Maybe a new freelancer forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must admit also.

I'm a bit perplexed that there are so many here, as well as I must admit now I see reasons to not share what I consider trade secrets as openly.

I thought it took owning or working at a B & M flower shop to become a member here...
While I am setting myself up for a red dot, I agree with the first statement. I would be very reluctant to share my "florist" ideas and marketing to a freelancer/home based person as well as persons with a mass merchandiser's floral department just for "the love of flowers". With a B&M florist, we are all competing on pretty much a level playing field. Call it short sided or whatever....

In the second statement, I guess any person that has ever purchased a cut flower or silk at their local discount store could say they are a "floral-related" business in the application to flowerchat....just check "other". Question, just wondering how does flowerchat admin handle the "will be verified" qualification?

"Business NamePlease indicate the name of your floral-related business. This field is required, and will be verified."

Reactions: 1 person
I consider myself a professional florist! That's the way a earn a living. I have read the latest heated thread and decided to stay out of it as I didn't think my comments would change anyone's mind or truly add to their knowledge.
We all have our opinions and crosses to bear, as it were. I don't think a freelance forum is necessary. I can learn and hopefully contribute from a professional forum no matter where I practice my trade.

Kebbie, just like Wink, you are not involved with the discussion at hand. You conduct yourself and your business in a professional manner and I don't think that there is anyone on this board who could, intelligently, dispute that you are welcome here. Just because your business is primarily event focused doesn't make you anything less than a professional.

IMHO, if you go the extra mile to attain AIFD accreditation...there's no second guessing that you have a place on this board no matter where you conduct your business.

I have no problems with freelance designers signing up on this board as long as, like I have said before, they conduct themselves in a professional, educated manner.

WOW went from 2 reds to 4 reds!!! thanks guys!

I realise I'm probably whistling in the wind here, but why not adjust the attitude to a level that enhances your input... just a suggestion.

I'm sure you will react with the banal "he said she said", but I would then ask... why lower your standards too?

Kind regards.

Victoria

Where do you find this on AIFD's website?

One of the very first things I would suggest to you is to attend an AIFD sponsored or affliated conference or symposium. Research has shown that those designers wishing to acheive Accreditation fare better in the evaluation session than those who have not been exposed to the level of artistry needed.

Rick,
Where do you find these symposiums/conferences on their website. I went to the website a few weeks ago and couldn't find where one is being held...

I've considered doing this for many years and am finally wanting to do this for me. My designers have encouraged me to do this, but I've always shyed (sp?) away from it.

I'd love to know where to look for a symposium/conference.

(Rick, sorry, I see know that you already answered the question....I hadn't read on in the thread. Oops!)

I've considered doing this for many years and am finally wanting to do this for me. My designers have encouraged me to do this, but I've always shyed (sp?) away from it.

I can fully understand the desire to " do this for me ". A number of years ago, I won my state's Designer of the year title.....this enabled me to compete in a regional DOY - I had just broken up with a partner and performed extremely poorly.

I was so mad at myself for allowing emotions to clog my skills.....I made mistakes that I know better than to make. So.....I vowed then that one day I would repeat the opportunity...when I became eligible to again compete....I went for it. Won SC DOY for a second time, went to regional and did some of the best designing I have ever done. Did I care if I won or not....no....I wanted to prove to no one else but to me that I was the capable designer I knew I was.

I have often said; Earning the FTD Master Designer title was for the benefit of my paying customers, Earning AIFD was for me and for credibility in the industry - competing in regionals for the second time....was just for me.

Now that FTD has lapsed into it's current state of shoddy affairs.....I am pushing as hard as I can to get AIFD recognized by my paying customers as the mark of excellence that it is.

Now that FTD has lapsed into it's current state of shoddy affairs.....I am pushing as hard as I can to get AIFD recognized by my paying customers as the mark of excellence that it is.

Rick - the best we found we could do with it as far as advertising it was to use it as an acronym for

Accredited In Floral Design - which translates better to consumers I do believe.

That's in our yellow pages advertising.

I would like to invite you all to attend the AIFD Southern Conference in Pensacola, FL in 2008. It is a smaller and more affordable option to the National Symposium. We just confirmed our line up of designers/presenters today. Giving programs will be Raplh Null, Joyce Mason-Monhiem, Bert Ford, Cory Lonsert, Rene van Rems, Susie Kostik and Matt Wood. Please forgive me for not adding all the initials and qualifications behind each of their names.

You do not have to be a member to attend. In fact we encourage all retail florists to come share the educational experience and network with others.

If any of you would like to get on a mailing list for info please send me a message with your address and I'll make sure you get registration info. You can also find it on the aifd.org website. It will be held on March 7-9, 2008.

There will also be a seminar on testing and accreditation included. Joyce Mason-Monheim will be giving that presentation. She has been on the membership comittee for many years.

Hope to meet you all at the beach.

Kebbie,

Thank you very much for posting the info.

tracy

Bert Ford is one of the best sympathy presenters I have ever seen......Matt has a true talent for permanents....and you got little Corey too....he is soo much fun.

And for those who are interested in achieving AIFD......Attend the class with Joyce. She is extremely talented and informative. I had the opportunity to work with Joyce at Southern Retail where we had a Steps to Membership. You will see what will pass the AES and what will not.....and trust me.....You will be surprised at what you learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.