Not open for further replies.

BBJ (Big Bad John)

Flower Dude
Oct 31, 2002
Chesterville
State / Prov
ON
More updates...............

Seems that every Ontario Conference has it's challenges! (three years in a row we had accommodations that were either under bankruptcy protection or just taken over after going through a bankruptcy) Well sure enough this year we had to have a challenge too!!!

Our designer (Charles Sylvan Blanchette) had a water skiing accident a couple of weeks ago and is unable to do the design show or the workshop!!!

But as always we are equal to the challenge and have come up with an alternate designer (Celiane Berthiaume), I have posted her bio and picture on the Ontario Florist Conference web site as well as a link to our Saturday morning speakers web site so you can also check out what we are offering........It's going to be a great conference!!!

Check it out at http://a1florists.com/ofc

It is not easy...

to put one of these conferences together, and I and Sandie applaud you guys for the amazing resiliancy you you and Sheila are showing here!!
It is true about some of the "venues" that have been chosen for OFC in the past, and I don't think THOSE challenges are about to go away anytime soon!!
We're VERY MUCH looking forward to meeting up with the BEST florists in Ontario and friends....
Mike

Enquiring floral types would like to know - who's going to be at the conference?

Gudrun and I will be there - since I'm front office - I get to go on the winery/cider tour. Woo.:beer

Audra

Janis and I will be there! Just look for the Stylin' Black / Grey Honda Element ;)

Wow, just looked into the driving instructions for this Conference... and people think I live in booneybooney land. Geez, people, can we find a more obscure location for the next one?

Audra
Who's travel map looks like a game of twister.

Don't tell Marvin he lives in booneybooney land!!

But really it's closer than several of the previous conferences have been....Kingston X2...Ottawa....Brockville!

And then again some of the ones north of Toronto or west of Toronto have been miles away from other florists that attend from Eastern Ontario.

Hey BJ, I think you should have it in Newfoundland next time so all these Ontario crowd will get to see the best part of Canada; better tell them they're not allowed to stay though!
Jane and I were considering coming up but for obvious reasons we won't be there...have a great time......

Simple answer ... have it in Toronto every year!

EVERY road leads to Toronto :)

Originally posted by Rock
Hey BJ, I think you should have it in Newfoundland next time so all these Ontario crowd will get to see the best part of Canada; better tell them they're not allowed to stay though!
Jane and I were considering coming up but for obvious reasons we won't be there...have a great time......

actually my thoughts for 1 of the conferences was to have it on a cruise ship along the great lakes with stops at several locations to pick up more "Party Animals" oops I meant florists, but I couldn't quite figure out the linguistics (keeping the price in range, and keeping the conference in line with a 3 day event, etc.) but now if we started at Thunder Bay and travelled through the Great Lakes and then down the St Lawrence River to the Rock and then around Nova Scotia..........sheesh we could keep going down the seaboard picking up more Party Animals all the time and end up at the next FTD Convention.............but how would we get the boat to Vegas??? and would FTD give us free rooms??? :porttopor

I'm sure they'd give me SOMETHING free .... ;)

Be it a kick in the head, cardboard box for sleeping ... you get the idea.

Originally posted by BBJ (Big Bad John)

But really it's closer than several of the previous conferences have been....Kingston X2...Ottawa....Brockville!

And then again some of the ones north of Toronto or west of Toronto have been miles away from other florists that attend from Eastern Ontario.

:eek: Everything is far away from us! It's not like I'm crying a river but looking at map quest, I hear the strains of 'Three hour tour' going through my mind.

Audra
Who always liked Gilligan.

Originally posted by BBJ (Big Bad John)

I'm all for Luc hosting the next one! At least that way we'd be able to find the flipping thing! I hate these 10 hour car rides.

NOTE: If you guys don't see Gudrun or I before 7 p.m. Friday please call Search and Rescue (I hear there's a good group out of Trenton), we're lost somewhere between Taylor Corners and Precious Corners. Bring Chocolate and Coffee.

Audra
Did someone say "Road Trip"?

Boonies!! It's all boonies!!

But, that's ok. We can all crash at Marvin's :)

Hey, Marvin, got any extra beds? Just in case a few :beer happy florists wander off the resort land.

Originally posted by Infinite
I'm sure they'd give me SOMETHING free .... ;)
Be it a kick in the head, cardboard box for sleeping ... you get the idea.

Dude, that is not nice. No one should aspire to get a kick in the head. :rolleyes:

Audra
Who knows that kicks in the butt are always free here.

Ryan and I don't "aspire" to...

but we get 'em anyway!!
Besides, after a few "brewskies"...you don't even FEEL it...trust me!!:tongue
We'd LOVE to host a conference closer to the north, however, we've TRIED the north, and still the same people come!
It's relative to how important it is to "network" directly with the people you do the MOST business with (Ontario Florists)!!
Many of us come year after year...just BECAUSE it's THAT important!
Mike:beer

I was hoping to follow you Audra to our destination in Picton. Maybe it would be wise for me to take the long way around instead of getting loss.
As for the north, WE have anice place called Laurentian Lodge. THey just built a nice Banquet Hall. We can easily have everything in there. FOr those who wants to, maybe at that time our 9 hole gold course will be tunred into 18 holes or Laurentian Lodge is right by a lake ful of fishes ready to be caught. And they even got boat rentals.
Audra, doesnt is amaze you a little bit that some people from down south are scare to travel up north, but we in another hand we like to go down south. Even having it in Northbay or even Sudbury would benifit everyone.
If the same florist will still come to the North from the south Mikey then why not have it in the North every 2-3 years or so.
Even in Parry Sound, I am sure you can find a n ice resort to go to..
Luc

You WANT an OFC Conference in the NORTH....

volunteer your time to the OFC Board, become "chair" and then YOU can choose where it is you want the OFC Conference.
When you become "responsible" for it, you get to choose!
There is a LARGE CORE GROUP of Ontario Florists that will travel almost anywhere within reason, and SO FAR, the ONLY people to "volunteer" their time and efforts to plan and execute this GREAT conference, have been from the southwest, south, and southeast areas of Ontario.
We have NO PROBLEMS having "new" additions to the board, that are TRULY WILLING to take on this challenge, and taking the "bull" by the horns.
IF you, or ANYONE are game, please approach one of the event co-ordinators during THIS weekend, and the post conference meeting held right AFTER the conference will consider all new people to join the board.
You MUST UNDERSTAND....the "chair" chooses the venue for EACH and EVERY conference, and it ONLY MAKES SENSE, that he/she chooses a site that is convenient for "them"...it's the way it is.
We'd LOVE an OFC Conference in North Bay, or Parry Sound, or Sudbury..are YOU game to take it "on"?? we KNOW you know HOW TO!!
Sandie:buttkick

I have worked on a few program and I didnt know how the person was selected to chair the conference. I know there is lots and lots of work involve and it is probably easier in a way when everyopne is down south and I am not shy at helping any organization. I have done it in the past and I have done severeal shows in Sudbury with the last one having 160 people for a dinner/show. I lot more that other southern group can muster up.
Maybe I will throw my hat to chair next years convention. That is something I will think about. I don't want to step on anyones toes, I just want to show that the north can be a nice place to have a convention. I was actually thinking of doing something in the north next October since it is time to do it again.
We will have to see....But i will still need the expertise of the group on the board now to help me and maybe I can even persuade a few florists in Sudbury and Sault Ste Marie to help me also. How about it Audra....seems organization can be part of your domain. Would you help????
Luc

Status
Not open for further replies.