mapletreeflorists.com
8 years
Level 3
Florist News
Share information regarding floristry related items
Experience/sense of humour
Residence (until premises located)

Reactions: 3 people
Hi and thanks for answering the questions on the intro page. I am a bit confused however. I copied this from your website..."Please note we are not a shop, so you won't be able to come and browse!"

Are you an on-line shop? Please explain.

Thanks so much.

V

I'm a little curious as to why you would use a hotmail account for your email instead of using mapletreeflorists.com, which would be more professional? Do you plan on buying/renting commercial space and become a full service shop? If so, when? Do you have a business licence to operate out of your home? Thanks for responding to these questions.

Reactions: Victoria
Answers - as best I can

Hello and thanks for raising very pertinent questions.

My website is, as they say, "all shiny and new" and obviously has a few wrinkles to sort out. The e-mail address is one of them, but on the contact page you will note there is an address of info@mapletreeflorists

As to premises, I am in a long standing kaffuffle with my local council over premises I had to vacate due to structural damage - we had ponds on the floor and mushrooms on the ceiling - hardly conducive to flower longevity. I do intend to open another shop premise but so many of my customers were after me I thought what the heck and have been working from home. Luckily, we do not need a "traders licence" to operate but yes, I have obtained my lessor's permission. At the moment I am concentrating mainly on weddings and funerals, as that seems to be what I am called on for, and am building up a silk wedding package side to the business. Special occasions (bouquets baskets etc) I am happy to do with a bit of notice, but am not building on that at the moment.

Hope this answers your queries! Anything else don't hesitate to ask - I may not answer (depending on the question!) but I don't mind anyone asking anything (except my waistline or age, thank you!!:cool:

Bye the bye, Dorothy, I grew up not a million miles from you - in Vancouver BC. I still have relatives not a million miles the other direction - Quesnel!

Thanks for clearing some of that up for us. I do have a question though and I hope you will answer... because you don't require a "trader's" license, do you pay business taxes?

V

Well actually over here they are called "rates" and oh boy do we pay them. Through the nose.

the way it works is that my property is apportioned - so many rooms for private use and so many rooms for the business. I then pay "general" rates on my private rooms and "business" rates on the rooms used for my business.

I don't really know what you mean by business taxes exactly, but we pay a separate tax to the government on our earnings and when we submit our books to the accountant (bless him) we pay a separate tax on the earnings of the business. I hope that makes sense - my son in law does it all, I just sign the cheques!

I do believe that the tax you are talking about is the same as our "rates" though - its what we pay the government for the privilege to exist. Our tax bill at the end of the year is something quite separate. Zoe, help me out here.

Victoria, when you open as a business in the Uk you have to decide which category you are going to fall into and in my experience most florists work under the "sole trader" umbrella which means that you have to register as being self employed and fill in a tax return every year, you would fill in your earnings etc and then get a tax bill from our lovely tax man.

Business rates apply to your place of work, i was not aware that people got this from home but this is obviously the case. I pay rates on my shop and that covers you for police etc etc (i think someone pls feel free to correct me on this).

We dont have licences as such but if you pay tax then you are registered but i dont think there is a way to prove it as you do in America.

Hope this makes sense.

Yes ... our tax system is different.

Tax on earnings is worked out annually if you're self employed or a sole trader or monthly if you are on the Pay as you Earn scheme in which case it is the employers responsibility to deduct and pass on. Businessed pay Corporation Tax is they make a profit plus the VAT they have made over and above any outgoings which is paid quarterly or monthly depending on whch scheme you opt for.

As far as working from home this is permissable but you pay business rates on the proportion of the property that is used for business purposes and domestic rates for the remaining area. The local council have to approve the use of domestic properties for working purposes as do landlords if the property is rented, not owned.

In the UK more and more florists are moving out of shops because our rents and rates are so high. I think compared to some figures I saw on another thread we are at least double you guys if not more in some areas.

C

Thanks Carrie. This is the kind of information we need in order to make a fair decision in voting. We can't measure everyone with the same stick because things are different for each country.

So again, I say welcome to the community.

V

Yes ... our tax system is different.

Tax on earnings is worked out annually if you're self employed or a sole trader or monthly if you are on the Pay as you Earn scheme in which case it is the employers responsibility to deduct and pass on. Businessed pay Corporation Tax is they make a profit plus the VAT they have made over and above any outgoings which is paid quarterly or monthly depending on whch scheme you opt for.

As far as working from home this is permissable but you pay business rates on the proportion of the property that is used for business purposes and domestic rates for the remaining area. The local council have to approve the use of domestic properties for working purposes as do landlords if the property is rented, not owned.

In the UK more and more florists are moving out of shops because our rents and rates are so high. I think compared to some figures I saw on another thread we are at least double you guys if not more in some areas.

C

Actually Carrie, my rent was much cheaper than a lot who posted in that thread you know, in the north particularly north west, the local florists can get cheaper rent when they are not based in the town centres. This is an option for those who dont want to pay the big rent like myself.

I also have to say (and this is not a dig at this applicant as she/he is attempting to get another premises), that people working from home are still taking essentially the bigger jobs from florist shops. JMHO.

Actually Carrie, my rent was much cheaper than a lot who posted in that thread you know, in the north particularly north west, the local florists can get cheaper rent when they are not based in the town centres. This is an option for those who dont want to pay the big rent like myself.

I also have to say (and this is not a dig at this applicant as she/he is attempting to get another premises), that people working from home are still taking essentially the bigger jobs from florist shops. JMHO.

Maybe I should re-locate!!!! I'm paying £35 a sq ft just to put the key in the door! As for homeworkers ... don't even get me started ... unless there's a darned good reason for it unless they pay all dues, rents, rates and taxes ..... I'll leave it at that!

Reactions: Palms
So my question becomes... Palms and Carrie, do you feel Home workers should be given the opportunity to be members here? The criteria is having proper licenses, paying business taxes, having proper facilities for the product.

V

I am sorry but i am going to have to be honest, no i dont.

My reasons are these, supermarkets take our bunched trade, homeworkers take the weddings and funerals?

The above two undercut for different reasons but what are we left with??

This is just my independent opinion and i have to say it has changed a little but being in the depths of recession i feel it necessary to look after my own and others REAL business. (sorry to use caps but wanted to emphasise). In my area those that work from home may well pay taxes but they also have full time jobs in other fields.

Oh my

So my question becomes... Palms and Carrie, do you feel Home workers should be given the opportunity to be members here? The criteria is having proper licenses, paying business taxes, having proper facilities for the product.

V

It's going to sound a real cop out but depends on the homeworker and the circumstances.

If we're talking someone who has a fully fitted, dedicated area of their domestic premises/land that offers a bespoke and decent floristry service, they have a tax number and pay their dues then yes ... I would have great difficulty in denying them.

If they are just playing at it, don't declare their income, don't operate a 52 weeks of the year service then I would struggle and want to know what they were offering.

The problem with being too hard and fast is that I know full well there are some freelancers/event florists/arches based/warehouse based florists who are a zillion times better than some shops and therefore have far more to offer even though they aren't in a plate glass fronted building.

My American brother Allen Beck used to operate from a warehouse but IMO had more knowledge and skill in his little finger than a heap of shop florists put together.

C

Just posted in another thread but just to point out that in uk you can earn (net profit) £5000 without paying tax. I am sure that homeworkers can avoid this by doing a few weddings per year once they have managed to put all their expenses in. So the tax thing, they are not really putting anything back in. I know huge generalisation but sometimes you have to.

Thanks for your honestly Paula. :) I can always count on you.

It's a conundrum to be sure. And I must be honest, it gets tiring asking the new applicants if they have legitimate businesses with all the bells and whistles.

I do think with the economy going the way it is, we're going to see more and more trying to survive in their chosen field by moving their locations home. I would rather they do that, than go under and have to go "on the dole".

This applicant had a premises. Because of negative circumstances she's had to take it home. What to do?

V

It is a difficult one V, I just worry about the florist around the corner from her? What if they have membership here, who would take precident? Maybe a poll would be appropriate to all members once and for all perhaps?? I dont feel i have been here long enough to make important decisions but certainly will give my view.

I want to point out that my comments are genuinely not aimed at this applicant, sorry Lyndana that this topic has come up in your thread.

Just posted in another thread but just to point out that in uk you can earn (net profit) £5000 without paying tax. I am sure that homeworkers can avoid this by doing a few weddings per year once they have managed to put all their expenses in. So the tax thing, they are not really putting anything back in. I know huge generalisation but sometimes you have to.

These sort of people fall into this catagory and would NOT get my vote! If they are just playing at it, don't declare their income, don't operate a 52 weeks of the year service then I would struggle and want to know what they were offering.

Reactions: Palms
Status
Not open for further replies.