Maybe a new freelancer forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having never "red dotted" anyone, I've always signed my posts.

Lori, you're right in your assessment about Joe and his reputation... it will remain positively intact. :)

The debate is the key... do we learn or do we cast aspersions? I prefer to learn; and I do.

V

Reactions: 1 person
Hey Joe, I got one too!! also no signature! what are the chances they came from the same person??? I think whoever it is likes me less than you because the comment to me was a lot nastier than yours.

Reactions: 3 people
Why don't you turn them in. Then you will all know who is sending them!:cat:~Tracy

Turn them in? That's a little second grade, dontcha think?. While it does stink to get negative (or positive) rep from an unknown source sometimes I accidentally forget to add my name to my comment, positive and negative. But I think I have only given negative rep once on this board.

What does red-dotted mean?

When you comment with adding "reputation" to an individual post - by clicking the scales. You can approve (green) or disapprove (red).

tracy

This Thread Needs to Die!!!!!!!

This thread reminds me of my home town ...where there are now 40 churches in a town of 800. It is creating devisivness. As tough of shape as most retail florists are in....we can't afford it. Let's ditch this discussion. I favor free speech....but I will gladly speak up against things that I deem bad for our community. I do not think this discussion is healthy, and therefore....recommend that we table the discussion. Let's find ways to work on things of common interest.

All the best

Reactions: 3 people
And Mike, I now add to your rep. :)

V

Well, there is one consolation to all involved in this industry....whether you work from your home, a brick and mortar storefront, or a clicks and order internet store......and yes, this is a bit of a plug.....there is always the benefits of seeking membership in AIFD. As CHR, Carol Bice, Myself, and quite a few of us on FC.....welcome all designers...regardless of how, where and when you work with the beautiful world of flowers.

Well, there is one consolation to all involved in this industry....whether you work from your home, a brick and mortar storefront, or a clicks and order internet store......and yes, this is a bit of a plug.....there is always the benefits of seeking membership in AIFD. As CHR, Carol Bice, Myself, and quite a few of us on FC.....welcome all designers...regardless of how, where and when you work with the beautiful world of flowers.

I believe you hit the head on the nail!! I tried to say that but all I got was the axe. They jump all over it.. I LOVE FLOWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!! You all have a wonderful night and make lot's of people happy tomorrow with your beautiful creations.From Tracy:blowkiss:

That is exactly why I am so hip on this industry and so vocal about and in encouraging designers of all walks to actively seek out and strive for Accreditation In Floral Design and become a member of AIFD. The benefits far outweigh the cons.

I just went on Google to look up accreditation into AIFD WOW!! very nice I am impressed. Is this something anyone of us can try? What I read seems like anyone with design experience and around 2,000 can try! Very nice I am sure you have earned your wings, and thats very impressive.~Tracy:bouquet2:

It is a little more involved than a simple try. You can visit the official website of AIFD.... http://www.aifd.org to learn a good deal more about the accreditation process.

There you can also learn more about the mission and purpose that we members strive for. Which is to promote higher standards and artistry in the field of professional floral design.

One of the very first things I would suggest to you is to attend an AIFD sponsored or affliated conference or symposium. Research has shown that those designers wishing to acheive Accreditation fare better in the evaluation session than those who have not been exposed to the level of artistry needed.

The actual Accreditation Evaluation Sesion (AES) is where your testing would take place, You are given four hours to create 5 designs. Then these designs are evaluated by trained evaluators and judged according to the standards of principles and elements of design. So, Please understand, learn, and know the principles and elements of design and know them well.

To give you an example of how hard the AES can be.....I'll go back a few years to National symposuim in New York. Over 180 designers did the AES session and of that number....64 passed.

When I did my AES.....The 5 designs we were given was a design suitable for the top of a casket, a buffet table arrangement, a design to be worn in the hair, an attendants bouquet to carry, and a designer's choice. I chose a cremation design for my designer's choice....I work in a shop next door to a funeral home. This was a design that I was comfortable in making. As a fellow member instructed me and it was sage advice " I did what I know to do and did it WELL"

The major categories of design will be there.....what type of design within that category will change from year to year. There will be a sympathy tribute, an arrangement, flowers to wear, a wedding design, and a desgner's choice.

There are people out there who have tried at least 5 times to acheive accreditation.

So, please study, learn and practice the principlies and elements of design and when you feel you are confident enough......take the AES....and perhaps I will see you walk across that stage and be officially pinned and recognized as member AIFD.
Then after that, There is the continuing education requirement that must be met.....this ensures that we continue to learn, grow, and advance our knowledge.

Like any advanced education, AIFD or the Canadian equivalent requires strong dedication, talent, investment of time and money.

The folks who have the letters have spent much time and money to be successful... it doesn't come easily.

V

Yes Rick I had read all of that.I can see it's not just a matter of showing up and making a few flower arrangements. What a nice organization to be a part and as for the one"S who don't make it the first and 2nd time, I say try,try again.Now Is this in Chicago and one one time a year? and when do they announce when they will have their conference or symposium. Also where does that take place?~Tracy

Once again the question that started this thread has gone unanswered.

I've got the answer.

Home businesses and freelancers probably have more time on their hands than B&M shops or Ryan. So I vote one of parties that wants a forum just for freelancing to take the bull by the horns and create your own forum. I believe there are template sites out there on the net that can set you up easily and without much hassle.

JMHO

Yes Rick I had read all of that.I can see it's not just a matter of showing up and making a few flower arrangements. What a nice organization to be a part and as for the one"S who don't make it the first and 2nd time, I say try,try again.Now Is this in Chicago and one one time a year? and when do they announce when they will have their conference or symposium. Also where does that take place?~Tracy

The AES takes place during the national symposium. This coming year National will be held in Chicago, The following year in Kansas City, Mo.
The host city and host region changes from year to year. The dates of national symposium always are around the fourth of July week.

According to some fellow members that were present at our state convention a couple of weeks ago, they are looking to move some of the symposiums from just major destination cities and into some of the second tier locations to help lower costs slightly.

If you went to the AIFD site and looked at the images from this past symposium...then you saw just a small sampling of the incredible artistry that you will see.

In fact, at this pst symposium, one of our FC members, CHR and her husband were honored by AIFD with our Award of Service to the Floral Industry - Congratulatons again Cathy:bouquet2:

I consider myself a professional florist! That's the way a earn a living. I have read the latest heated thread and decided to stay out of it as I didn't think my comments would change anyone's mind or truly add to their knowledge.
We all have our opinions and crosses to bear, as it were. I don't think a freelance forum is necessary. I can learn and hopefully contribute from a professional forum no matter where I practice my trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.