recall the non-aerosol version tended to give things a more natural glow.

Veggie oil sounds like it may work too.

Reactions: CHR
You cannot be too sure of anyone not eating anything...at the Phila Flower Show, exhibits are out exposed to dust, mulch and whatever for 10 days...we once used 200 pounds of grapes, and glued kosher salt on them to look like frost...people ATE THOSE! We eventually had to hang signs that it was not safe to eat, and we STILL caught fools tasting them...YUK!

Reactions: CHR
What you really should do (..... yes I am in a snarky mood over the stupidity of some people.....) is use FAUX Fruits and Veggies.......Tell NO ONE......and sit back from a hidden corner and watch them try to take a bite.

Reactions: BOSS
I am not a big fan of the "greasy" look on my veggies, I might consider trying the original Armor All (formula has been revised to be less greasy)....or if I was looking for more of a glossy matt finish, maybe I might try their new Natural Armor All (new car finish/look).

I have not tried these on veggies, but if we did a lot of them in arrangements....this would be what I would try out.

Note- as some of the other suggestions, this would not be for something that would be to eat.

I have no experience in this matter, but, it seems like the spray on glaze would be a good way to go. Even hairspray might work to put a shine on it.

You Guys Are Terrific!

Thank you all SO much for the tips and advice. We tested several different products and ended up using Design Master Ultra Leaf Shine (aerosol). It had the least fragrance (virtually none after a couple minutes), didn't look fake/waxy and still held a bit of a shine after several hours.

It also didn't leave an oily residue on the radishes & beets that might stain clothes if someone brushed up against them.

The products are in a display and are not for consumption by booth visitors.

Photo of one of the designs below. The shiny red 'beads' are spiced pickled peppers (one of their new products). This 'arrangement' was 34" tall, 28" in diameter and weighed a ton. The trade show is 3 days and we're delivering new ones each morning since the lettuce wilts to quickly.

Again, thanks! Lots of good advice to save for future opportunities, too. :)

Attachments

• Tanimura-Veggie-Arrangement.jpg
    Tanimura-Veggie-Arrangement.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 37
Status
Not open for further replies.