Status
Not open for further replies.

justducky2

Aug 6, 2007
El Dorado County
www.aspecialdaydesigns.com
State / Prov
CA
Thank you so much for this wonderful board. It's very nice to be able to help and be helped by other people in the floral industry.

If possible, I'd love to see a "Freelancers" board. There are different aspects in the freelancing/event industry than in the b&m industry, and it would nice to be able to have a specific forum on this, so that threads can stay on topic, rather than freelancers/event florists having to defend themselves, and the thread going off topic and getting rather heated.

Thank you for your consideration.

Right or wrong...Many, if not most brick and mortar full service florists view freelancers as a threat to their businesses, which is possibly why threads go astray like you mentioned.

I think this idea would cause more problems.

Either you are a professional florist or a hobbyist.

You two may not have been around for the heated WS debates here in the past, but if you think what has happened with the "home based marketing" thread was bad you haven't seen bad.

In other words, someone could just as easily ask for Non-wire service florist forum.

In addition, there is no way you could lock out traditional flower shops from your proposed home-based flower shop forum. So you could still get people providing negative commentary to your proposed forum.

Joe

Oops - hadn't read it - now I guess I'm gonna have to

Yow! good reading. I love the passions of my fellow florists. Did you know running full service florist is no cake walk?

I got a better idea on the forum deal - give them their own forum without access to the full service florist forums.

Course 12bux would then have a problem as well...

Reactions: 1 person
I wonder why that is? I don't feel that a full service florist is a threat to me or what I do, I worked for a full service shop for 5 years I would never want what they have. I like what I do.~Tracy:GP

Thank you so much for this wonderful board. It's very nice to be able to help and be helped by other people in the floral industry.

If possible, I'd love to see a "Freelancers" board. There are different aspects in the freelancing/event industry than in the b&m industry, and it would nice to be able to have a specific forum on this, so that threads can stay on topic, rather than freelancers/event florists having to defend themselves, and the thread going off topic and getting rather heated.

Thank you for your consideration.

I agree with justducky. I felt like I had to defend myself as well, just because I'm not B&M. I really don't see what the problem is in B&M as opposed to non-B&M. We all love flowers and designing. Isn't what FC is all about? Just to share a bit of good news- I responded to one of Florist Review's surveys, and will be featured in the September issue- I don't remember being asked if I worked from home or not.

I work very hard to make my business not look like I work from home, because of the negative attitudes some people have toward home based businesses. And, it doesn't matter to any of my clients that I work from home. I'm a skilled professional, and that's what they see first. WHERE I work from doesn't matter.

The comments I've read over the past few days didn't seem to be about professionals vs. hobbyists. All I saw were comments about "basement bettys", "interlopers" and the like, which, although everyone is entitled to their opinion, I found insulting. I'm not here as a hobbyist, or trying to steal someone's ideas or clients-I'm here to contribute. The comments I've read on this board is the reason why I've had to fly by the seat of my pants for the past 5 years and struggle and run my business to the best of MY ability. Anytime I asked another floral designer a business related question, I was treated like I was trying to steal their clients.

There are billions of people in this world- someone has to like what I do. There's definitely enough $$ to go around. I wouldn't want to subscribe to a wire service, but if it's what helps you (or anyone else) keep their doors open, who am I to complain?

I am in the process of creating the perfect job/career for myself, and help build a future for my family. It works for me. I am a corporate legal secretary by trade. I took a pay cut because floral design is what I love.

Joe, I'm not actually proposing to lock anyone out of a freelancers forum...it's just a place that we could ask each other questions in peace...anyone would be able to view and to contribute. We do have some things that we do differently than b&m, such as our advertising goals...and by asking each other, maybe b&m florists wouldn't feel so threatened, or feel that they are giving away their "secrets"...or for the threads to go as off-topic. We just want to have discussions in peace, and not have everything revert to, why are you home-based? We do what we do, we ARE professional florists, enough of the debate, it gets us nowhere and takes us away from the reason we are all in the flowerchat community.

If some of the b&m florists would stop acting the way they do towards us, we could post in peace on the other forums (there are a few b&m that ruin it, there are many very nice, helpful b&m on here, and I thank them). There are some antagonists on the forums, and they seem to enjoy making threads go astray. We just want peace. BMs won't have to look at the freelancer forum if they can't stand freelancers.

I'm a bit perplexed that there are so many here, as well as I must admit now I see reasons to not share what I consider trade secrets as openly.

I thought it took owning or working at a B & M flower shop to become a member here...

We all love flowers and designing. Isn't what FC is all about?

Flower Chat is far and above more than being all about flowers and designing.

I'm a bit perplexed that there are so many here, as well as I must admit now I see reasons to not share what I consider trade secrets as openly.

I thought it took owning or working at a B & M flower shop to become a member here...

I don't see why the "trade secrets" of B&M are any better than non-B&M.

da.n, I had a great post for this thread and I got timed out.

I will try to repost later.

Just one point, your proposed new forum won't work.

We would still be allowed to comment on your forum and you would still be able to read all posts on the Real Florists forums (Real Florists is a term used here alot and it is not meant to be an attack on your side) Do some searches and you will find the meaning of its roots.

So the point is moot.

Basement Betty's: My definition: Anyone who works out of their basement and has evolved from the crafty or silk arrangements into adding some cut flowers. Successfully poking some stems in Sahara and not having the flowers fall out does not constitute a floral designer.

Years of learning scale, rhytmn, balance, COLOR, mechanics, etc does.

You can't learn this stuff on your in own "on-the-job" work experiences. These are elements of design that are taught, by teachers.

Peace and antagonism: Some of you stay at home florists have asked some really elementary questions. These questions have caused some Pro.florists to conclude that maybe you shouldn't be in this business until you learn more about flower care, handling and design. The posts in the other may have seemed harsh to you, but remember you are the ones asking for help from us the retail professional real flower shop owners and designers.

But, hey, its a free market economy and if you think you know enough to be successfull, GO FOR IT. Chances of you failing is great.

Respectfully:
Joe

Reactions: 2 people
I don't know about anyone else, but when I visit the forum, I just hit the "new posts" button.

I don't think having a freelance forum will help - the posts still show up there, and they are still open to comment by anyone.

I think freelancers just need to be smarter about their posts.

I think freelancers just need to be smarter about their posts.

Quote of the day!!!

There is no need for a separate forum for home based florists. In my opinion you are either a professional florist or a hobbyist. This forum is specifically for "Floral Professionals" so if you don't think that you fit into that category maybe this isn't the place for you. It doesn't matter where you work as long as you carry yourself and conduct your business in a professional manner.

I think this idea would cause more problems.

Either you are a professional florist or a hobbyist.

You two may not have been around for the heated WS debates here in the past, but if you think what has happened with the "home based marketing" thread was bad you haven't seen bad.

In other words, someone could just as easily ask for Non-wire service florist forum.

In addition, there is no way you could lock out traditional flower shops from your proposed home-based flower shop forum. So you could still get people providing negative commentary to your proposed forum.

Joe

Joe, I agree.

It's a bit of a catch 22 isn't it. We all have to be able to tolerate the heat in kitchen if we want to be a part of the scene.

I found this description of FC when I googled us...

Message board focusing on flower shop operations, products, technology, marketing and design in the US, Canada and the UK. Includes directory and image ...

I think comparing home-based business to a brick and mortar shop is somewhat like comparing apples and oranges. Nor do I see any point in denigrating either of them. I also see no point in dividing the players... we're all in it to learn, even from the criticism.

V

Reactions: 2 people
There are many boards out there that I have come across over the years dedicated to just design and home based businesses. I have found that they are limited to a few members and if a really experienced person joins there is not any substance there for them. This is also true of florist boards. Most of them are limited on members and the substance is nil. here on florist chat it is very informative, professional chat...No basic namby pamby I put two flowers in a vase today what did you do, bullcrap....This is why I stay here. I feel if I have a question I can get a real true to life florists opinion or take on that question without explaining the basics on why I am asking the question...

da.n, I had a great post for this thread and I got timed out.

I will try to repost later.

Just one point, your proposed new forum won't work.

We would still be allowed to comment on your forum and you would still be able to read all posts on the Real Florists forums (Real Florists is a term used here alot and it is not meant to be an attack on your side) Do some searches and you will find the meaning of its roots.

So the point is moot.

Basement Betty's: My definition: Anyone who works out of their basement and has evolved from the crafty or silk arrangements into adding some cut flowers. Successfully poking some stems in Sahara and not having the flowers fall out does not constitute a floral designer.

Years of learning scale, rhytmn, balance, COLOR, mechanics, etc does.

You can't learn this stuff on your in own "on-the-job" work experiences. These are elements of design that are taught, by teachers.

Peace and antagonism: Some of you stay at home florists have asked some really elementary questions. These questions have caused some Pro.florists to conclude that maybe you shouldn't be in this business until you learn more about flower care, handling and design. The posts in the other may have seemed harsh to you, but remember you are the ones asking for help from us the retail professional real flower shop owners and designers.

But, hey, its a free market economy and if you think you know enough to be successfull, GO FOR IT. Chances of you failing is great.

Respectfully:
Joe

Somebody Red Dotted me for this comment.

Their comment was "Thank God you are not a teacher"

no signature given.

Joe

Reactions: 4 people
Somebody Red Dotted me for this comment.

Their comment was "Thank God you are not a teacher"

no signature given.

Joe

Joe,
With your many posts, I don't think one red dot against you will hurt. I personally like hearing what you have to say and respect your ideas and opinions as an experienced business owner who learned from experienced business owners. I think you would make a great teacher or mentor for anyone interested in this field especially where your place has managed to stand the test of time and morph and change and still survive.

I really think that we should have to leave a signature for good or bad comments in the reputation area. I have gotten many reputation points from people and do not know who liked my posts. I would equally like to know who didn't like my posts and why just for personal growth. Thanks to any who have sent me rep points without any sig...I appreciate it...

Status
Not open for further replies.