Local Cut Flower Prices on Web Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would agree with Randy... I hired a designer once upon a time ago, from the Krogers across the street... I think I was told they use a 2.2 markup.

I have seen "grocery quality" improve over the last few years... although the departments seem to be getting smaller.

Ok, I am confused. What is the advantage of selling my flowers to my customers at a wholesale level? Does that not just give the basement bettys an easier way to operate? I guess for me the biggest cost for us is labour, so therefore I want to sell design. Thats what makes me different than the other shops, great design and great service. I save my cash and carry for just that, a loss leader to get people in my store in hopes that they buy something else while they are here. I am not sure I would make that same offer on the net??? Am I way off in my thinking here?

I must be more lost than usuall to day, but I don'tunderstand where you talk wholesale, We use to offer 20 percent off for cash and carry, it was a great thing, Say a rose was 4.50 we charged 3.60 that's hardly wholesale??? Way lost, sorry I think I need to go back and read this thing again..

Reactions: laticiarose
I would like to offer mixed wrapped bouquets and loose flowers, I just wonder how long would it take for it to really catch on.

6 months, give or take. During these 6 months, turn-over will be low, so that you would have to use the flowers for your regulr arr, if unsold for 1-2 days.

But again, we were (and are) a terrible marketer. If you are good at it, the time could be shorter.

6 months, give or take. During these 6 months, turn-over will be low, so that you would have to use the flowers for your regulr arr, if unsold for 1-2 days.

But again, we were (and are) a terrible marketer. If you are good at it, the time could be shorter.

6 months is a good number. Every shop has different variables, location, foot traffic, etc... My shop happens to be in a shopping mall, so we get more foot traffic (outside our store) than the average flower shop.

Near the end of last summer, I started buying pre-wrapped dozen 40cm bouquets from a local wholesaler that range from $5-$6 per bunch. I put a bucket of 10 bouquets priced at $11.95 out in front of the store and sold about 5-6 per week. With virtually no advertising or marketing, this number has grown to 25-30 per week now. Foot traffic in the mall has declined significantly, but my volume of these budget bouquets have increased. My goal is to reach over 50 per week, I get a price break on the bouquets if I hit 40.

If I reach my goal of averaging 50 per week, that will be an additional $300 in profits per week or approx. $1200 per month. 50 x $6 = $300 x 4 weeks = $1200. There is no additional labor involved with these, they are sold as is. The only thing not accounted for is the opportunity cost of a higher lost sale. For example a customer may opt to buy the special instead of a regular higher priced item. Therefore I lost a potentially higher sale.

I am now putting out consumer bunches of 5 gerbs at $9.95 per bunch. These are also catching on. My plan is to eventually provide all my flowers at "buy the bunch" prices, but only to walk in customers, but put a premium on designed arrangements or custom wraps.

My reasoning for this philosophy is that I am paying an extreme $ per sq. foot for my space for the foot traffic it's supposed to bring me, however my walk in biz was on a serious decline. Most of my biz comes from phone and internet, so I ask myself "what am I paying this high rent for?". With a couple years still on my lease, I felt I needed to do something to at least generate some walk in biz. I am finally seeing some good results, my foot traffic and walk in volume is increasing (even with a "dead" mall due to the economy). I always had loose flowers out in front of the store, but never at these prices. I believe the pricing has a psychological effect on people, I feel they are now less intimidated to come in and browse my shop.

I always had loose flowers out in front of the store, but never at these prices. I believe the pricing has a psychological effect on people, I feel they are now less intimidated to come in and browse my shop.
Powerful words, those. Though I love full service, I admit I am intimidated to go in & browse in shops I belive are beyond my budget (high end clothing, jewelers, really cool gift shops) .... sometimes just getting customers in the store is all it takes, and offering a smidgen of your product at a very easy price point can facilitate that.

Reactions: LJVF
My traffic has been very slow- I am on the main road but not in the heart of town. If I were to introduce wrapped bouquets I would maybe start on a holiday when I do have more traffic and one of the worries I would have is loosing a bigger sale (actually this is my husband's worry, I believe the person buying a wrap is not the same customer who is buying the nice bouquet..)

the other concern is I want my wraps to look like they came from MY store and not the grocery- so what.. re wrap? that would defeat the purpose wouldn't it? what do you do to extend your brand to your wrapped bouquets?

Darrel, you are one heck of a businessman!

Currently we aren't selling as many consumer bunches as you are. This undoubtedly has a lot to do with foot traffic.

We are doing many DIY wedding though. In fact almost half of our wedding clients now are at least semi-DIY brides. "Semi" - because they pay full-price for things like corsages and bridal bouquets, while doing their own simple, mono-floral table pieces.

We love DIY weddings. They are no hassle, lot easier to deal with.

Reactions: LJVF
Joan,

Floral departments of our local supermarkets are buying flowers from the same wholesalers as mom&pop shops. They pay the same prices as we do.

The exception is plants. Many plants are sold on consignment basis.

Wish that was the case here. Two chains do and they are not a threat. The one I speak of does not. And I know first hand that they do not work on a 2 1/2 times mark up, or even close.

Joan

I cannot even get flowers into my shop at those prices, let alone sell them at them...where do you get your flowers?

If you aren't faced with the same grocery store competition we are you are very lucky. We have a local high end grocery called "The Fresh Market" or as we sometimes loving call it "our cooler". If I need something special not in stock that's where we go and where we also see our other local florists shopping at prices equal to or lower than our wholesalers.

Roses in every color imaginable $9.99 a dozen, campanula $6.99 for 10, gorgeous lizianthus for $7.99, oriental lilies in deep red that I can't even get from my wholesalers and to top it off they arrange, do wonderful gourmet baskets and are the "it" place for all of the hauty-tauty folks who assume to be wealthy shop. You know, low lighting serving coffee, specialty items. It makes me sick ecerytime I go in there and see the flowers leaving by just about every person I pass.

I could try selling bunches, but who would buy them? There's no way I can compete with them and their prices.

Does any one remember Chris Conroy who started a open market style flower shop in LA and franchised to 74 stores before he died young?

Any of you LA guys remember him?

I worked for Chris and was in the Operations Department of Conroy's for a couple years. He was an interesting and charismatic man who could draw crowds like a magnet.

He was also one of the most difficult people under whom I've ever worked. He was highly volatile, but that may have been in part due to his (undiagnosed at the time) brain cancer.

I decided I needed to leave when he told me to call Ecke and demand a total refund for their first semi truckload of poinsettias, and in the next breath said to ship them to the stores and charge full price.

The company executive VPs worked very hard to try and get the franchises to evolve from bucket shops to quality full-service operations, but the industry changed faster, and now the franchise (owned currently by 1-800-Flowers) is just a shell of its former self.

I was fascinated by this thread until I read everyone’s post.

Nothing new here at all.

Do any of you here really think about the number of flowers that you have to sell just to make the same amount of money?

If I sell three rose arrangements at $50 I get $150 in sales.

If I sell dozen loose roses for $9.99 I would have to sell at least 15 of those to make the same amount in sales.

Can any of you really say that you’re selling to 15 customers that magically started coming in your store because you offered cheap roses. Or are you selling to 15 of your own customers that where already coming into your store.

I can’t see this building my business at all. I have already spent the time and supplied a grocery store with flowers started out with 3 times mark up and ended up doing 2 times mark up with the same results.

I sold more flowers and had the same amount of sales.

Selling in volume may give you an edge but how much? Let say you get roses for $10 a bunch and then you get a break if you sell 50 bunches. What is the break? 10% 20% 50%. That would be some real news to share! What’s the expected break!

If anything that I have learned is when a customer comes into the store you have an obligation to sell them something. It’s up to you or your sales person to identify what the customer is looking for and provide them what they are looking for. If they spot the prearranged flowers in the color and that’s what they want great. But if they came in to wheel and deal then that would be the time to offer the deal.

I see shops all over the place that say $19.99 cash and carry roses painted on their window or on their signage outside. Is that really the image you want to sell to your customers and is that really what DRAWS IN THE CROWDS?

Besides Conroys was the flower bucket leader here and I don't see the deals keeping them in business longer.

I was fascinated by this thread until I read everyone’s post.

Nothing new here at all.

Do any of you here really think about the number of flowers that you have to sell just to make the same amount of money?

If I sell dozen loose roses for $9.99 I would have to sell at least 15 of those to make the same amount in sales.

Can any of you really say that you’re selling to 15 customers that magically started coming in your store because you offered cheap roses. Or are you selling to 15 of your own customers that where already coming into your store.

I can’t see this building my business at all. I have already spent the time and supplied a grocery store with flowers started out with 3 times mark up and ended up doing 2 times mark up with the same results.

I sold more flowers and had the same amount of sales.

Selling in volume may give you an edge but how much? Let say you get roses for $10 a bunch and then you get a break if you sell 50 bunches. What is the break? 10% 20% 50%. That would be some real news to share! What’s the expected break!

If anything that I have learned is when a customer comes into the store you have an obligation to sell them something. It’s up to you or your sales person to identify what the customer is looking for and provide them what they are looking for. If they spot the prearranged flowers in the color and that’s what they want great. But if they came in to wheel and deal then that would be the time to offer the deal.

I see shops all over the place that say $19.99 cash and carry roses painted on their window or on their signage outside. Is that really the image you want to sell to your customers and is that really what DRAWS IN THE CROWDS?

Besides Conroys was the flower bucket leader here and I don't see the deals keeping them in business longer.

I absolutely believe that the cash and carry bouquet customer is a different customer!! With cash and carry, I am looking for the customer who picks up flowers weekly to have in their home, or give as a little pick me up, etc. as opposed to someone who buys for a special occasion or holiday.

I'll use myself as an example. I may give a nice arrangement to my mom on her birthday and Mother's Day. Let's say I spend $50 each time. Twice a year. However, I will pick up little bouquets for her every few weeks. Next week maybe daffs, a couple weeks after that alstro (and then I won't have to get another one for 3 weeks 'cause they last that long!) I would never spend $50 every few weeks. (I would also never give her a $6 bouquet for her birthday!) I just wouldn't buy flowers that often if I didn't have some inexpensive options.

I could be the customer who spends $100 total a year. Or, I can be the customer who spends that $100 in addtion to the $5 or $6 every 3 weeks. Not to mention I will buy those bouquets for myself as well! I would never spend $50 on flowers for myself (unless I was entertaining or someting like that). That's probably an additional $300 per year I spend besides the $100.

I agree you have to find out what your customer is looking for and SELL them the right thing. It doesn't help anyone to undersell to a customer.

You said that you went from a 3x mark up to a 2x mark up and saw the same sales. That means you have have more in customer counts! That's a great thing! Did it affect your shrink at all?

I also think that with the economy, people are looking for lower priced options or they will just go without. My goodness, they didn't even have flowers at the presidential inaugaration this year. Yikes! That is very scary and sad!! What does that say about the importance of flowers in the average American's life? I think the reputation that flowes have for being a "luxury" item was one of the reasons they passed them up for the inaugaration. They didn't want to be seen as frivolous. What kind of message did that send to the American public? I'm afraid that a lot of corporate accounts are going to go the same way. If we can give flowers an "everyday" image, then they won't be so intimidating to buy.

I believe we held our numbers for Valentine's Day this year because we had lower priced options for our customers. We sold more cash and carry than ever and it was way easier. We had very little overtime which is going to help our bottom line a lot. If we had waited around for customers to order our premium vased roses, we would have had little to do.

All that said, everyone's situation is different. I agree that low prices are not the way to go for a very prestigious shop. Cash and carry is not the best option for a shop with little walk-in traffic. . For us, we have seen our numbers increase nicely for the last couple years.

Man, I just can't seem to write a short post.

We are located in an urban area and did evolve from a bucket shop to a full service florist in the 80's.However, we kept our buckets of well priced specials outside and inside our shop. Customers like to see the assortments and we pass on alot of good deals my son David manages to score. People remember our fair prices and some buy just on impulse seeing the displays. Today a woman purchased a 15.00 mixed spring bouquet,2 7.00 bouquets but still spied and bought a 50.00 arrangement from the display cooler. We also sold today a peace lily marked cash/carry 45.00,told customer it was 55.00 for delivery plus 9.99 local delivery and he was fine with that.The customer who picks up an inexpensive bunch is also the one apt to buy a vase,card or balloon to sweeten the deal.
Sandra
(By the way David really is driving my husband and myself crazy because every day everything changes under his management and we forgot to retire!)We do not read those articles about families that work together.

Eric, these two sales ($50 rose arr and $10 cash/carry) are not mutually exclusive. Cash/carry sales rarely cannibalizes the sales of regular arrangements, as far as I can tell.

They are two distinct, largely non-overlapping sales channels. C&C flowers are sold to DIY or take-it-home crowds, while regular arrangements are sold to gift-givers.

With that said, a small adjustment of arr prices may be necessary. For example, if the price of C&C 10 tulips is $8, it's hard to charge $30 for 10-tulip arrangement. Customers would wonder where that $22 extra came from.

Reactions: Tracy D'Amico
Status
Not open for further replies.